Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oh Oh Oh, if this thread is going to devolve into mindless drivel lets do WR comparisons. That's my favorite brand of non-content poo poo.

Sammy Watkins or Julio Jones?

I actually heard someone say that Watkins was the superior prospect and that's obviously bullshit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Doltos posted:

Hey Texans fans: who do you think should go #2 overall?

If the Rams don't trade out of it? Greg Robinson. I think he's going to be a fantastic LT for the next 10-12 years, and could be a dominant RT right out of the gate.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oh Oh Oh, if this thread is going to devolve into mindless drivel lets do WR comparisons. That's my favorite brand of non-content poo poo.

I actually heard someone say that Watkins was the superior prospect and that's obviously bullshit, right?

It's bullshit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Doltos posted:

Michael Sam

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watkins and Julio Jones are nothing alike

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

I don't think the Rams will want to invest in a speedy WR after taking Austin (at least as long as they are keeping Schotty); they'd be best-suited taking a guy like Matthews or Robinson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rams also just signed Kenny Britt

Not that this should be a deterrent from taking a WR

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

The Rams also just signed Kenny Britt

Not that this should be a deterrent from taking a WR

Also true. Maybe Aaron Donald to pair with Brockers?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Ehhhhh, depends on what you're looking for. People are obviously going to say Jones was a better prospect because we have the benefit of hindsight now with Jones becoming a top-flight WR. Watkins doesn't have Jones' ridiculous size-speed combo but he's probably more polished than Jones was coming out of school and definitely more dangerous after the catch. Jones went at 6 and I wouldn't blink an eye if Watkins went by that pick as well, if not even before. Of course, Jones was in the same draft class as AJ Green, so circumstances are different.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think body control and catch radius are huge in the modern NFL. Julio Jones has that in spades. Watkins really strikes me as an upgraded version of Torrey Smith, which is great but probably not worth such a high pick in this loaded class.

Kirios posted:

If the Rams don't trade out of it? Greg Robinson. I think he's going to be a fantastic LT for the next 10-12 years, and could be a dominant RT right out of the gate.

I like Matthews better than Robinson. You can talk about ceiling as much as you'd like but Jake Matthews is just ridiculously pro ready.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I'm just preparing myself for the big 4 (Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson) being gone by pick 6 and it will make me very sad :(

If the drat Redskins would have just completed that 2 point conversion...:argh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'd bet one of those four will be there at six. At least one QB and probably Watkins are going to go in the top 5

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Intruder posted:

I'd bet one of those four will be there at six. At least one QB and probably Watkins are going to go in the top 5

I really hope so, and I think you are right, but I just have this feeling poo poo is gonna go down and Atlanta will be on the outside looking in. There are lots of rumors of them trading up to 2, and with Dmitrioff anything is possible, I am not a fan of that with such a deep draft from what I understand in positions of need for them.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watkins compares favorably to Torrey Smith physically but he's much, much better than Torrey Smith.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Coming out of college most definitely. I just don't think Watkins matches up to previous top tier WR prospects like Green, Johnson, Johnson, and Fitzgerald.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I view him like a much better Blackmon but it's because I think they both play bigger than they are.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah if a guy isn't 6'5 245 lbs you can't really fault him for it. We're living in a freaky age of WRs but 6'1 215 is still great size for a guy running down field trying to catch a ball.

Excluding the size element of it, I see that Watkins compares very favorably with guys like Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Jerry Rice, etc. 6'1-6'2 with feet as crisp as Watkins terrorize the league for a long time.

He does seem a bit underwhelming to the big names, but he's by far the best WR in this draft. Mike Evans looks like a league standard big man, which isn't a bad thing either, just not HoF worthy like Calvin or AJ2000.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
The only question we need to ask about #2 is who is going to trade up into that spot once Houston passes on Clowney.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Falcons.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shath Hole posted:

I'm just preparing myself for the big 4 (Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson) being gone by pick 6 and it will make me very sad :(

Go BPA and take Watkins. :getin:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Parmesan Basil posted:

The only question we need to ask about #2 is who is going to trade up into that spot once Houston passes on Clowney.

Browns, but to draft the second-best QB left.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

I'm resigned to it being the Raiders and having him gently caress us up twice a year for fifteen years or so.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

What's this

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m
Source: Johnny Manziel spotted in New England, set for a visit with the #Patriots tomorrow. Agent @ErikBurkhardt would not confirm.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vertical Lime posted:

What's this

Source: Johnny Manziel spotted in New England, set for a visit with the #Patriots tomorrow. Agent @ErikBurkhardt would not confirm.

They need a WR

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How about a healthy mix of criticism AND confirmation bias

quote:

NBC Sports' Shaun King expressed concern with Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel's "extracurricular activities" and mechanics.

"I don't like his arm release, he throws from a 3/4s sideways release point. That is not good for a short guy," King began.

"...Every time he throws the ball to the left he is always off line at the end of his drop... that lets me know that even working on this for three months, he is still not comfortable coming from under center."

King went on to say he believes there are "outside concerns," saying "he's not the first person in the building, not the last person to leave" type. King, a former quarterback, also questions Manziel's intentions of wearing Nike gear during his pro day rather than Texas A&M labeled equipment and has heard from decision makers who were troubled by the language in the music that played during the workout.
vile hippity hop music!!

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick

Vertical Lime posted:

What's this

Get the gently caress in. :getin:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Feisty, I like it

quote:

Fresno State QB Derek Carr told Cleveland.com that he's the best QB in the draft and he welcomes competing with Brian Hoyer for the Browns' starting gig.
"In the most humble way you can answer that question, yes (I'm the best)," Carr said Tuesday. "Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind. That's a tough one for me to answer because I don't like talking about myself in that light, but to answer it, absolutely." Carr, who led the NCAA with 5,083 yards and 50 TD passes in 2013, was in town to hold a private workout for the Browns on Monday. "I left there with a really good vibe," Carr said. "Now, to the extent of whether they're going to pick me or not, I have no clue. Teams are good at disguising that kind of stuff. But from the standpoint of having a good feel from it and a good vibe of it, definitely." Carr also noted enthusiasm about the idea of competing with Hoyer, a veteran he or any other first-round QB would likely displace.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chilichimp posted:

He should have taken the Eli route and demanded to be traded from the awful, awful Chargers.

I don't think you understand the difference between the top overall pick and a 2nd round QB who was a hair over six feet tall.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is the :smug: look of a guy who doesn't even put Bridgewater in the 1st round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/bryan-fischer/200651

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shath Hole posted:

Seriously, how loving terrible is that team... they turned the ball over like 15 times and Atlanta let them back in... and Cousins still hosed it up.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I don't think you understand the difference between the top overall pick and a 2nd round QB who was a hair over six feet tall.

It was a joke, and... apparently the joke is on the Draft Guru's, because Brees is so much better than Eli.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 2, 2014

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chilichimp posted:

It was a joke, and... apparently the joke is on the Draft Guru's, because Brees is so much better than Eli.

maybe in terms of owning fast food franchises but not in terms of Super Bowls

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Brees was Russell Wilson before Russell Wilson came along, and Purdue isn't exactly a QB factory. It's not hard to see why he fell to the 2nd round.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Purdue...sort of is a QB factory though? Historically at least they punch way above their weight.

This is probably less true by the time Brees came around but you've heard of a lot of Purdue quarterbacks whether you realize it or not.

e: None of them have been hall of famer good (or outside of Orton even arguably good) since the 60s other than Brees of course, but it always surprises me how many have had long NFL careers.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 2, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Purdue is called the cradle of QBs for a reason:

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/craddle-of-quarterbacks.html

Doltos fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 2, 2014

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 31m
The idea of Gronk and jff being on the same team just hit me ... Wow. Gonna take a while to process that.

Please god, do not deny us this.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Curtis Painter

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Curtis Painter

Was pretty good in college and played in the NFL. Most colleges would kill to say they had that many NFL QBs.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Curtis Painter shouldn't count. Being The Manning's personal assistant isn't the same as being an NFL QB, and I don't care how many "starts" you get while the real QB is injured.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh contraire, being Eli's backup means you have a shot at playing next year when he's benched

I wanna see Nassib though, not Painter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Butthead posted:

Curtis Painter shouldn't count. Being The Manning's personal assistant isn't the same as being an NFL QB, and I don't care how many "starts" you get while the real QB is injured.

Three (eventual) hall of famers, Jim Rome favorite Jim Everett, Sophia favorite Kyle Orton and TFF favorite Jeff George say that you don't need to count Painter if you don't want to.

I mean seriously this is Purdue we're talking about.

• Locked thread