Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina

No. 6 posted:

I've been friending "People You May Know" on Facebook all day, and it still don't know anyone on this plane. Advice please! TIA

well if they're dead their not going to Friend you back, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh
Any news on the mangosteen recovery operation tia.

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW

maxidious posted:

nothing but fishing nets and orange colored garbage

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

maxidious posted:

it's a briny lassi but good

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

lol we're never going to find out what happened to this plane

think about it

it's never going to happen

I would personally put money on a few pieces coming ashore somewhere in the next 1-5 years. Then literally nothing forever.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

maxidious posted:

its moving from GBS to FYAD where people are real

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
well, if the blackbox fell into the Marianas trench.

hrmm.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

James Polk posted:

well if they're dead their not going to Friend you back, lol

Ungrateful pricks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

James Polk posted:

I often wonder that. If you're in the back of the plane there'd be like 1 whole second...and then nothing.

There's always the afterlife:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EevFm0UnIqs&feature=youtu.be&t=15s

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Ironed Idol posted:

well, if the blackbox fell into the Marianas trench.

hrmm.

Wrong ocean budski.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ivor Biggun posted:

Wrong ocean budski.

OR IS IT?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I mean really. Who the gently caress knows at this point.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Waldo was one of the passengers

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Guys, Carmen Sandiego is still on the loose.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No. 6 posted:

Guys, Carmen Sandiego is still on the loose.

caught her in morocco like 10 years ago dude

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

myshl0ng posted:

Waldo was one of the passengers

Impossible. We would have the plane, all of the passengers, like, 500 additional people and something like 40 of them would be dressed like Waldo, but with a different stack of books, or a hiking pole rather than a stick, or different glasses.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

demonR6 posted:

"The Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation said Monday that the last communication with the air traffic controller was "Good night, Malaysian three seven zero."

Imagine that..

This is the least newsworthy bit of news to come out about this plane so far. Other than highlighting that the Malaysian government can't even do something trivially simple like play back the ATC tapes and write down what was said, this literally means nothing. Pilots say all sorts of stupid poo poo when leaving frequency, "Goodnight" followed by the callsign of the plane is about as common an example as I can think of. I've heard everything from "Cheers guys have a good evening" to "Thanks for the service" obviously all followed up by callsign, this particular set of words doesn't strike me as even remotely odd.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

James Polk posted:

I often wonder that. If you're in the back of the plane there'd be like 1 whole second where you see the front of the plane collapsing toward you obliterating everyone, followed by the force of your body getting crushed extremely quickly, and then nothing.

However, in this case, it seems possible that the passengers knew there was something wrong for several hours, that there was a good chance they were going to die at any moment, and there was nothing they could do about it. If I were in that position, it would probably ruin the last little bit of my life.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

amityville anus posted:

chinese officials are telling family to get their poo poo together and quit bitching

drat, finally. It's like talking a kindergartener down from a fit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genesplicer posted:

However, in this case, it seems possible that the passengers knew there was something wrong for several hours, that there was a good chance they were going to die at any moment, and there was nothing they could do about it. If I were in that position, it would probably ruin the last little bit of my life.

The passengers on that one Japanese airliner that blew out its whole tail section underwent several hours of violent altitude changes as the pilots sought to control the plane purely by manipulating engine throttle. Crash site investigators later recovered many farewell letters written by the passengers on whatever paper they had on hand.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Guys, it's gone.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

mstrkrft posted:

Guys, it's gone.

Truth

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

mstrkrft posted:

Guys, it's gone.

No. it is somewhere. we just don't have the faintest clue where.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

it's loving, gone man

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

James Polk posted:

it's loving, gone man

This plane is a lot like life, man. It can just vanish. Poof!

Really makes you think

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

A plane can't just disappear. You'd need to hide it under thousands of feet of something and there's just no place on Earth where that could happen.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

The passengers on that one Japanese airliner that blew out its whole tail section underwent several hours of violent altitude changes as the pilots sought to control the plane purely by manipulating engine throttle. Crash site investigators later recovered many farewell letters written by the passengers on whatever paper they had on hand.

Jesus Harold Christ, that's wrenching. Can you even imagine.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
God works in mysterious ways and disappearing a plane full of hundreds of people was a part of his divine plan.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mdemone posted:

Jesus Harold Christ, that's wrenching. Can you even imagine.

It gets worse. It turns out there were lots of survivors but the Japanese government didn't bother sending rescuers for a day or so, and the US basically begged Japan to be allowed to send helicopters over immediately only to be denied. People died of their injuries and exposure when they could've been saved.

GBS 1.0 comment was "Well you just don't understand what it's like to be a Conquered Country, how could they ever accept help?".

quote:

Flight attendant Yumi Ochiai, one of the four survivors out of 524 passengers and crew, recounted from her hospital bed that she recalled bright lights and the sound of helicopter rotors shortly after she awoke amid the wreckage, and while she could hear screaming and moaning from other survivors, these sounds gradually died away during the night.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Let's add more fuel to the fire. Last night I stopped at fast food for a bite and on CNN they were talking about the possible cover up by not only the Malaysian government but now Boeing. The conspiracy theory they are purporting is that Boeing knows what happened due to the engine data being transmitted and where it went down. To save themselves from litigation, fines, their stock taking a beating along with the other bevy of nightmares associated with their aircraft being the reason for the crash. This would still leave a hijacking or other pilot fuckery on the table so providing help to pinpoint the location the aircraft went down is less agreeable than shrugging your shoulders and saying "I dunno?" hoping it is never found.

Brilliant!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I think its gone, guys

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
GUYS I FOUND IT, I FOUND THE PLA no wait, those are just my car keys.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The search teams are really over thinking this.

They just need to stop looking and go about their business. Once the plane no longer feels threatened, it'll come out on its own.

A sprinkling of jet fuel might help too. The plane will feel safer if it associated them with getting food.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it was actually only 32 minutes, but that's 1919 more seconds than I would want to live while knowing I'm going to die.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

A plane can't just disappear. You'd need to hide it under thousands of feet of something and there's just no place on Earth where that could happen.

You're right. It must be in a salt mine.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
Aha! Here it isn't!

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I think it was actually only 32 minutes, but that's 1919 more seconds than I would want to live while knowing I'm going to die.

You're going to die. I hope I didn't ruin the rest of your life.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

pacmania90 posted:

You're going to die. I hope I didn't ruin the rest of your life.

No because I still have a chance to sleep with your mom. If I was on a plane and about to die I would have to be on the same plane as her and those are not good odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wreckage confirmed, blackbox beacon located!

• Locked thread