Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jeek posted:

Shannon's position in the murder scene is weird as well. According to the picture, she died facing the dresser, which would be awkward for someone to stake her in the face. Not sure what to make of that observation though.
Unless the stake shot out of the mirror. :lost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Jeek posted:

Kumasawa is still way too suspicious for my taste.

Staked in a non-fatal location, and the stake conveniently fell off? That is the perfect way to fake death, especially since the only one capable of examining dead body is dead as well. It would also explain the sequence breaking - faking a stake in the head, chest or stomach is more difficult after all.

Well, even with the stake being faked, I don't know how easy it would be to fake that cut on her neck:

Shiny777 posted:

That gaping wound on their necks definitely made me want to avert my eyes, but after seeing the Halloween party in the chapel, even though I thought it was horrible, it was no longer enough to make me feel sick.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Jeek posted:

Kumasawa is still way too suspicious for my taste.

Staked in a non-fatal location, and the stake conveniently fell off? That is the perfect way to fake death, especially since the only one capable of examining dead body is dead as well. It would also explain the sequence breaking - faking a stake in the head, chest or stomach is more difficult after all.

Shannon's position in the murder scene is weird as well. According to the picture, she died facing the dresser, which would be awkward for someone to stake her in the face. Not sure what to make of that observation though.

As food for thought, the narration actually mentions it so it's not a case of "the guys doing the PS3 graphics thought it'd be a neat detail."

Shiny777 posted:

Shannon-chan's corpse was face down in front of the dresser, lying in a sea of blood.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Part Forty-Three: Ashes to Ashes

On the contrary, he didn't even feel like using the locks to block the culprit.

He wanted that person to come at him openly, from the front.

...If it was the murderer, he thought he'd ask them to tell about some of those wonderful closed room tricks as a parting souvenir.

If it was the witch, he thought that she would at least take his life with some wonderful magic.

...However, ironically, neither of these two came to meet Battler...

Battler opened the liquor cabinet on his own and enjoyed the liquor to his heart's content.

First screaming about Beatrice, now wandering off to kick back and get smashed while the clock ticks down. Perhaps Maria isn't the only worthy heir the family's produced.

No longer was there anybody anywhere who would have a problem with him drinking alcohol.

He boldly set both of his legs on the extravagant table cloth and savored the high quality liquor, which probably had a mind-boggling price, tilting down each one of the bottles...

At that time, ...someone knocked.

Battler realized that someone had finally come to greet him...

: "Even though I look like this, I am well known as a breast-sommelier, you see? ... Hic."

: "...It's Genji, Battler-sama."

: "...Genji-san, is it...Sorry, but I have no interest in your bust size. Please, come in. It's open."

: "...Excuse me."

Genji-san opened the door and bowed.

...So Genji-san was the criminal after all, ...or maybe an accomplice?

...That theory probably explains most of the tricks...

: "Did you come to give me my last rites?"

:"...Nothing of the sort. ...I apologize if I am disturbing you."

: "... Battler-sama, do you love alcohol so much, that you will spend the little time you have left before you die drinking it?"

Those words, pierced me...

...That wasn't true.

: "...It's just that, if I don't drink it, nobody will. ...I don't know the flavor of alcohol at all..."

You're kind of a lovely sommelier, then, if you know nothing about the booze half of your job.

: "...You are just like Master. Indeed, you inherited Master's blood strongly..."

: "You mean that Grandfather, the heavy drinker, drank to drown all his cares in alcohol...? That's a first."

: "...After some sad incidents, Master's life, ...was completely reduced to atonement."

: "...What do you know?"

: "Wha-...what did you say...?"

My drunkenness was completely blown away.

I lowered my feet from the table and listened carefully to hear what kind of words Genji would say next...

: "Battler-sama...I shall guide you to the Master's study. ...It would probably be better to hear it directly from them."

: "From, ...them...? H-hey, what in the world do you mean by that...!!"

We climbed a big staircase, ...towards the third floor.

Genji-san stopped walking halfway.

He then turned back and spoke.

: "...What you see is as it appears. What you hear is as it sounds, so please accept it. Why? What? ...There is no need for questions like that. ...Battler-sama, you will probably at least know the truth. I will leave it completely up to you, Battler-sama, whether to accept it, believe it, or deny it."

: "..."

Genji-san checked one last time to see whether I was prepared to know the truth.

The eighth twilight had already ended.

And at the ninth twilight, the witch would be revived, ...and nobody would be left alive.

It meant that Beatrice was already being revived.

...And probably, none of us would be allowed to live and return.

If I was going lose my life anyways, ...I wanted to know the truth in the end.

...It didn't matter how hard it might be to accept.

: "...Indeed, you are just like the Master in his youth. ...Battler-sama, please be diligent in your studies. In the future, you will surely have great aspirations. And at that time, make sure that there is nothing that you will regret for your entire life due to lack of knowledge."

: "...If I have chance to work hard in my studies, then no problem."

It felt like Genji-san's silence forced me to consider that resignation of mine more deeply...

Genji-san picked a gold key with an elegant design out from his pocket.

The master keys had been confiscated by Rosa oba-san, but the key to this study was the only one he had kept with him.

He put it in the keyhole, ...and it made a heavy clunking sound.

: "...Master. It's Genji. I brought Battler-sama with me."

There was no reply, but it seemed that permission to go in had been given...

: "Come, Battler-sama. ...Please, go in."

: "...Yeah. ...I'll go in."

I readied myself, ...and threw the door open...

(Click for the audience with Beatrice)

At that moment, ...I got slightly disoriented by the dazzling golden glow...

It was, ...somehow, ...a swarm of butterflies, shining gold.

The golden butterflies that were completely filling the inside of the study poured out all at once...

And, ... there was a sofa like a reception chair in front of the study desk, ...where I could see Grandfather's back. 

There was someone on the side opposite from Grandfather.

...It was a shadow, so I couldn't see it well...

: "... Master. I brought Battler-sama."

: "...Battler, is it? I'm busy thinking now... Be silent for a while..."

Kinzo declared that unhappily, his back still turned.

It seemed that he was enjoying playing chess with a visitor...

Apparently, the opponent had counterattacked with a superb move.

Kinzo seemed to be enjoying himself as he thought deeply, while occasionally laughing and groaning...

Well, I suppose that's one way to kill the time when there aren't any disrespectful servants around to gently caress with.

: "...Fufufufufufufufu. Indeed, this is a deeply matured move. ...So fun, so fun..., *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*, hahahahahahaha...!! Unbearable, unbearable."

: "... Wha-, ... What is, "...this...”

: "So you came, Battler. I've been waiting for a while. Be silent for Kinzo's sake. ...Isn't it too early to resign, Kinzo? I could already counterattack it in several ways. *cackle*cackle*cackle*...!"

It should have been, ...my first meeting with that witch.

However, ...I knew this witch.

Even though it was our first meeting, ...I knew her, ...from the portrait...!

: "Genji. Serve some alcohol for Battler. What would be an appropriate liquor for this man...?"

: "...That liquor which Master has loved since the days of his youth."

: " I, ...I have a bunch of things I want to ask about!! What happened on this island?! And why did incidents like these occur?! I want to ask about the closed rooms too!! What about the chapel?! What about Jessica's room?! And the servants' room?! And Natsuhi oba-san's room?! And the parlor?!"

: "Eeeeeehhh, be quiet!! You think you'll get answers if you ask?!?!"

: "Don't say that, Kinzo. A fragile and fleeting spider web did protect from King Herod once. ...Just like there are no useless things in this world, there are also no useless questions."

: "If you hear everything and are able to accept my existence, ...kneel and kiss my shoes. I called you here because I wanted to make you surrender to me. ...Kinzo and I made a bet. We bet on which would come first, Kinzo thinking of a new move, or me making you surrender. I don't feel like losing. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*...!"

: "...D, ...drat you, talking so tough!! Yeah, alright. Try to make me admit it. ...Try to make me admit that you're a witch and that you can use weird, awesome, and great magic!! If I surrender, I'll kiss you or do anything else!!!"

The witch cackled gloatingly.

Then, she glared at him unpleasantly with eyes that said a man can't go back on his word...

And we get one of these again.

Way to be the one who fucks it up for everyone this time, Rosa.

Well, guess it's time for the tea par-

-Or not. There's still one chapter left to go first.

Rosa finally arrived at the chapel.

She pointed her gun around her, screaming the witch's name, but there was no way there would be an answer.

After grimacing slightly, she noisily approached the table where her siblings corpses were still exposed, and stretched out her arm towards the gold ingot.

It was very heavy, but Rosa didn't mind. She wrapped that one up in a blanket, and threw it over her shoulder.

: "At least..., with just this one... Just this should be worth more than 10 million..."

Without letting go of her gun, Rosa also carried the gold.

...Her shoulders were screaming. but Rosa didn't mind.

: "Kihihihihihihihihihihihi. I don't kno-w. Even if you don't search for her, you can meet her in the Golden Land. ...Kihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi, ouch."

: "Stop that laugh!! ...Aaah, it almost makes me want to laugh!! That's right, that was definitely a witch, definitely a witch!! I didn't understand, I thought it was a human calling herself a witch, I was wrong!!! ...That really was a witch!! I won't be fooled by something like that!! You're there, right?! Come out, show yourself!! Beatriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!"

: "At least call me a queen. Hoh, what a brilliant move. So your blood, no, Ushiromiya's blood is bad at giving up. ...How pleasant! Truly an elegant night. Ku-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-ha...!!"

: "...Master, Beatrice-sama. It will soon be time for the banquet."

: "Already? ...That's fast. Every night I pass with you goes by fast, the moon falls like an apple, and the sun leaps out of the river like a small fish."

: "I'll introduce you as my new furniture, ...no, as my toy. To the dignitaries among witches."

And Battler has heard the truth, surrendered, and is now a chair. Naturally, we still don't get to hear any of it ourselves.

The witch was relaxing elegantly, her feet thrown out from the sofa and sitting on top of a footrest.

...However, the footrest wasn't a part of the sofa, ...it was a human. Which was down on all fours...

: "...Beatrice-sama, your silk dress."

: "You are the guest of honor, but I am the host. I will go out first. It would have been nice if Shannon were here to help dress you, but, unfortunately, it seems that she no longer remains."

: "...I am grateful for your words."

: "Good. Wait downstairs, you two. Genji, good work, set the dress down over there."

: "...Certainly. ...Well then, Master."

: "We will go first. ...Beatrice, I will see you later."

: "Hmm."

Kinzo and Genji left the study.

After that, the witch and the dress and the furniture remained.

: "It's because you are furniture. Fu-rniture. Understand? Furniture, just fu-rniture! Who would feel shame at exposing their body to furniture? So there is no reason for me to feel shame because of you. ...*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"

When the witch stood up, her jacket slipped off, just from her shoulders.

...After that, the jacket fell to the ground with a thump.

When the furniture respectfully approached to pick up those clothes, the witch gave it a small kick and it fell over.

...The furniture was afraid of what misconduct it had shown...

: "Do you, as furniture, plan to force me to unbutton myself? ...Stand. And undo the buttons. ...One by one, politely. Quickly. Beautifully. With no mistakes. The guests are being kept waiting, change my clothes quickly."

: "...Yes..."

Hey, cheer up Battler. As soon as the party's over she'll probably get you fitted with, like. Laser eyes and a chainsaw arm or something. It'll be great.

(Click for the golden banquet.)

But they all had one thing in common, and that thing was exceedingly bizarre.

...Because all of them, ...had goat heads.

I don't know whether it was a goat mask masquerade, ...or whether they really had goat heads.

...It probably couldn't be the latter, but in this bizarre world, I really didn't know which was true...

It varies. Sometimes the goats are witches, sometimes they're just disposable mooks. Sometimes they're actually goat men, sometimes they're just all wearing goat masks for...some reason.

At that time, Genji's voice rang out through the hall.

It was a voice calling for silence.

That voice stopped the voices of idle chatter, and everyone turned to face Genji.

: "...Tonight marks the entrance of our Golden Witch, who had achieved her revival, the Lady Beatrice. Everyone, please welcome her with your applause."

When Genji began to applaud, it quickly spread through the guests, and became thunderous applause.

The goat nobles offered unanimous words of celebration in some long-forgotten language.

And those who were deeply intimate embraced, filled with joy at their reunion.

As the witch offered greetings of reunion, ...the witch's furniture followed behind her the whole time.

...There were chains around its neck.

These were gripped in the witch's hand, like it was a trained dog.

The chains weren't there to restrain it.

...The chains were a restraining device whose only purpose was to injure the furniture's dignity...

He wasn't permitted to wear anything else on his body.

You know, maybe the guy who suggested this was all a super elaborate fetish thing was onto something.

: "...How pitiful."

: "O-h, Lady Bernkastel. Welcome. Do you like my furniture?"

: "...That's a nice hobby."

After saying only that, the witch called Bernkastel once again put on her goat mask, and was sucked in by the shadows of the other tall goats...

:"Ahahahahahahaha... Sore loser. She's irritated."

: "You're right. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle* *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"

The young women goats giggled, and the witch once again let out a high-pitched laugh.

: "Thank you for gathering here for my sake!! Why don't we enjoy to the fullest this 'banquet of the witch', where old friends have gathered from past and present. east and west...! Come, we will eat all night, drink all night, slurp all night, and chew to bits all night as we enjoy ourselves!! Look at the clock, it shows the time when the ending hour and the beginning hour melt together, ...come!! Let us begin the banquet of the witch!!!"

: "Come..., now is the time!! Open the golden door...!!!"

Amidst the goats' delighted voices, the mansion of the human world and the mansion of those not human overlapped, ...and the members of the household that praised the resurrection of the Golden Witch scattered into gold butterflies, ...and poured out of the depths of hell...

It was, ...a golden, ...tornado.

...A rondo of golden demons.

The goat nobles were suddenly crushing in around Kinzo.

...Almost like they were kids demanding the signature of some famous movie star.

There were two differences.

First, they were witches, not kids.

And second, what the witches demanded were not signatures.

It was a grand mixture of laughter and his death throes.

And Kinzo became wine and meat and bread.

...Um. Well, that stopped being a happy ending for the poor guy pretty drat fast.

An aroma if slurped, a rich taste if gnawed, and pleasant to tear to bits!

The voice of his death throes lingered on sweetly, if you adorn melted chocolate with a golden argent, it would be a wonderful dessert!

If you took the bones home, you could also use them in a soup, and the remains could even become toys for the children to play with, and they could also become good tools for fortune-telling that always gave misfortune!

That entire scene, ...was watched by the furniture.

It was all fantastical. ...It was all demonic.

: "Kneel and show your respect. Rub your forehead against the carpet and show how vulgar you are. Put your hands behind your back and swear that you will offer all your flesh and blood to me."

: "...u, ...ah..."

The furniture let out a painful voice.

...Fear is the most basic emotion humans have.

...Was that emotion reviving his sense of self, which should already have been killed?

: "...Hmph. So, you are still far from being appropriate for my furniture. Good! I will carefully finish you, to make you the kind of furniture I like, the kind appropriate only for me. ...Is the best you can do now simply entertaining the guests?!"

And from the ugly teeth that stuck out of countless mouths, saliva, ...or maybe the traces of meat and wine that they had just eaten, dribbled down...

: "...e, ...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!"

As the furniture let out a wild scream, it retreated, still sitting on its backside.

...But the circle of goat nobles was closing in...

But there was nothing but scorn on the witch's face, and she wasn't even facing the furniture anymore.

The witch went off to greet an honored guest with whom she had crossed gazes...

The goat nobles looked down upon the furniture.

They had truly been waiting.

Just like how one must remove the cork in order to drink champagne, before bringing the offering served at the banquet to their mouths, they were waiting for just one of those.

Of course, the furniture didn't know about those.

...But it came out of his mouth all by itself.

Just like there is certainly a pop when the cork comes out, it certainly came out of his mouth.

And then goats ate everyone, the end! Or, well. Not quite the end still...

This is the scene I mentioned earlier. This is The Worldenddominator Scene. You should probably click to watch it!

: "Maria, quickly!! Run!! Quickly quickly quickly quickly!!"

Rosa held onto the blanket wrapped around the ingot and the gun, and ran at a speed Maria couldn't catch up with, sometimes pausing to call out at Maria to run faster.

Therefore, she saw it every time.

...She saw the golden pursuers chasing them from the mansion!

The mass of gold butterflies was chasing after them like a massive crawling hand!!

And strange-looking shadows with goat heads were chasing after them...!!

There was no need for her to strain her eyes.

Because those blazing pupils told her what would happen if she was captured.

: "...Mama, wait, Mama, wait, ...uu-uu-, ...ow!!"

Maria fell down.

For just an instant, Rosa was ashamed by her thoughts of abandoning her daughter and running away, and at the instant her feet touched ground, she ran back.

: "Mamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!"

Rosa rammed into the goat head with her shoulder, spun, bashed the back of her elbow into the goat's jaw, and buried her knee into its protruding chest!!

And she thrust the barrel of the gun inside the goat head's mouth as it doubled over from the pain in its gut!

: "...Just try laying one finger on Maria in front of me. I'll show you just how lukewarm the hell you came from is."

Aww, look. Rosa's finally being a non-poo poo parent. And all it took to make this happen was a horde of murderous man-eating goat dudes!

: "Mama!! Mamaaaaaa!!"

Maria, who had been released, hugged Rosa.

But the pursuers were still coming! They could see the giant goat heads, who had given up pretending to be human, running towards them from across the rose bushes.

Rosa spilled several extra bullets, which had been in the pocket of her coat, all over the place, and told Maria to pick them up.

Rosa's gun roared four times.

But even though four shots really did hit the massive, approaching goats in the chest, they didn't even flinch!!

The goats ran with a violent vigor, as though they planned to crush Rosa and Maria with those massive bodies!!

: "Put the bullet in!! Quickly!!"

: "U, uu-!!"

Rosa grasped the blanket with the ingot in both hands, and she herself sprinted, pulling it along!! Without even an ounce of fear of those strange-looking giants!!

If it's to protect my daughter, I'll overcome even hell!!

: "I'll show you... This golden dreeeeeeeeeeam!!!"

Rosa's roar. The goat heads' roar.

The terribly heavy ingot, after picking up a terrible centrifugal force and speed, slammed into the head of the goat head.

That stinger sliced into the left eye of the goat head as it fell over. Was the goat head's roar a scream?

But Rosa's roar was different.

She pulled back her fist and slammed it into the fountain pen that was still sticking into the goat head's eye.

The pointed tip was gouged into the depths of its head...!

Why couldn't you be like this all the time, Rosa? You're actually kind of awesome when you're not busy being a shitheel.

: "Mama, put bullet in!!"

: "Good job!!"

When Rosa grabbed the gun Maria had thrown, the giant finally tumbled on the ground with a thunderous crash.

However, at the same time, I saw the goat head pursuers on the other side of the rose bushes increase in number.

I've gained enough distance for now!

I can't let go of the gun that protects my body.

I can't let go of the gold that protects my future.

But even so, I let go of the hand of my daughter, the person who is my future...?!

Run. Run. Run.

She got out of the rose garden and began to run down a staircase through a grove of trees.

But Rosa knew. This path through the grove turned and twisted many times, and only seemed long. She tore straight through it!

She had always played here since she was a kid.

So she knew!

: "Kya!!!"

: "Mamaaaa?!"

As she raced down the stairs, she took a bad step.

A violent pain ran up her left ankle and her mind went completely blank.

Tremors in the earth were getting closer.

It was only a matter of time before the goat heads flooded in.

She didn't want to imagine how many there would be, or how strange they would look.

The lightly dancing gold pursuers arrived.

The gold butterflies surrounded Rosa and Maria, waving and clamoring as though saying 'the prize is here, the prize is here'.

Rosa couldn't even try to get up.

The violent pain from her broken ankle was so great that she couldn't ignore it, even in her last moments.

...What has my life been?!!!

I was born in an incomprehensible house!

With an irritating older brother and sister since the day I was born!!

What did I do?!

No matter what I did or didn't do, I was always in trouble and bullied and made fun of!!

What has my life been?!?!

: "Mama..., Mama, Mama...!!"

The roar inside Rosa's heart shriveled away and disappeared.

...It disappeared when she listened to Maria's crying voice, as she sobbed and clung onto Rosa.

: "Maria, ...even though I'm such a bad Mama, ...you still say you want to be with Mama?"

: "Yes...! ...Want to be with Mama..., want to be with Mama...!"

: "Hey, Mama. ...Did you know? There is only one Mama in this world. There's no good Mama or bad Mama. ...There's just one Mama. So for Maria, it's alright if there's only one Mama in the world. And Maria wants to become the only Maria for Mama."

: "...I was, ...such, ...an idiot...I didn't need gold. If only I had just pulled your hand...I was such, ...a stupid Mama...!!"

The shadows of the goats covered the sky even more than the trees of the forest.

Their roars blotted out the world with fear.

Rosa, still hugging Maria, readied her gun with one hand.

: "Maria, let's go together. Always together. ...So that Mama doesn't get lost, always together...!"

She had bought that as a birthday present, ...and then hadn't played it for Maria after that night.

: "Yes, let's play, together!!! I promise!!!"

: "Mamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!"

Those eyes, sparkling like red-hot lava, looked just like a group of fireflies.

They danced, closed in, and attacked.

Alas, maternal rage only counts for so much when you can't run or stand to fight.

And Rosa's got a finite number of bullets to Beatrice's arbitrarily large horde of goats. In the end...

But hey, at least she got to go out swinging. That's better than uh...basically everyone but Kanon, Shannon, and Natsuhi. And for one brief, shining moment, she was actually pretty awesome.

NOW it's time for a tea party.

And...huh. Looks kinda like something's missing here, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Next time: The PERFECTO dinner.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh.... errr... um... So Shannon, George, and Gohda were found dead in the room. The room was locked, the only keys were either inside it or in Rosa's possession and she didn't do it.. uh..

Screw it it's magic.

Wild speculation: Rosa has a multiple personalities (the earlier scenes with Maria seem to indicate that), and one of those did it. So it's both Rosa and not-Rosa.

E: Missed the new page, that was a thing... It's hard to argue that everyone being eaten by sentient goat people and the girl from Higurashi being there isn't down to magic.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 31, 2014

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
This scene is so great. There's a reason it burned World End Dominator into the minds of everyone playing it.

I think overall people list Episode 2 as their least favorite of the original four, but I still really like it to this day.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

KamikazePotato posted:

I think overall people list Episode 2 as their least favorite of the original four, but I still really like it to this day.

Well, that's mostly down to the slow beginning. It definitely drags down the overall impression for most people.

Almost to chapter 3 now!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Beato isn't big on Safe, Sane and Consensual, is she? :gonk:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Episode 2 is probably my favorite of the 4. I always forget about the slow start and remember Rosa fighting goats.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Episode 2 has pretty much become my favorite episode once I've gone through the entire series.

It's pretty much the single hardest episode, so once everything's figured out it's fun to look back on it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:stare: Since when was Rosa able to fight like a professional assassin?

KamikazePotato posted:

This scene is so great. There's a reason it burned World End Dominator into the minds of everyone playing it.

Instantly added to my playlist. It's nice and long, too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:stare: Since when was Rosa able to fight like a professional assassin?
She does have Kinzo's DNA in her. You really think Kinzo couldn't fight off an army of demonic goats if he felt like it?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

KamikazePotato posted:

I think EP2 is like Ace Attorney 2, sandwiched by overall better entries in the series but with perhaps the best ending.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

She does have Kinzo's DNA in her. You really think Kinzo couldn't fight off an army of demonic goats if he felt like it?

I wouldn't put it past him.

Also, WorldEnd Dominator is always amazing.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks to the chess scene, we know that "Beatrice" can't be Kinzo or Genji. And combining that with update 22, we now know the below persons cannot be the mastermind as they are with Battler when he meets Beatrice:

The three cousins, Natsuhi, Kinzo, Genji

Eliminating one third of suspects is pretty good, I guess? :v:

CottonWolf posted:

Wild speculation: Rosa has a multiple personalities (the earlier scenes with Maria seem to indicate that), and one of those did it. So it's both Rosa and not-Rosa.

E: Missed the new page, that was a thing... It's hard to argue that everyone being eaten by sentient goat people and the girl from Higurashi being there isn't down to magic.

Note that the only part where Battler is talking in first person after the chess match is that he noted a lot of goat-headed people in the banquet. The man-eating part can be all bollocks since it is told in third person.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 1, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't know how much I spoil here, but the banquette scene did confuse me back in the day and there will be no real explanations about it.

Actually, my friend told me the best advice: "Trust everything Battler sees, except when he is drunk"

Oh yeah, the Rosa scene.

This scene kinda absolved Rosa for me. It shows that she can realize what she is doing is wrong and how she is the worst of parents and sometimes tries to be better... even if it takes a Goatpocalypse to realize.

Maybe she'll be shown in a more positive light from now on...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also just because of this scene she became playable in the fighting game, with all the moves we've seen, gunplay, Maria reloading, using goldbars and pens.
Too bad I cannot post videos due to spoilers.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jeek posted:

Thanks to the chess scene, we know that "Beatrice" can't be Kinzo or Genji.

Yeah I dunno about you but I don't think glowing golden butterflies are actually real.

Bholder posted:

Also just because of this scene she became playable in the fighting game, with all the moves we've seen, gunplay, Maria reloading, using goldbars and pens.
Too bad I cannot post videos due to spoilers.

Speaking of other videogames, there's a sidescrolling flash game called Rosa Musou, similar to the NES game Kung Fu.

If I remember correct it's got at least EP4 spoilers though.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 1, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wait, we're supposed to be trying to figure out whodunit and howdunit this early? It's kinda hard when reality changes what events happen between episodes.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Wait, we're supposed to be trying to figure out whodunit and howdunit this early? It's kinda hard when reality changes what events happen between episodes.

It's too early for that, but it's not a bad thing to form theories. Just revise them as new stuff comes in. (And be cautious of getting so stuck to a pet theory that you ignore evidence to the contrary.) Or you can just wait until a later Episode to start trying to figure it out.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If we're doing that, Rosa is correct when she points out that Genji is super suspicious. Maybe he just got fed up with these unappreciative losers. :colbert:

Also, I guess there's a pretty good chance this Rosa scene didn't actually happen, huh? :(

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well, everything that happens before the family gets on the island is the same in each recursion. Battler meeting his family, the drama with Shannon, Kanon, Jessica and George, Rosa beating her child on the train, and so on. What's different is the events that happen once they get there, so what changes?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dr Pepper posted:

Well, everything that happens before the family gets on the island is the same in each recursion. Battler meeting his family, the drama with Shannon, Kanon, Jessica and George, Rosa beating her child on the train, and so on. What's different is the events that happen once they get there, so what changes?

Uh, the murder locations and murder victims?

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Also, I guess there's a pretty good chance this Rosa scene didn't actually happen, huh? :(

Looks like it. But then, there's a good chance the whole Battler scene we got didn't happen either cause we didn't see it in his own first person perspective. So really, episode 2 so far ends on a big mystery.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

People who think that scene does anything for Rosa should take a closer look at what Maria wished for upon entry into the Golden Land.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Bholder posted:

Actually, my friend told me the best advice: "Trust everything Battler sees, except when he is drunk"
Guess that makes sense, since his view would be distorted by being drunk after all.

In that case, I would like to bring up an interesting fact: Battler has never met Kinzo in person other than the drunken encounter. I have been suspecting that Kinzo is dead before the family meeting even begins (and that "Beatrice" is actually impersonating him), as all information on him is from third-person accounts which are known as unreliable.

EDIT: Do you think there is a typo in this picture? Why is Rosa's name in quotation marks unlike the others?

Jeek fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 1, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I thought that was just because Rosa had denied the witch's existence and so didn't get to go to the Golden Land, so Maria needs to wish for her to come. Although I guess if that were the case it'd be worded differently.

The most important change seems to be the introduction of a nineteenth person, Beatrice, although I think Kyrie was the only person to see her. :tinfoil:

edit: good catches, Jeek. Maybe a person disguised as Rosa...? If Kinzo were dead beforehand that does kind of gently caress up the epithet though

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Jeek posted:

Guess that makes sense, since his view would be distorted by being drunk after all.

Actually I think it's more like, he started to believe in Witches so he saw some.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The most important change seems to be the introduction of a nineteenth person, Beatrice, although I think Kyrie was the only person to see her. :tinfoil:
Maria and Rosa saw her too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Uh, the murder locations and murder victims?

Yes but why do they change? :)

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

A witch did it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm glad somebody gets it.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I think the author of the series said everything isn't 100% solvable until the end of Episode 4, but it's still a very good idea to start forming theories at this point. Just don't get too attached to pet theories like someone already said.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dr Pepper posted:

Because the mysterious "Beatrice" is moving openly and is seen by the guests.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jeek posted:

EDIT: Do you think there is a typo in this picture? Why is Rosa's name in quotation marks unlike the others?

If I remember correctly it's the translators' way of transcribing Japanese quotation marks 「like these」. The same thing often happens when people, particularly Maria, exclaim that witches 'exist'. The VN engine doesn't allow for stuff like bold and italics, so it seems to be used for emphasis of some ambiguous (magical?!) kind. Pretty sure it's not meant to be read :airquote: like this :airquote:.

KamikazePotato posted:

I think the author of the series said everything isn't 100% solvable until the end of Episode 4, but it's still a very good idea to start forming theories at this point. Just don't get too attached to pet theories like someone already said.

I'm not sure I would say everything is 100% solvable even after the series ended, but yeah. A good chunk of clues about the mastermind and their motivations has been given already, plus each gameboard is solvable on their own.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If I remember correctly. We are not even told the whole truth (Or we are and are not sure if it's a lie I don't remember.) even at the end of the series.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes we totally are. :colbert:

People make Umineko out to be waaay more complex then it really is just saying.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 2, 2014

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

You're given enough information both textually and subtextually to make a very good guess as to what's going on. But there's no parlor scene. Nobody sits down and explains everything in a black and white flashback before the perpetrator is carted off to jail.

There's also a competing theory that, in my opinion, doesn't stand up to the text evidence like the main theory does.

It encourages re-reading to really get a good grip on the story and there are a lot of scenes that seem out of place that make a lot more sense on a re-read.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
Of course the answer is simple.

It was magic and a witch did it all. From murders to what Battler had for breakfast the morning before coming to the island.

It's the truth.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

tiistai posted:

I'm not sure I would say everything is 100% solvable even after the series ended, but yeah. A good chunk of clues about the mastermind and their motivations has been given already, plus each gameboard is solvable on their own.
So we should, in theory, be able to solve all murders that has occurred if we would just read more carefully?

And since the murder method/location/victim differs from episode to episode, can we still assume that the mastermind is always the same person in each episode?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Maybe it was the introduction of a nineteenth person in this episode that motivated a different person to start the killing/mastermind everything?

edit: basically what Stabbey said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Jeek posted:

So we should, in theory, be able to solve all murders that has occurred if we would just read more carefully?

And since the murder method/location/victim differs from episode to episode, can we still assume that the mastermind is always the same person in each episode?

I believe that it's possible in theory to solve the murders so far on the information we've already seen in the LP. Supposedly, some people when the game came out actually did manage to solve the murders based on that info.

I don't think it would be right for anyone to confirm or deny the existence of a constant culprit or mastermind to the thread, though.

• Locked thread