Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Dantu posted:

Is Intelligence any good?
I think Almost Human would be more fun (I've watched like 2 or 3 episodes of Intelligence and Holloway is fun but his co-lead is written terribly and constantly needs to be saved despite being secret service) if you want something procedural and action-y. I'm sure Almost Human is getting a second season at this point because there's no way they're holding on til May to say "no".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I started watching How I Met Your Mother when it first aired in the UK when I was 15, and I realised right before watching the finale that it's the TV show that's been a part of my life for the longest period.

This isn't a good night for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How long does Amazon usually take when they pick up a series? Will I be seeing season 1 of Bosch fall of 2015?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GreenNight posted:

How long does Amazon usually take when they pick up a series? Will I be seeing season 1 of Bosch fall of 2015?

Alpha House's pilot went up mid-April and the series...mid-November.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

It was a pretty good finale. And the people acting like it ruined their lives in the thread was highly entertaining.
Well, see, if you look at it that way then the HIMYM finale was pretty amusing to watch as people melted down, which I will agree is fun to an extent.

But I thought if you took it at face value relative to the rest of the season, or the series, it was kinda poor because it was just a series of character assassinations or Thomas and Bays making GBS threads on them just wring out some forced emotional moments out of them. It just seemed at some points really inconsistent but you know I would argue if they didn't spend 22.75 episodes hyping up and spending time on the weekend wedding, it wouldn't seem so bad. It would've worked better if the wedding topped out at 7-10 episodes at best and we started doing time skips from there ala the finale's framework to spend more time on the characters after the wdding. At least then you could provide more nuance to what plot points they wanted to hit, but sadly, I'm sure a part of it was also due to scheduling conflicts with Segel, though I wouldn't discount the fact they probably wanted to do the whole one-season-for-a-weekend thing regardless, and had their ending set in stone and had to stick to it no matter the cost.

I mostly just didn't feel like posting in the HIMYM thread because that's just mostly nitpicking or pointing out tiny details right now.

Sober fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 1, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

What's Bosch? Heironymous?

That's his name, yes.

DivisionPost posted:

Alpha House's pilot went up mid-April and the series...mid-November.

Did that show get renewed? I really liked it.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 1, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So going by tonight's Late Late Show being hosted by Drew Carey and George Grey, I guess that means The Price Is Right's April Fool's gag this year will be that it's hosted by Craig with Geoff as announcer. That oughta be fun.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Middle of the pack-style. Ehh, I wouldn't do me but it's hot.

I watch reruns often, NIGHT COURT and SEINFELD accounting for all. E: Gah, and of course MARRIED... WITH CHILDREN.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 1, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

This article is kinda bullshit but it did make me wonder, how often do y'all watch reruns? I don't mean like you'll rewatch a show on your DVR or Netflix or whatever, but actual syndicated old episodes that you turn on and sit down and watch. I probably haven't done this in years. I also don't really channel surf anymore.

Back before the days of DVRs and the closest thing you got to a program guide was that lovely scrolling TV Guide channel I used to watch reruns all the time. There's almost no point in the age of DVR and netflix, although I do watch classic Hawaii Five-O and A-Team reruns on the Antenna TV channel around noon when nothing better's on.

And Law & Order of course, I mean it's practically impossible to watch TV and not eventually catch a rerun.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Sober posted:

I think Almost Human would be more fun (I've watched like 2 or 3 episodes of Intelligence and Holloway is fun but his co-lead is written terribly and constantly needs to be saved despite being secret service) if you want something procedural and action-y. I'm sure Almost Human is getting a second season at this point because there's no way they're holding on til May to say "no".

Tell that to Alphas on Syfy. They left everyone hanging for like six months after the show ended just to tell us they were canceling it.

it still hurts, ok?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I still choose to believe the theory that Ted was struck by lightening and went crazy. So the mother had to fake her own death and go around acting like a very sexy baby.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 1, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bown posted:

I started watching How I Met Your Mother when it first aired in the UK when I was 15, and I realised right before watching the finale that it's the TV show that's been a part of my life for the longest period.

This isn't a good night for me.

Just means you should have been watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia instead. Or just The Simpsons, because that's going to be on the air literally forever apparently.

Sober posted:

Well, see, if you look at it that way then the HIMYM finale was pretty amusing to watch as people melted down, which I will agree is fun to an extent.

Having given up on the show right around Season 3, today has been a very amusing day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I gave up on HIMYM a long time ago (actually I never really watched it religiously at all) but once I started seeing thread reactions I had to tune in for the last half and it was so worth it. Irish Joe has got nothing on the level of trolling going on there, it was just one sublime middle finger to half the fans and a pandering fanfiction to the other half the fans.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Honestly I think it was just a matter of just poor execution on their part, just how the season was structured and how the finale played out. You could probably do exactly the same beats that they wanted in the finale up to and including the :airquote: dreaded ending :airquote: everyone was up in arms about without making it seemed forced (or in their case, even with an hour, pressed for time).

It certainly has more redeeming value than say, Dexter's series finale, which is just pants-on-head levels of stupid even in comparison to HIMYM's.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Was it as good/bad as the Lost or Battlestar Galactica endings?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
The anger in the himym thread is hysterical. Turns out when you treat a show like Lost you end up as mad as you were at the Lost finale!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

Was it as good/bad as the Lost or Battlestar Galactica endings?
Nothing can be good/bad as those. Those were best/worst!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
code:
okay to this is what happened after the ending of the series finale becase 
COME ON GUYZ WHAT WAS THAT I WAITED SO LONG AND I CANT BELEIVE THAT WOULD BE HOW IT ENDS

teds eyez teard up as he told them how he met there mom

"and then she died and i was really sad for a long long tiem"

"but dad whut about robin why don't u get with her you obviously still love her"

and then ted got back with robin AS IF THERE WAS ANY OTHER OPTION STPUID WRITER PEOPLE

and lived happily ever after <3

~~~tHe eNd~~~~

make sure to check my devientart 4 illustrations of the story ;)
I'm sorry.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I just watched the ending of HIMYM. It was pretty bad. Not bad in the way that is irritating or unexpected, just kind of rushed and boring and a milquetoast end to an unremarkable show.

At least the kids broke the 4th wall and called Ted/the writers out on it. There's that, I guess.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Goddamn it, I need a 2nd season of Chozen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bobfromsales posted:

The anger in the himym thread is hysterical. Turns out when you treat a show like Lost you end up as mad as you were at the Lost finale!

I would defend the LOST finale until my dying breath. This was hot garbage.

edit: Sepinwall's review is really excellent and explains critically both why that ending probably happened and why it was a loving terrible idea, go hunt it down

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bown posted:

I would defend the LOST finale until my dying breath. This was hot garbage.

edit: Sepinwall's review is really excellent and explains critically both why that ending probably happened and why it was a loving terrible idea, go hunt it down
I think end of Lost was a very good finale for season 6. I go back and forth on my opinion of season 6 as a whole.

BSG was the finale that pissed me off. A magic island is fine, but I will not stand for magic astronomy!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We're going to need to add HIMYM to the 'no ending chat' rule, aren't we?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Do you remember the whole episode about "Lemon Lyman"? Yeah, that came about because Sorkin got into an actual Internet shouting match with some guys on the TWoP forum. I kid you not. And he never really recovered. Since that day, Sorkin despises the "everyone's a critic" attitude you meet online, and from time to time he really lets it show in his scripts.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAB858elJOw
Something weird has happened here. They don't seem to have taken my response in the spirit in which it was intended.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
On the heels of the HIMYM talk, is this the right thread to ask people about GOOD season finales?

Every show I've ever loved has twisted into something bad and disappointing by the end. And there's something about the way a fondness for actors and crew and the possibility of continuation means so many shows have these weird toothless, cheesily-happy endings. Nikita and Burn Notice are prominent examples of this, with 24 and Dexter having similar issues. (Though even books and movies and video games seem to have real difficulty having good, satisfying endings.)

I wasn't a big Breaking Bad guy (and kinda skipped the last two seasons through youtube recaps, save for the last few episodes) but I thought that was a satisfying ending. Not surprising or terribly emotional, but a solid finish. That's about the only good major TV ending I'm familiar with.

I know goons loved the ending of Spartacus - as Democratic Pirate mentioned in the HIMYM thread. I watched the first season of Spartacus and couldn't really commit to the rest, so I've only read up on and seen clips of the finale. While I kinda get the gist and it seems pretty good, I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of context and emotion. (For example I have no attachment to, or knowledge of - Gannicus)

Most sitcom finales tend to rely on cliché and have finales devoted to weddings, births and rushing to airports (all three in the case of Frasier) and not enough actual comedy and so they all tend to peter out. Blackadder being a massive exception.

I've heard a lot of people mention The Shield's finale - I'd love to hear why. (I seem to be the only person who hated the show and only watched the entire first season because a college teacher forced me to.) Six Feet Under seems to have a popular one too.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 1, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Shield is great because people get what they deserve.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The original Scrubs finale was pretty great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Wire's finale was brilliant. Angel's was perfect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

The original Scrubs finale was pretty great.

Agreed. And the 30 Rock finale (slash last 3/4 episodes) were gold standard for how to end a sitcom.

Rarity posted:

We're going to need to add HIMYM to the 'no ending chat' rule, aren't we?

The HIMYM finale is a lot easier to analyse critically, and come up with actual reasons why it was bad/a failure, than either of those shows, so hopefully the arguments shouldn't be as bad.

It is important to remember that the episode AS A WHOLE wasn't the worst thing ever or anything, and they really nailed some scenes, but the overall trajectory of the story was so misguided in every way that it's one of those finales that actively serves to make certain parts of the show worse in hindsight. Like, gently caress, that's not exactly an easy thing to do!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Bown posted:

Agreed. And the 30 Rock finale (slash last 3/4 episodes) were gold standard for how to end a sitcom.

The HIMYM finale is a lot easier to analyse critically, and come up with actual reasons why it was bad/a failure, than either of those shows, so hopefully the arguments shouldn't be as bad.

It is important to remember that the episode AS A WHOLE wasn't the worst thing ever or anything, and they really nailed some scenes, but the overall trajectory of the story was so misguided in every way that it's one of those finales that actively serves to make certain parts of the show worse in hindsight. Like, gently caress, that's not exactly an easy thing to do!

Overall I enjoyed the finale quite a bit. My main problem is that Ted and Robin suck together.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I thought Bosch looked good, The After is one of the worst productions I have ever seen, it had no redeeming quality at all. How on earth was that picked up?

Dantu posted:

Is Intelligence any good?

It's basically a really really badly made power fantasy which has the unfortunate propaganda premise of "SPY ON EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE gently caress YEAH!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd already watched it, but it's a bit lovely that people were all cool with posting big finale spoilers in here without tags.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Me not knowing what happen!? *camera zooms in on my face which is like this -> :O shocked and amazed*

Me know what happen! *camera zooms in on face which is like this :| all plain and not happy and maybe even a bit not happy possibly update status to :(*

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are you talking to me? What the gently caress are you on about, are you drunk or something?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Spoilers! ;)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

VagueRant posted:

On the heels of the HIMYM talk, is this the right thread to ask people about GOOD season finales?

In the last couple of years Fringe, if you accept the whole power of love/last season premise thing. Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes even if it got very metaphysical. Nikita was quite good, so was Psych's finale. Futurama's was good too, although I prefer the original ending (The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings). Mystery Inc., The Clone Wars, Batman: TBATB and ATLA for kid's animation series. Spartacus was already named.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Futurama's finale was a good episode but a bad finale because it was only about Fry and Leela.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For all its ups and downs, The Office had basically the perfect series finale possible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^^ yeah, it was surprisingly great. Given how bad that show had slumped, they managed to pull it out for the last few episodes and made it worthwhile again. It's pretty much the exact opposite of what they did with HIMYM - a show that had slumped hard, had a different twist on its final season which at least made it interesting in parts, but then completely dropped the ball in the last 2 episodes. When your actual ending is the poo poo people have been joking about for 6 years? Change your ending, I don't care if you shot a few scenes during s2 to wrap it up. Change it.

VagueRant posted:

I've heard a lot of people mention The Shield's finale - I'd love to hear why.

It is really, really, really good. Not just the finale, but the episode that preceded it especially. Funnily enough they went the same route as HIMYM, but proved how you can write a story that long, with purpose, and not completely gently caress it up.

It's hard to explain why it's such a good finale without spoiling the show, and it's definitely one you should watch if action based cop drama is your bag. Everything gets wrapped up in the most perfect way, I don't recall hearing virtually anyone say they disliked it (if they were loving the show up until that point, anyway).

I guess The Shield gets overlooked a lot because The Wire is the 'go to' cop show, but it's amazingly consistent and absolutely worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The problem with most series finales is that the writers/producers/creators try to shoe-horn in messages about what their shows were 'really about' instead of giving fans more of what they actually liked about the shows. Lost and Neon Genesis Evangelion, for instance, ended on the preposition that it was the main character's emotional journey that really mattered. It wasn't, and people were understandably pissed when each show ended with ponderous bullshit while leaving the real story unfinished. Seinfeld tried to hammer home how awful the characters were, but everybody who watched the show already knew that and didn't need to watch Jerry and the gang become martyrs to the creators' need to prove the point.

The best finales, meanwhile, are those that don't try to do anything more than wrap up the show. Breaking Bad and Avatar:TLA are perfect examples of great finales. Breaking Bad concludes Walt's journey and Avatar ends with the bad guys losing in a climatic battle. No commentary. No bullshit. Just drat fine storytelling.

• Locked thread