Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

fivegears4reverse posted:

IIRC, you have to transfer them from the Wii to the Wii U. Most stuff on the Wii isn't available in the Wii U shop yet, because Nintendo.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1124/p/431/c/266/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5NjA4NjU1OC9zaWQvZzRDOG9yUWw%3D

So if you're like me, who got rid of their Wii years ago, there's a number of purchases you can't get back without some serious hassle on the phone with Nintendo, because there was never a proper account system on the Wii. A friend of mine, when his Wii was stolen, had to provide a police report and proof that he had, in fact, purchased those VC games himself. They made him send his Wii U in, and ultimately didn't even transfer all of his stuff onto the system.

I'm pretty sure there's stuff that just isn't compatible with the Wii U, but Nintendo's digital backwards compatibility is still some of the most backwards poo poo no matter how you slice it, especially in light of Sony's comparatively solid work at bringing PSP digital purchases to the Vita, and the existence of other distribution platforms they could have studied.

The Wii U has a Wii running inside it. Every game you can play on the Wii you can play on the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Install Windows posted:

If you blatantly pirate games on 360/PS3 at the moment, you lose access to multi-player and related services. It's a pretty big disincentive until the online dies.
I don't know about PS3, but you have been able to play burned 360 games online without getting banned for years now.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kabanaw posted:

The Wii U has a Wii running inside it. Every game you can play on the Wii you can play on the Wii U.

I know it has a Wii inside, I was just figuring that some of the VC content not getting shifted over to the Wii U was due to some sort of compatibility issue, rather than immediately assuming Nintendo was grossly incompetent at recovering my buddy's stuff.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

fivegears4reverse posted:

I know it has a Wii inside, I was just figuring that some of the VC content not getting shifted over to the Wii U was due to some sort of compatibility issue, rather than immediately assuming Nintendo was grossly incompetent at recovering my buddy's stuff.

They don't let you download the C64 emulator or any of its games anymore, dunno if that is due to licensing or what. Other than that aside from Games which use the Gamecube controller everything should work. In all likelihood it was just incompetence.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Everything will transfer over using the transfer except for the Wiiware game "Lost Winds"(edit: and C64 stuff apparently). Everything else will be transferred if it is on system memory and available to play in Wii mode. If it is not on system memory, such as being on your sd card, just the digital rights transfer over so you have to download it again.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, I am a Wii U owner for better or worse. Hopefully for better, especially because I'm pleased so far and the Xenoblade sequel hasn't even come out yet.

Anyway, I had been meaning to play the two Mario games - I got the bundle that came with Wind Waker HD, mostly because I like the Zelda-themed gamepad, I have to admit. But I had been sort of dismayed that the prices weren't going down and even Mario U still cost like $40 used at most gaming stores. Plus there was the whole Luigi U add-on confusing things and potentially making the whole endeavor more expensive.

So anyway I was browsing a local store that sold used games and they had a copy of Mario U for like $39, so I figured what the hell. But I was shocked when I saw that it wasn't just Mario U - this used copy also had the Luigi DLC included, and whomever had priced had failed to take this into account. I later learned this is the copy that comes with the Mario U bundle released this past year, and seems to usually sell for ~$60 or so.

So yeah. Got an awesome deal. And the game is *really* fun and surpassing the hell out of my expectations. There are honestly a *lot* of games on this system I already want to play, plus old stuff like Earthbound in the e-store I am really looking forward to re-playing. And the Wii U has taken over from the PS3 as my go-to device for netflix/amazon prime watching, mostly because tablet controls are just fantastic for ease of use with stuff like that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kabanaw posted:

There are exceptions but they're due to licensing stuff. Lost Worlds (one of the first Wiiware games) can't transfer over because of some licensing conflict but it's one of the rare ones. I don't think you can even buy it on the Wii shop anymore.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

kaworu posted:

So, I am a Wii U owner for better or worse. Hopefully for better, especially because I'm pleased so far and the Xenoblade sequel hasn't even come out yet.

Anyway, I had been meaning to play the two Mario games - I got the bundle that came with Wind Waker HD, mostly because I like the Zelda-themed gamepad, I have to admit. But I had been sort of dismayed that the prices weren't going down and even Mario U still cost like $40 used at most gaming stores. Plus there was the whole Luigi U add-on confusing things and potentially making the whole endeavor more expensive.

So anyway I was browsing a local store that sold used games and they had a copy of Mario U for like $39, so I figured what the hell. But I was shocked when I saw that it wasn't just Mario U - this used copy also had the Luigi DLC included, and whomever had priced had failed to take this into account. I later learned this is the copy that comes with the Mario U bundle released this past year, and seems to usually sell for ~$60 or so.

So yeah. Got an awesome deal. And the game is *really* fun and surpassing the hell out of my expectations. There are honestly a *lot* of games on this system I already want to play, plus old stuff like Earthbound in the e-store I am really looking forward to re-playing. And the Wii U has taken over from the PS3 as my go-to device for netflix/amazon prime watching, mostly because tablet controls are just fantastic for ease of use with stuff like that
I think you want the other Wii U thread; this one is for talking about how doomed the Wii U is, the one for talking about the system and games themselves is here.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Has Nintendo ever, ever, once explained why releasing the VC games takes so long? Or why Japan sometimes get way more VC games and support?

I mean if it's due to licensing issues (I'm not a lawyer but profiting off people that may have severed ties with Nintendo sounds iffy) they could at least say so, they can't just be intentionally dense. They have to know reselling their old games is forever an ace in their sleeve.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 30, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

Has Nintendo ever, ever, once explained why releasing the VC games takes so long? Or why Japan sometimes get way more VC games and support?

I mean if it's due to licensing issues (I'm not a lawyer but profiting off people that may have severed ties with Nintendo sounds iffy) they could at least say so, they can't just be intentionally dense. They have to know reselling their old games is their golden ticket.

They are running on the belief that if they release VC games at a snail's pace, it'll generate more sales cause we'll be compelled to buy every game, even the lovely ones.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

They are running on the belief that if they release VC games at a snail's pace, it'll generate more sales cause we'll be compelled to buy every game, even the lovely ones.

If anything, it seems like it'd make people lose interest in the vc altogether, since actually interesting games seldom get released.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Is there a source for this? I google it and I can't find anytime Nintendo has made any sort of official statement of why they trickle out releases at such a horrid rate.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo hasn't made any official statement on why VC takes too long, and that includes the alleged point we always hear in these threads of "they want emulation to be 100% accurate!!!" (it's not 100% accurate)

When you look at SMB3, which has been available for months in other regions, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that VC releases are intentionally staggered and timed. Especially when some of them get announced in Nintendo Directs.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

When you look at SMB3, which has been available for months in other regions, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that VC releases are intentionally staggered and timed. Especially when some of them get announced in Nintendo Directs.

"Hey, no one liked that the Wii Virtual Console was so scarce and games were released at such a slow rate. What should we do with the WiiU?"

"Make it even slower! They'll buy the games because there's nothing else on the system! Bahahahaha!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They wouldn't laugh though, I don't think Iwata has ever laughed. Reggie laughed that one time in that 3DS ad.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Well, as a tremendously cool ending to a very lovely month, i came across some extra cash. Like, enough to blow on something for once, and I guess it's been a long time since I've played a video game that wasn't puzzle dragons on my phone. Would you guys say Mario 3d World is better than Galaxy 2? I figure since I really only play casual Mario/Animal Crossing/Mario Sports stuff, I might as well look into a Wii U. Galaxy 2 blew my mind. I thought it was cool to the point where I've actually replayed it a few times and always been amazed. I really liked 3d Land too and got a 3ds for it- not as expansive a game, but really nice. What's 3d world like, a hybrid of the two? I don't really wanna watch too many gameplay videos cuz I don't want to spoil anything :(

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Simoom posted:

Well, as a tremendously cool ending to a very lovely month, i came across some extra cash. Like, enough to blow on something for once, and I guess it's been a long time since I've played a video game that wasn't puzzle dragons on my phone. Would you guys say Mario 3d World is better than Galaxy 2? I figure since I really only play casual Mario/Animal Crossing/Mario Sports stuff, I might as well look into a Wii U. Galaxy 2 blew my mind. I thought it was cool to the point where I've actually replayed it a few times and always been amazed. I really liked 3d Land too and got a 3ds for it- not as expansive a game, but really nice. What's 3d world like, a hybrid of the two? I don't really wanna watch too many gameplay videos cuz I don't want to spoil anything :(

You're in the wrong WiiU thread if you want us to tell you that buying a WiiU is a good idea.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
oh god i am sorry. i would never assume it is gaming ambrosia and i'll go now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's not better than Galaxy 2 but it's better than 3D Land. The levels are no longer sparse and thin, and I found them to be a lot more varied in World than in Land. It's still similar to 3D Land but just... designed better? And running at 60fps, and fully orchestrated, and each character has their own playstyle.

I dunno that I'd buy a system for it but if you already HAD one, that'd be a different story.

It still is not really quite as creative as Galaxy was though, I kind of hope that Nintendo does not do a Mario 3D World 2 and instead tries to really throw some curveballs. But they're kind of in Safe Mode right now.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
http://kotaku.com/googles-early-april-fools-joke-hiring-pokemon-maste-1555392571

So I'm curious if this is what Nintendo mention by farming out stuff to third parties more. Because I spent plenty of time checking google maps to find a bunch of pokemon.

Granted it's just a one-off joke, but Little time wasters like this would be perfect. Y'know, if Nintendo wanted to try a little.

Then again, I think The Pokemon Company is a little looser on its IP, since they had made a Pokedex App for phones even when Nintendo was staunchly against apps.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nikkei wrote an article about Nintendo's troubles that someone on NeoGAF translated the key points of.

quote:

• Nintendo rejected the suggestion of a Hong Kong investor that Nintendo move towards smartphone games with the observation "are there any companies that have had sustained revenue growth from smartphone games?"
  • The head of a large Chinese investment firm assigned to analyze Nintendo observed that "Nintendo must leverage its intellectual property, such as its characters." As a matter of fact, a few years ago there were rumours that Nintendo was planning to open a theme park based on its characters in Kyoto, but the project has apparently been mothballed.
  • These comments on Nintendo's existing properties reflect the irritation of investors who believe that the company has not found new sources of revenue.
  • Consolidated profits and earnings for the fiscal year ending in March showed a loss of 35 billion yen, (compared to a 36.4 billion yen loss the year previously) representing three consecutive years of losses.
  • Iwata said "only after playing the WiiU is it possible to understand its appeal. Low sales are due to the console being not well-enough known." Within the company, proposals for how to show people what playing the Wii U is like are being considered. [Note: I adjusted the wording of this point based on the translator's comments later on in that GAF thread]
  • Current cash reserves are over 500 billion yen, but whether Iwata will be given unlimited time is a separate question.
  • At the general meeting in March 2011, Iwata was reappointed with 92.89% of the vote, but in 2013 he was reappointed with only 77.26%.
  • This coming June will be a major test for Iwata.
Interesting times ahead, then.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Kins posted:

Nikkei wrote an article about Nintendo's troubles that someone on NeoGAF translated the key points of.
Interesting times ahead, then.

Why June? Is Iwata on a countdown to get the WiiU's sales up by then or he gets booted out of the CEO chair?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

-Consolidated profits and earnings for the fiscal year ending in March showed a loss of 35 billion yen, (compared to a 36.4 billion yen loss the year previously) representing three consecutive years of losses.
-Current cash reserves are over 500 billion yen

That's pretty bad.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
The General Meeting of Shareholders is in June, where the shareholders will be deciding whether to reelect Iwata to the board of directors or not.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Champeenship posted:

The General Meeting of Shareholders is in June, where the shareholders will be deciding whether to reelect Iwata to the board of directors or not.

Unless the WiiU magically turns around and gets full third party support in 3 months I think Iwata might be hosed. I love the guy too, but Nintendo is in dire need of someone with new radical the same ideas that the rest of the gaming world has about marketing, online and third party games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Champeenship posted:

Awesome. There's no way in hell Iwata is keeping his job then. :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Champeenship posted:

That's awkward since it will likely happen AFTER E3.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Iwata getting canned would be amazing.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

The_Frag_Man posted:

I don't know, people keep saying that and granted he's far from the ideal person to run the company at this time but really I'm much more scared of who would come in to replace him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PrBacterio posted:

I don't know, people keep saying that and granted he's far from the ideal person to run the company at this time but really I'm much more scared of who would come in to replace him.

John Riccitiello isn't working in gaming at the moment. I'm pretty sure he could destroy everything good about Nintendo in a year instead of the slow death they've got going on now.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

I like Iwata but the fact that the Wii U has been out for almost a year and a half I still don't understand why an entire back catalog of Nintendo games aren't available at the eShop. Let me play that poo poo on the Gamepad already.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The main concern is that the shareholders calling most loudly for Iwata's head are probably also the ones calling for Nintendo to put all their eggs in the smartphone basket, which would be a pretty bad move. It really all depends on the theoretical replacement.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Motto posted:

That's pretty bad.
I think that's a mistranslation-- the statement for the financial year that ended a couple days ago isn't out until May. The re-forecast in January shows a projected Y35b loss for operating income, if that's what the article is referencing?

There's no new official news for Nintendo's financials that I can see, the rest of that is kinda old news and rumours. The money pile will be smaller this time round anyway: they bought back 9.5m shares in January when the reforecast went out, that took up Y114b by itself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

The main concern is that the shareholders calling most loudly for Iwata's head are probably also the ones calling for Nintendo to put all their eggs in the smartphone basket, which would be a pretty bad move. It really all depends on the theoretical replacement.

Yeah Iwata is dumb but the people vying to replace him are even dumber. Nintendo's not gonna suddenly have a Kaz Harai, they're more likely to get some Japanese equivalent of Steve Ballmer.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Ok, am I missing something because I was trying to figure out what's coming out this year and it seems to be Kart in May and Smash in TBD. That can't be it for first party stuff, surely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

greatn posted:

Yeah Iwata is dumb but the people vying to replace him are even dumber. Nintendo's not gonna suddenly have a Kaz Harai, they're more likely to get some Japanese equivalent of Steve Ballmer.

Speaking of which, where is Steve Ballmer working now if at all?

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

chaosbreather posted:

Ok, am I missing something because I was trying to figure out what's coming out this year and it seems to be Kart in May and Smash in TBD. That can't be it for first party stuff, surely.

Ah, please understand that these games are very high quality and releasing anything else would discourage people from purchasing at full price including second hand. *bows*

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

Depending on your definition of "First Party" that might be it, actually (and even generous since Smash is being developed by Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco).

Complete list of upcoming games Nintendo is publishing:

NES/Famicom Remix 2 (April 25th)
Mario Kart 8 (May 30th)
Bayonetta 2 (maybe Summer in Japan)
Super Smash Bros. (2014)

Everything below is at the "working title" stage
Hyrule Warriors (2014)
X (2014)
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (2015)
The Legend of Zelda (2015)
Yarn Yoshi (2015)

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Well. That's. Huh.

Good thing Link to the Past is so tricky. Otherwise I might feel some kind of buyer's remorse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
There will also probably be a title or two announced at E3 / around the time of E3. We didn't know about SM3DW until then last year.

• Locked thread