Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
This would be for journaling purposes, and while nice, I don't think a legal pad would lend itself well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

powderific posted:

I think Rhodia and Clairefontaine are actually the same paper maybe?

They are and then they aren't. Clairefontaine actually owns Rhodia and makes the paper for the latter's notebooks. Rhodia pads are typically 80gsm except for some of their lines. Clairefontaine is 90gsm and also tends to have a smoother finish.

If you want even heavier paper in a notebook style, the only other reasonable mass-produced option is Kokuyo's CYO-BO paper at a whopping 120gsm. They also make a very nice 90gsm MIO paper that comes in notebooks.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Would it be more economical to just print some lines in Word and use printer paper?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You'd probably lose money on the ink if you were using a home printer and it doesn't come in notebooks :v:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I've found that printer paper is really inconsistent in how well it handles fountain pen inks, even within the same package.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I've found that printer paper is really inconsistent in how well it handles fountain pen inks, even within the same package.

Are you sure you're using it the right way up? No, seriously, a lot of printer paper has one side that's intended to be the primary printing side and handles ink better than the other side.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
You guys, seriously, you guys.
This pen is amazing. Really cheap, too! You can get the whole kit for like 30$.

Kaweco Sport Classic

Black

Checkerboard pattern

Broad nib (B)

Golden clip (bought separately)

This pen has got everything going against it from my perspective: light weight, plastic body and you're meant to write posted (with the cap stuck on the rear end part of the pen). I bought it though, despite all that, and I really really like it. Like, for serious.
It writes smoothly. The nib has wonderful flow- juicy. It feels really good to hold. I love the looks of it both closed and posted. The details are exquisite. The clip, the stud on the cap.

This pen seriously owns bones and possibly cool beans as well.

EDIT:
Also comes in a model with aluminum CNC body called AL sport.
gently caress my wallet.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 31, 2014

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Hellbeard posted:

Kaweco Sport Classic

The body shape looks really awkward to hold.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Kiran posted:

The body shape looks really awkward to hold.

It's actually super comfortable.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Now I want a kaweco with a nib too :(

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Every notebook I own is from Clairefontaine.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now I want a kaweco with a nib too :(

Good. Good.

Seriously, though, I think it's really great and affordable. Goes right up there among the top high-entry level pens in terms of functionality, feel and looks.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Hellbeard posted:

Seriously, though, I think it's really great and affordable. Goes right up there among the top high-entry level pens in terms of functionality, feel and looks.

Yeah - I have no issues with my Kaweco sport ice. Since it is so small when capped up (and plastic) I keep it in my pocket. The threads on feed portion are super fine, meaning that a little grease and it's ready for eyedropper land, no need for an o-ring.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
That Kaweco sport looks cheap as hell. Do you have to re-grease the threads each time you fill it up?

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

Every notebook I own is from Clairefontaine.

Every notebook I use is Clairefontaine, I bought a Rhodia reverse book but the paper really isn't nearly as smooth feeling. My FP's glide over Clairefontaine paper.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Kiran posted:

Every notebook I use is Clairefontaine, I bought a Rhodia reverse book but the paper really isn't nearly as smooth feeling. My FP's glide over Clairefontaine paper.

I love my Rhodia paper because it's super smooth and silky. I can't imagine the writing experience of SMOOTHER, so I have not yet tried Clairefontaine. Brian Goulet does a nice video about them: http://www.gouletpens.com/Articles.asp?ID=393

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I was wandering around in Nagoya yesterday when a little shop caught my eye:

Pen-Land Cafe!

Of course I had to check it out!

It's a pen shop up front with a pen themed cafe in the back.

The owner is really nice and let me try some awesome vintage flex pens. He also has some custom Sailor Jentle inks that were made just for his store. A green that he says matches the discontinued Mont Blanc "British Racing Green", a bright blue that reminds me of "Kon-peki" and one that I bought called "Utsurigi" that writes black but dries with sepia shading. I can't wait to try it out! Definitely worth a visit if you happen to be around that part of the world. http://www.pen-land.jp/index.html

(The Tapioca Mango Milk tea was awesome too)

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 2, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'll be more excited when I visit Pen Island.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Is everything in Japan also a cafe?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
That or an underwear dispensary.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

PRADA SLUT posted:

Please come to Japen!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

RustedChrome posted:

I was wandering around in Nagoya yesterday when a little shop caught my eye

Ahhhh! Nagoya! I lived near Nagoya for a year 2000-2001. Is that place near Sakae?

I wish there was a pen cafe near where I live, so I could get coffee and buy pens?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It's in the Osu shopping district, Naka Ward. I want one near my house too.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

It's in the Osu shopping district, Naka Ward. I want one near my house too.

I've lived in Aichi coming on two years now and had no idea this was there. I'll make a trip down sometime this month.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

PRADA SLUT posted:

I see what you did there.

To contribute, I've found that an inexpensive composition like notebook made by a company called Poppin has 80g paper. There is no bleedthrough and only minor ghosting, and that's if you really press hard with your fountain pens.

Edit: Is that Kaweco Sport comfy in the hand? Even posted, isn't it too short? I have a clear one in my Goulet shopping cart for payday, but I don't want to buy it if I won't use it because it's too small, like a Lamy C1.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 2, 2014

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

RustedChrome posted:

The owner is really nice and let me try some awesome vintage flex pens. He also has some custom Sailor Jentle inks that were made just for his store. A green that he says matches the discontinued Mont Blanc "British Racing Green", a bright blue that reminds me of "Kon-peki" and one that I bought called "Utsurigi" that writes black but dries with sepia shading. I can't wait to try it out! Definitely worth a visit if you happen to be around that part of the world. http://www.pen-land.jp/index.html

Ohhh I'd be interested in the green and sepia ink if anyone makes a visit :swoon:

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Joe Videogames posted:

To contribute, I've found that an inexpensive composition like notebook made by a company called Poppin has 80g paper. There is no bleedthrough and only minor ghosting, and that's if you really press hard with your fountain pens.

Composition notebooks are the bane of my existence, but cheap, well made paper gives me life. I'm so torn.

Speaking of notebooks, does anyone know of a FP friendly notebook collection like Field Notes? I've always wanted to buy/collect them, but I'm too snobby for ballpoints now.

Kiran fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 3, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Kiran posted:

Composition notebooks are the bane of my existence, but cheap, well made paper gives me life. I'm so torn.

Speaking of notebooks, does anyone know of a FP friendly notebook collection like Field Notes? I've always wanted to buy/collect them, but I'm too snobby for ballpoints now.

That's what I'm saying. The Poppin brand composition notebooks have sturdy 80gm paper just like CF or Rhodia notebooks, at 1/3 the price! If you can get over the fact it's a composition notebook, the paper is FP friendly.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Would you guys recommend using a syringe with a converter? I'm tired of getting ink all over the place when I refill my pen but I think I've only seen syringes being used with cartridges.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Xun posted:

Would you guys recommend using a syringe with a converter? I'm tired of getting ink all over the place when I refill my pen but I think I've only seen syringes being used with cartridges.

Bro you can just take your converter out of your pen and dip that into your bottle of ink. Less messy!

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Xun posted:

It might depend on the specific converter, but in general I'd say yes. That's my preferred method with my Pilot Metro and Con-50.

Thelonious Monk posted:

Bro you can just take your converter out of your pen and dip that into your bottle of ink. Less messy!

The reason I don't do that is because I can't get the converter into some of my bottles without inking my fingers up.
Plus, a syringe is even less mess, on the converter at least. Still gotta clean the syringe.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Xun posted:

Yes. I do this with some squeeze converters because it's less of a pain to fill them that way, but there's no reason it couldn't work with any other detachable converter. Just remember it's going to take a minute for the feed to saturate if you cleaned it out before filling. I've even done this to fill my TWSBI 540 from a sample vial.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nebraska Tim posted:

The reason I don't do that is because I can't get the converter into some of my bottles without inking my fingers up.

Gloves, man. Gloves.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Gloves, man. Gloves.

Never! :black101:

But seriously, I've never even considered using gloves, despite owning boxes of them for other things. I don't think I'll start, since using the syringe makes me feel like a mad scientist.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nebraska Tim posted:

Never! :black101:

But seriously, I've never even considered using gloves, despite owning boxes of them for other things. I don't think I'll start, since using the syringe makes me feel like a mad scientist.

Wouldn't using the gloves and the syringe together make you feel like more of a mad scientist? :science:

I get ink on my fingers no matter what. It seems like there's always a little bit of ink on the bottom of the nib of my Pilot Metro, and that's where my fingers rest when I'm writing with it.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'd like to try an italic nib for maximum shading. How can I do this cheaply? I have a pilot 78g and a lamy safari.

teraflame fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 5, 2014

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Solumin posted:

Wouldn't using the gloves and the syringe together make you feel like more of a mad scientist? :science:
Sweet Jesus, you're absolutely right!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

teraflame posted:

I'd like to try a stub nib for maximum shading. How can I do this cheaply? I have a pilot 78g and a lamy safari.

Lamy offers stub nibs that will fit on the Safari.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

teraflame posted:

I'd like to try an italic nib for maximum shading. How can I do this cheaply? I have a pilot 78g and a lamy safari.

The 78g "broad" is really an italic—or, rather, a fairly broad stub. I've got one right here, it has a really nice line variation. A new 78g from isellpens is probably cheaper than a new Lamy stub nib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

teraflame posted:

Pilot Plumix? I enjoy mine; it has a wide sweet spot and looks gorgeous loaded with Noodler's Apache Sunset.