Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Alright, most appreciated. I'm starting from scratch so that definitely helps. Definitely gonna need decent amounts of purple and yellow. Has anyone gotten to mess around with the Miss Sazabi? How does it hold up as a kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheManSeries posted:

So I think I may go for my first major custom paint job and airbrush work. After the new episode, I really want to make a Gunbuster themed Miss Sazabi. Will this be an adequate airbrush tool? Also what else will I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Hobby-Supplies-Citadel-Air-Brush/dp/B001B9CZRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396304104&sr=8-1&keywords=Citadel+airbrush

derp derp dont buy that. Even GW says its the worst
What's your budget and what are you trying to accomplish with airbrushing that you cant do now?

Where do you live?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 1, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

derp derp dont buy that. Even GW says its the worst
What's your budget and what are you trying to accomplish with airbrushing that you cant do now?

Where do you live?

I live in Knoxville, Tennessee. I'm willing to spend at most around 70ish for these supplies and frankly I assume especially for what I want to do with this kit that it's going to be a lot easier to tape areas off and spray on the colors I want for these kits then to hand paint them, especially since I'm going for a theme.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
At that price range, you're not going to be doing a whole lot of airbrushing, really. You could do spray cans, though, which aren't bad.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheManSeries posted:

I live in Knoxville, Tennessee. I'm willing to spend at most around 70ish for these supplies and frankly I assume especially for what I want to do with this kit that it's going to be a lot easier to tape areas off and spray on the colors I want for these kits then to hand paint them, especially since I'm going for a theme.

your only option at that price point is to borrow someone's gear or do spray cans

An airbrushing setup to duplicate spraypainting would run close to $70 and spraycans would be like $30

Something that can do actual detail work and shading would be at least $150

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 1, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TheManSeries posted:

So I think I may go for my first major custom paint job and airbrush work. After the new episode, I really want to make a Gunbuster themed Miss Sazabi. Will this be an adequate airbrush tool? Also what else will I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Hobby-Supplies-Citadel-Air-Brush/dp/B001B9CZRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396304104&sr=8-1&keywords=Citadel+airbrush

This is the weirdest looking airbrush I've ever seen, not one that I'd expect for detail work on model kits.

But yeah, if you're looking for an airbrush setup, you're likely going to be paying around 250 bucks.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Alright. I didn't know they were in that range. I'm not against spending that money, I just didn't know that it was really about that much. Are there pros and cons to airbrush vs spray paint?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TheManSeries posted:

Alright. I didn't know they were in that range. I'm not against spending that money, I just didn't know that it was really about that much. Are there pros and cons to airbrush vs spray paint?

Airbrushes will result in better paint jobs, but the con is good equipment is gonna cost nearly quadruple what you wanted to spend.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Air brushes allow you to mix colors and save a lot more paint than spray cans since you have way more control. Spray cans are cheaper at first, but they can add up in the long run.

If you plan to just do a one off project go for the spray cans, if you want to keep doing custom paint jobs, you may have to splurge and get the setup.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TheManSeries posted:

In my limited experience, it's the ability to mix your own colors and formulas, and better control over the airflow. Gunpla can be done with spraypaint, but getting to the point where you can do detail work takes a lot of practice.
This guy works entirely in spraypaint, if you're interested in pursuing this route. However, he's mentioned that honestly, with all the money he's spent on cans, he probably could've bought an airbrush.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Dual action airbrushes allow for all sorts of advanced techniques like shading, gradients, etc. They are also a one time investment, assuming you got a good one. Spraycans just spray paint.

If you only plan on doing one kit, spraycans are the way to go. If you plan on getting into painting for real, definitely nab an airbrush.

In other news, I'm looking at review images of the Dark Matter and wondering how hard it would be to convert back into the completed Amazing Exia. I do still have an Exia RII from way back sitting around...

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Monaghan posted:

Air brushes allow you to mix colors and save a lot more paint than spray cans since you have way more control. Spray cans are cheaper at first, but they can add up in the long run.

If you plan to just do a one off project go for the spray cans, if you want to keep doing custom paint jobs, you may have to splurge and get the setup.

Yeah, this really is a bit of a trial run based off an idea I had watching the finale. I just figured that I could spend around 100 bucks for kit and equipment and start practicing. I'll probably stick to cans unless I decide I want to go full pro and start doing crazy customs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Leper Colon V posted:

Oh my god, those under-arm blade holders alone are enough to make me want to buy the kit, so I can kitbash it with a Sengoku Astray, and have a Gundam Shiva it up with six blades.

If you don't mind painting, you can get generic-grey version of the Gerbera Straight swords, with attachable sheathes, as part of the Builders Parts line in the MS Launcher 01 pack coming in May. If you want the true Six-arm Shiva though, you'll want to get the Skull Weapon Set also coming in May.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
How much space would you recommend having for an airbrush? Also, is there any alternative to an electric compressor that's worth trying? We moved into a new townhouse and I'd like to convert the basement to my project space, but the floor is just painted concrete and the walls are painted cinder block, so the whole room just amplifies sound dramatically.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can get compressors that have air reservoirs, meaning you can have it fill up the tank while out of the room, and brush from that when you actually want to do work. As far as space goes, I don't know, but you definitely need extraction if you're working in a basement.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

How much space would you recommend having for an airbrush? Also, is there any alternative to an electric compressor that's worth trying? We moved into a new townhouse and I'd like to convert the basement to my project space, but the floor is just painted concrete and the walls are painted cinder block, so the whole room just amplifies sound dramatically.

As long as you have one of those filter fan setups, the name is escaping me, you have enough space. Really, the worry is whether or not you're gonna be able to ventilate, and in a basement, having a good setup is gonna be essential.

Honestly electric compressors are probably the best way to go. I'd recommend one of those lawnmower earmuff things, and combined with a quieter compressor, that should eliminate most of the sound.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You mean fresh air, right? I could fashion some sort of vent for one of the short windows in here, but it might not be ideal. Maybe I'll just use brushes for now.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

You mean fresh air, right? I could fashion some sort of vent for one of the short windows in here, but it might not be ideal. Maybe I'll just use brushes for now.

You want to construct an actual spray booth.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The Muffinlord posted:

You need to actively be pulling air from where you're airbrushing away, as it will be chock full of harmful paint particles. You need more than just a vent, you also need an extractor fan and tubing for it to travel along to outside, where it is transformed into harmless fairy dust

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That sounds dreadful, and seems like it'd be incredibly difficult to relocate, possibly to the point of not fitting through the basement door without disassembly. It's sounding more and more like I'm going to just grab some nice brushes and do color that way. Oh well.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There is this sort of portable fold up thing where you put the hose out of a window or whatever.

Speaking of Iwata, how's the Neo? I'm going to finally be buying my stuff soon and it seems like a good option for a beginner and the compressor+tank I'm getting comes with two other, no doubt lovely, airbrushes but neither are gravity feed and I heard that's what I really want for gunpla?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well, it's a rental property, so I'm pretty certain I have to leave the screens on the windows intact. I could use the practice with a brush. Plus, I can learn washes!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Our airbrush space is a 3 foot by 2 foot area behind a door in one of our rooms. We use a super low folding table, with no chair, that can move away when not painting, and a plastic equipment box for the airbrushes and compressor. If you have the tiniest bit of room it's enough, but as others mentioned you need a ventilation solution. I use two big fans and sit right against a window to accomplish this. Also a mask.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EthanSteele posted:

There is this sort of portable fold up thing where you put the hose out of a window or whatever.

Speaking of Iwata, how's the Neo? I'm going to finally be buying my stuff soon and it seems like a good option for a beginner and the compressor+tank I'm getting comes with two other, no doubt lovely, airbrushes but neither are gravity feed and I heard that's what I really want for gunpla?

that neo is fine, check your local craigslist first. People are always giving up and selling equipment
Ignore anything for makeup and dont buy a bundle

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Bandai's updated their monthly release calander, and now the HG Crossbone Maoh and Turn-A have a release date of the 12th of April.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
There's not that much airflow in the space. I mean, if I knew what I was doing, I bet I could make it work, but I've never used an airbrush before, so I think I'm going to stay away. So, with that in mind, anyone got a recommendation on brushes and paints for some fancy gundam building?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

drat that's a pretty box...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That June-release HGBF kit's been revealed and it's surprisingly not the Fenice Renescita. It's Ramba Ral's Gouf R35 :dukedog:.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That June-release HGBF kit's been revealed and it's surprisingly not the Fenice Renescita. It's Ramba Ral's Gouf R35 :dukedog:.

Surprising but awesome. Twice the shields means twice the cool.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I saw the announcement and I was wary of the date. I'm pretty into it, tearing it up as it did in the last GBF episode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah I'm worried it's an April Fools joke too. It would make sense, since the June kit was announced after the Rinascita was revealed, and it's just a modified Gouf, but I don't see any source at all.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah I'm worried it's an April Fools joke too. It would make sense, since the June kit was announced after the Rinascita was revealed, and it's just a modified Gouf, but I don't see any source at all.

I'm kinda thinking the Shamblo HGUC that was just announced is the April Fool because I doubt Bandai would do another huge kit like that right after the Neo Zeong.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Well the other thing too is... why would you announce a kit that looks good and even a newbie to gunpla/gundam like me would want then go 'haha we made you think we wanted your money. We dont.' As a joke? But im not an expert on Japanese humor so I dunno.

Edit: I just want to pose it on a tall display base shooting its weird handlooking guns under the shields like it did in the show.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 1, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's no source at all so I dunno why you're assuming Bandai announced it. Could be right off 2chan or something.

Honestly the more I look at the image the more I think it's fake. The resolution of the HGBF on the top left clashes with everything else, Bandai usually says "Roll Out" not "Release", and the image is still kind of jaggy from being taken right off the website. Crossing my fingers I guess since I'd like a kit of it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Crap, I keep forgetting what day it is. That's lame.
The Shamblo one is definitely fake too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TARDISman posted:

I'm kinda thinking the Shamblo HGUC that was just announced is the April Fool because I doubt Bandai would do another huge kit like that right after the Neo Zeong.

I want the Shamblo to be real. I hope Neo Zeong preorders have convinced Bandai that people want massive kits

edit: if this custom is scaled correctly a HGUC Shamblo actually makes a hell of a lot more sense than a HGUC Neo Zeong

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 1, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

boom boom boom posted:

I want the Shamblo to be real. I hope Neo Zeong preorders have convinced Bandai that people want massive kits

edit: if this custom is scaled correctly a HGUC Shamblo actually makes a hell of a lot more sense than a HGUC Neo Zeong

Yeah but it's all mutliple-jointed limbs and layers of playing, instead of having something like 1/3 of it being a pair of empty cylinders.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it looks like a diglett as a mobile armor

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neo zeong makes much more sense because it's a char suit and those suits nearly always sell like hotcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I don't think the Neo Zeong was in the Unicorn novels, if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure it's in Unicorn episode 7 because Bandai wanted to sell a big rear end model.

• Locked thread