Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm looking into tankless hot water heaters but have zero idea of what I should be looking for. They seem to run anywhere from $200 to $1000 or so... what are the defining characteristics of a good heater I should be looking at? Please treat me like a complete idiot, because when it comes to this I totally am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I finally got a look at my power bill, and this month we averaged 48kWhrs/day. I still haven't been able to find the meter. The building's old and it's been rainy, so I haven't tried terribly hard, but it's not somewhere obvious, because I've looked before. How does that sound for a 2br apartment? No dining room, three people. We cook, but usually only once a day.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

GabrielAisling posted:

I finally got a look at my power bill, and this month we averaged 48kWhrs/day. I still haven't been able to find the meter. The building's old and it's been rainy, so I haven't tried terribly hard, but it's not somewhere obvious, because I've looked before. How does that sound for a 2br apartment? No dining room, three people. We cook, but usually only once a day.

We use a little under that in our two bedroom when it's 110 out and the a/c is running constantly. I would go find that meter.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

GabrielAisling posted:

My wife and I used about 14kW/day on our last bill. This is for a 2br apartment as well. We cook pretty regularly, breakfast and dinner. Have computers that run 24/7, etc. Something is definitely up unless you are running your A/C all day.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Wiggly posted:

My wife and I used about 14kW/day on our last bill. This is for a 2br apartment as well. We cook pretty regularly, breakfast and dinner. Have computers that run 24/7, etc. Something is definitely up unless you are running your A/C all day.

That's usage for a month with almost no usage of the heating/cooling system.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
1bd apartment here with tons of laptops plugged in but no AC usage other than the fan to move some air. 17kWh/day on average.

Definitely time to find that meter.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Laundry room is a real good starting point for hunting up that meter.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Laundry room is a real good starting point for hunting up that meter.

We don't have one. There's a tiny laundry facility for the apartment complex (2 washers and 3 dryers), but no space in the units for machines. It's seriously the only thing I dislike about the place. When I get back home, I'll take my flashlight out and look pitiful if the redneck neighbor comes out to ask what's up. Maybe I can get back our chairs they borrowed. :smithicide:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GabrielAisling posted:

We don't have one. There's a tiny laundry facility for the apartment complex (2 washers and 3 dryers), but no space in the units for machines. It's seriously the only thing I dislike about the place. When I get back home, I'll take my flashlight out and look pitiful if the redneck neighbor comes out to ask what's up. Maybe I can get back our chairs they borrowed. :smithicide:
This is what I mean when I say "laundry room."

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
My fiancée and I have a medium to large 2 bed/LR/DR apartment and we only use 5-7 kWh/day. Gas heat, hot water, and stove, but we do have our own electric dryer and washer. Window A/C unit during summer. Heated blanket. Plasma TV and other electronics.

Unplug everything and see if your meter still spins. Flip your breakers to see if any of the building's shared indoor or high powered outdoor lighting is on your meter. Check the dryers in the shared laundry.

Does your bill say if its actual or estimated usage? Perhaps they're estimating based on the last tenant's usage and will adjust when they perform an actual reading.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

It's been pretty consistently massively high the entire time we've lived here. Nine months? Seems right. I've never had a power bill before, so it took me a while to figure out that it was way too high.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

GabrielAisling posted:

It's been pretty consistently massively high the entire time we've lived here. Nine months? Seems right. I've never had a power bill before, so it took me a while to figure out that it was way too high.
If you take 3 minutes and do one full walkaround of the building, you will find the meter. If there are overhead powerlines, follow them to the point of entry to the house - the meters will be just below that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is the electric company doing actual reads, or just estimates? Your bill should give you an indication. If it is an estimate, compare the last read on your bill to the current read on your meter.

Some utilities will give you estimates that are really high, to encourage you to give them a reading. Or, the last tenant was running a grow-op, and they are giving you an estimate based on previous usage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Moving into a literal gooncave this weekend.

Need suggestions on:
  • Where to get things to put on the feet of my bed/desk to protect the tile since I don't want to put rugs everywhere if I xan help it. (I'm not even sure what the proper name for them is to search.
  • Safe, yet tasteful ways to possibly cover all of those electric conduits on the walls.
  • Electric Logs for the fireplaces maybe?

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 26, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Where to get things to put on the feet of my bed/desk to protect the tile since I don't want to put rugs everywhere if I xan help it. (I'm not even sure what the proper name for them is to search.

These are just called felt furniture pads. You can get 'em practically anywhere.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You can do basically anything to that electrical conduit and still be safe. Outside of "paint it to match", there is not much you can do to hide it once it's installed. (They could have run it around the base of the room, instead of horizontally up the wall - but that's done now.)

That is the ugliest room I've ever seen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you really wanted the electric installation to be invisible, you'd have to do some major reconstruction. E.g. you could tear up the tile floor, install cables below it, and have outlets below a few removable tiles.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nielsm posted:

If you really wanted the electric installation to be invisible, you'd have to do some major reconstruction. E.g. you could tear up the tile floor, install cables below it, and have outlets below a few removable tiles.

I'm renting so that isn't really an option

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

photomikey posted:

You can do basically anything to that electrical conduit and still be safe. Outside of "paint it to match", there is not much you can do to hide it once it's installed. (They could have run it around the base of the room, instead of horizontally up the wall - but that's done now.)

I think it's a totally cool room. He just needs to embrace the weirdness and decorate it with some neat industrial pieces. I would trade my boring white walls house for that weird cave any day.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You just need to go all in and decorate as if you are actually living in a fortress. Tapestries on the walls (that will cover those conduits!), throw down a fur rug, hang a coat of arms over the fireplace.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ashcans posted:

You just need to go all in and decorate as if you are actually living in a fortress. Tapestries on the walls (that will cover those conduits!), throw down a fur rug, hang a coat of arms over the fireplace.

You have no idea how tempting this is.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Ashcans posted:

I was thinking a Twin Peaks style Pacific Northwest lodge, myself.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Ashcans posted:

That would be my immediate reaction to that room, too.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
I've been living in a rental house that I've been sharing with 3 other people. I never signed a lease and I paid a security deposit to the guy who is running the house and handles most stuff, also a tenant. The house was is pretty crummy quality when I moved in, and the other guys had been there longer than I had.

The owner of the house recently decided he wants to sell it, so we are all moving out. When doing a walk through, the house owner is claiming that there is excessive staining of the carpets, and water damage (95% certain this is from his HVAC unit due to condensate leakage). I'm assuming he will want to try and keep security deposits over this.

Anywho, since I never signed a lease, am I legally obligated to pay for any damage to the house? I don't want to just bail and say it's not my problem to the other tenants, but from a legal standpoint can I be held responsible. Also, isn't there a normal wear and tear clause for tenants - what is the life of a carpet? This is in northern California by the way.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

photomikey posted:

If you take 3 minutes and do one full walkaround of the building, you will find the meter. If there are overhead powerlines, follow them to the point of entry to the house - the meters will be just below that.

Found them. They seem to be doing actual reads every month, since it does vary, but it didn't vary nearly enough the two months that only one person lived here. Still need to coordinate with a roommate to shut off the main and do a meter reading. Oh, and figure out how to read the drat thing. It's a digital meter and currently says 21991.

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender

GabrielAisling posted:

Found them. They seem to be doing actual reads every month, since it does vary, but it didn't vary nearly enough the two months that only one person lived here. Still need to coordinate with a roommate to shut off the main and do a meter reading. Oh, and figure out how to read the drat thing. It's a digital meter and currently says 21991.

Are you sure it's not a smart meter? If it is than your power company will have your usage (15 minute, hourly, daily, monthly) that you may have access to see. Hourly or 15 minute data could help you pin point the problem.

*Edit* If you are still in GA it looks like Georgia Power has a program that switches meters to smart meters. See this for more information: http://www.georgiapower.com/residential/products-programs/my-power-usage/

John Kelly fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 27, 2014

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

John Kelly posted:

Are you sure it's not a smart meter? If it is than your power company will have your usage (15 minute, hourly, daily, monthly) that you may have access to see. Hourly or 15 minute data could help you pin point the problem.

*Edit* If you are still in GA it looks like Georgia Power has a program that switches meters to smart meters. See this for more information: http://www.georgiapower.com/residential/products-programs/my-power-usage/

Yes, it's a smart meter. I can only view daily totals, but it looks like our apartment was using 35 kWh/day over the weekend when we were all out of town and everything was turned off and/or unplugged except the kitchen. That's still completely ridiculous, even if the appliances are older and less efficient?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

GabrielAisling posted:

If you turn off the main, the meter will stop spinning. I hate to be a pain in the rear end, but turn off breakers one by one and see what they do in your apartment. When you isolate the one that doesn't do anything, that's the one that operates the electric dryers that is costing you all the money.

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender

GabrielAisling posted:

Yes, it's a smart meter. I can only view daily totals, but it looks like our apartment was using 35 kWh/day over the weekend when we were all out of town and everything was turned off and/or unplugged except the kitchen. That's still completely ridiculous, even if the appliances are older and less efficient?

Yes, that is really high for the time of year where heating or cooling isn't required. For example, my consumption is around 7 kWh/day during the weekdays when I'm at work and 12 kWh/day during the weekends for a 930 sq ft apartment with single pane windows and older appliances.

I would recommend turning off the breakers, like everyone is saying. It's a shame (and confusing for me) that you can't get 15 minute or hourly data from the meter. With that you could figure out if something communal is attached to your meter like the washer/dryer or outdoor lights. See how much past data from the meter you can get. With mine, I get 2 years worth of data so I can compare my usage to the person before me. At the very least you can rule your behavior out if the consumption didn't increase by much.

John Kelly fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 27, 2014

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

GabrielAisling posted:

Someones leeching electricity off you to grow weed.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
35kWh is nuts.

During the middle of last summer in my large and old two bedroom apartment, I used 24kWh per day. I worked from home, running multiple computers and 2 window AC units pretty much 24/7.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

Toshimo posted:

Moving into a literal gooncave this weekend.

photomikey posted:

Put up some blackout curtains, and paint your door grey. Hiss when you see sunlight because you're about to become one of the mole people.

Slightly more seriously though - rethink your stance on carpet, add some floor lamps, put some furniture in front of the power conduit, and figure out some way to secure some decoration to the walls. And stay over at a friends house as much as possible.

Or just embrace it

Ashcans posted:

Tapestries on the walls (that will cover those conduits!), throw down a fur rug, hang a coat of arms over the fireplace.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm telling you, just go all in with it. Throw a Game of Thrones-themed house-warming party. You might as well have fun with it!

vonnegutt posted:

I was thinking a Twin Peaks style Pacific Northwest lodge, myself.
This is probably the classier option, though, and spares you having to grow a beard/join the SCA

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Now I feel like I have to have my meter checked again because I got down to like 15KWH by not being home very often this month. I average 28kwh on normal months & I do not use excessive electricity at all. My house is electric only though.

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:

Ashcans posted:

I'm telling you, just go all in with it. Throw a Game of Thrones-themed house-warming party.

This would be my suggestion too. We have game of thrones wall hangings in our house cause we're nerdy uni students.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
What can I do about a management company not sending a notice of rent increase? Our rent was increased around this time last year, right as a new management company took over. It was just increased again without a notice of any kind, I logged into the web portal to pay for April and saw the increase. They are required to give 30 days notice for this amount of increase.

What should I do besides sending them an email asking what the gently caress? Can/should I report them before contacting them? This is in Los Angeles. I guess the main thing that annoys me about it is the fact that I think any kind of complaint will result in - at best - a waste of time for me, a letter being sent now, and the increase just happening next month anyway.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

I guess the main thing that annoys me about it is the fact that I think any kind of complaint will result in - at best - a waste of time for me, a letter being sent now, and the increase just happening next month anyway.
That is probably a correct summary. But you will avoid a month's worth of increase.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

That is probably a correct summary. But you will avoid a month's worth of increase.
You will also piss off your landlord. If you're planning to continue living there, probably best off just paying it, though it is loving bullshit.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Read your lease. Are you on a month-to-month after the original term, or does your lease have an automatic rollover into another term after the end of the original term (after original 1 year, automatically renews for another 1 year if you don't give sufficient notice to leave)? If it's an auto-renewal, does it specify how long before the end of the term they have to provide notice of rent increase?

Your only hope is that you rolled into a new term before they notified you of any increase for the new term. If you're month to month, they can just raise your rent before the next 1 month term and so it probably isn't worth upsetting the management over the small difference for 1 month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

You will also piss off your landlord. If you're planning to continue living there, probably best off just paying it, though it is loving bullshit.
He, the tenant is also pissed off. The landlord is not the only one holding cards in this situation. As a tenant, you're a customer worth thousands of dollars a year. They want to keep you happy, also.