Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Or hang it from the rafters with tiedown straps. I did that all the time with ~my bandit~ at my old place. That is of course assuming you have rafters

Barring available rafters, you can use a folding ladder over the front end and suspend it from the higher rungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
More and more gas stations around here have switched from those little carry tanks that you use to fill your tyres to a long hose on a reel, with a control box where you punch in the pressure you want and then it beeps when you're done. Problem is, that loving hose is almost impossible to guide in between the spokes of my KTM if you don't have the hands of a tiny, tiny child (but with the finger strength of a gorilla).

One station close to me even had a tank where the hose tip was adjustable 0/45/90 degrees, making filling up bikes a piece of cake. Not anymore.

:smith:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Those ones that beep are horribly inaccurate anyway. I did my tires because they felt a bit funny on one of them and thought they still felt like poo poo afterwards so I checked them when I got home and they were like 4psi off where I had told it to inflate them too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had the awesomest thing that was a male schrader valve on one end, a 4 inch length of hose, and a female schrader. You would thread the female end onto your wheels valve and it gave you a male schrader to hook to the pump. It was awesome and I think I lost it in a move :negative:

I've never had an easy bike to fill the tires on, so it was awesome.

E: it was just like this. Everyone buy like 9 of these right now!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006O2S8M?pc_redir=1395983532&robot_redir=1

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 30, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or just get some 90 degree valve stems next time you do your tyres, Christ.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Bicycle. Pump.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

KARMA! posted:

Bicycle. Pump.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

On a different note, motherfuck loving crosswinds. I spent most of today fighting a strong wind out of the south -- at its worst, I was just facing about 30 degrees south and looking at the road with my eyeballs. My neck is killing me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just as I start thinking I'm about to climb out of the financial hole I've been in for six months, my girlfriend has a fight with me, drives off to do a midnight shift at a job she hates and manages to crash the car badly enough to immobilise it. At 11pm on a loving tuesday. So shortly, I'll have to ride out to wherever she is and try to get the car started in the pissing rain with whatever tools I can carry in a backpack. And then (because she has no money), I'll have to sink a senseless amount of cash into fixing the turd. Which I literally put up for sale three hours ago with a vastly superior replacement vehicle already lined up. Goodbye, having a car that isn't a roulette wheel of reliability, and goodbye having any kind of a life or any spare cash for the next god knows how long!

Oh, and this is my fault because if I weren't such a dick, none of this would've happened! Obviously!

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Got a replacement girlfriend lined up too?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Oh, and this is my fault because if I weren't such a dick, none of this would've happened! Obviously!

Actually, in the real world, the only way this is anyones fault is if she crashed the car on purpose.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Maybe she's pulling an elaborate April fools prank.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Quite A Tool posted:

Maybe she's pulling an elaborate April fools prank.

Maybe Slav should pull an elaborate prank where he breaks up with her, finds a responsible mature person, and continues the prank for the rest of his life!

The prank should also involve him buying a red Husqvarna for obvious reasons.

(Just joshing Slav, sounds like y'all got some stresses. No offense to your chick)

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
http://teespring.com/bhbv

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dellikose posted:

Got a replacement girlfriend lined up too?

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Maybe Slav should pull an elaborate prank where he breaks up with her, finds a responsible mature person, and continues the prank for the rest of his life!

The prank should also involve him buying a red Husqvarna for obvious reasons.

(Just joshing Slav, sounds like y'all got some stresses. No offense to your chick)
She's been under a huge amount of pressure and said sorry and admitted she was being an idiot. So that's that.

What happened was the motorway was reduced to one lane due to a prior crash. Traffic went from 100 to zero very quickly. Despite this, she had more than enough time to stop etc (she's a very good driver, driving is her job) but when she tried, she found a deodorant can had rolled under the brake pedal and she ended up rear-ending a Honda Odyssey. Our car is completely totalled, and she had cancelled the insurance on it for *reasons*. Hooray!

At least the wrecker will give me $400 for it, so that's something. Currently she's riding the Hyosung to work and I'm rocking the ninja, a situation that is untenable long-term so the scramble is on to get a cheap car.

Honestly, when I was 20 and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, I didn't picture being 26 and still living pay to pay, getting financially steamrolled by the slightest setback and just being a massive failure in pretty much every way. My friends have all surpassed me enormously by now and I've basically never felt worse about myself and my situation. I don't know how many more times I can keep bouncing back (which I've been doing continuously for half a decade) before I just run out of energy and peg the speedo off a bridge. I feel like there was a manual on succeeding at life that got handed out around age 17 and I was sick on the day, and everyone around me knows something I don't. I don't have kids, don't smoke, barely ever do drugs, barely drink, don't have any real debt, but I still feel like I'm drowning. Gotta keep getting back up I guess :unsmith:

The e/n derail is now at an end, we return to your regular programming: HNasty Hates Hipsters.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 1, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Honestly, when I was 20 and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, I didn't picture being 26 and still living pay to pay, getting financially steamrolled by the slightest setback and just being a massive failure in pretty much every way. My friends have all surpassed me enormously by now and I've basically never felt worse about myself and my situation. I don't know how many more times I can keep bouncing back (which I've been doing continuously for half a decade) before I just run out of energy and peg the speedo off a bridge. I feel like there was a manual on succeeding at life that got handed out around age 17 and I was sick on the day, and everyone around me knows something I don't. I don't have kids, don't smoke, barely ever do drugs, barely drink, don't have any real debt, but I still feel like I'm drowning. Gotta keep getting back up I guess :unsmith:

Dang, buddy. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also 26 and am also in a position where having to replace a car would just about nuke any savings I have.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

She's been under a huge amount of pressure and said sorry and admitted she was being an idiot. So that's that.

What happened was the motorway was reduced to one lane due to a prior crash. Traffic went from 100 to zero very quickly. Despite this, she had more than enough time to stop etc (she's a very good driver, driving is her job) but when she tried, she found a deodorant can had rolled under the brake pedal and she ended up rear-ending a Honda Odyssey. Our car is completely totalled, and she had cancelled the insurance on it for *reasons*. Hooray!

At least the wrecker will give me $400 for it, so that's something. Currently she's riding the Hyosung to work and I'm rocking the ninja, a situation that is untenable long-term so the scramble is on to get a cheap car.

The e/n derail is now at an end, we return to your regular programming: HNasty Hates Hipsters.

lovely, dude. I'm a few years older than you, and I can see how a couple of random key events are all that seperated me from being in the same boat - getting lucky with the people I met who helped me get jobs that gave me a leg up and then using that leg up to get a bit farther ahead. Keep working at it - you might feel like a massive failure but from over here, having no real debt is a huge success for you. You can still work so that will help you crawl out of that mess you feel like you're under. PM me if you need someone to chat with when you feel overwhelmed. It'll be ok :unsmith:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Keep your head up dude, it gets better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu5P4pOUuYk

Heck yeah

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Safety Dance posted:

Dang, buddy. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also 26 and am also in a position where having to replace a car would just about nuke any savings I have.

I'm 27 and apparently make good money. Despite being sensible I'm still rolling a completely broken car and will be for several more months, at least. My wife has the posh car, and even that cost less than the downpayment on anything brand new and is 8 years old.

I really don't get how people are driving around in huge expensive cars - either a lot of people are very rich, in lots of debt or I'm doing something badly wrong.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hermand posted:

I'm 27 and apparently make good money. Despite being sensible I'm still rolling a completely broken car and will be for several more months, at least. My wife has the posh car, and even that cost less than the downpayment on anything brand new and is 8 years old.

I really don't get how people are driving around in huge expensive cars - either a lot of people are very rich, in lots of debt or I'm doing something badly wrong.

I routinely see people come into work with a 5-6 year old car and when we tell them it'll take well into four digits to repair whatever is wrong with it they just slam down the cash without blinking. People with children and seemingly ordinary jobs driving random Korean and Japanese cars worth 10-15k on the used market. It just makes no sense, it really is like they're in some club I'm unaware of.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

hermand posted:

Bolded what 90% of people (American's at least) do to get that sweet, posh car.

Sure, I could afford a $900/month car payment, but then I couldn't afford to buy anything else really.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I was just being a sarcastic dick Slavvy ;)

Make sure you don't ride pissed, some dumb decisions can be made.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

she found a deodorant can had rolled under the brake pedal and she ended up rear-ending a Honda Odyssey.

How many lives must be claimed by Axe before people learn???

Also,

Dellikose posted:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Slavvy stop dating loser girls that drive your poo poo without insurance.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dellikose posted:

This has a different meaning to us non american english speakers, both are applicable though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ironically, the only time I've ridden while I was really, genuinely upset I ended up completing a 1.5 hour car journey in about 40 minutes, at 1am, on a terrifyingly bad SV650, and I was fine. I don't recommend it though.

It was Lynx, which is Axe's local brand :negative: The can was crushed almost in half, too.

She managed to bang her nose and knee fairly badly, got some whiplash too. I guess 80's corollas crash like poo poo, who knew! The front grille, radiator, bumper and radiator fan are all part of the engine now. Bonus points: last weekend I stuck on a rebuilt-by-me cylinder head, fresh coolant, new radiator+hoses, new thermostat and several oil seals.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

How many lives must be claimed by Axe before people learn???

THEY TOLD US IT WAS KILLER ON WOMEN! WHY DID WE NOT LISTEN??!?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I recently had to drop 1700 to repair my car and had my hours at my day job cut down to about 10-20 a month for at least the next month or more so I feel your pain Slavvy. I wanted to buy a truck and a bike to do MX and minigp, and while I can still afford the bike it's just barely, I had to sell my DRZ, and money's gonna be tight for a little while.

I do have property I live in and rent out so I'm able to live, but I'm gonna have to make compromises on the fun bike stuff I planned on doing. The bright side is being basically funemployed means I can spend more time hanging out on my porch with my dog and drinking, which is nice :unsmith:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

What is this "savings" you talk about?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I routinely see people come into work with a 5-6 year old car and when we tell them it'll take well into four digits to repair whatever is wrong with it they just slam down the cash without blinking. People with children and seemingly ordinary jobs driving random Korean and Japanese cars worth 10-15k on the used market. It just makes no sense, it really is like they're in some club I'm unaware of.

Just remember, nearly everyone doing that poo poo is in debt to the loving hilt.

I was friends with some people who ran a dealership near a military base and holy gently caress, some of the stories they had...20k GSX-R 600s (after mods) on loan with 20% interest and poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A modded GSXR being ridden by an army recruit? I don't think 20% interest is high enough.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Gotta leave some room for the insurance co. to make money too, sheesh

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

Just remember, nearly everyone doing that poo poo is in debt to the loving hilt.

I was friends with some people who ran a dealership near a military base and holy gently caress, some of the stories they had...20k GSX-R 600s (after mods) on loan with 20% interest and poo poo.

No they're not. Mil bases are full of idiots making spectacularly foolish financial (and life) decisions that aren't representative of the general populace. I'm think we still have a dedicated thread in GiP about the stunning idiocy our soldiers and sailors pull.

And yeah I knew guys with brand new Gixxer thous paying >$3k a year in insurance, but I also knew one guy who bought like a $15k chopper and totalled it on the ride home, so

Nidhg00670000 posted:

In your case you pay it in taxes and it goes right to Southern Europe into savings that way

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

lovely, dude. I'm a few years older than you, and I can see how a couple of random key events are all that seperated me from being in the same boat - getting lucky with the people I met who helped me get jobs that gave me a leg up and then using that leg up to get a bit farther ahead. Keep working at it - you might feel like a massive failure but from over here, having no real debt is a huge success for you. You can still work so that will help you crawl out of that mess you feel like you're under. PM me if you need someone to chat with when you feel overwhelmed. It'll be ok :unsmith:

Your PM inbox is overwhelmed :colbert:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This, Christ what's savings?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Something that isn't motorcycles my fiance started making me put money toward when we started living together / living off of my income while she's in school.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Your PM inbox is overwhelmed :colbert:

no u :(

It's fixed :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Paying off your mortage counts as saving, right? :ohdear:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Slavvy posted:

I'm 39 and I make craploads to allow me to play with nice toys, but when I was 26 I was pretty much worse off than you are now: coming out of a painful divorce where the bitch got everything and left me homeless and broke.

Never despair man. Just work hard and you will make it big.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Paying off your mortage counts as saving, right? :ohdear:

Sure, removing debt before savings in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

adary posted:

Just work hard and you will make it big.

I know too many hard working folks who are hosed to ever dare say this to anyone.