Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

spasticColon posted:

Are you serious? I'm waiting for Assassin's Creed 4 to go on sale on Steam and I have a slower 660Ti. I'm not asking for the ultra setting at 1440p I'm only asking for the high setting at 1080p.

You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Does anybody know what software is used to find frametimes in game?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Ignoarints posted:

Does anybody know what software is used to find frametimes in game?

http://techreport.com/review/24553/inside-the-second-with-nvidia-frame-capture-tools - This should have what you're looking for. It doesn't look like its just a software setup but a hardware/software pairing that it used to determine frametimes.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/fcat/downloads - the actual FCAT software

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 1, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Beautiful Ninja posted:

http://techreport.com/review/24553/inside-the-second-with-nvidia-frame-capture-tools - This should have what you're looking for. It doesn't look like its just a software setup but a hardware/software pairing that it used to determine frametimes.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/fcat/downloads - the actual FCAT software

Oh man, you rock so much.

Of course the data capture card is expensive as hell. But I guess it would have to be though when you need constant accurate data in these time frames. Really enlightening article about frames per second in general though. And it's the first "confirmation" of the general grumbling I hear about crossfire setups versus SLI. I wonder if Shadowplay data can be good enough to run through FCAT... or if it's even applicable data since it comes from the video cards themselves and not necessarily from the "path" the frame has to go through to get to the actual screen.

edit: to be fair, AMD could have solved the issues since the article was released, but it is in line from the general feeling I got when looking into multiple gpu setups earlier

And it is now very clear to get the results I was looking for is no trivial matter. I didn't realize how many partial frames could be displayed at once during a single screen refresh. Analyzing actual screen output would be the only real way to test anything, but even FRAPs is in line with FCAT results with some of the more glaring issues. I guess I'll give it a try with shadowplay info, can't hurt.

And now I keep forgetting that shadowplay really hates my sli setup :(

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 1, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This might surprise some of you, but there are reports coming out that 20nm won't happen this year. I'm totally shocked and not at all happy with my purchase of 290s :)

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-20nm-delayed-late-2014-early-2015/

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

This might surprise some of you, but there are reports coming out that 20nm won't happen this year. I'm totally shocked and not at all happy with my purchase of 290s :)

Just another reason not to regret the GTX 770 I bought in January. The delay may force a price drop from nVidia's side, looking at the selection of cards nV really isn't competing in price/performance in too many price brackets, but nV basically hasn't had to worry about that for a quarter of a year thanks to dudes investing their life savings into Dogecoin.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Just another reason not to regret the GTX 770 I bought in January. The delay may force a price drop from nVidia's side, looking at the selection of cards nV really isn't competing in price/performance in too many price brackets, but nV basically hasn't had to worry about that for a quarter of a year thanks to dudes investing their life savings into Dogecoin.

:psyduck: if someone wants to risk buying from a website called "lcdscreenforlaptops.com"

http://www.lcdscreenforlaptops.com/...p4-2773-kr.html

Not a lot of reviews (more like none) but its been around a year and didn't come across anybody actually getting scammed so...

:lol: Okay, maybe not

http://www.lcdscreenforlaptops.com/...p4-2881-kr.html

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 1, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

:psyduck: if someone wants to risk buying from a website called "lcdscreenforlaptops.com"

Not a lot of reviews (more like none) but its been around a year and didn't come across anybody actually getting scammed so...

Call the phone number?

Called the second number, guy answered lcdscreenforlaptops or whatever. Im almost tempted to order this $380 asus 780 on my amex.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 1, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Don't use a debit card! :)

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Call the phone number?

Called the second number, guy answered lcdscreenforlaptops or whatever. Im almost tempted to order this $380 asus 780 on my amex.

Be our glorious guinea pig.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
yes, then time for mad flips

it is a real address at least, but it is currently under the name "CSC Services of Nevada" with just a google search. And while they don't specifically name that address, they don't seem to have a global listing of every possible location. There are no large signs from street view, but again... not a dealbreaker for the kind of complex it is.

Not a whole lot going for it, but no smoking guns either. I dunno.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 1, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ignoarints posted:

Welp, I think I might be the guinea pig. As long as they take discover. Discover loves to do charge backs on shady sellers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They are using shopblt's stock listings

http://www.shopblt.com/item/asus-gtx780-dc2oc-3gd5-geforce-gtx-780-pcie/asus_gtx780dc2oc3gd5.html

http://www.lcdscreenforlaptops.com/lightspeed.php/default/asus-pcie-3-0-3gb-gddr5-dvu-i-dvi-d-hdmi-941mhz-gtx780-dc2oc-3gd5.html

When you go to checkout chrome reports its not fully secure either.

The site uses SSL, but Google Chrome has detected insecure content on the page. Be careful if you're entering sensitive information on this page. Insecure content can provide a loophole for someone to change the look of the page.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 1, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Danger danger

Well... why use someone else's information at all if you're just scamming.

I still support veedub :P

That is, I support veedub if he still wants to, and only over the phone. So at least the probably is much higher that its just them if youre information gets stolen

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 1, 2014

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Don Lapre posted:

The site uses SSL, but Google Chrome has detected insecure content on the page. Be careful if you're entering sensitive information on this page. Insecure content can provide a loophole for someone to change the look of the page.

That's usually just bad website designers who link to images/javascript on HTTP instead of HTTPS.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

Danger danger

Well... why use someone else's information at all if you're just scamming.

I still support veedub :P

That is, I support veedub if he still wants to, and only over the phone. So at least the probably is much higher that its just them if youre information gets stolen

If they are scammers and you give them your information over the phone they could just give it to whoever.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

If they are scammers and you give them your information over the phone they could just give it to whoever.

Yes, I mean as opposed to someone just using their website to hijack information

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

veedubfreak posted:

But will they still push out an 800 series of cards or will the 700 series be the newest for a much longer period than usual?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i'm looking for a video card that can drive 3 displays. Two should just be a standard extended desktop on normal monitors and the third one is connected to a projector via hdmi which would need to mirror one of the monitors.

After watching this video it looks like the only way to do this would be to use the two dvi outputs to drive the monitors and a displayport to hdmi adapter for the projector? Is this possible or am I just getting it all wrong?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

smelly cabin filter posted:

After watching this video it looks like the only way to do this would be to use the two dvi outputs to drive the monitors and a displayport to hdmi adapter for the projector? Is this possible or am I just getting it all wrong?

Pretty much any combination of ports will work. A single DP can drive multiple displays if they support DP 1.2 (tends to be finicky in terms of compatibility), and DVI - HDMI adapters are available as well (work on any DVI port, but no audio with most cards).

Not all DisplayPorts support HDMI output (but most do), so check that before you buy. Pretty much all modern cards come with three, four, or even five, outputs (typically 2x DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI), so you won't have much of a problem finding a card suitable to your needs.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 2, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Torabi posted:

But will they still push out an 800 series of cards or will the 700 series be the newest for a much longer period than usual?
According to the rumors it depends on just how bad the issues are with the 20nm process. If the situation is only kinda bad, they'll drag out the 700 series a bit longer, maybe with a price drop if AMD rolls something out. If it's really bad, they'll do 800 parts on the existing 28nm process, like they did with the 750/750ti (which would probably get 800-series rebadgings).

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Rastor posted:

According to the rumors it depends on just how bad the issues are with the 20nm process. If the situation is only kinda bad, they'll drag out the 700 series a bit longer, maybe with a price drop if AMD rolls something out. If it's really bad, they'll do 800 parts on the existing 28nm process, like they did with the 750/750ti (which would probably get 800-series rebadgings).

Yeah I don't see why they wouldn't, it's not like it would be a waste of time or anything if the 750ti is any indication. Although still a disappointing situation of course.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Does anybody know if I used a lovely smaller monitor as a second display, specifically for this:

would it have a significant impact on fps on my main monitor? BF4 supports a battlelog minimap, which I assume isn't part of the game engine but I really have no idea. It would be nice if it actually worked well since I'm in my map at least 50% of the time. I have a bad feeling if its web browser based its not going to be instantly up to date, which is the only reason I use it, but if it isnt be a bad idea for my fps I'll pick up some $25 monitor off craigslist or something and find out.

Edit: It is web based, and I can try it with my laptop first. Either way I'd still like to know, but at least I can try it now

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 3, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If its web based id try it with something like an ipad.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I doubt using a tablet browser would make for a very good experience, but they actually make tablet Battlelog apps, that would probably be pretty nice and smooth. I have a 1440p monitor and use a 1080p secondary for the battlelog/battlescreen whatever map, it works pretty well, though obviously there's a bit of an fps hit that you can't really quantify. Then again just having a second monitor plugged in will cost you an fps or two.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Straker posted:

I doubt using a tablet browser would make for a very good experience, but they actually make tablet Battlelog apps, that would probably be pretty nice and smooth. I have a 1440p monitor and use a 1080p secondary for the battlelog/battlescreen whatever map, it works pretty well, though obviously there's a bit of an fps hit that you can't really quantify. Then again just having a second monitor plugged in will cost you an fps or two.

Nice, would you say its as smooth or updates quickly like in game? I use it to locate people near me when they fire which can literally mean I have a second to react (in hardcore)

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
It's not as smooth as the map inside the game itself running at 60+ fps, but if you're already used to looking for stuff on the minimap, then it's probably fast enough to be usable for that. I haven't used it in a little while but last time I checked it was subject to hardcore restrictions, ie if a server has the minimap/3d spotting disabled then I don't think you can use the battlelog map :(

I think I mainly used it to find vehicles while in jets, watch for people getting in vehicles, map-scale stuff like that instead of looking for people popping up because they just shot a bunch of stuff around the corner. Same kind of thing you'd normally use the big map for.

Straker fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 3, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Straker posted:

It's not as smooth as the map inside the game itself running at 60+ fps, but if you're already used to looking for stuff on the minimap, then it's probably fast enough to be usable for that. I haven't used it in a little while but last time I checked it was subject to hardcore restrictions, ie if a server has the minimap/3d spotting disabled then I don't think you can use the battlelog map :(

I think I mainly used it to find vehicles while in jets, watch for people getting in vehicles, map-scale stuff like that instead of looking for people popping up because they just shot a bunch of stuff around the corner. Same kind of thing you'd normally use the big map for.

Ah okay. I'll give a try, but my excitement is diminished to say the least. I bind the large map to a mouse button to locate people around me (in hardcore, with no minimap). It would only work if it were as fast as the in game map however.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
E: Apologies

shalcar fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 4, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

shalcar posted:

So my GTX 570 just gave up the ghost and I need to get a new video card. Am I correct in assuming the GTX 770 is the equivilant replacement in this generation? Is it any good or should I be getting a different card? Actual price isn't a huge issue but reasonable value for money is.

This is not the parts picking thread.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty much any combination of ports will work. A single DP can drive multiple displays if they support DP 1.2 (tends to be finicky in terms of compatibility), and DVI - HDMI adapters are available as well (work on any DVI port, but no audio with most cards).

Not all DisplayPorts support HDMI output (but most do), so check that before you buy. Pretty much all modern cards come with three, four, or even five, outputs (typically 2x DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI), so you won't have much of a problem finding a card suitable to your needs.

Cheers, I was looking at something like this although i'm worried about the lack of actual dvi connectors. Does displayport also convert to dvi output?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

smelly cabin filter posted:

Cheers, I was looking at something like this although i'm worried about the lack of actual dvi connectors. Does displayport also convert to dvi output?

Yes, displayport will convert to single link dvi. You need an active adapter to convert to dual link dvi. As long as you are just doing 1080 off of the displayport a cheapo adapter works.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Did you buy that 780 ti lol

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ignoarints posted:

Did you buy that 780 ti lol

Nah. Already have entirely too much poo poo around my house I need to sell. Not gonna add to the stack.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Nah. Already have entirely too much poo poo around my house I need to sell. Not gonna add to the stack.

Likely avoided a scam anyway

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have another two 750ti's on the way to me, debating whether I should just resell them on the forums, or if I should test my "ghetto SLI" theory where I try to run two instances of one MMO on two different monitors and get each card to dedicate resources to one monitor.

Edit: Oh yeah, does anyone know if it would be possible to create a SteamOS VM, dedicate the second 750ti to it, and stream a game to someone else without locking the main OS? It would be awesome if I could basically stream games to renters in my building onto their crap PCs, as an added amenity.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 4, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, does anyone know if it would be possible to create a SteamOS VM, dedicate the second 750ti to it, and stream a game to someone else without locking the main OS? It would be awesome if I could basically stream games to renters in my building onto their crap PCs, as an added amenity.

Yes, if and only if your PC is rather beefy and it includes VT-d support (IOMMU, peripheral virtualization) in the motherboard, CPU, and hypervisor. And then you still need a terminal (monitor hooked up to the physical video card, keyboard and mouse passed to the VM).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have a question regarding overclocking my 780ti - MSI afterburner lets me increase the voltage by up to 75 mV - Agreed's keppler overclocking guide says to just shove this slider as far as it goes, but he also talks about an upper limit of 38 in his example. Is it safe to increase my card's voltage all the way up to +75?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

The Lord Bude posted:

I have a question regarding overclocking my 780ti - MSI afterburner lets me increase the voltage by up to 75 mV - Agreed's keppler overclocking guide says to just shove this slider as far as it goes, but he also talks about an upper limit of 38 in his example. Is it safe to increase my card's voltage all the way up to +75?

IIRC that wasn't voltage at 38, that was the stable turbo bin he found on his "old" 780 that I am now in possession of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Lord Bude posted:

Different cards have different voltage ceilings set by the manufacturer. That slider is non-equivalent from brand to brand, or from SKU to SKU within the same vendor on the same chip.

Edit: Oh, yeah, btw, they are draconian as all hell when it comes to how much power it can actually draw so just slide that allll the way over and forget about it. You have to dick with the tables using an editor or flash the BIOS to actually push harmful levels of power through all but the most uber overclocker [h]-style supercards with thirty VRM stages and a spoiler for the top of your comp to make it go faster due to the ground effect.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 5, 2014