Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wolfsheim posted:

Haha, same. I'm so used to OOTS' basic style I don't really soak in the details.

Like you two, I immediately noticed the font difference (I can't even name the normal font or tell you what it actually looks like, I just noticed that it was different, mostly in that it was bigger) but aside from that it seemed more zoomed-in than normal I missed the art shift until I read this thread and looked again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I don't mind the font but I agree with whoever said the hands look like weird claws now. Maybe I'll get used to it but it seems a weird stylistic choice that doesn't really add anything.

One page in and already that faux Scottish accent is annoying to read. Hopefully won't detract too much from the arc if we're going to be spending a lot of time with the dwarfs.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 1, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I never noticed the font or the art upgrade until I checked the thread.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ephemeron posted:

I never noticed the font or the art upgrade until I checked the thread.
Neither did I, and I just reread Don't Split The Party yesterday. :psyduck:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Colonel Cool posted:

edit - calling it now. After Durkon rampages through dwarf homeland, Mama is going to confront him, evil spirit is going to try to kill her, and that will be what inspires Durkon to break free.

Bet you thought Robb Stark was totally going to behead Joffrey with his father's sword too.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The stick figure aesthetic is only going to look worse and worse as Rich puts more effort into details and coloration. Eventually he will need to part entirely from his withered claw hands and L-feet, or he'll hit a point where we can't imagine the details behind his minimalist design.

Seriously, look at that awful claw hand.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look guys drawing hands is hard. Drawing Turkeys is easy though, first you draw a hand.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Bet you thought Robb Stark was totally going to behead Joffrey with his father's sword too.

Oh come on who wasn't shocked by that.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

Oh come on who wasn't shocked by that.

Finally, something better than Goblins chatter.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

NihilCredo posted:

Order of the Stick as written by George R. R. Martin would be... different.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dolash posted:

I don't want to see Élan get raped :(

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Dolash posted:

More or less likely to actually be completed?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It would be just as wordy, probably.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Four hundred pages arguing about food mechanics.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Speaking of hundreds of pages of food descriptions, the dwarf accents are starting to remind me of the moles from the Redwall series. This is not necessarily a positive assocation.

Although, we're getting awfully nit-picky about the first new comic. Looks great, glad to have it back.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 1, 2014

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

D1Sergo posted:

Speaking of hundreds of pages of food descriptions, the dwarf accents are starting to remind me of the moles from the Redwall series. This is not necessarily a positive assocation.

Hah, I thought "Din. Nae. Look. Down." looked kinda silly. Does it look silly to a Scottish person?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wondered why she was talking about plastic building bricks all of a sudden and couldn't shake it even after rereading. That's not terrible in the grand scheme of things but it's also not awfully indicative that the Scottish accent joke still works very well for what the comic has developed into from the old days of "go down a level" jokes.

I'm optimistic though. Maybe there's a great big Trainspotting joke at the end of it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dolash posted:

I started to go, "Ha ha, it sure would!" and then I went, "Wait a second... it wouldn't be very different at all!"

Whybird posted:

More or less likely to actually be completed?

Shortly before A Clash of Kings came out I wrote an e-mail to GRRM saying that I enjoyed a lot of his work and thought A Game of Thrones was great.

Three years later I got a reply.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
please stop spoiling Game of Thones as far as I know, thanks

I had to ask if the page was larger than it used to be, so I certainly didn't notice font or art changes.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wondered why she was talking about plastic building bricks all of a sudden and couldn't shake it even after rereading. That's not terrible in the grand scheme of things but it's also not awfully indicative that the Scottish accent joke still works very well for what the comic has developed into from the old days of "go down a level" jokes.

I'm optimistic though. Maybe there's a great big Trainspotting joke at the end of it.

quote:

Choose life. Choose a race. Choose a subrace. Choose a culture. Choose a loving big animal companion, choose bullseye lanterns, tindertwigs, healer's kits, and level-appropriate wealth tables. Choose good Constitution, high Fortitude saving throws and racial bonuses. Choose optional outsider bloodlines. Choose a starting background. Choose your teammates. Choose an ancestral weapon and matching scabbard. Choose a custom crafted suit of plate mail with a range of loving elemental resistances. Choose multi-classing and wondering who the gently caress you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting around that campfire exchanging mind-numbing spirit-crushing stories of unachievable loot, stuffing loving junk food rations into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, bleeding your last in a miserable dungeon, nothing more than a mildly creepy omen to the selfish, hosed-up level one characters that have spawned behind you to replace you. Choose your future. Choose life . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got undeath?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've never understood what the deal was with dwarves being scottish. I guess it's just a place far enough from England to sound different, but close enough to where they still speak the same language?

Also all fantasy has to be some kind of British for whatever reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The reason is Tolkien.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Because modern fantasy comes to us through the lens of Tolkien, and his stories were very British indeed.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I thought the Tolkien dwarfs were more Nordic than Scottish, or am I mis-remembering?

I figured they morphed into Scots because it was easier for actors to do the accent.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

jng2058 posted:

Because modern fantasy comes to us through the lens of Tolkien, and his stories were very British indeed.

Yeah, but Tolkien's dwarves weren't Scottish, they were Jewish. The dwarves were "at once natives and aliens in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue…" I am sure it was just a coincidence that Tolkien's dwarves were all obsessed with gold!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Huh. Apparently Tolkien's version of Dwarvish actually is based on Semitic languages. I didn't know that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I guess dwarves became scottish because everyone was uncomfortable about doing jewish accents then. Anybody know who first started the trend?

Also, that sorta has uncomfortable implications with how dwarves were obsessed with wealth to the point that it destroyed their greatest cities. :doh: I don't think Tolkien ever meant anything bad, and he probably never said anything all that unusual for his time, but things like this make it hard sometimes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I guess dwarves became scottish because everyone was uncomfortable about doing jewish accents then. Anybody know who first started the trend?

Also, that sorta has uncomfortable implications with how dwarves were obsessed with wealth to the point that it destroyed their greatest cities. :doh: I don't think Tolkien ever meant anything bad, and he probably never said anything all that unusual for his time, but things like this make it hard sometimes.

They're Jewish as hell, which makes Sauron Hitler I guess? Or is that Smaug, it's been a while.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Yeah, but Tolkien's dwarves weren't Scottish, they were Jewish. The dwarves were "at once natives and aliens in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue…" I am sure it was just a coincidence that Tolkien's dwarves were all obsessed with gold!

Actually Tolkien's Dwarven Jewish origins were in his perception of Medieval Jewry as craftsmen as well as their dispossessed nature by the third age. The gold obsession was almost always a result of the perversion caused by the rings of power.

The Dwarves of the 2nd Age didn't have that same obsessions we see in the Hobbit, the big thing I can remember iirc is that they got mad at the Elves for stealing their work. :spergin:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jewish dwarves? Suddenly I wish I could photoshop. :negative:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If dwarves are Scottish miners, wouldn't that make Sauron Thatcher?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

e X posted:

Eh, sounds about right.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

e X posted:

I know Sauron has had a lot of bad press but that is beyond the pale.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Angela Christine posted:

It's okay, OotS figures don't have noses anyway

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rumda posted:

I know Sauron has had a lot of bad press but that is beyond the pale.

:golfclap:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Actually Tolkien's Dwarven Jewish origins were in his perception of Medieval Jewry as craftsmen as well as their dispossessed nature by the third age. The gold obsession was almost always a result of the perversion caused by the rings of power.

The Dwarves of the 2nd Age didn't have that same obsessions we see in the Hobbit, the big thing I can remember iirc is that they got mad at the Elves for stealing their work. :spergin:

So Smaug and the Balrog are the Roman Empire, kicking the dwarves out of their kingdoms. And I guess Orcs are analagous to muslims or pagans then.

And I guess Tolkien's not racist, he just made a bunch of obtuse references that most of his imitators never got. Fantasy is a weird genre.

Angela Christine posted:

Well, in the movies, most of the dwarves got big prosthetic noses.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/10/26/81366-the-hobbits-dwarves-before-make-up-and-after/

Don't know if that's the exact type of nose in the stereotype or not.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 2, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SlothfulCobra posted:

And I guess Tolkien's not racist, he just made a bunch of obtuse references that most of his imitators never got. Fantasy is a weird genre.

Here's what Tolkien answered when a 3rd Reich publishing company asked him about his origins:

Tolkien posted:

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your letter….. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject – which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its suitability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and
remain yours faithfully,
J.R.R. Tolkien

Him relating Dwarves to Jews was probably just a matter of inspiration, not caricaturing.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

my dad posted:

Here's what Tolkien answered when a 3rd Reich publishing company asked him about his origins:

Him relating Dwarves to Jews was probably just a matter of inspiration, not caricaturing.

Okay that was a pretty great reply to... whatever the original questions were.

If only Tolkien held the answers to the origin of Durkon's accent. I'm sure we could make something up that sounds accurate.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If I remember right, I think they praised him as an honorary Aryan (or something to that effect). Tolkien wrote up two versions of that letter, the other being a far milder rejection. He supposedly gave the choice of which to send to his editor, who went with the mild one (which, for some reason, had no surviving copies), but kept the quoted one for posterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

rocketrobot posted:

Okay that was a pretty great reply to... whatever the original questions were.

If only Tolkien held the answers to the origin of Durkon's accent. I'm sure we could make something up that sounds accurate.

The original question was a German translation of the Hobbit in 1938. The publishing house wanted to make sure Tolkien wasn't Jewish as a prerequisite for actually releasing the book.

Unfortunately, we can't be sure if that was the letter that was actually sent - Tolkien wrote two responses to the question.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/03/i-have-no-ancestors-of-that-gifted.html