Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has crunchyroll ever pulled an april fools like this before? I'd imagine that they wouldn't want to because anime fans really are stupid enough to get angry about this kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Has crunchyroll ever pulled an april fools like this before? I'd imagine that they wouldn't want to because anime fans really are stupid enough to get angry about this kind of thing.

If by "stupid" you mean "perfectly reasonable."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If by "stupid" you mean "perfectly reasonable."

Yeah, honestly it would be pretty reasonable to be upset.

Like a blatantly fake product like Google likes to announce on April 1 is one thing. Just kinda lying and saying you'll have something streaming that you won't isn't a funny April Fool's joke.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I meant stupid enough to really angry over this kind of thing.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Personally I like to laugh at people getting legit angry at dumb things, so I appreciate the joke.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So no entry for jojo on lineup page and the Jojo page they link to 404s, while something they announced afterwards is. The other show they announced today also has an ep today so maybe they had to get that up fast, we'll see.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They did say details later, but yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. The threats of quitting crunchyroll forever in that thread if this is a joke are worth it, though. :allears:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I'm actually kind of hoping it's not true. Since they will probably use the wonky ASB names.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Your way works too posted:

I'm actually kind of hoping it's not true. Since they will probably use the wonky ASB names.

Ugh, I hadn't thought of that. I've been pushing a friend to watch the first season, but I think they are either loath to wade into :filez: or consider it too much of a hassle or some combination thereof. Crunchyroll would somewhat improve my chances, but if they're going to change all of the names and rip Roundabout from the credits because Copyrights then ugh.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Your way works too posted:

Not necessarily. Crunchyroll has Digimon subbed and they don't change any of the names to the localized versions.
Were there even any name changes to the first two parts, though? San Tan for Santana is the only one I can think of.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The official subs for part 1 and 2 change every single instance of Suzie Q to the full Suzie Quatro, and give the Pillarmen names that actually look like names - Esidisi, Wamuu, and Kars instead of the ACDC, Wham! and Cars that some people seem to like, still. That's the full extent of it.

The Suzie Quatro thing doesn't even make sense, that's just her namesake's name.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also it uses Hamon over Ripple and fuuuuuuck thaaaaaaat

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eh, if a few minor changes are the cost of being able to watch the show legally, I think it is worth it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pomp posted:

The official subs for part 1 and 2 change every single instance of Suzie Q to the full Suzie Quatro, and give the Pillarmen names that actually look like names - Esidisi, Wamuu, and Kars instead of the ACDC, Wham! and Cars that some people seem to like, still. That's the full extent of it.

The Suzie Quatro thing doesn't even make sense, that's just her namesake's name.

Her full name actually is Suzie Quatro officially and has been since she was introduced. I think it says it in the beginning of the volumes where it shows the Joestar family tree. The pillar men names are that way in the original, too. Wham and ACDC aren't even spelled the same way in Japanese. エシディシ&ワムウ instead of エーシーディーシー&ワム
But yeah, hamon is dumb.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 1, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Her full name actually is Suzie Quatro officially and has been since she was introduced. I think it says it in the beginning of the volumes where it shows the Joestar family tree. The pillar men names are that way in the original, too. Wham and ACDC aren't even spelled the same way in Japanese. エシディシ&ワムウ instead of エーシーディーシー&ワム
But yeah, hamon is dumb.

Yeah, I knew that, what I mean is they'll say Suzie Q, but the subs say Suzie Quatro every single time.

I came into it with the official subs, and I think ripple is the dumb name. :shrug:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I thought I've been keeping up with ASB but I guess not, what are the extent of the name changes in the upcoming release?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HellCopter posted:

I thought I've been keeping up with ASB but I guess not, what are the extent of the name changes in the upcoming release?

Sticky Fingers is now Zipper Man.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

Sticky Fingers is now Zipper Man.

A pretty pro change honestly.

Watch out it's Zipper Man!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I can't wait for Crunchyroll to simulcast this in the US and not in the UK, so I can get totally lost as everyone else in the thread calls characters by different names than the fansubbers use :suicide:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I don't think you have to worry about anyone in this thread using Eiffel instead of Polnareff.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Schubalts posted:

I don't think you have to worry about anyone in this thread using Eiffel instead of Polnareff.

I thought this was a joke !!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

Just you wait until the people who will be introduced to part3 via the anime start posting. It is gonna be great. Polnareff? WTF, Eiffel sounds so much better.

He will always be Benimaru in my heart.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If this soundtrack is only half as good as Part 2s, I'll be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3tkaVcYgPA

edit:I meant to post the jamless version :sweatdrop:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 2, 2014

bondster
May 6, 2007

It may be legit that Crunchyroll picked up the streaming rights, as ANN is reporting the story now as well

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pomp posted:

They did say details later, but yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. The threats of quitting crunchyroll forever in that thread if this is a joke are worth it, though. :allears:
Well I'd stop my sub if it's a joke if only because nothing is taking my intrest out of the announced shows.

bondster posted:

It may be legit that Crunchyroll picked up the streaming rights, as ANN is reporting the story now as well

ANN report a lot of things up to and including being compliant in a Rickrolling (in 2013) from Rightstuff about Sailor Moon DVDs and Blu Rays (because why not piss off a fandom that's been beaten into a raging fit for over ten years? Yeah that's not going to make you look like tits more than your CEO who is as Art Hawk as they come) so they could just be perpetuating the myth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pomp posted:

If this soundtrack is only half as good as Part 2s, I'll be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3tkaVcYgPA

It's not quite the same without the Quad City DJ's slammin' and jammin' in the background.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Get ready for offical vs. fansub wars, because Crunchy Roll did in fact pick up Jojo.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/jojos-bizarre-adventure

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Also, they are in fact streaming Stardust Crusaders along with cataloging parts 1 and 2 http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-844535/update-new-spring-titles-majin-bone-and-jojos-bizarre-adventure

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Added to the OP and thank loving god, now I don't have to wait half a week for good subs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Added to the OP and thank loving god, now I don't have to wait half a week for good subs.

Watch it be delayed every week due to translator timezone issues.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How does crunchyroll work? I know it's a pay service and I know I'm way too poor to consider paying for an account so are there any other legal alternatives to viewing JoJo? I guess that crunchyroll providing an official way to view jojo means no torrent links to the episodes so I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

edit: got a message from someone who thought I was asking for how to pirate jojo stuff. Just wanna make it clear that that wasn't what I was asking, I was just wondering if there was any other legal way to watch the new jojo outside of crunchyroll because I thought crunchyroll was only available if you paid. I didn't know about them making episodes free after a week so thanks to those who answered my question and sorry zorak if someone reported this thinking I was trying to ask for torrents.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 2, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

How does crunchyroll work? I know it's a pay service and I know I'm way too poor to consider paying for an account so are there any other legal alternatives to viewing JoJo? I guess that crunchyroll providing an official way to view jojo means no torrent links to the episodes so I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

Crunchyroll generally makes each episode available for free a week after it airs.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think all you pay for with Crunchy is higher resolutions.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Subscribers for anime get access to new episodes immediately and can stream in up to 1080p. People without a subscription have to wait a week and can only watch their SD streams. I'm pretty sure the free streams are ad-supported as well.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Would fansubs be an off limits discussion since it sort of implies pirating?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As far as proliferation and the like is concerned, yes.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Pomp posted:

I think all you pay for with Crunchy is higher resolutions.

Also ads play at certain points in the video I think

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Crunchyroll generally makes each episode available for free a week after it airs.

What about the 2012 series? Would it be available all at once for subscribers? One episode a week to milk it longer? Or one episode a week for non-subscribers?

Also will the Crunchyroll version keep Roundabout, this is the Most Important Question. If they rip it out like Katyusha, then that is just totally bogus.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pomp posted:

Would fansubs be an off limits discussion since it sort of implies pirating?

The history I've seen with that stuff in other threads seems to denote that if you actively talk about watching fansubs (especially before it's out on Crunchyroll) then that is a no-no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zogundar posted:

What about the 2012 series? Would it be available all at once for subscribers? One episode a week to milk it longer? Or one episode a week for non-subscribers?

Also will the Crunchyroll version keep Roundabout, this is the Most Important Question. If they rip it out like Katyusha, then that is just totally bogus.

As far as I understand it Roundabout was allowed because WMI had a stake in the series, and since WMI and Atlantic are both satellites of Warner Music Group I don't see why they wouldn't be able to still use it since it should have been part of the licensing.

• Locked thread