Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Don't do this. Seriously. The EV on a Theros booster is $1.75. You aren't going to get tradable, or even playable, stuff regularly. And getting ~bummed~ because you got a playable, tradable card that you have a playset of is a dumb reaction considering your stated goals.

Ok I should have mentioned I have no desire to play R/W burn and the temple playset has been for trade on deckbox for weeks with no bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

morning wood posted:

Ok I should have mentioned I have no desire to play R/W burn and the temple playset has been for trade on deckbox for weeks with no bites.

Have you tried to set up trades offering them to other users? Protip: before trading, scan over the Resolved BTRs. It'll save you a lot of trouble.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I'm shocked Gavin Verhey wrote the mothership article titled "Such Article, Very Meme". What the gently caress, dude.

VVV
I know about April Fool's and how it turns everything terrible. I just somehow was unsurprised he was the one to write it.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 1, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Check the date, friend. Everyone's a comedian.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

a dozen swans posted:

I'm loving shocked Gavin Verhey wrote the mothership article titled "Such Article, Very Meme". What the gently caress, dude.

It's best to just pretend the entire internet doesn't exist from 11:59 on March 31st to midnight on April 2nd

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how many people are aware of this, but there was a recent price spike on... Autumn Willow. It seems that mtgstocks.com got their price data from a source that had a random fluctuation, and suddenly, Autumn Willow jumped up to $15 for a very short amount of time. Prices fixed themselves temporarily, but speculators had already gone into high gear. The card was instantly out of stock everywhere, and Autumn Willows were going on eBay for $4 a card. And they still are, though they're not actually selling for anywhere near that. eBay aside, it's caused some crazy panic amongst traders on other sites, where, unlike eBay, there isn't a massive market to price correct mistakes like this.

The store owner of my LGS was talking about this, and just as he finished, like right on time, someone walked in and tried to stealthily ask the employee how many Autumn Willows they had. When he had like twelve of them in his hand for the dollar and change each that they were marked, he was ecstatic, and caught the store owner's eye and panic set in. The owner laughed and said "Go ahead, I've got like thirty more, you better get those on eBay fast!" There's been a pretty big problem with the huge price spikes lately and people coming in and taking advantage of low prices on poo poo like Ancient Tomb, so the customer was just happy he "got away with it". (The owner says he doesn't care, since he made his money on them anyway; it's when people don't tell him that he gets a little annoyed.)

I love that Magic speculation culture caused a mass freak-out over Autumn Willow, of all cards. Partially because it was the first card I ever remember being considered overpriced, even when Moxen were $25; but also because it proves that price spikes are literally based on nothing but the people who missed out on the Legacy/Modern price booms being terrified they might miss out on the "next big thing".

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Don't make fun of stupid speculators and artificial price bubbles or some guy with a blogspot is going to come in here so mad at you!!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm really, really tempted to cash out my collection right now to pay for a vacation. I have so many of these dumb cards, but not enough to make any eternal decks except legacy burn. I don't even play anymore, and I'm guessing the bubble won't get thaaaaaaaat much higher.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

I'm really, really tempted to cash out my collection right now to pay for a vacation. I have so many of these dumb cards, but not enough to make any eternal decks except legacy burn. I don't even play anymore, and I'm guessing the bubble won't get thaaaaaaaat much higher.

The Legacy bubble probably does stand to go higher, but the Modern one probably has a short time left. People are getting their Modern staples now for the PTQ season, and once everyone has what they want, they're going to sit on them until Modern season is over. Literally all it's going to take is for one high-priced Modern staple to get reprinted in a Standard-legal set before people panic and realize that there's no card in Modern on the reserve list.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BJPaskoff posted:

The Legacy bubble probably does stand to go higher, but the Modern one probably has a short time left. People are getting their Modern staples now for the PTQ season, and once everyone has what they want, they're going to sit on them until Modern season is over. Literally all it's going to take is for one high-priced Modern staple to get reprinted in a Standard-legal set before people panic and realize that there's no card in Modern on the reserve list.

Why would the next staple do it when the shocks and Thoughtseize didn't? Not trying to be antagonistic, I'm curious what you think is going to be different this time around.

When (if) MMA 2: Good-Faith Print Run hits, that's when you'll see Modern price-pumpers figuratively jumping out of windows. I'm not convinced anything before that is going to shatter the entrenched culture for anything more than the specific cards in question.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Why would the next staple do it when the shocks and Thoughtseize didn't? Not trying to be antagonistic, I'm curious what you think is going to be different this time around.

When (if) MMA 2: Good-Faith Print Run hits, that's when you'll see Modern price-pumpers figuratively jumping out of windows. I'm not convinced anything before that is going to shatter the entrenched culture for anything more than the specific cards in question.

Ah, I guess you're right. The Shocks hit before the Modern price boom, and Thoughtseize shortly after/during it, but still. I guess what I should say is: when the fetches get reprinted, I'm sure that will shake people up. That's a lot of cards suddenly being devalued.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, no. L5R is down over 90% of its playerbase (and sales) from its peak because AEG has done everything in its power to sabotage every CCG they have produced at every turn. This isn't new, and it actually started back under FRPG.

Ah, right. Wouldn't know since I only started playing in Emperor. They had a post on their website during tournament season about tournament attendance being really the lowest its ever been. Hopefully this season is better.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker

paired with every sacrife spell or ability ever

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pizzatime posted:

Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker

paired with every sacrife spell or ability ever

Also, it has a lock with Chimney Imp, which I find hilarious.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Jabor posted:

Also, it has a lock with Chimney Imp, which I find hilarious.

I run Chimney Imp in my Shirei EDH deck :shobon: People conceding when it hits the table is the best thing ever.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't know how many people are aware of this, but there was a recent price spike on... Autumn Willow. It seems that mtgstocks.com got their price data from a source that had a random fluctuation, and suddenly, Autumn Willow jumped up to $15 for a very short amount of time. Prices fixed themselves temporarily, but speculators had already gone into high gear. The card was instantly out of stock everywhere, and Autumn Willows were going on eBay for $4 a card. And they still are, though they're not actually selling for anywhere near that. eBay aside, it's caused some crazy panic amongst traders on other sites, where, unlike eBay, there isn't a massive market to price correct mistakes like this.

The store owner of my LGS was talking about this, and just as he finished, like right on time, someone walked in and tried to stealthily ask the employee how many Autumn Willows they had. When he had like twelve of them in his hand for the dollar and change each that they were marked, he was ecstatic, and caught the store owner's eye and panic set in. The owner laughed and said "Go ahead, I've got like thirty more, you better get those on eBay fast!" There's been a pretty big problem with the huge price spikes lately and people coming in and taking advantage of low prices on poo poo like Ancient Tomb, so the customer was just happy he "got away with it". (The owner says he doesn't care, since he made his money on them anyway; it's when people don't tell him that he gets a little annoyed.)

I love that Magic speculation culture caused a mass freak-out over Autumn Willow, of all cards. Partially because it was the first card I ever remember being considered overpriced, even when Moxen were $25; but also because it proves that price spikes are literally based on nothing but the people who missed out on the Legacy/Modern price booms being terrified they might miss out on the "next big thing".

I read a guy who collects them as his thing decided to go nuts and that's what caused the spike

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

jassi007 posted:

I read a guy who collects them as his thing decided to go nuts and that's what caused the spike

This is exactly correct. There's a guy in a certain Facebook group I am a part of who bought out every major retailer. This is not a speculative rise and people who are buying into this are godddamn idiots.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BTW, I love how m14 packs have the highest ev in standard.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Madmarker posted:

BTW, I love how m14 packs have the highest ev in standard.

Purely because of Mutavault. Every other set with a card that valuable has it at Mythic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Promoted Pawn posted:

Purely because of Mutavault. Every other set with a card that valuable has it at Mythic.

This is known as "The Thragtusk Effect".

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Are you guys using MTGStocks.com for EV of packs or is there somewhere else?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't know how many people are aware of this, but there was a recent price spike on... Autumn Willow. It seems that mtgstocks.com got their price data from a source that had a random fluctuation, and suddenly, Autumn Willow jumped up to $15 for a very short amount of time. Prices fixed themselves temporarily, but speculators had already gone into high gear. The card was instantly out of stock everywhere, and Autumn Willows were going on eBay for $4 a card.
The idea of Autumn Willow suddenly surging back to her Homelands chase-rare price for stupid random reasons warms the cockles of my heart.

What's next, a run on Balduvian Horde?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Skippin' work to do some early morning cube~

http://hitbox.tv/marchhare

Going to try Very Hard not to scrub out round 1 this time.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Entropic posted:

The idea of Autumn Willow suddenly surging back to her Homelands chase-rare price for stupid random reasons warms the cockles of my heart.

Don't worry, if she's not played in a real deck (she's not), she'll be back to her pre spike price before long. Probably once all the lovely speculators (and by this I don't mean all speculators are lovely, but that the ones buying into Autumn Willow are) realize they have nobody to offload her on.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wish there was a site that collated price lists from the old rags like Inquest and Scrye back in the day. I'd love to see charts of the price history on cards in Ice Age and Alliances and Homelands when they first came out.

Off the top of my head I remember Balduvian Horde, Jester's Cap, and Autumn willow being >$20 chase rares.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Does anyone know where I can buy the booklets from the fat packs separate? I like reading the "THIS SET'S STORYLINE FOR DUMMIES" and card overviews that come with them, but I don't want to pay $40 for that and 9 booster packs I've opened dozens of already.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

I wish there was a site that collated price lists from the old rags like Inquest and Scrye back in the day. I'd love to see charts of the price history on cards in Ice Age and Alliances and Homelands when they first came out.

Off the top of my head I remember Balduvian Horde, Jester's Cap, and Autumn willow being >$20 chase rares.

No. Autumn Willow topped out at $10-12. And she saw more tournament play than any of the rest.

But, Inquest and Scrye were effectively RNGs back in the day. They had price floors on uncommons (~$0.75-1.50) and rares (~$3-5) which meant the EV on packs was like double MSRP (which of course was not the case). The price compression on rares was absurd. Low end rares like Ebony Horse were $2-4, while tournament playables like Ivory Tower or Mana Vault barely cracked $3-5. Stupid hyped timmy poo poo like Leviathan and Lord of the Pit were often double that, but nobody but little kids would trade at those values. It was a nightmare.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
So I was thinking about the Overload Templating and how it could be interesting and I thought of this card:

Overkill [Cost1]
Sorcery
Destroy Target Creature.
Overload - [Cost2].

I thought the card would be pretty fair at 1BB and 3BB for Cost1 and Cost2, but there was some discussion on how strong it would be. Supposing that Overload as a mechanic gets detached from Izzet Flavor, what would be reasonable values for Cost1 and Cost2?

Note that the Overload is a Damnation and not a Plague Wind.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

BJPaskoff posted:

Ah, I guess you're right. The Shocks hit before the Modern price boom, and Thoughtseize shortly after/during it, but still. I guess what I should say is: when the fetches get reprinted, I'm sure that will shake people up. That's a lot of cards suddenly being devalued.

The thing that pisses me off about this entire concept is that the majority of those who are outraged at the idea of a Modern reprint devaluing their "investment" acquired the cards when they were cheap (or in boosters) and now are "worth" a lot more. They're angry at the possibility of losing money they NEVER HAD! I get it if you're that guy who actually bought 4 Misty Rainforests at retail from a store this week, but if you're willing to drop that kind of cash knowing a reprint might happen, that's on you. Mourning the potential loss of theoretical dollars is just stupid, what you're really losing is the justification you use for dropping as much money as we do on this hobby. You're not entitled to always see that card's value rise uncontrollably just because that's what's been happening.

There's a guy at my local store who comes to mind whenever I think about this idea. He can never shut up about the value of his collection. Every week is him repetitively announcing, "Wow, my collection just went up in value AGAIN, these cards went up slightly so instead of $14,560, it's now worth $14,680!" The kicker is he loves to brag that "I didn't invest even half of that, so I'm going to be pissed if these things get printed and tank in price". He's quoting tcgplayer averages, as well, so cash value that collection is a fraction of that number.

I just don't think a lot of people understand card value at all. These things are not intrinsically valuable, it's cardboard, they're worth what someone will pay. I laugh at every draft when someone announces, "I just made my money back," after pulling a Stormbreath Dragon or something; no you didn't, $12 is still missing from your wallet and sitting in the cash register. Until you sell that piece of cardboard to someone willing to hand over cash for it, you have a piece of cardboard that makes you feel better about spending $12 to get it because you COULD resell the card. Similarly, it's not a $20 bill, it's probably more like $14 if you were to actually sell it to a player, $8 if you sold it back to the shop.

I see it all the time when scanning for collections on craigslist. There's always that guy who posts a detailed list of every card in the box with the tcgplayer average price next to it, right down to every "15 cent" common, then adds it all up and says, "This is $1200 worth of cards, but I'll generously knock that down to $1000!" No, dude, you have 3,000 bulk commons and uncommons and maybe two cards over $10. Singles are only worth even close to retail AS SINGLES. The point is that you're paying that price knowing you're getting that card in that condition. The odds that I want EVERY card in a lot is almost zero, so I don't want to pay that price for every card, that dilutes the price; think of it as the convenience fee for selling everything in one shot to one guy. To make up for that value, you have to invest time and energy into sorting, cataloging, and doing an individual sale on each card.

I think Thoughtseize is the perfect example of how to make this work (as much as I hate that card...). I had just gotten a few copies of the old printing DAYS before the reprint was announced. I was kind of pissed because it's not like I sat on $10 copies that ballooned out of control, but I shook it off knowing I absolutely needed that card for Modern at the time, so it's not like I was trying to flip it any time soon; I paid a price I was willing to pay for a card I needed.

But what happened? The price just stopped growing exponentially and stabilized at $50. It didn't crash, it just stopped getting ridiculous because speculators couldn't control the supply anymore when you can get one out of a Theros booster. But the key to this was that it had NEW (worse) ART! This meant it was very easily distinguished from the original printing, and that version then has a swag factor that magic hipsters can flaunt. That's harder to do when the little gold emblem says "M11" instead of "M14" and the card is otherwise identical.

So bring on the reprints! I want the GAME to survive, not imaginary "profits" people have made by virtue of simply hoarding their cards while the game tried growing but supply couldn't support it.

However, please reprint with new art! Not only is new art less boring (well, DIFFERENT, a lot of the modern art IS boring lately...), but it also means that it probably won't tank the original printing and those will hold their higher value better by virtue of being easily identified as originals.

EDIT: Any reprint of the Onslaught fetches is fine. Modern border vs old border will be an even bigger difference no matter what the art is, but I suspect they'll use new art since they're very plain (land art has gotten much more detailed since then).

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 1, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

I loved varchild's war riders when I played back in the day. I should make that my dumb card to collect and spike the price on it. TRAMPLE RAMPAGE!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

The March Hare posted:

Skippin' work to do some early morning cube~

http://hitbox.tv/marchhare

Going to try Very Hard not to scrub out round 1 this time.

Well, sometimes your cube opponent has turn 2 dark ritual exhume the griselbrand I pitched to EOT discard and you lose.

On the bright side I'll be streaming April Fools sealed in 20 minutes!!!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
ignore: I am dumb.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I for one think the MTG finance movement has it right, prices can only go up uP UP from here with no end in sight. I know this to be a fact in large part due to my prior experiences speculating on mass produced-collectible items.

[Posting from my throne built from the finest 90's variant cover comics, Marvel trading cards, and Beanie Babies]

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The March Hare posted:

Well, sometimes your cube opponent has turn 2 dark ritual exhume the griselbrand I pitched to EOT discard and you lose.

On the bright side I'll be streaming April Fools sealed in 20 minutes!!!

I had a guy not play a land turn 1 on the play and pitched a Consecrated Sphinx. Turn 2 Animate Dead. Not quite as immediately brutal as Griselbrand, but just as inevitable when you don't have removal.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BXCX posted:

I for one think the MTG finance movement has it right, prices can only go up uP UP from here with no end in sight. I know this to be a fact in large part due to my prior experiences speculating on mass produced-collectible items.

[Posting from my throne built from the finest 90's variant cover comics, Marvel trading cards, and Beanie Babies]

I paid for college with mint copies of Spawn #1.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I had a guy not play a land turn 1 on the play and pitched a Consecrated Sphinx. Turn 2 Animate Dead. Not quite as immediately brutal as Griselbrand, but just as inevitable when you don't have removal.

I'm confused. How did he discard turn 1 on the play, and how did he play a 2-mana spell on turn 2 if he didn't play a land turn 1?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm confused. How did he discard turn 1 on the play, and how did he play a 2-mana spell on turn 2 if he didn't play a land turn 1?

Explore

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Myriad Truths posted:

Lotus petal maybe?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Literally The Worst posted:

It's almost as if the comic book market and the CCG market has a crossover of stupid people with way too much money to spent on useless poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Literally The Worst posted:

I look forward to paying off my student loans with this Merfolk Deck :smithicide:

• Locked thread