Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wargames posted:

Always heard Q3 of 2014 is the soonest and with the facebook money they can invent new screens instead of dealing with tablet scraps.

Oculus VR posted:

A: We are currently scheduled to start shipping the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 in July of 2014. We will ship units in the order in which purchases were completed, with consideration of the number of development kits available in each region.

July is Q3, no? Of course their ability to deliver on schedule is another matter entirely. While the DK1 was really just a toy/dev tool, based on all the changes I think the DK2 would be perfectly usable as a consumer device, even though the latency and resolution could be still improved for CV1. For which there's still no date, but I hope it will be relatively soon after DK2.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
When they bother to release it is kinda a moot point if the answer is "before there's a strong set of supporting games," which the FB acquisition doesn't appear to have helped (unless they turn around and shovel money at devs for support, which is probably what they'd need to do at this point).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, I'm not really concerned about the latest Call of Battlefield having support, if it's modded into a few good flight and race sims, that'd be more than enough to justify getting a Rift for me.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
And I think the original KickStarter backers would largely agree with you. However, with FB having bought it out, I can't imagine them being happy with a launch where the latest and greatest games aren't supported, in order to have a better shot at making some of their money back.

Either way, I'll be more excited to hear more about new 27" 4k60Hz IPS monitors than I will about the Rift at this point.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

DrDork posted:

Either way, I'll be more excited to hear more about new 27" 4k60Hz IPS monitors than I will about the Rift at this point.

What I'm really excited about is the Korean 4K monitors that will inevitably hit the market. I'm so pleased with my X-Star I'd buy one or two more if I weren't waiting on their 4K sets.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I have a question.

I have an Asus PA248Q that I use as my primary monitor. I need to get a second monitor, because using the "retina" display of my 13" Macbook Pro hurts my eyes when I have it on the desk and not directly in front of me (Yes, I know, :corsair:)

Is there another 24.1"-ish 1920x1200ish monitor that falls lower in price than the PA248Q's $300-320? I don't need the color reproduction, this second monitor will be used mostly for web browsing, coding, and maybe the occasional TV show.

Needs to have multiple input options, as I connect both a Macbook Pro and a standard desktop (preferably DisplayPort and DVI).

Also, are there any 27" 2560x1440 monitors that aren't a crapshoot on dead/stuck pixels but don't cost $700+? Dead/stuck pixels would drive me insane, I've never lived with one because I've been lucky and/or returned/exchanged.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

shymog posted:

I have a question.

I have an Asus PA248Q that I use as my primary monitor. I need to get a second monitor, because using the "retina" display of my 13" Macbook Pro hurts my eyes when I have it on the desk and not directly in front of me (Yes, I know, :corsair:)

Is there another 24.1"-ish 1920x1200ish monitor that falls lower in price than the PA248Q's $300-320? I don't need the color reproduction, this second monitor will be used mostly for web browsing, coding, and maybe the occasional TV show.

Needs to have multiple input options, as I connect both a Macbook Pro and a standard desktop (preferably DisplayPort and DVI).

Dell U2412m

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

So, the tax return just came in and this guy needs a new monitor, bad. Right now I have a crappy 24in, 1080p, tn monitor.

My budget is a meager 350-400$. The monitor will mostly be for coding/web browsing, a little tv and a little gaming. Given my needs it seems a korean 27in would be the best choice, but I could be totally off. If I go with a korean 27, who are the recommended sellers and what are the recommended models? I would mildly prefer a display port, but if the extra hardware pushes the budget or makes the monitor less capable in some way I'll deal with dvi.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shymog posted:

Also, are there any 27" 2560x1440 monitors that aren't a crapshoot on dead/stuck pixels but don't cost $700+? Dead/stuck pixels would drive me insane, I've never lived with one because I've been lucky and/or returned/exchanged.

Microcenter sells one of these, so you can buy and/or return it in person if you live near one. Monoprice also sells a couple of models, and HP and (I think) Acer make monitors in this category which are sold various places online, so you'd at least be able to send back a defective display without paying to ship it all the way back to Korea.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

z06ck posted:

Dell U2412m

Mine got delivered yesterday and I can confirm that it is A Good Monitor. I don't know how I survived with just one screen for so long.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Kumquat posted:

Mine got delivered yesterday and I can confirm that it is A Good Monitor. I don't know how I survived with just one screen for so long.

I've had mine for about 8 months and couldn't be happier with it. I routinely use it for games and reading connected via DP and DVI (desktop/laptop).

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
The U2412M is definitely a good (PC) monitor, but as always when using different models, there can be a pretty big difference in color between the two that might prove annoying.

I have a PA248Q, U2412M, and HP ZR2740w, and after endless fiddling I was still unable to get colors to even come close to matching up between them. My situation is worse because the HP has literally no adjustments available besides brightness, but even when I just had the ASUS and Dell they weren't close either.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Did you try installing the color profiles from that site that was posted earlier? Might be worth a try.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My Monoprice IPS-Glass Panel Pro 27-incher arrived today. All the pixels are a-OK, the only flaw I can notice now is the colors are a bit different on the outer edges (particularly the left) than in the middle, but it's only noticeable when the entire screen in that color. (Also noticeable backlight bleed in the corners) For $340? It was a heck of a deal.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 3, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

GokieKS posted:

I have a PA248Q, U2412M, and HP ZR2740w, and after endless fiddling I was still unable to get colors to even come close to matching up between them. My situation is worse because the HP has literally no adjustments available besides brightness, but even when I just had the ASUS and Dell they weren't close either.
The only way you'd really be able to get three wildly different monitors anywhere close to eachother would be via hardware calibration. Hence why a lot of people would rather buy a match for their year or three old monitor than picking up a latest and greatest one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If I wanted to hook up another Dell P2414H to my MacBook Air, how would I go about doing that? Figure the thunderbolt port is flexible, but the P2414H can't daisy chain (I don't think). Is my only option a USB 3.0 to Displayport adapter? Are those even reliable?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

teagone posted:

If I wanted to hook up another Dell P2414H to my MacBook Air, how would I go about doing that? Figure the thunderbolt port is flexible, but the P2414H can't daisy chain (I don't think). Is my only option a USB 3.0 to Displayport adapter? Are those even reliable?

MiniDP to DP cable?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

teagone posted:

Your thunderbolt port is a mini DP

edit: I use this on my rmbp to goto my dell u2412m
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CAGDUA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit edit: vvv oh sorry.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 3, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

z06ck posted:

Your thunderbolt port is a mini DP

Yes, I know. I already have a P2414H on the way and have multiple miniDP to DP cables, miniDP to DVI, miniDP to HDMi. I'm asking how would I go about hooking up another P2414H to my MacBook Air since it only has 1 thunderbolt port.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's DisplayPort hubs now apparently, but hell if I know if they'll work with your machine.

vvvvv didn't even know daisy chainable DP monitors have been out :doh:

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 3, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Oh, two monitors. First try daisy-chaining them to see if it works with your particular mac.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nephilm posted:

Oh, two monitors. First try daisy-chaining them to see if it works with your particular mac.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Air, which can support two thunderbolt displays according to Apple. My question now is, how do I daisy chain 2xP2414H monitors when they don't have a second displayport connector to hook up to one another? Do I get like a displayport y-cable?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just double checked and it's the U2414H that can daisy chain, not the P2414H. So yeah you'd still need a hub and cross your fingers if you want to try the native DP route. Or maybe you can buy the U and hook up the P to that? (But still need crossing of fingers cause I have no clue if DP daisy chaining works on your MBA.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 3, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

japtor posted:

Just double checked and it's the U2414H that can daisy chain, not the P2414H. So yeah you'd still need a hub and cross your fingers if you want to try the native DP route. Or maybe you can buy the U and hook up the P to that?

Ahh ok, so I'd have to buy something like this? http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Complian...displayport+hub

Looking at the P2414H PDF manual, it says the displayport connector on the monitor supports DP1.2 (CORE) specification. Excludes High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2), Fast AUXtransaction, Multi-stream transport (MST), 3D stereo transport, HBR Audio (or high datarate audio). Since it lacks MST, I'm guessing I can't daisy chain it to a U2414H then?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

teagone posted:

Since it lacks MST, I'm guessing I can't daisy chain it to a U2414H then?
You could still chain it, but obviously it would have to be the end of the chain, with the U2414H in the middle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DrDork posted:

You could still chain it, but obviously it would have to be the end of the chain, with the U2414H in the middle.

That's good to know. I'll probably still just get that EVGA displayport hub so I can get the same monitor.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

teagone posted:

Ahh ok, so I'd have to buy something like this? http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Complian...displayport+hub
Theoretically yes, but again I have no clue if it'll work. Didn't even know DP hubs finally came out!

I'd ask over in the Mac hardware thread to see if anyone else knows for sure, although I don't think I've ever seen DP hubs mentioned in there. People get the retina MBPs now for multi display output :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

japtor posted:

Theoretically yes, but again I have no clue if it'll work. Didn't even know DP hubs finally came out!

I'd ask over in the Mac hardware thread to see if anyone else knows for sure, although I don't think I've ever seen DP hubs mentioned in there. People get the retina MBPs now for multi display output :v:

Mmmk. Thanks for the info :)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

DrDork posted:

The only way you'd really be able to get three wildly different monitors anywhere close to eachother would be via hardware calibration. Hence why a lot of people would rather buy a match for their year or three old monitor than picking up a latest and greatest one.

Yeah, that was my point. The U2412 is a good monitor, but he should be aware that it's very unlikely for him to being able to get it to look very close to the PA248Q he already has if he picks it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Howdy folks. Looking for a recommendation for a pair of monitors. I have a 27" Asus VE278 I got for a ridiculous deal a couple of years ago. I was running with a pair of older Samsung 226BW's flanking the Asus, but one has had too many caps die too many times, and seems to be dead. The other is likely on the way given some of the flickering, and I'm sick of replacing capacitors on them (it hasn't really been that bad, but, hey).

I'm looking for a pair of 23/24 inch monitors, preferably thin bezel but not too picky. TN is fine, since IPS would make the 27" look terrible. I would like adjustable height so I can line up the center of all 3 monitors, but I do have desk-mount arms that I could use as well.

Any recommendation? Is there a specific Dell TN that's good? Do I grab a couple of Asus? 1920x1080 obviously. Display port preferable if at all possible, don't need passthrough, have enough outputs on the video card.

Thanks a ton!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Siochain posted:

Howdy folks. Looking for a recommendation for a pair of monitors. I have a 27" Asus VE278 I got for a ridiculous deal a couple of years ago. I was running with a pair of older Samsung 226BW's flanking the Asus, but one has had too many caps die too many times, and seems to be dead. The other is likely on the way given some of the flickering, and I'm sick of replacing capacitors on them (it hasn't really been that bad, but, hey).

I'm looking for a pair of 23/24 inch monitors, preferably thin bezel but not too picky. TN is fine, since IPS would make the 27" look terrible. I would like adjustable height so I can line up the center of all 3 monitors, but I do have desk-mount arms that I could use as well.

Any recommendation? Is there a specific Dell TN that's good? Do I grab a couple of Asus? 1920x1080 obviously. Display port preferable if at all possible, don't need passthrough, have enough outputs on the video card.

Thanks a ton!

Dell UH23/24's are IPS but I'm still going to recommend them.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Mozi posted:

My Monoprice IPS-Glass Panel Pro 27-incher arrived today. All the pixels are a-OK, the only flaw I can notice now is the colors are a bit different on the outer edges (particularly the left) than in the middle, but it's only noticeable when the entire screen in that color. (Also noticeable backlight bleed in the corners) For $340? It was a heck of a deal.

I ended getting one of these too when that other guy mentioned the sale. It arrived last week, but mine had a dead/stuck pixel (showed red when displaying white and green when displaying black), lots of glow/bleed in the bottom left corner, and excessive mura (dark areas) in the top right quadrant. It went back, but unfortunately, the trip takes 7 days each way, so it's going to be at least another week until Monoprice gets me a replacement.

I also wasn't really impressed by the color production. Maybe I needed to drop the contrast from its default, but light grays were barely distinguishable from white. Something has to be wrong if my eyes feel a sense of relief when I switch back to my old display.

The glossy surface is excellent, though. Glare is almost nonexistent in most settings.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

El Scotch posted:

Dell UH23/24's are IPS but I'm still going to recommend them.

And I am likely to take your recommendation. We bought two of the good Dell's a year and a bit ago for the wife, and they are gorgeous. I may as well get matching ones. Thanks for the advice!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Are there any preferred dealers on ebay or amazon (or elsewhere) for a Qnix 27" 1440p monitor? I'm starting to consider just going ahead and buying one, but there are a lot of sellers.

Edit: Wow prices went up $40 in one day on amazon and newegg.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 4, 2014

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I have a Qnix arriving Monday, and the seller said they are having supply issues. Don't know how true that is but higher prices could be an indicator, that and more demand.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
The one I just linked was 299. They were 269 when I bought mine, so probably.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I can't find the BenQ Xl2411T monitor in stock anywhere in the UK and some places are flagging it as discontinued.

I can't find the Asus VG236H anywhere either, does anyone know a good alternative available in the UK?

:edit:

Ok, this seems to service my needs. The Asus VG248QE, does this seem a reasonable alternative?

Jose Mengelez fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 5, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

I can't find the BenQ Xl2411T monitor in stock anywhere in the UK and some places are flagging it as discontinued.

I can't find the Asus VG236H anywhere either, does anyone know a good alternative available in the UK?

:edit:

Ok, this seems to service my needs. The Asus VG248QE, does this seem a reasonable alternative?

If you're after 144, then yes - it is a good alternative.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Looking for a new monitor as my current LG is on the blink, i'm looking for sub £230 24" for games, movies and connecting to a console. I have been looking at both the Dell UltraSharp U2412M & the Dell UltraSharp U2414H now to my limited knowledge of reading the OP and understanding some of it the obvious differences between the two are the max resolution, minor difference in cd/m2 and the difference in available input options i'm not sure which one to spring for, i really would like a 1920x1200 display but i feel like i'm short changing myself with the lack of a HDMI connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Good deal? Saw it on the slickdeals forums.

Asus PB278Q 27

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=used

$421 for the warehouse deal. Granted, not "brand new."
Even though I just bought a 27" Monoprice glass monitor. Woo dual 27"

-edit Reading nothing but great reviews for this monitor. And you can OC it to 85hz it seems. I'm tempted to get this and use it as my main monitor

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 6, 2014