Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

tater_salad posted:

I can't believe the drat things ran for 10k hrs and 8 years on original fluid.. that's really drat good.

Well, i donīt know if i believe it either, even tho it has a big reservoar and large tolerances "diesel lol" and with out any records on the site i was not able to prove that it has. what was obvious is that the last oil change/maintenance was a long time a go. lot of coked up oil everywhere, but very little...oil

the engine is done, thats for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They probably at least topped it off for a couple of years before they stopped caring. With a leaky enough engine and frequent enough topoffs you can get away with a lot of missed oil changes... the old engine in my truck leaked so bad that I was effectively changing ~97% of the oil every 1500 miles just by topping it off as necessary. The filter made it to 30k miles before it started affecting oil pressure.

(I just didn't care anymore. I had a spare engine or two sitting around and a spare vehicle, and the oil was so drat clean every time I checked it that I never bothered to change the filter from 207k to roughly 240k miles. At that point the pressure started dropping so I threw a new one on and kept going.)

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
the good thing about big diesels is that they have a tendency to survive almost everything, give them some compression and some fuel and they are happy.
only shame is that people seem to things that planned maintenance is nothing to worry about.

had a foreman on a tunelling site complaining that "after we removed the filters to prevent clogging the motherfucker died"

business is booming for the shop tho

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tater_salad posted:

I can't believe the drat things ran for 10k hrs and 8 years on original fluid.. that's really drat good.

Exactly. Not surprised they died, but poo poo, I bet they're buying Cats again. :catstare:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

fjelltorsk posted:

the engine oil is original...."

:froggonk:

(Original) Content:

That poor Pontiac. :ohdear:

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

tater_salad posted:

What I want to see is the results from an oil analysis. Even if they topped it up over time they should be pretty amusing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wifemobile stopped moving, got upset phone call. Attend snowy gravel parking lot and hunt around at parts stores (rare pads!) for eight hours to replace these:

With these:

One corner was down to the backing plate, and the inside pad had eaten through the squealer with it lifting from the backing pad on one side. The other corner had some meat, but not much. The piston really didn't want to go in - had to make a trip to fetch a gently caress-off C-clamp when the spinny tool could no longer put sufficient pressure on the piston on its own.

In defense of my incompetent maintenance I had noticed that wheel was making a lot more brake dust than normal, and had pads and rotors on order from RockAuto... they arrive today.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Off topic, how are you liking that Sculpt Ergonomic? I'm a zealous fan of the old MS 4k Ergonomic but have been eyeing the Sculpt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Like my old 4K, the space bar squeaks like crazy. The drivers are bad (resets my mouse wheel scrolling setting on reboot, until I reopen the Mouse & Keyboard Centre control panel).

Battery life is amazing.. and everything feels pretty well built. Very Apple-ish. I'd buy another.

The only real problem is that the F-keys feel tiny and lovely.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wifemobile stopped moving, got upset phone call. Attend snowy gravel parking lot and hunt around at parts stores (rare pads!) for eight hours to replace these:

Pad #1 is new, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Crotch Fruit posted:

Pad #1 is new, right?

No, maybe like 10%. Both it and the one on the far right are facing up. The ones on the left are from the passenger side and the ones on the right are from the drivers' side.

The inside pad of the left rear is so worn that even the squealer has heat damage and the backing plate has chunks of the rotor melted onto it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 2, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those look just like the rear pads I pulled off the Forester last weekend. I couldn't believe they were already down to the metal, as I had replaced them only a year ago and it's had maybe 20k miles put on it since then. I blame lovely Autozone pads and partially frozen calipers. Replaced everything with Stoptech and Centric stuff, shouldn't happen again anytime soon.

edit: yeah, a brake job while wearing tan khakis. Call the cops, I don't give a gently caress.

edit 2: Found another picture while looking for those. This is more of a mechanical success, but it could have royally hosed me if things had gone differently. I was driving down a country road at midnight a few weeks back, came around a blind curve and there was a gently caress-off big rock smack in front of me, no time to evade, barely enough time to think "gently caress!". Immediately after the impact, I killed the engine and pulled over, fearing I would find a waterfall of oil or worse.

That dent is a good 3/4" of an inch deep. :stare: Toyota makes a hell of an oil pan. And engine mounts.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, make sure that poo poo didn't break the oil pickup.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, make sure that poo poo didn't break the oil pickup.

gently caress, why the hell didn't I think to do that while changing the oil the other day, when that picture was taken. :doh:

It's been over a month since that happened, and I drive it 70 miles a day on average. I haven't noticed any problems yet or ominous noises, but it's only got a dummy light so who the gently caress knows what the actual pressure is.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress, why the hell didn't I think to do that while changing the oil the other day, when that picture was taken. :doh:

It's been over a month since that happened, and I drive it 70 miles a day on average. I haven't noticed any problems yet or ominous noises, but it's only got a dummy light so who the gently caress knows what the actual pressure is.

Sounds like the pickup is throughly tested.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Ask kastein how much oil pressure you actually need to make a Jeep 4.0 run. I bet a Toyota is just as durable. :)

It's probably fine, I'd be more worried the pickup is partially covered by the oil pan instead of broken.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Kinda makes me wonder, the oil pan on my 4.0 is caved in at least that much and I hadn't even thought about whether or not it was going to block the pickup.

Shrug, I got another where that one came from. I keep a running spare on hand at all times for a reason.

And my back porch looks like an inline-6 graveyard right now... there's a pair of junk 4.0 blocks and the 4.2 I just tore down tonight. I need to start making and selling coffee tables.

(none catastrophically failed, though one was close. The 4.2 had some pretty hosed bearings in it.)

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

McSpatula posted:

Pretty tame, but a contribution to the pile. Here's an RPF1 and tire destroyed by the mean streets of Compton.

I think this would be considered more of a "User Error" as opposed to a Mechanical Failure". But don't feel bad, I just did this to a brand new $700 Dayton (Rubbed the inside of the wheel well, Problem has been resolved for clearance, but the damage is done):

You can barely see, but the chrome is hosed all the way around the lip, you can even see the wash mitt fuzzies stuck in the rough chrome from washing the car. Guess that's gonna be my spare now...

Edit (Found a better pic):

Budget Monty fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 3, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

And my back porch looks like an inline-6 graveyard right now... there's a pair of junk 4.0 blocks and the 4.2 I just tore down tonight. I need to start making and selling coffee tables.

melt down the old engines and cast a single large Engine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

atomicthumbs posted:

melt down the old engines and cast a single large Engine.

Jeep 42 liter? I can dig it.

Alternately, frankenstein 2 blocks together, get a custom crank and have yourself an 8.0 V12.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just get some gears and make a U12. :getin:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
At least he could build a hella awesome generator if he can't shoehorn such a beast into the 5ton.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
A 8 liter u12 with the 4.2 powering a turbo super charger.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

None of these donor motors are rebuildable without a ton of work. They are literally only good for furniture construction, which is what they will be used for.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Kill-9 posted:

So the tool recommendation that started the Harbor Freight tools discussion held up for the job it was needed for. Thanks for the pointer, LloydDobler! It lifted the engine 3 inches, just enough for the oil pan to clear the crossmember. Now it'll go in the corner of the garage to rust for years. Like any HF tool does.

Crank and such look pretty good for a 53 year old engine. We filtered the oil and found no metal. I looked at everything I could see and found no evidence of damage from the seized oil pump. It was seized hard. I understand why it twisted the pump drive shaft like it did. Installed a new high flow oil pump in preparation for later upgrades. The Bird is back together and driving like a dream.

Glad to help man, I never knew about those support bars until recently. They're a staple of the FWD world where you hang the motor to change the tranny, or any other job where the subframe needs to come down like a steering rack or even control arms on some models. I used it on my RWD Volvo also to hang the motor while I dropped the entire front crossmember out for a suspension rebuild too. Very useful tool for the money.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

None of these donor motors are rebuildable without a ton of work. They are literally only good for furniture construction, which is what they will be used for.

With enough blocks you could build that workshop you wanted so much! :haw:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Backstory: So a machine came in today, customer said it was "broken into." When our driver went to pick it up he said it wouldn't turn over, so he boosted it. It then threw a low oil pressure code, made a noise like nails on a chalkboard, and then shutdown automatically. He called a tow truck driver with a winch, who ignored instructions to not start it and drove the thing onto his flatbed. Awesome. The work order I was given said that the machine was "broken into and now will not start."

No evidence of it being broken into, but that oil warning is concerning. Let's look at the oil filter...

There should be way more oil in there, I think. Not off to a good start. Apparently there have been one or two issues in the past with the oil pickup tube snapping off in these engines. No problem, we'll just see what the service manual says about pulling off the oil pan...

Step 1: remove engine and pump set from loader.

There is your problem.

The remains of the flange it was attached to.

#1 conrod and bearing.

Incidentally I pulled the code history. The machine is designed to shut down after 30 seconds of no oil pressure, and logs it each time. The owner ran it to shutdown twelve times, more than likely at full throttle, before getting it to us.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
So this is in my shop right now, I might need to get some holy water.

https://youtu.be/uJ7suQSwxeI

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
I think thats the same sound the pinball machines made in maximum overdrive.......run!

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Wow, the related videos to one titled 'Demonic Possession' really brings out the best from the Scammers of the Cloth.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I had a co-worker years ago that had a white 90's Celica GT-Four that started doing thing same thing one night in the parking lot at work. He said he had an interesting drive home since the stereo could not be turned off.

That same guy had bought the car in Colorado but never registered it in Texas because he didn't want to pay taxes on it. So his solution was to drive down to the courthouse every month and pay $30 for temporary tag... For NINE loving years. He ended up paying more for the temp tags than he would have just paying the 6% sales tax on autos. When he decided to sell he had to find a mechanic that would put a mechanics lien on the car so it could finally be titled.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/consumer/recalls&id=9492896

Mazda6 + Spiders recall. Seems amusing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Land rover popped.

And the thing what popped it

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Powershift posted:

Land rover popped.

And the thing what popped it

Eh, it's in Russia. They'll have that rebuilt in like what? A week?
Also, Remember to secure your high pressure canisters kids.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At least it was just an inert gas from the looks of it, things could be a whole lot worse.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Fucknag posted:

At least it was just an inert gas from the looks of it, things could be a whole lot worse.
A whole lot worse, indeed.

Quoting myself from the Trucker Thread:

nmfree posted:

Some of the other news footage showed the "heavy equipment" to be a forklift.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fucknag posted:

Acetylene just wants to be your friend!

Also, DPD took a long time to actually shut down the highways (over an hour, IIRC).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fucknag posted:

quote:

So my time almost came to an end this morning... I'm very lucky to be alive.

I had an acetylene bottle in my truck , the valve was bumped so slightly and over night the truck filled with the gas. I noticed the smell , and opened the doors to air out the truck. I drove the truck out of the garage to get some more air movement.

I went to roll the pass side window down and as soon as I touched the power windows. BAM - with me in the truck.

I lost all hearing out of my right ear and got a scratch on the back of my head. All things considering , I'm alive.

Putting aside the stupidity of this individual, what would you do if you had a leaky gas bottle in your vehicle and realised when you entered your garage?

I am not sure I can even open the boot without something electrical that might cause a spark. Open the doors with a key and hope? Not touch the car and leave the garage doors open until the smell goes away (could be a long time if is a small leak)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

spog posted:

Putting aside the stupidity of this individual, what would you do if you had a leaky gas bottle in your vehicle and realised when you entered your garage?

I am not sure I can even open the boot without something electrical that might cause a spark. Open the doors with a key and hope? Not touch the car and leave the garage doors open until the smell goes away (could be a long time if is a small leak)

He had already opened the door, started the car, and driven it into the driveway when it blew, so in his case instead of starting the car I'd open the hood, unplug the battery (presumably the acetylene wouldn't have floated out of the car and into the engine compartment by then), and then push it out.

If you somehow know it's filled with acetylene when it's still shut, you could always open the garage door and pry the car windows open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

gently caress all of that. If I knew there was leaking acetylene, I'd be calling the professionals (911) while running as fast as I could.

Keyless entry could still cause a spark in the door lock solenoids, or the relays for the parking lights. So could opening the garage door (electric door opener; pulling the emergency release could possibly be safe, but walking past the optical sensors at the base of the door causes an audible "click" in the door opener head). For that matter, the power flickering for a split second could cause a spark in my garage - the power supply for the fiber terminal is in the garage, with a built in UPS (with a relay to switch to the 12V battery, I'm sure that relay isn't rated for class 1 explosion locations).

My breaker panel is also in the garage, so it'd be impossible to cut power safely without pulling the meter. But pulling the meter would cause the fiber terminal's UPS to kick in, which could cause a spark - and the meter is on the outside wall, about 2 ft from the breaker panel.

For that matter, since I have a burglar alarm, just opening the door from the house to the garage could, in theory, cause a tiny spark - the door has a magnetic contact in the doorframe (that's a hilariously low chance of a spark, but..)

This doesn't even account for the furnace or water heater (both gas) that are in the attic, both pretty close to the garage. Or the gas clothes dryer that sits next to the interior garage door, or the gas range 20 ft away in the kitchen.

tl;dr: I'd call 911 from several blocks away, you couldn't pay me enough to even open the door once I knew acetylene was leaking.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 7, 2014