Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Today for april fools we had some rear end in a top hat put goldfish in one of the toilets, (saved by our receptionist) and our resident slimy salesdouche put a tarantula in our facility manager's headphone case before leaving for a flight out, with a camera set up to record his reaction.

I don't know what happened to the goldfish but I know that the tarantula is going to a good home. I held it for a bit and it was pretty cool.

Yeah, you see, people don't understand April Fools at all. Both those things are just "being a dick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Someone did the ketchup packet on the toilet seat bit here.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Caged posted:

Yeah, you see, people don't understand April Fools at all. Both those things are just "being a dick".

Personally I'd call it animal abuse. I'm just glad that the tarantula was unharmed, he's a cute little guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not like it's a dog or a cat. Totally cool if I just put this harmless animal in a situation where it could end up dying for no reason, right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cojawfee posted:

It's not like it's a dog or a cat. Totally cool if I just put this harmless animal in a situation where it could end up dying for no reason, right?

Not sure I would call a tarantula a harmless creature :gonk:

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I don't know arachnids but the guy who took the tarantula in did, it is a pretty common variety found in pet stores, not venomous or poisonous at all. I had never held one before but I let it walk across my hands for over 5 minutes and it didn't seem harmful.

One of my coworkers moved in a little too fast and touched it when it didn't expect it and it raised its front legs up like it was trying to shield itself, covered its eyes with its pedipalps, and stopped moving, almost like it was cowering.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I don't know arachnids but the guy who took the tarantula in did, it is a pretty common variety found in pet stores, not venomous or poisonous at all. I had never held one before but I let it walk across my hands for over 5 minutes and it didn't seem harmful.

One of my coworkers moved in a little too fast and touched it when it didn't expect it and it raised its front legs up like it was trying to shield itself, covered its eyes with its pedipalps, and stopped moving, almost like it was cowering.

My brief encounter with Wikipedia tells me that it was taking the "I will cut you, back off" stance.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tarantulas are awesome and generally very sweet and calm. That guy deserves to be fired way more for his animal abuse than the "el oh el I'll spam people's mailboxes!" dude. Jesus christ what is wrong with people. April Fools Day sucks.

On a positive note I'll share the whole one April Fools thing I got a chuckle out of today: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1ba2/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sirotan posted:

Tarantulas are awesome and generally very sweet and calm. That guy deserves to be fired way more for his animal abuse than the "el oh el I'll spam people's mailboxes!" dude. Jesus christ what is wrong with people. April Fools Day sucks.

It really should just be retired at this point. Any time anything out of the ordinary happens you just check the date and "Oh, well that's not very funny I guess?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

It really should just be retired at this point. Any time anything out of the ordinary happens you just check the date and "Oh, well that's not very funny I guess?"
Nah some good fun stuff comes out of it.

Not this year though. But last year we had a bunch of cool internet stuff going on.

When you get down to your local office you find more people that can't discern comedy from being an rear end in a top hat. You know the kind. They do stuff that's more bullying and ego boosting, like they are elevating themselves above the person that was pranked.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

Morons are going to be morons no matter what the day is. If anything, this day can serve as a honeypot so they can out themselves earlier than they otherwise might have. Beyond that, there's some really creative people that give everyone a few laughs, and it's usually fun to read about all the pranks and hoaxes, especially when they aren't the mean-spirited kind. The Rosetta Stone one is a good example.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

KoRMaK posted:

Indeed, yesterday when people left their PC unlocked I installed an extension on chrome that replaced every image with a different picture of Nicholas Cage. Funny poo poo, takes 2 seconds to fix.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

KoRMaK posted:

Yep.

"iexplore.exe -k http://bit.ly/19jX1V8"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A phone call went out from me to a vendor in Spain. I called our usual support contact because there is a problem with some license files for the planning program we're using.

So far I've had the pleasure to listen to him swearing in five different languages - including Danish and Finnish. It's actually quite refreshing to speak with someone who knows what he's doing, is passionate about it, and act like the slightly anarchistic German he is.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A user emailed me yesterday to ask that I install a network printer in the next room while her printer is being serviced. This printer has been a problem in the recent past and they made the same request, so I went to do it and found it was already installed. So I replied and told her it was already there and she just had to select it.

She replied that it's "not on there anymore." Taking bets now about what I'll find when I check it out. Not only is there no good reason to have uninstalled the device, I don't think it's likely she even knows how.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
An E-Mail came in yesterday.

Opsware disabled everyone's root privileges across hundreds of servers.

I was really hoping it was a not very funny April Fool's joke. It was not :saddowns:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's telling you not to use opsware. :v:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
My biggest April fools joke yesterday came from Mother Nature. I went to leave for work and stepped outside to check how warm it was. Hey its 50 degrees I think I will just wear my light jacket today. By the end of the day it was down to near 30. drat Michigan!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Trastion posted:

My biggest April fools joke yesterday came from Mother Nature. I went to leave for work and stepped outside to check how warm it was. Hey its 50 degrees I think I will just wear my light jacket today. By the end of the day it was down to near 30. drat Michigan!

We hit 60 by lunch time (also MI), but were in the low 40s by the time I got home from work. Mid 50s today, though. Hopefully things will start stabilizing, because gently caress this winter right in the rear end.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
We have a program that runs on for everyone on login, and stamps their desktop with the company logo plus some useful technical details such as IP and login time. Yesterday I changed this to our main competitor's logo. Quite a few people liked it, surprisingly including the boss.

Probably better than my original idea of swapping everyone to left-handed mice via group policy.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xtothez posted:

We have a program that runs on for everyone on login, and stamps their desktop with the company logo plus some useful technical details such as IP and login time. Yesterday I changed this to our main competitor's logo. Quite a few people liked it, surprisingly including the boss.

Probably better than my original idea of swapping everyone to left-handed mice via group policy.

BGInfo!?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

xtothez posted:

Your boss must have graduated from an IT position somewhere in his career. Hints of a sense of humor AND doesn't have a knee-jerk panic reaction over "hacking" when someone abuses (strictly speaking) their level of access to do something harmless and easily reversible? I think that combination of traits gets you expelled from business school.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Day 2. Pranks still going. Phone software occasionally playing leekspin in the background (harmless, it ran for around 2 hours before i noticed). My colleague has a keyfinder hidden on the inside of his case that goes off when someone whistles or in his case, when he laughs.

I also stuck a label to the bottom of the sysadmins mouse. Looks like the whole office is bored, we're all doing tiny pranks to eachother. We usually do it anyway, but the rate has gone up massively since april fools. Luckily we're all in the same room and all find it funny.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 2, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dogstile posted:

I also stuck a label to the bottom of the sysadmins mouse.

I love this one.

It's the oldest trick in the book, and when people realize someone's done it to them you just can't help but laugh at the absurdity of it.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Renegret posted:

I love this one.

It's the oldest trick in the book, and when people realize someone's done it to them you just can't help but laugh at the absurdity of it.

I like to do it with a picture of Nick Cage.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

Day 2. Pranks still going. Phone software occasionally playing leekspin in the background (harmless, it ran for around 2 hours before i noticed). My colleague has a keyfinder hidden on the inside of his case that goes off when someone whistles or in his case, when he laughs.

Whoever did that should have their ringtone replaced with the DJ Sharpnel version.

Today's ticket:

Background: Many years ago, while working for my previous employer, we sold the customer a scanner for a highly specific and fiddly as gently caress to get right scanning job. This was after months of testing of various models and settings (including quite a lot of on-site testing) until we found a setup that worked.

I now work for a different company, and we do software support only for this system.

"Oh hey, we've replaced that old scanner with a new one, can you tell us what settings to use"

How do you tell a customer "bugger about with it until it works, that's all I'm going to do" in a polite manner?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

How do you tell a customer "bugger about with it until it works, that's all I'm going to do" in a polite manner?

"I'll be happy to help you with this. I'll have our sales department contact you in order to open a purchase order for time and materials at a rate of £XXX per hour."

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

nitrogen posted:

"I'll be happy to help you with this. I'll have our sales department contact you in order to open a purchase order for time and materials at a rate of £XXX per hour."

This. Maybe throw in a fancy explanation like "That issue is not in our currently agreed upon scope of support, however...etc."

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

scroogle nmaps posted:

Oh users.

Nah we can't send you logs because of regulations, but you need to explain what went wrong.
Yes, we know you (the vendor) haven't seen this issue before, but you need to fix it right now with no data other than a description of what happened.
No, we won't run the commands you suggest, even if they're published KB articles, we think you're trying to hack us. The PLA have probably hacked all our systems anyway, but whatever.

Here, let me wave my magic wand of problem fixing that just repairs every problem with every configuration on every version of our software.

It's my dick and I'm waving it in your face.

If you were audited and received some certification regulations won't prevent anyone from sending you logs. If its still a problem talk to the managers about it. If they can't get proper support its a waste of everyone's time.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

This. Maybe throw in a fancy explanation like "That issue is not in our currently agreed upon scope of support, however...etc."

Or even point them back to the original vendor for that particular product since you are no longer with them and don't have access to their current resources etc. This assumes your previous employer still exists and handles those things for them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lum posted:

Whoever did that should have their ringtone replaced with the DJ Sharpnel version.

I was wondering what the leekspin song was, thanks!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

I was wondering what the leekspin song was, thanks!

Sharpnel's version is a remix of Loituma's 1996 version of Ievan Polkka (which is from the 30s).

Leekspin uses Loituma's version also.

Lum fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2014

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Lum posted:

It is really weird to see that an offhand punny name a friend and I attached to a website managed to stick around in common use for ten years after the fact.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A chewing-out came in...

My director told me off today for messing up a member of staff's mailbox after the person left; I was instructed to forward the mail onto two mailboxes; one from Gmail (The contact's personal email) and another mailbox within the company.

So from what I was taught before I joined this company, I set up a distribution group that the original mailbox would send to. Within that group were the Gmail and Exchange mailboxes (With Gmail set up as a contact). My director had a meeting with the company and found out that the system was not working and the employee's replacement was not receiving the emails correctly. (Is this considered best practice? It's the only way I could see it working.)

Thankfully I did test the system on the day I set it up - I have an email from the new employee confirming that she has received the test email. So, short of having ESP, I'm not sure what I could do to detect that the mail wasn't being routed correctly after that. Not to mention the fact that for the past month they didn't report it, just let it sit until the meeting. It could have been fixed within 5 minutes.

I was also told the account wasn't disabled, which it most definitely was.

Things I've learned:

- End users can be even lazier than I, and this can compound to cause a big problem.

- I need to cover my arse 100%, even if this means screenshotting AD to show that the account has been disabled.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lum posted:

Sharpnel's version is a remix of Loituma's 1996 version of Ievan Polkka (which is from the 30s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZpmFORHBA :black101:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

A chewing-out came in...

My director told me off today for messing up a member of staff's mailbox after the person left; I was instructed to forward the mail onto two mailboxes; one from Gmail (The contact's personal email) and another mailbox within the company.

So from what I was taught before I joined this company, I set up a distribution group that the original mailbox would send to. Within that group were the Gmail and Exchange mailboxes (With Gmail set up as a contact). My director had a meeting with the company and found out that the system was not working and the employee's replacement was not receiving the emails correctly. (Is this considered best practice? It's the only way I could see it working.)

Thankfully I did test the system on the day I set it up - I have an email from the new employee confirming that she has received the test email. So, short of having ESP, I'm not sure what I could do to detect that the mail wasn't being routed correctly after that. Not to mention the fact that for the past month they didn't report it, just let it sit until the meeting. It could have been fixed within 5 minutes.

I was also told the account wasn't disabled, which it most definitely was.

Things I've learned:

- End users can be even lazier than I, and this can compound to cause a big problem.

- I need to cover my arse 100%, even if this means screenshotting AD to show that the account has been disabled.

The account being disabled should be logged, as should the reactivation(as well as who did it)

Be careful that you are not accused of entrapment for pointing out logs tho!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just had my first "Have you tried turning it off and on again" phone call.

User called with error "Microsoft Word has stopped working". :v:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Just had my first "Have you tried turning it off and on again" phone call.

If this isn't your first day on the job, you're doing it wrong.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nerdrock posted:

If this isn't your first day on the job, you're doing it wrong.

Well, day 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

A ticket(ing system) came in.

I just :yotj:ed to a $20k/yr raise at a small two man shop that has been picking up work providing lighting controls, service, and support to schools/churches/etc. Which is a fantastic job, but for the fact that our current method of handling service calls is scribbled notes on scraps of paper, voicemails, and long email chains, and inevitably things get missed.

I've been looking at setting up Spiceworks because it includes both ticketing and inventory management - which is another thing that is lacking - but I also need something that can be set up on a public-facing server since most of our freelancers never set foot inside the office.

Would Spiceworks be any good, or would I be better off setting up osTicket and a separate inventory system? The budget for this is, of course, "what is out there for free."

• Locked thread