Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Anyone else crashing a lot since beta started? In alpha I didn't crash at all. In beta I crash on zoning about 33% of the time and also lock up while using my pulverizer sometimes. I don't have any performance problems, the game actually runs really well, it's just the lockups that are annoying.

edit - also pulverizer tip, or more so a warning. Don't keep holding down mouse1 while you switch to your pick, it will pulverize the mineral without giving you the resources.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

joebob posted:

Anyone else crashing a lot since beta started? In alpha I didn't crash at all. In beta I crash on zoning about 33% of the time and also lock up while using my pulverizer sometimes. I don't have any performance problems, the game actually runs really well, it's just the lockups that are annoying.

Yes, but theres a workaround I found on the forums. Ever since the beta started I crash on zone about 50% of the time. The kicker is that it isn't a real crash, it just looks like it locks up at the loading zone. ctrl+alt+delete, going into the tank manager, and then waiting a few seconds resets the graphics and should get you playing again. If not, repeat. That works like 90% of the time.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 1, 2014

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I have a question. Where do you guys primarily hang out / chat? I've been hovering in irc and it has been a ghost town, and the in game chat channel hasnt fared much better

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Huttan posted:

How long does it take you to farm the parts for a single pick?

Hard to say. Took me 4 tries to get one that was better than my cobalt, so I was just harvesting til I got one while doing other things.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Meow Tse-tung posted:

ctrl+alt+delete, going into the tank manager, and waiting a few resets the graphics and should get you playing again. If not, repeat. That works like 90% of the time.

Thanks! That does work for the lockups on zoning. I am also getting random CTD's though. Still, that gets me halfway there.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mephiston posted:

I have a question. Where do you guys primarily hang out / chat? I've been hovering in irc and it has been a ghost town, and the in game chat channel hasnt fared much better

I've been running around gathering after I found out that i didn't have nearly enough stuff to build my hobbit hole after I claimed that little mountain just southeast of eltoasto, so I just haven't been in the goon valley.

Also there's an in game chat channel?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Bauxite posted:

I've been running around gathering after I found out that i didn't have nearly enough stuff to build my hobbit hole after I claimed that little mountain just southeast of eltoasto, so I just haven't been in the goon valley.

Also there's an in game chat channel?

/join eqnlgoons

The main issue with in game chat is if you are reading it you can't see what loot you are getting. Loot really needs its own, secondary, window.

Huttan
May 15, 2013
I found some guy following me around with a pulverizer last night. Every time I went to mine something, he'd basically destroy the minerals and dig a hole to China. So I gave up mining (until he got bored and went to dick with someone else) and went to cut down trees and press wild flowers.

Are clothes the only things you can currently make with what one harvests with a sickle?

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Sancho posted:

Like this sort of?

Saw someone on the forums that could sort of do it. I have no idea how, i don't use smoothing right now.

Yeah that's exactly what I am looking for, any chance you have a link to the thread?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Azhais posted:

Hard to say. Took me 4 tries to get one that was better than my cobalt, so I was just harvesting til I got one while doing other things.

What's the general opinion on which sort of pick is the best?

My cobalt pick has the speed boost, which just feels so drat nice to use because you tear through poo poo like butter; but my mithril pick is regular speed with a "plentiful" trait, which supposedly increases the amount of resources I get, though I can't say I really notice the difference.

I don't know if it's worth making more mithril picks until I get a fast one.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Do mithril and cobalt share the same "can mine materials x, y, z, and below?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
No, however the things that require a mithril pick aren't in the game yet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

biznatchio posted:

What's the general opinion on which sort of pick is the best?

My cobalt pick has the speed boost, which just feels so drat nice to use because you tear through poo poo like butter; but my mithril pick is regular speed with a "plentiful" trait, which supposedly increases the amount of resources I get, though I can't say I really notice the difference.

I don't know if it's worth making more mithril picks until I get a fast one.

I had a "Great" Cobalt pick, which was awesome. Reach, wider area harvested. The name didn't lie, it was pretty great. I redid my mitril til I got a blue "fast" one (or whatever the speed boost stat was). I miss the reach, but the mithril is better overall. Now that I've got my legendary smelter and refiner built I might work on a few more and see if I can make a better one, but its pretty low priority. Need to focus on getting a million alabaster so I can look down on you plebs in the valley from a white tower on the mountain.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

aaaaaaugh I forgot to equip my mastercraft bracer before making all those keen-eye bands :smith:

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Diran posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I am looking for, any chance you have a link to the thread?

Was in an old alpha thread from a guy on the landmark forums named Rykath. If this works -

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/32-voxel-circle-old-vs-new-smooth-tool.25226/

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Sancho posted:

Was in an old alpha thread from a guy on the landmark forums named Rykath. If this works -

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/32-voxel-circle-old-vs-new-smooth-tool.25226/

Thanks a lot, it takes some trying to get the shape right, but it does work with the current smooth tool.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So a couple of spaces have opened up in and around goon valley. Theres a strip of space in the south end, and one on the hill the other side of my plot to the southeast.

Y'know, if anyone is looking for some room.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Someone mentioned to me that they went back on their promise to allow AI scripting and player quests(eventually) in Landmark.

Is this the case? I realize EQN is more-or-less emergent quests and other dynamic events rather than the traditional things we're used to, but the entire reason I was interested in Landmark was being able to make up quests instead of just building a house.

I spent many, many, many long hours in Neverwinter building levels and campaigns, and I wanted to do the same here since the editor looks much better, but heard that they're not putting in questing and when I tried to google it it wasn't much of a help, just lots of forums threads asking for it.

I'm sure it isn't in yet, and that's fine, but Soon™ would be ideal.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It won't be soon. They first have to implement all the landscape generation and building parts of Landmark. It's very likely that the game will release with gameplay consisting only of ressource harvesting and building.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Yeah, not any time soon. Closed beta is supposed to last longer than the alpha, and that stuff will be after the end of closed beta.

The Blueprint posted:

Everything after Open Beta Launch

Landmark is an MMO. Therefore it is never done. We'll be developing and refining it for many, many years.

But there are also MANY things still to come for Landmark after we go Open Beta.

Remember, our motto is that "everything we can do, you can do". So as we continue to develop tools for EverQuest Next, we'll be bringing those elements into Landmark as well!

Things to look forward to on that front include:
  • AI editors and monster creators
  • Dungeon mastering tools, like scenario layout and story arcs.
  • An interaction system allowing you to hook up behaviors and physics on the creations you've made.
  • PvP rules creation systems
  • And a lot more
All of these features will be delivered as "fun to use" features...not complicated scripting languages. Just consider what the folks in Alpha did to push our building tools to their limits. Now imagine what you can do with all this other power we're sending your way.

It's going to be amazing.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Mephiston posted:

So a couple of spaces have opened up in and around goon valley. Theres a strip of space in the south end, and one on the hill the other side of my plot to the southeast.

Y'know, if anyone is looking for some room.

I think they were non goons too, someone grab the spots quick.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

joebob posted:

I think they were non goons too, someone grab the spots quick.

Oops, I think one of them might have been me. I really like this game, but I just don't have the time to do anything more than, like, once a week on it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I told myself I was going to wait until open beta, but an acquaintance from another forum offered a key and I couldn't resist.

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

I told myself I was going to wait until open beta, but an acquaintance from another forum offered a key and I couldn't resist.

Even with it being purely gather and build at the moment, its surprisingly addictive.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

That's pretty much all I needed to hear. Someone I was playing other games with said that they cut it during a podcast, because of how the game just randomly generates quests in Next. I realize that the game does more-or-less randomly generate quests, but I had assumed there would be some structured content as well. As long as I can make structured quest content I'm sold.

Now i'm kind of curious as to how that's going to work, though. Will the procedurally generated quests of Next happen in Landmark as well, with roaming monster populations and whatnot?

Either way, I'm gonna be in on this now that it's opened up to more people and things seem mostly stable.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The NPC AI and quest scripting stuff is going to be based on something called Storybricks. The dudes behind Storybricks had a Kickstarter which failed but attracted the interest of a couple of game studios like SOE. I guess this is supposed to be the general idea of what they want to do in Landmark / EQNext:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3b_3UGc7Es

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Currently streaming!

http://www.twitch.tv/revenfuego

Edit: DONE ... You can watch the vid on my youtube, https://www.youtube.com/bjgeeknation

Also, found an accessory bug (reported it). You still get the benefit from an accessory if you replace it with something else, and they stack. I had +speed +harvest and +discovery going at the same time in my vid.

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 4, 2014

Migertantix
Jul 15, 2003

Gone.

Migertantix fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 5, 2014

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Layonhands posted:

I have 4 closed beta keys up for grabs. PM me if you want one.

You non-pm goon racist! Can I whisper in your ear, instead?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I got an invite out of nowhere for this. I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I'm not very far in. I can see this getting pretty old, fast, but for now it's fairly entertaining.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I dug a hole. Are there any goon clans running besides that chat channel?

I'm rocketship on one of the euro servers.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

There are no reasons to clan yet so to speak

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Been playing for about a week now. Been enjoying it. I love how quickly a large building can come together once you have all the tools and resources you need. I got really lucky with my Cobalt pick. It spawned as a legendary. Damage and spread are around 250, speed at about 170. It's insane how fast it mines compared to other picks.

I've twice relocated my claim, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with where it is. (Determination server, in the Vale. Mine is right next to the portal spire. Tieglitz is my username. Feel free to friend me.) I feel happy with what I've built, but when I look at what some other people have done I feel ashamed at my shoddy craftsmanship.

All in all, this game is just relaxing to play.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Stupid newbie question, but how do I relocate a claim?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Does anyone have a list of materials/tools/etc. that I should put together before making a claim?

Of course I mean to be optimal at harvesting.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

nelson posted:

Stupid newbie question, but how do I relocate a claim?

Go to claim management and delete your claim. This will give you your claim flag and all materials placed in the claim back into your inventory. It will also automatically create a template of the entire claim so you can easily rebuild.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

ModeSix posted:

Does anyone have a list of materials/tools/etc. that I should put together before making a claim?

Of course I mean to be optimal at harvesting.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QkqPHnG1JckUWZanT9Mm8yjanGCIS_kheYae49fuo8o/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

This is a good start.

Things you want for a claim:

A huge stockpile of copper ore (10 days worth, i'd say)
Crafting stations (Stone forge, tinkerers workshop, alchemists table, outfitter in that order)
Decent pick and axe, with a good speed on them
Build tools (at least selection, preferrably line too. Ideally all of them)
Lots of dirt (100k+), stone (50k+) and wood (10k+ total)

Spend a few hours running around with a friend or two in a party gathering materials, since you get a harvest bonus and share bonus whenever you're all in range of eachother, which makes gathering go so much faster.

Make the basic crafting tables and a claim flag at the local spire, and stick them in your inventory at your earliest convenience since the earlier they're crafted the earlier you can worry about stockpiling. Make sure you craft at least the line and selection tools before you start building, otherwise you will go insane while trying to build your stuff.

Quick tip for farming stone that Subutai taught me; Go to a desert biome (the ones with the funky trees), and dig down. Its all rock under the sand, as opposed to being dirt everywhere else.

One last thing, don't discount things like sand and marble for crafting, they end up looking pretty decent and can break up the monotony of STONE EVERYWHERE.

Anyway, hope all that helps.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I'm like, shockingly into this concept. I normally don't like Minecraft and all (Starbound is as close as I can get to that stuff without my eyes rolling back in my head) but the videos and all look really fun.

One thing I don't get though is EQNext and Landmark the same thing? Like, on the site and all EQ Next sounds like an actual MMO with classes and poo poo, is that being added to this when they get them done or is this a separate 'hey people like EQ and Minecraft' thing?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

One thing I don't get though is EQNext and Landmark the same thing?

No. They're two separate things. Landmark is intended primarily for building stuff, and will eventually have a very thin amount of 'game' on top of it. It will also eventually function a bit like a content factory for EQNext -- all the tools they're going to be using internally to build structures, quests, NPCs, and creatures for EQNext will be made available to players of Landmark; and if Landmark players come up with something awesome, SOE might contact them about integrating it into EQNext.

EQNext will be more akin to the typical MMO you're familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Alright cool, the site was kinda divided but not as much as I expected, so good to actually know.

• Locked thread