Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Krowley posted:

Mordin's voice is modulated though, isn't it? I don't watch animes or whatever so I don't follow or even recognize these voice actors they typically use but I don't think the guy naturally talks like a frogman.
Counter-point; the voice actor for Garrus literally talks exactly like the character all the time, and he looks nothing like a bipedal dinosaur-birdman. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have not seen any mention of it in this thread, so I thought I'd share this:

quote:

The game will feature five major regions – Fereldan, Orlais, The Free Marches, Nevarra and the Dales. Locations have their own ecosystems and economies, and by disrupting these – by killing bandits and dragons, say, or making certain resources scarce – you can change the environment in various ways. Since enemy levels don’t scale with your own, this might help provide a reason to come back to areas visited previously.

From here: http://games.on.net/2014/03/dragon-age-inquisition-will-have-40-endings/

Some thoughts about the regions:

Nevarra: Visiting the home of the fabled dragon hunters sounds good, and having Cassandra in your party will probably make for all kinds of interesting political machinations, considering that the Nevarran king is old and childless, and his heir is his also childless and only slightly younger brother. Succession crises are some of my favorite crises! (Except if I'm involved in one myself in CK2 of course). The Nevarran mages are also rumored to dabble in necromancy, and the Nevarrans apparently believe the souls of the dead enter the fade and replace a fade spirit. The connection to a tear in the fade might be too obvious, but I bet we learn quite a bit about the overarching threat there.

Free Marches: Discovering how much of Kirkwall is still standing will be nice. Other than that I'm not too interested in the region, it hardly mattered in DA:2 anyway.

Orlais: Biggest empire on Thedas and seat of the Chantry. We will probably get involved in the Templar/Chantry/Circles conflict. I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to that. But Morrigan is supposed to be in Orlais so that could be quite interesting. What scheme did she come up with this time?

Fereldan: A return to where it all started, I'm stoked.

The Dales: Ancient homeland of the elves. With the connection between the Eluvian and Morrigan and the fade, this could be the place to enter it to seal the rift from inside?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Torrannor posted:

Discovering how much of Kirkwall is still standing will be nice.

Considering how hosed it was BEFORE the Fade was spilling out into the world, I can only imagine the state it's in now. But if we have the option of putting that city out of its misery once and for all I doubt anyone will choose not to wipe it off the map.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
While constantly meeting previous characters has been kind of dumb, I like the idea of revisiting cities and areas from the previous games, as long as they're not the primary focus and there's still plenty of new stuff to see.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
This is the first I've ever heard that Mordin was a different VA and noticed no difference in the game when I played it.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

This is the first I've ever heard that Mordin was a different VA and noticed no difference in the game when I played it.

William Salyers (Rigby from Regular Show) did a hell of a job with that one.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

It's very much one of those things where if you didn't hear people (including the original actor) getting mad about it at the time then you wouldn't even have noticed a difference in game.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Hank Morgan posted:

It's very much one of those things where if you didn't hear people (including the original actor) getting mad about it at the time then you wouldn't even have noticed a difference in game.

Wait, the reason for the VA switch I heard was that Michael Beattie had prior commitments and was unable to do ME3.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

VAs I would like to see/hear:

Simon Templeman. He's a superb VA, and sadly have not landed many big gigs recently, so I would the doubly pleased to see him get some headliners (even if DA:I turns out bad, it is going to be a big title). Only drawback would be, that it is really very hard not to hear Kain speaking each time..... come to think of it, maybe that is not a drawback after all.

Grey DeLisle. She is working hard to dethrone Jennifer Hale as my favourite female VA. Not quite there yet, but that is mainly because she does more TV stuff than games.

Xanthe Elbrick: Have only heard her as the female inquisitor i SWTOR, but she made a hell on an impression there.

Courtnee Draper: She did good work in Bioshock Infinite. Would be interested to hear more from her.

And while we are at it, throw Troy Baker in there for good measure.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

This. If nobody had told me I wouldn't have noticed, and I still barely do.

It's the same thing with Kanji's voice actor halfway the Persona 4 Anime. Yeah, the change was a bit noticeable after people pointed it out but that's just because it's difficult to achieve Troy Baker standards of performance for the stand-in dude. He did a great job nonetheless and the change would've gone right over my head if nobody had pointed it out.

Matthew Mercer is a dracula and is stealing Troy Baker's life essences, don't fall for his ploys

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

GhostBoy posted:

Simon Templeman. He's a superb VA, and sadly have not landed many big gigs recently, so I would the doubly pleased to see him get some headliners (even if DA:I turns out bad, it is going to be a big title). Only drawback would be, that it is really very hard not to hear Kain speaking each time..... come to think of it, maybe that is not a drawback after all.

Did you miss the rather large role he played in Origins? And I imagine that being a cast member on a network TV show (The Neighbors) for the past two years probably eats up a good amount of time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think the guy who voiced either Pinky or The Brain would really help set the appropriate tone for a game like this.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Generic American posted:

Counter-point; the voice actor for Garrus literally talks exactly like the character all the time, and he looks nothing like a bipedal dinosaur-birdman. :colbert:

Not hearing it :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa7niDlKw-8&t=1m19s

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z_DFt-lmHk

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I wouldn't trust this guy to water my plants were I on vacation and not try to roll a leaf up and smoke it. He's looking sketchy as gently caress, like a high Woody Harrelson.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

EightDeer posted:

Wait, the reason for the VA switch I heard was that Michael Beattie had prior commitments and was unable to do ME3.

He definitely wanted to do it, but was not brought back for reasons unknown. He encouraged people to support campaigns to bring him back and poo poo, even. Never heard what the story was there.

Relevant to topic, despite that terrible bit of writing about Vivienne a page or so ago, I'm still moderately excited for Inquisition. Dragonfall was a hell of an RPG, Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 are shaping up nicely, and Pillars of Eternity looks amazing, so I'm not chomping at the bit for a stellar RPG. Give me companions with a lot of interaction and the usual stellar BioWare voice acting, and so long as combat is solid and weighty, and the overall story isn't complete poo poo, I'm good. Mass Effect 3 was a mess at times, but I still loved the game, almost entirely because of the companion interaction, and that's kinda why I loved DAO, as well. Give me friends and big poo poo to kill with a big loving budget to make everything pretty.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Also try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_cSxH_JwxY

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Kinda I guess, but there's no way I would've recognized his natural un-edited voice as Garrus if it wasn't pointed out to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

He mostly likely changes his voice slightly for acting roles, a lot of actors and politicians (if we're going to be redundant) do that. Also to perhaps protect himself from being overwhelmed by underwear hurled at him.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

C'mon, goons, I expect better of you. How are neither of those links this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3zz9qNM7I
Tell me more about chicken strips, Garrus. :swoon:

Generic American fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 31, 2014

SAARIAN
Feb 7, 2014

Generic American posted:

C'mon, goons, I expect better of you. How was neither of those links this one?

this is epic my friend.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

DrakePegasus posted:

Considering how hosed it was BEFORE the Fade was spilling out into the world, I can only imagine the state it's in now. But if we have the option of putting that city out of its misery once and for all I doubt anyone will choose not to wipe it off the map.

Calling it now that the fade tear explosion event thing which your inquisitor is the sole survivor of starts in Kirkwall due to the giant blood funnel they never made use of in DA2

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Drifter posted:

I think the guy who voiced either Pinky or The Brain would really help set the appropriate tone for a game like this.

Rob Paulson might be a little busy being a Ninja Turtle again, but I have no idea how you can book Maurice LaMarche when he's loving everything these days. A surprising amount of bit voice work in Adventure Time, Doc Doom in all the ancillary Marvel Disney cartoons, and who knows what else in Simpsons for just 2014.

VVV: I would pre-order this game for a guaranteed plot opening that allowed me to watch Kirkwall be ground zero of the fade rip. Give me a satisfying destruction of that vile city and I don't care how much of a let down being an Inquisitor is.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 31, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DotyManX posted:

Calling it now that the fade tear explosion event thing which your inquisitor is the sole survivor of starts in Kirkwall due to the giant blood funnel they never made use of in DA2

That could be pretty cool. You're marching in there as part of the Exalted March that got called down because of DA2's shenanigans, and then the whole city blows up. Because gently caress that city.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Lotish posted:

That could be pretty cool. You're marching in there as part of the Exalted March that got called down because of DA2's shenanigans, and then the whole city blows up. Because gently caress that city.

I'll be pretty disappointed if that isn't the case; it would be a great apology to DA fans to just level that loving place in the first 5 minutes.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Generic American posted:

C'mon, goons, I expect better of you. How are neither of those links this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2CwIfTuoA

Not the Bud Light commercial? For shame.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

GhostBoy posted:

Grey DeLisle. She is working hard to dethrone Jennifer Hale as my favourite female VA. Not quite there yet, but that is mainly because she does more TV stuff than games.
I can never help but hear her as Nalia.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Personally I'd like to see Jo Wyatt and Camilla Luddington in it.
The voices of female Hawke and Lara in the Tomb Raider reboot respectively.

Comedy option, just have Jennifer Hale and Steve Blum voice literally everyone.

SAARIAN
Feb 7, 2014

Bogwitt posted:

I'll be pretty disappointed if that isn't the case; it would be a great apology to DA fans to just level that loving place in the first 5 minutes.

I have had just about enough of that city. I don't want to see it just leveled, I want to see the Fade T-bag it a few times before it does get wiped. only then will I be content

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Would really enjoy Hawke's DA:I involvement to be him or her as the new viscount of Kirkwall, only it's somehow even worse. Fitting for the character.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Would really enjoy Hawke's DA:I involvement to be him or her as the new viscount of Kirkwall, only it's somehow even worse. Fitting for the character.

Only as long as there's that NPC standing in the same place complaining about how long he's been waiting to see the viscount, even well past the point where there was no viscount to be seen.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

MildShow posted:

Did you miss the rather large role he played in Origins? And I imagine that being a cast member on a network TV show (The Neighbors) for the past two years probably eats up a good amount of time.
No, hence the "not many" rather than "not any". Plus Origins is a while back now. I know he's had some minor roles in SWTOR, D3 etc. Not saying the dude is out of work, just that I would like to see a game with him voicing the protagonist again.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Leelee posted:

Question:

Who would you all like to see as voice actors/actresses in the next game? Any favorites?

I loved Simon Templeman and I love Jennifer Hale. It would be awesome to hear them in the next game.

After Jennifer Hale's performance in Diablo 3 she can just stick to Mass Effect because holy poo poo it was bad.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

SAARIAN posted:

I have had just about enough of that city. I don't want to see it just leveled, I want to see the Fade T-bag it a few times before it does get wiped. only then will I be content

Yes, yes! We must see the nameless, faceless NPCs suffer before their ultimate destruction... only then will our revenge upon DA2 be complete! Mwahahetc

Leelee posted:

I loved Simon Templeman and I love Jennifer Hale. It would be awesome to hear them in the next game.

These two are some of my favourite voice actors - without Templeman, I'm not sure I'd ever be as sympathetic towards Loghain as I am and Hale was of course exceptional in Mass Effect but the problem is that their voices are so distinct. Hale pops up in lots of games and whilst that's great for her, every time I hear her in a different game my immersion (yes, yes my immersion!, I know) is broken a little bit because instead of talking to a new character, I'm talking to Jennifer Hale. The same is true with Templeman; when I came across his small roles in SWTOR, instead of engaging with his characters I immediately thought: is that Simon Templeman? Cool!

As much as I enjoyed their work, and as cheesy and awful as this is to type, what I really want to see is new, interesting voices that are unrecognisable to me. Though of course, I'd love for Loghain to turn up in Orlais as a Grey Warden, being snooty about the frenchies.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bogwitt posted:

Though of course, I'd love for Loghain to turn up in Orlais as a Grey Warden, being snooty about the frenchies.
If you imported a save into Awakening where Loghain's a Grey Warden, he'll appear at Vigil Keep and say Grey Warden HQ ordered him to Orlais. So I reckon there's a pretty good chance he'll show up.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 1, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm really tired of Jennifer Hale, after playing SWTOR. I'm not sure if she just doesn't try to have a range or if she legitimately lacks one, but every Jennifer Hale voice in that game is the same one. Even her Bastilla Shan cameo voice that shows up for 3 lines sounds more like Commander shepard than Bastilla.

Hell, David Hayter sounded more distinct and different compared to his other roles, and people claim he's a bad VA.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's not a bad voice actor at all. His Snake voice isn't his voice at all, he's acting. His Old Snake voice was weird, which is probably where the backlash comes from and it's part people trying to defend the sleep walking Keifer Sutherland voicing Big Boss now in the upcoming game. But yeah, Hale is a bit over-used and they don't really direct her to use a lot of range for the character she voices. That Jedi master lady is basically Bastilla 2.0 and from what I understand she doesn't have any real traits other than "completely perfect", which makes her infinitely less interesting as a character.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oh yeah, Hayter is a really good VA in my opinion. He has a good range, he just got a lot of backlash for that old snake stuff that makes no sense.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm really tired of Jennifer Hale, after playing SWTOR. I'm not sure if she just doesn't try to have a range or if she legitimately lacks one, but every Jennifer Hale voice in that game is the same one. Even her Bastilla Shan cameo voice that shows up for 3 lines sounds more like Commander shepard than Bastilla.

Hell, David Hayter sounded more distinct and different compared to his other roles, and people claim he's a bad VA.
Yeah, I've never really understood the love that the majority of posters in this board has for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If your voice acting is so stale and similar between games and characters that I can go 'oh that's *voice actor*' then that's kinda bad. I mean when I found out one of the Jedi was David Hayter, I was like 'woah, really? Never would have guessed that!'

Edit: Grey DeLisle was the female bounty hunter voice apparently, I didn't know that. I liked that VA, so I approve of her being in DAI as requested earlier.

Also Jo Wyatt, voice of FemHawke and FemAgent is pretty good, bring her back as something other than Hawke.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 1, 2014

• Locked thread