Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, but he was talking specifically about Calvinism. If you're going to be Protestant you should be Calvinist at the very least, and preferably a member of some crazy denomination that believes it's a lost tribe of Israel or something. I don't know what the point is of being Lutheran. And don't get me started on Anglicanism, they shouldn't even be considered Protestant.

Being Lutheran is cool, protestant state churches for the win, nothing of these stupid American churches that think 2013 should have been the rapture (lol).

System Metternich posted:

Hm, I don't know.

Unemployment in Germany

Religion in Germany (yellow=Catholic, Purple=Protestant, Blue=no religion)

It's not quite fair to ascribe compare mostly Catholic parts of Germany which were ALL part of West Germany with those Lutheran parts of Germany that were part of East Germany.

And additionally, rich Bavaria was one of the poor states in West Germany only a few decades ago, nothing is set in stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panas
Nov 1, 2009
Current religious denomination has nothing to do with his thesis. The argument is that we're all protestants now. Our society has adopted that work ethic so as to be successful. You can be catholic, protestant, muslim or hindu, but at the end of the day you work like a protestant.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
What is a Catholic work ethic?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Metrication posted:

Lazy mooching :colbert:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Panas posted:

Current religious denomination has nothing to do with his thesis. The argument is that we're all protestants now. Our society has adopted that work ethic so as to be successful. You can be catholic, protestant, muslim or hindu, but at the end of the day you work like a protestant.

Unless you're attending the something is awful dot com forums, which makes it highly likely that you do not work at all. :colbert:

Could it be that women have more children if the sun is perfectly at the zenith?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Or maybe just maybe fertility is dependent on surrounding social instability and insecurity about the future!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Metrication posted:

Invade some other country and make their people do all the work. And fighting in the next war.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I don't think there are any grognard games yet about the Afghanistan War, I wonder how long those will take to come out?

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Metrication posted:

Terry Gilliam, when he was working on The Adventures of Baron Munchausen in Italy, commented that one of the reasons the film was such a production disaster was because his largely Italian, catholic crew focused on him as "God" with his cinematographer as the "Pope", and all of that filtered down, while his own "protestant" approach to film-making allowed for everybody to speak to God directly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DrSunshine posted:

Or maybe just maybe fertility is dependent on surrounding social instability and insecurity about the future!

Nonsense, Sun angle = babies, case closed.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

DutchDupe posted:

Terry Gilliam, when he was working on The Adventures of Baron Munchausen in Italy, commented that one of the reasons the film was such a production disaster was because his largely Italian, catholic crew focused on him as "God" with his cinematographer as the "Pope", and all of that filtered down, while his own "protestant" approach to film-making allowed for everybody to speak to God directly.

It was probably because of Mediterranean shiftlesness.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
good for Austria-Hungary :smith:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Map doesn't include Rockall but includes Lot's Wife. Clearly some anti-British bias here. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow, 3.5 million people in total actually live on all those teeny-tiny islands! That's the real surprise there.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

DrSunshine posted:

Wow, 3.5 million people in total actually live on all those teeny-tiny islands! That's the real surprise there.

And almost all Portuguese (Azores, Madeira, Cape Verde, Sao Tome & Principe)

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Panas posted:

And yet the type of capitalism that made Germany and England prosperous was doing the same for catholic Italy centuries beforehand

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

DrSunshine posted:

I have to say it's interesting that the island of Mauritius today supports a population of over one million but had apparently not experienced any serious colonization attempts prior to the Dutch in the 1600s (the Arabs and even the Portuguese evidently weren't interested).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Emanuel Collective posted:

And yet the type of capitalism that made Germany and England prosperous was doing the same for catholic Italy centuries beforehand

Not necessarily. Germany and England both prospered mostly because of their booming industrial and export-oriented sector, whereas the Italian city-states of the middle ages and early modern era were exclusively trade republics. A merchants-and-craftsmen-society like that functions very differently from one in which factory owners employ a large part of the rest of the populace for pitiable wages.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I guess it's a matter of perspective, for those Europeans who had no idea that there was a continent between them and Asia it was a genuine discovery. It wasn't even a "rediscovery" because nobody in Europe ever knew of America, except for some viking legends about Vinland perhaps. On the other hand it is kind of belittling the preexisting human societies in the Americas.

Edit: Just thinking about it, that map is still very impressive. All these islands that are thousands of kilometers closer to Africa/Asia/America/Australia, and they were only discovered by European sailors.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 1, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I don't think there are any grognard games yet about the Afghanistan War, I wonder how long those will take to come out?

There are actually: A Distant Plain (although it doesn't go full grognard) and BCT: Kandahar, to name two, although there are probably more out there.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oh cool, didn't see that the COIN family had a new one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I guess it's a matter of perspective, for those Europeans who had no idea that there was a continent between them and Asia it was a genuine discovery. It wasn't even a "rediscovery" because nobody in Europe ever knew of America, except for some viking legends about Vinland perhaps. On the other hand it is kind of belittling the preexisting human societies in the Americas.

Edit: Just thinking about it, that map is still very impressive. All these islands that are thousands of kilometers closer to Africa/Asia/America/Australia, and they were only discovered by European sailors.

The map has been posted before, and it really is impressive for Europeans to discover islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. With the exception of the Polynesians, other cultures were really slacking off when it came to discovering things during that era.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phlegmish posted:

The map has been posted before, and it really is impressive for Europeans to discover islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. With the exception of the Polynesians, other cultures were really slacking off when it came to discovering things during that era.

Was there some kind of land bridge from Africa to Madagascar during the ice age? Otherwise I am a bit puzzled that nobody bothered to settle the surrounding islands, even though they would have had to have access to ships to get there in the first place.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

Was there some kind of land bridge from Africa to Madagascar during the ice age? Otherwise I am a bit puzzled that nobody bothered to settle the surrounding islands, even though they would have had to have access to ships to get there in the first place.
Madagascar was settled from Borneo, so a land bridge wouldn't really explain anything.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fine print is the politically loaded part

e: also mormons are the worst, all yankees or red sox fans

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Also whoever posted that Standard & Poor's map: credit rating agencies are literally the Naked Emperor. Their ratings are only true because people believe them to be true, but often have no basis in actual reality, and even contributed to the 2008 financial meltdown by rating several financial instruments and derivatives as top investment choices while they were clearly anything but.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
New York Public Library just released 20000 historical maps free to the public. I don't even know where to begin. Enjoy, thread!

http://www.nypl.org/blog/2014/03/28/open-access-maps

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

rscott posted:

This can't be right, NC residents are solidly Braves fans outside of transplant yankees.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

System metternich addressed this, but viewing the protestant work ethic as some kind of racist northern european attempt to feel superior to those lazy southerners misses the point entirely. That little triangle of northern france, southern england, parts of western germany and the netherlands did develop into the first modern industrial base in our world.

That's not to say that wealth didn't exist before in other places of the world, but it didn't exist on that level and in that particular form. England industrialized and dominated a quarter of the world. It's a small lovely island with bad weather. How did that happen and why wasn't it italy or china or russia or whatever empire/nation you want to name that didn't have this particular ideological grounding.

Seriously, i hear about this protestant work ethic thing all the time. If someone has a good argument against it, please make it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Panas posted:

System metternich addressed this, but viewing the protestant work ethic as some kind of racist northern european attempt to feel superior to those lazy southerners misses the point entirely. That little triangle of northern france, southern england, parts of western germany and the netherlands did develop into the first modern industrial base in our world.

That's not to say that wealth didn't exist before in other places of the world, but it didn't exist on that level and in that particular form. England industrialized and dominated a quarter of the world. It's a small lovely island with bad weather. How did that happen and why wasn't it italy or china or russia or whatever empire/nation you want to name that didn't have this particular ideological grounding.

Seriously, i hear about this protestant work ethic thing all the time. If someone has a good argument against it, please make it.

England industrialized first because they kicked a bunch of people off of their land who had nothing else to do but move to the cities and work poo poo wages. The rest of that region industrialized early because of global proximity to England.

Russia & China did not because they didn't value outside technology as an unambiguous good (for good reason in the latter's case), not due to laziness. Japan industrialized similarly to the rest of Europe once it had the means (i.e., knowledge) to.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rumda fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 1, 2014

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Panas posted:

You're basically asking why did the industrial revolution happen, which is a complex topic which involves a lot more then which denomination of a religion people follow. There's literally thousands of papers and books dedicated to that topic.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Also 'Protestant work ethic' is not a concept discussed at all or acknowledged to be a thing outside of nominally Protestant countries. It's a national pride thing that is usually deployed in Europe when we're talking about how really colonialism wasn't so bad.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Sri.Theo posted:

You're basically asking why did the industrial revolution happen, which is a complex topic which involves a lot more then which denomination of a religion people follow. There's literally thousands of papers and books dedicated to that topic.

I had a professor who was asked what was the closest thing to a one-sentence of summation of "how to industrialize", and he said the closest he could get was that when the rate of income growth in a population reaches a certain level over an extended period of time, industrialization eventually occurs. It's surely very rough and incomplete, but there you go.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

rscott posted:

The Cardinals being blue on this map is driving me crazy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And I thought there were some more radical protestant groups who thought that any achievement on Earth was pointless and they would be rewarded in heaven, leading to a less than ambitious work ethic? Or am I mixing them up with some of the Catholic heresies?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
The Protestant work ethic thing is also bunk because Anglicanism is a lot different from Calvanism and Lutheranism but they all fit under the Protestant tag, ergo, industrialization!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Protestant work ethic thing is also bunk because Anglicanism is a lot different from Calvanism and Lutheranism but they all fit under the Protestant tag, ergo, industrialization!
Anti-Catholic Work Ethic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Panas posted:

How did that happen and why wasn't it italy or china or russia or whatever empire/nation you want to name that didn't have this particular ideological grounding.

I've seen the argument that India could have started industrializing at around the same time as the UK (the technology was there, at least), but we'll never know since the British started taking over right around that time. That destroyed any chance of an industrial revolution taking place in India since the British focused on extracting raw materials to send to factories in England and then sending back the finished goods to sell in India.