Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Anti-Catholic Work Ethic.

Anglicans are Catholics, they just pretend they aren't. But one day El Popovich will drink Earl Grey at Cantebury while chanting evilly, Igitur Ecclesiae unius et unicae unum corpus, unum caput, non duo capita quasi monstrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

rscott posted:

fine print is the politically loaded part

e: also mormons are the worst, all yankees or red sox fans

I like how well Tigers, Brewers, and Diamondbacks fans respect state borders. I can only assume if you asked a random person on the street, their response would be: "What's the pro team in our state? I guess I like them best."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kassad posted:

I've seen the argument that India could have started industrializing at around the same time as the UK (the technology was there, at least), but we'll never know since the British started taking over right around that time. That destroyed any chance of an industrial revolution taking place in India since the British focused on extracting raw materials to send to factories in England and then sending back the finished goods to sell in India.

India was also degenerating into an anarchic wartorn hellhole in the first half of the 18th century, which seems like a counterargument except that states competing against each other tend to have a much stronger incentive to adapt to innovative new economic and military techniques than stable empires do.

After Aurangzeb's utter dickery to everyone that wasn't a Sunni Muslim and the total implosion of the Mughal Empire, you had a situation emerge where a tiny rump Mughals and a bunch of nominally-loyal but independent Muslim states opposed the Maratha Confederacy occupying about half of India. This status was cemented by Nader Shah of Persia's 1730s invasion of India and sacking of Delhi, in which he left the Mughal ruler blinded and looted everything of value he could out of Delhi, further turning the Mughals into a joke. This dynamic (growing Maratha power in the heart of India vs a variety of Muslim states surrounding it) was only interrupted by the British conquest of Bengal in the Seven Years War, which was half-accidental. At the time, the East India Company only controlled a few trading posts, after it the French were gone from India and they directly governed one of India's richest regions. After that you end up with a story of another forty years of gobbling up the Indian minors until the East India Company felt able to take on the Marathas and then twenty years of dismembering them until they became the unquestioned sovereigns of India.

The success of the East India Company is one of the great stories of opportunism. They swept up two thirds of India into their direct holdings over the course of a mere sixty years.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kalos posted:

I like how well Tigers, Brewers, and Diamondbacks fans respect state borders. I can only assume if you asked a random person on the street, their response would be: "What's the pro team in our state? I guess I like them best."

I'd like to pretend that Tigers fans in northern Ohio are some leftover of Michigan-ness from the Toledo War rather than Detroit just being closer. Also, that whole Saint Joseph, Benton Harbor area should just go join Chicago if they love it so much :colbert:

I'm not at all surprised at teams in Michigan respecting state borders, at least with Ohio because the Michigan/Ohio sports rivalry extends to pretty much all sports. When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s saying you were a fan of an out-of-state sports team was like flying a Soviet flag outside of your house and being a fan of an Ohio team was even worse.

I'm a bit surprised that Yoopers are Pistons fans over Brewers fans but I suspect that most of them don't give much of a poo poo about the NBA.

Equivalent NFL map, again with that treasonous southwestern corner of the state.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Disco Infiva posted:

Anglicans are Catholics, they just pretend they aren't.
The greatest anti-anythings are often people who deny being that very thing, even if they obviously are.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I love that sharp dividing line between New York and New England in both maps, except for the western part of Connecticut that's basically a suburb of NYC.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

I love that sharp dividing line between New York and New England in both maps, except for the western part of Connecticut that's basically a suburb of NYC.

I remember seeing maps like these a few years ago that showed support for New England teams extending into eastern upstate NY.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

rscott posted:

e: also mormons are the worst, all yankees or red sox fans

Look at Indianapolis and laugh at them. They're never getting their own MLB team so long as the sun burns in the sky.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

rscott posted:

The poor Oakland As. :smith:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Look at Indianapolis and laugh at them. They're never getting their own MLB team so long as the sun burns in the sky.

Good. They wouldn't go to the games anyway.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'd like to pretend that Tigers fans in northern Ohio are some leftover of Michigan-ness from the Toledo War rather than Detroit just being closer. Also, that whole Saint Joseph, Benton Harbor area should just go join Chicago if they love it so much :colbert:

I'm not at all surprised at teams in Michigan respecting state borders, at least with Ohio because the Michigan/Ohio sports rivalry extends to pretty much all sports. When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s saying you were a fan of an out-of-state sports team was like flying a Soviet flag outside of your house and being a fan of an Ohio team was even worse.

I'm a bit surprised that Yoopers are Pistons fans over Brewers fans but I suspect that most of them don't give much of a poo poo about the NBA.

Equivalent NFL map, again with that treasonous southwestern corner of the state.

Green Bay is a lot closer than Milwaukee and the Tigers are historically an older and better franchise than the Brewers, whereas the opposite is the case with the Lions and the Packers. Brewers play baseball though, it's the Bucks that are in the NBA

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If they're gonna put the Blue Jays in the key, they should've included Canada in the map.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought the last version of that baseball map showed the A's having at least Alameda County?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

withak posted:

I thought the last version of that baseball map showed the A's having at least Alameda County?

That might have been before the Giants won a pair of World Series'. At least by the hat count in Berkeley it's about 50/50 Giants/As. In Oakland it's 30/70 Giants/As and I don't really go anywhere else in the county and I'd assume the rest of it skews Giants.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dusseldorf posted:

That might have been before the Giants won a pair of World Series'. At least by the hat count in Berkeley it's about 50/50 Giants/As. In Oakland it's 30/70 Giants/As and I don't really go anywhere else in the county and I'd assume the rest of it skews Giants.

Yeah Alameda might skew a little towards the A's depending on who you ask, but in the end they haven't found much success outside the American League West in the past few decades.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Good. They wouldn't go to the games anyway.

Judging by the Indianapolis Indians turnouts when I went to those games while I lived in Indy, you're probably right.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Emanuel Collective posted:

The Protestant work ethic thing is also bunk because Anglicanism is a lot different from Calvanism and Lutheranism but they all fit under the Protestant tag, ergo, industrialization!

The original thesis involved Calvinism specifically. If I remember correctly, Calvinists believed in preordination, meaning that one's salvation is determined at birth. Your individual actions make no difference. However, they also believed that throughout their lives God would send the 'chosen' certain signs. Material wealth was one of those signs, and as a result early Calvinists became obsessed with accumulating money.

At the same time, they were encouraged to lead austere lifestyles and to eschew ostentation and debauchery. The only real outlet for the money was to re-invest it and to make even more money. You can see how this ties into the development of early capitalism, and it is true that the Netherlands and Scotland played an important role in that regard. Supposedly, these attitudes then spread across the rest of Western Europe.

Do I believe in this theory? I think it could have easily played a role. Generally speaking, it is very hard to disentangle culture and the specific influences of religion. Many of the views and attitudes that people hold are implicitly shaped either by their culture's theological background or by a specific reaction against that background. But as noted by Weber, ideas also spread based on cultural affinities that might not themselves be based on a shared denomination.

All of this means that religious denomination turns into a very weak indicator if you control for other factors. As noted earlier, the correlation does not exist or is reversed within certain culturally homogeneous areas such as Germany or the Low Countries. Based on this, you might be tempted to claim that the dividing line runs between Germanic and Latin Europe, but even that falls apart on closer inspection. Along with Britain, France is basically the birthplace of Western modernity, both in a material and (especially) in a philosophical sense. So it's a bit rich for Scandinavians to look down on them, considering that they themselves were mostly impoverished fishermen on the periphery of Europe until well into the 20th century.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 1, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

College Football.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

College Football.
Chicago is full of Wolverine fans? I'll be damned.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

Facebook sports maps

Is this kind of data somehow publicly available so I could try to make one for my own country?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ofaloaf posted:

It's "politically" loaded in that it's the top 25 so a lot of places are probably something like their 5th or so top supported school. NC isn't full of South Carolina/whichever blue that is/Ohio fans. NC is really UNC/NC State/Duke fans but none of those are represented.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ebola has spread into Liberia from Guinea, and also into Guinea's capital of 2 million people. There have been unconfirmed reports in Sierra Leone as well. Senegal has shut down its border with Guinea entirely. It was originally centered in Nzerekore but was allowed to spread for six weeks before they realized it was Ebola.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Phlegmish posted:

considering that they themselves were mostly impoverished fishermen on the periphery of Europe until well into the 20th century.

True, they never had an important role in European affair-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_intervention_in_the_Thirty_Years%27_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleswig-Holstein_Question

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That still doesn't disprove the whole "on the periphery of Europe" thing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Why do the Raiders have a bunch of counties in SoCal where they are the plurality, but there's nowhere with majority A's outside of (presumably)Oakland itself?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Elyv posted:

Why do the Raiders have a bunch of counties in SoCal where they are the plurality, but there's nowhere with majority A's outside of (presumably)Oakland itself?

The Raiders were in LA from 82 to 94 and LA still doesn't have a home team.

Edit: The Raiders vs. 49ers fandoms also has a socioeconomic distinction to it in the Bay Area even though both teams have had a ton of historical success with the 49ers being the team of the richer San Francisco (and now they are the team of the richer Silicon Valley areas).

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 1, 2014

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

computer parts posted:

That still doesn't disprove the whole "on the periphery of Europe" thing.

Maybe, but Phleghmish's point was pretty absurd, considering Scandinavia was kind of intensely relevant to Western Europe with that whole Vikings thing, and even if you consider the High Middle Ages some sort of a downturn for them, Sweden did turn into a superpower again later.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ras Het posted:

Maybe, but Phleghmish's point was pretty absurd, considering Scandinavia was kind of intensely relevant to Western Europe with that whole Vikings thing, and even if you consider the High Middle Ages some sort of a downturn for them, Sweden did turn into a superpower again later.

If you date it from roughly Gustavus Adolphus to the great Northern war its "Superpower" status lasted barely a century and sucked the country dry. Sure its impressive all things considered but Sweden's star rose and fell very rapidly compared to Russia, France, Britain, Germany etc.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The New York Public Library has made 20,000 high resolution maps available as of a few days ago, there's a lot of neat things to look at here, map nerds.

http://www.nypl.org/blog/2014/03/28/open-access-maps

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

khwarezm posted:

If you date it from roughly Gustavus Adolphus to the great Northern war its "Superpower" status lasted barely a century and sucked the country dry. Sure its impressive all things considered but Sweden's star rose and fell very rapidly compared to Russia, France, Britain, Germany etc.
Sweden also had the major advantage of being funded by the Hansa, and then France, which was obviously a big help during a period where the states were unable to truly exploit the resources of the territory they controlled, and relied on mercenaries to a huge degree. The fact that the territory was also largely unassailable for half the year obviously helped too, and was a major reason why France funded them in the first place, creating a persistent threat on the flank of their European rivals. Which is probably a pretty good argument for it being on the periphery actually, even if not for the "impoverished fishermen" part. Denmark was obviously less on the periphery though, being directly entangled in the mess that was Germany, as well as sitting right on the shipping routes out of the Baltic, which were very important to both the British and the Dutch.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

The Raiders vs. 49ers fandoms also has a socioeconomic distinction to it in the Bay Area even though both teams have had a ton of historical success with the 49ers being the team of the richer San Francisco (and now they are the team of the richer Silicon Valley areas).

I don't know how true that "socioeconomic distinction" really is. Maybe the Raiders attract fewer wealthy fans, seeing as the stereotype is that all raiders fans are working class/poor and/or violent thugs, not to mention the stereotype that SF is all wealthy and Oakland is all poor. Also because the 49ers have a much longer history in the bay area, and have more of a foothold/more fans period because of that...But the Niners have tons of working class/poor fans and violent thug fans themselves (poo poo, Niners gear is pretty much the official uniform of the Norteno gang, and candlestick park is located in one of the poorest and most violent neighborhoods in CA). There was even kind of a big deal made about violent 49ers fans in the national media a couple years back, after a series of extra rowdy niners games that saw tons of fights, and some stabbings and shootings. The 49ers fans involved definitely weren't from the upper class. I think any claim of a "socioeconomic distinction" between raiders and niners fans is based on stereotypes, and is largely nonexistent aside from some snooty suburban and wealthy folks looking down on the Raiders because "ew Oakland" and the bad reputation of the "raider nation" and all that.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Ofaloaf posted:

I can confirm that I know more Michigan fans in Chicago than any other team. Hell, I know more Michigan grads in Chicago than Illinois grads

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

College Football.

What the poo poo is with Wyoming? The only people living in Wyoming who are fans of Oregon or any of those other teams are transplants from other states or because their kid went to that college. Otherwise anyone that's a football fan in Wyoming is a UW fan because that's all we loving have besides our high school football teams.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Star Man posted:

What the poo poo is with Wyoming? The only people living in Wyoming who are fans of Oregon or any of those other teams are transplants from other states or because their kid went to that college. Otherwise anyone that's a football fan in Wyoming is a UW fan because that's all we loving have besides our high school football teams.

Wyoming isn't a top 25 team on that list and as far as I can tell they've never been on an AP poll.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, here's one that supposedly includes all teams, though I'm not sure about how accurate it is. ATM definitely aren't as popular as UT in all of east Texas.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 2, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dusseldorf posted:

Wyoming isn't a top 25 team on that list and as far as I can tell they've never been on an AP poll.

I'm just sayin.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sweden also had the major advantage of being funded by the Hansa, and then France, which was obviously a big help during a period where the states were unable to truly exploit the resources of the territory they controlled, and relied on mercenaries to a huge degree. The fact that the territory was also largely unassailable for half the year obviously helped too, and was a major reason why France funded them in the first place, creating a persistent threat on the flank of their European rivals. Which is probably a pretty good argument for it being on the periphery actually, even if not for the "impoverished fishermen" part. Denmark was obviously less on the periphery though, being directly entangled in the mess that was Germany, as well as sitting right on the shipping routes out of the Baltic, which were very important to both the British and the Dutch.

I dont know about the french support but I'm pretty sure that the Hansa did not fund Sweden except in a few random parts of some conflicts, in general it supported the opposition of whoever they wanted to kick down for the moment, to prevent any of the baltic powers to gain too much influence.
I believe the main funding for Sweden's expansionist wars was the extremely lucrative copper mine in Falun which supplied the majority of the worlds copper at the time, and the conversion to lutheranism as that meant the state could loot the rich catholic churches.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Dusseldorf posted:

They have been ranked before, but not since the '90s.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I refuse to believe that many people in New England actually give a gently caress about Boston College Football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Yeah, here's one that supposedly includes all teams, though I'm not sure about how accurate it is. ATM definitely aren't as popular as UT in all of east Texas.

The State/Michigan divide isn't nearly so neat, and is in fact a struggle that has destroyed families and friendships for generations.