Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Action Yak Police posted:

Look, Dylan Marron made a behind-the-scenes video. You can briefly see the Glow Cloud umbrella that I mentioned earlier in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGCMbO2XhM

I actually choked up a little watching it. It looks like you guys are having a blast with what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
At some point I'm going to post more in depth about ECCC in the Thrilling Adventure Hour thread, but a quick trip report here for now.

I got to briefly meet Jeffrey today, as my friend and I were hanging out with Hal Lublin (Steve Carlsberg and a TAH castmember) for awhile.

The show tonight was a slightly altered version of the Numbers Station episode, with Molly Quinn as Fae, Hal as Steve, and John DiMaggio as a NVCR intern. It was really great.

I've got some pics I'm going to post soon, we were in the second row (got VIP passes because of our in with TAH). It was really fantastic to watch. Really looking forward to the crossover show tomorrow. :)

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Newest episode is up! Passive-aggressive Cecil is the best Cecil. Also, Cecil's extended family is delightful! He loves his brother-in-law so much.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Cecil has a sister! Cecil has a niece! STEVE CARLSBEEEEERG!

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I can't decide whether or not I like knowing that Cecil has a legitimate reason to dislike Steve Carlsberg. But that's probably because one of my all-time favorite moments is his first mention, which was the first time Cecil really dropped his "friendly radio announcer" persona to just tear into Steve for tiny, petty reasons.

I was driving a tan Corolla at the time so maybe I just sympathized with ol' Steve Carlsberg.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

Cecil has a sister! Cecil has a niece! STEVE CARLSBEEEEERG!

BEST REVEAL OF ANYTHING.

Also Cecil got to hold Khoshekh. That was so cute I "awww"ed out loud. :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Leospeare posted:

I can't decide whether or not I like knowing that Cecil has a legitimate reason to dislike Steve Carlsberg. But that's probably because one of my all-time favorite moments is his first mention, which was the first time Cecil really dropped his "friendly radio announcer" persona to just tear into Steve for tiny, petty reasons.

I was driving a tan Corolla at the time so maybe I just sympathized with ol' Steve Carlsberg.

I thought the same thing, till I realized that I treat a certain relation that I can't stand the same way Cecil treads Steve. Right down to the nitpicking and petty grumbling. It helps that the relative I don't like is also a dead beat Dad, so there you go.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Thanks to http://cecilspeaks.tumblr.com/ I realised that I was missing 8 proverbs.

I have now updated http://hovercastle.io/proverb/ with the proverbs from episodes 38 to 44.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

neurotech posted:

Thanks to http://cecilspeaks.tumblr.com/ I realised that I was missing 8 proverbs.

I have now updated http://hovercastle.io/proverb/ with the proverbs from episodes 38 to 44.

Have you considered adding some of the introductions as well? That would be neat.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

dragon_pamcake posted:

Have you considered adding some of the introductions as well? That would be neat.

Every time I listen to an episode I hear a piece of writing that I'd love to include. I might put together a seperate project that serves up the aforementioned 'pieces' in a similar fashion.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really liked this week's weather performer.

Also, at first when Cecil mentioned having a niece, I thought we might be in for something more about the brother he's completely forgotten about from the Cassette episode. But what we got was even better.

Also also, I would totally listen to/watch/read a spinoff about the Time-Travelling Interdimensional Adventures of Intern Dana.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

docbeard posted:

I really liked this week's weather performer.

Also also, I would totally listen to/watch/read a spinoff about the Time-Travelling Interdimensional Adventures of Intern Dana.

I probably wouldn't.

Weather was great though.

I'd like to talk about Steve Carlsberg but I'll give it a few days so the spoiler tags can come off.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

I'd like to talk about Steve Carlsberg but I'll give it a few days so the spoiler tags can come off.

Pretty much just furthers my earlier criticism, re: Carlos discussion.

I liked it more when it was implied/the listener could just assume that he was just this weird pariah that everyone hated was expected to hate. Making it personal almost cheapens it, IMO.

Shame, because it was a low note on an otherwise pretty great episode.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Explaining jokes always makes them funnier.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I had assumed from the end of the episode that the whole "Niece" thing was a lie and it's just Cecil funding the rebellion against Strex Corp using it as a front. Plus it could also be a ruse to get station management to buy / consume something as some sort of ruse. Thus his attacking Steve Carlsberg was incidental because gently caress that guy.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

BiggerJ posted:

Is the podcast version of the debate still on track for before the election?

Dangit, just realized I said this because I thought the election was in April, because one guy swore he'd heard that at a live show. I remembered that and not the date maxnmona gave.

dj_clawson, please stop rewriting my memories.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 2, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Two things I'm curious about :

1. What's going on with the enormous city deep beneath lane 5 of the desert flower bowling alley the tiny city 10 feet beneath lane 5 of the desert flower bowling alley? After hearing about it on and off for the first 25 episodes, the only thing we've heard since then is a one-off gag about the council asking people to stomp around really hard.

2. So if mayoral candidates are supposed to get equal time on public radio, why haven't we heard anything from :swoon: Marcus Vansten :swoon:?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Who was Intern Maureen again?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Evil Mastermind posted:

The one who was zapped out of existence by JP's OJ.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Zorak posted:

I had assumed from the end of the episode that the whole "Niece" thing was a lie and it's just Cecil funding the rebellion against Strex Corp using it as a front. Plus it could also be a ruse to get station management to buy / consume something as some sort of ruse. Thus his attacking Steve Carlsberg was incidental because gently caress that guy.

I love this theory. I want to cuddle it and pet it while it floats 4 feet off the ground in the men's room at my office

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I assume she was the intern who drank JP's OJ, what with the blinking in and out of existence.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

dj_clawson, please stop rewriting my memories.

No, my plan is working too well.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
It's a big credit to the writing and voice acting that you can hear the poo poo eating grin on Cecil's face when he says, "We’re all friends, after all! Looking at you in the booth, there, Daniel! D’awww, listeners, Daniel is blushing!"

I think Daniel used the phrase, 'We're all friends here,' when discussing the Khoshekh incident and that's why he received the brunt of Cecil's ire.

Also, does anybody want some Peanut Butter Patties?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

dragon_pamcake posted:

Also, does anybody want some Peanut Butter Patties? [/spoiler]

Because for some reason the GSA can't seem to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe, that's why. If you don't like mint, you take what you can get.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Zorak posted:

Agreed for the most part. I think the "Girl Scouts" are a cover story for Tamika Flynn's child army, since he mentions them holding up books toward the end. I'm not sure whether Janice is made up though, since I like the idea of Cecil hating Steve Carlsberg for a legitimate reason. Plus it raises more questions about Cecil's family and his past.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I'm too am hoping we eventually get to hear Marcus Vansten on the show.

I already imagine him as sounding like Nathan Fillion.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

He'll be in "The Debate," which is a live episode.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I liked the bit just before the weather, Station management is listening to your show now, Cecil.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

AstroZamboni posted:

Hearing him as Cactoid Jim on TAH has kindled a new passion for him within me, and I hope this is how it works out.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Hearing him as Cactoid Jim on TAH has kindled a new passion for him within me, and I hope this is how it works out.

Marcus was played by someone else in the live show, unless I'm VERY wrong about the pronunciation of Nathan Fillion's name and what he looks like.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Here's a hint. Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Oh my... that's just as good!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

maxnmona posted:

Here's a hint. Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

I hope he has a showdown with Strex the robot

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zorak posted:

This is my theory too, though I think Janice (Janis?) is real. Cecil is always very emotional when it comes to his loved ones. The fact that he didn't sound upset at all after the weather makes me believe this was all a set up. He gets to help fund Tamika's army and maybe even lure a Strex into a trap.

On the subject of last episode spoilers, I love Steve being his brother-in-law for the same reason I love his relationship with Carlos: it's normal. In a town with five headed dragons and hooded figures I love the small touches of reality that peek through.

Also it pissed of the fangirls that think Steve is Cecil's ex, so that's good.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

On the subject of last episode spoilers, Also it pissed of the fangirls that think Steve is Cecil's ex, so that's good.

Hahaha! How did they get this idea? I honestly thought it was random hatred; the idea just tickled me pink.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

foxatee posted:

Hahaha! How did they get this idea? I honestly thought it was random hatred; the idea just tickled me pink.

I think like quite a lot of these ideas, it started as someone going "wouldn't it be funny if..." and spiraled out from there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is my theory too, though I think Janice (Janis?) is real. Cecil is always very emotional when it comes to his loved ones. The fact that he didn't sound upset at all after the weather makes me believe this was all a set up. He gets to help fund Tamika's army and maybe even lure a Strex into a trap.

On the subject of last episode spoilers, I love Steve being his brother-in-law for the same reason I love his relationship with Carlos: it's normal. In a town with five headed dragons and hooded figures I love the small touches of reality that peek through.

Also it pissed of the fangirls that think Steve is Cecil's ex, so that's good.

Yea I like that he's just kinda a dickbag brother in law. That's a good way to do it, the whole point of the joke is that in this crazy world of glow clouds and magic dragon men and poo poo you still just have kinda lovely family to deal with.

The episode was great, Cecil's voice actor really knocked it out of the park more than usual with some of those lines.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The episode was great, Cecil's voice actor really knocked it out of the park more than usual with some of those lines.

His delivery of Words...NO! had me laughing much harder than was strictly necessary.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
I had a thought when I was done listening to this episode. A scene where Strex Corp has some troops outside Night Vale. Tamika and her amry slowly walk towards the armored vechiles. Soon they are joined by the Night Vale Girl Scouts who went into hiding after their camping trip. The troops aim their guns about to open fire on the small group of child freedom fighters until something odd happens. Behind Tamika and her group suddenly arrives the Nationless Army that roams the Desert. Thousands of battle hardened troops vs the small squad of Strex Corp rent a cops. Tamika screams "CHARGE" and the Strex Squad is over taken.

The Battle for Night Vale begins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

foxatee posted:

Most fangirls "ship" everyone with everyone. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out they had some kind of Apache Tracker/Man in the Tan Jacket thing going.