Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For those of you who enjoy the movement aspects of the X games, on a whim I checked out a game on Steam called Cloudbuilt. It's sort of a third person wall running (think Mirror's Edge style but faster) and dash booster game with minor shooting elements, and the player character's design is pretty clearly Mega Man inspired. It has some probably dumb bullshit psychological meditation story since those are all the rage nowadays, but I've pretty much been ignoring and skipping through it.

All that being said, I would honestly recommend just waiting until it goes on sale if you're a little interested. The controls are a little too floaty for my tastes, but the developers are supposedly still working on refining that. I think it has potential, but definitely wait for a sale.

Here are the tutorial level and first level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IH14g3acc

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

So is it like really expensive and/or difficult (to program) for developers to put their games up on VC, or is this just their twisted idea of fan participation?

Heck it might even be Nintendo being weird and not wanting companies to dump a lot of games all at once. Considering how the VC went for the Wii and their history with online stuffs, I could believe that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Wii Virtual Console was such a frustrating letdown. They just... wouldn't put games on it!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, Comcept released a new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTogbZDTgvE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Remember what day it is.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I was expecting a cancelation notice.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Looks fantastic. I hope they do include apple mode in the final game.

PS: this is no where near the cruelest april fools joke. The prize belongs to Arika http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HH07hKkBAGM

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Almost made me think of Oysterman again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Simply Simon posted:

So is it like really expensive and/or difficult (to program) for developers to put their games up on VC, or is this just their twisted idea of fan participation?

Super Mario Bros. 3 has been listed as "coming soon" for as long as I've had my 3DS XL since November. It's not that it's difficult to port the games, it's just some business decision. Their Japanese counterparts have all been released on the Virtual Console. What's taking so long is anyone's guess.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 1, 2014

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Star Man posted:

Super Mario Bros. 3 has been listed as "coming soon" for as long as I've had my 3DS XL since November. It's not that it's difficult to port the games, it's just some business decision.

Year of Luigi, yo. Mario can wait.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Star Man posted:

Super Mario Bros. 3 has been listed as "coming soon" for as long as I've had my 3DS XL since November. It's not that it's difficult to port the games, it's just some business decision. Their Japanese counterparts have all been released on the Virtual Console. What's taking so long is anyone's guess.

Been out in the EU since December too so it's not a language problem, it's coming out for you guys this month but I don't even want to try and guess why it took another four months to do so :confused:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The internet: a global network of comp-

Nintendo: "Wait, wait, what was that first word?"

Global?

Nintendo: "Yeah, we don't like that. Can we... go without it?"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Dabir posted:

The internet: a global network of comp-

Nintendo: "Wait, wait, what was that first word?"

Global?

Nintendo: "Yeah, we don't like that. Can we... go without it?"
Meanwhile they thought the rest of the sentence was "network of competitors sharing the same TV"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seems appropriate for this thread.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I like to think they're shooting at Capcom.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
How's it hanging Volnutt.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Is that the smash ball super move?

That's pretty cool

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

How's it hanging Volnutt.

Well, he finally got on the 3DS.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That attack is Super Sentai as gently caress.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Star Man posted:

That attack is Super Sentai as gently caress.

Considering the last sub-franchise they made was basically Megaman as a sentai series, and they had the anime of its predecessor go that route, I'm hardly suprirse.

But yes sentai as gently caress. And it is awesome.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who's the megaman next to Volnutt? XZ Megaman?

VVVVV: Thanks.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 9, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kurtofan posted:

Who's the megaman next to Volnutt? XZ Megaman?

Starforce Megaman.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Interestingly, these are all the "different" mega men, aren't they?

Mega Man ZX was just X in a new compact form after the Zero series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nah, they missed one:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah, they missed one:

Calling Bad Box Art as one of MM's alt colors. Hopefully that makes his Final Smash partners resemble the various other BBA Mega Mans.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dresh posted:

Calling Bad Box Art as one of MM's alt colors. Hopefully that makes his Final Smash partners resemble the various other BBA Mega Mans.

Are we counting the package illustrations for Mega Man 3-5? That one's not so bad. The only ones that are really bad are the US and European illustrations of Mega Man 2 and the latter's only bad for being the wrong color and looking 30 years too old. The illustrations for Mega Man 9 and 10 are awful on purpose.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

This guy also got in as an assist :allears:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Nintendo, buy Mega Man please.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Nintendo, buy Mega Man please.

But which Nintendo studio should handle the property? I'm torn between Sora and Retro.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

But which Nintendo studio should handle the property? I'm torn between Sora and Retro.

Platinum :unsmigghh:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

senae posted:

Platinum :unsmigghh:

The great Megaman-off: Contract all three, winner can buy the IP.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You can hear a pretty sweat remix of Sparkman's theme in this segment of the Direct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw8yUNdgECA

(it also shows some of Megaman moves)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sakurai's a pretty huge video game music buff, so he must be pleased as gently caress that he gets to commission a bunch of Mega Man remixes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Petiso posted:

This guy also got in as an assist :allears:

uuuuuugh this model is so good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Given the announcement of customisable movesets, and given that we know all of Mega Man's moves, should we start speculating about what his variants might be? I'm thinking we'll see Shadow Blade as an alternate Metal Blade, possibly Charge Kick as a slide variant if they can come up with a good weakness and god drat they'd better have the MMIV buster and the Mega Arm. There's about six shields they could pick and choose from for alternate Leaf Shield although Star Crash and Plant Barrier are basically the same and Skull Barrier is worse than both. Maybe Drill Bomb as a less-damaging Crash Bomb with remote detonation?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

IronicDongz posted:

uuuuuugh this model is so good.

Imagine a Megaman only Smash.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda wanna play a Mega Man remake using those models as character replacements.

Smash controls optional.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mega Man Powered Up needs to be ported to more systems. These classic designs work so well in 3D.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dabir posted:

although Star Crash and Plant Barrier are basically the same and Skull Barrier is worse than both

I'm sorry, but one can be thrown and the other can't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Skull and Plant Barrier are almost exactly the same weapon, though Skull can block shots (vanishing in the process) and Plant afaik can't. Both are terrible in the "it's just a shield" sense, but also perfectly useable in the "it's a shield!" sense. Moreso in MM4 because gently caress Up&Downs.