Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I've been noticing that my pizza stone gives off a lot of smoke when I heat it up lately. Like when I open the oven door it just stinks up my apartment, even with the oven fan on.

What could be causing this?
I'm guessing its the remnants of stuff from other times I've used my stone are burning up, but it's really pretty decently clean I think. I've read you're not supposed to use soap when cleaning it, and preferably not even water.

It just makes me not want to use it if I have to ventilate my apartment and deal with an hour of smoke every time I make pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Run the clean cycle on your oven. It'll look like a brand new stone. Of course if you haven't run the clean cycle in a while it may belch a lot of smoke out.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Run the clean cycle on your oven. It'll look like a brand new stone. Of course if you haven't run the clean cycle in a while it may belch a lot of smoke out.

My oven doesn't have a clean cycle. Will turning it up as high as it will go for a while give the same effect?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Ehhh I couldn't say. Clean cycles usually get up to ~900 degrees and basically turn any organic matter to ash.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
If you disable the safety mechanism, clean cycle also doubles as a great pizza mode.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Found a Ceramics supply store near the house that sells Cordierite kiln shelves. Picked up a 16" x 5/8 round stone for $16.

Going to fire up the Kettle Pizza today and test it out.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Why are pizza ovens like Alpha, Fontana and Fornetto so expensive? $3,000+ for what amounts to a box with a dome inside? What am I missing?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 22, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

VERTiG0 posted:

Why are pizza ovens like Alpha, Fontana and Fornetto so expensive? $3,000+ for what amounts to a box with a dome inside? What am I missing?

It's really heavy. Pizza ovens have a ton of mass. I built one in my parents yard out of cinder blocks and bricks and a slate roof. It was kind of on short notice so I still paid like $250 in materials. I probably could have done it almost for free if you browse craigslist frequently enough. I couldn't get firebricks either, but it probably would have raised the cost quite a bit.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Daedalus Esquire posted:

It's really heavy. Pizza ovens have a ton of mass. I built one in my parents yard out of cinder blocks and bricks and a slate roof. It was kind of on short notice so I still paid like $250 in materials. I probably could have done it almost for free if you browse craigslist frequently enough. I couldn't get firebricks either, but it probably would have raised the cost quite a bit.

If you didn't use fire brick, what did you make the cooking surface out of?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I bought unglazed ceramic quarry tile and lined the bottoms and sides with it. I used regular brick for the walls and cinder locks for the base.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I bought unglazed ceramic quarry tile and lined the bottoms and sides with it. I used regular brick for the walls and cinder locks for the base.

What kind of temps are you getting it up to and how long does it hold?

Sorry for the questions but this goes against everything I've read about building wood burning ovens (doing research into building my own). That being said, this wouldn't be the first time that the internet took something simple and time tested and dramatically over engineered it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
http://people.umass.edu/dac/projects/BrickOven/Instant_BrickOven.htm

This was my basic inspiration, I made mine a bit bigger. If you have archives, I believe the thread where I showed the build was in the DIY forum, though the images may have been on waffle images. Also, I think somewhere within the first 10 pages of this thread there should be a link to the original thread.

Anyway, it generally took me around a hour to an hour and a half to get it up to temp. I'm not an engineer or construction person, so I couldn't mortar the bricks together (this made it really hard to get the heat above 650) so I ended up just slapping wet mortar around the outside to seal the cracks.
The trade off is that it became a lot harder to keep a fire going since I didn't really have a vent, it ended up choking itself out a lot. On the plus side, when I was willing to babysit it, I got around 850 degrees which was awesome. Pizzas took about a minute and a half to two minutes.
It was really finicky and I think that is because I wanted to build a larger chamber. It seems like that guys oven worked really well and I probably should have opted to double layer the bricks instead of using a larger space.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Used the stone again tonight, god drat was that some good pizza. Moz, anchovies, pesto, tomato, garlic and onion.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
So here's what came out of the frankenweber over the weekend.

It's a Caputo "00" 62% Neapolitan dough topped with pesto, romano, goat cheese, and fresh motz. Since I burned the poo poo out of my previous run of pies I decided to mellow out on the heat a bit this time. I think for this one the stone was somewhere around 650-700f with the dome in the high 700's. Took about 3 minutes to cook.

This is probably the best pizza I've made to date.

Shut Up Spanish
Nov 6, 2010

Sointenly posted:

This is probably the best pizza I've made to date.

It looks it too.... drat. I want to eat that!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My God, someone who realises pizzas don't have to be slathered in tomato. Or to contain tomato at all.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Alfredo Sauce is another alternative I've used. I was trying to recreate a Philly Cheese Steak pizza from a certain large chain. Was a little heavy but delicious.

Sometimes I also use it on tomato based pizza instead if cheese.

As for pesto use, yes absolutely done that and it works well. A simple anchovy pizza works well.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Go easy on the pesto though, a nice thin layer is all that is needed. The olive oil in the pesto will separate and rise as the pizza is cooked. If you get to heavy handed you can end up with a bit of an oily mess.

All told though, i'm particular to good old fashion tomato sauce. No spices, no herbs, just San Marzano tomato pureed up with a little Sea Salt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The pizza place near me treats pesto like a topping. Little dollops around like you would with ricotta. Works great.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm going to be making a vodka sauce pizza next week, super stoked.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I've used pesto as a sauce before, and dotted it with little blobs of homemade pizza sauce on top so as it cooks it kinda oozes alongside the cheese and provides a nice acid contrast. It's pretty aces. I don't like using little actual tomatoes on the top of my pies because there's just too much liquid and they just turn into boiling little tomato bombs in your mouth.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Tried pizza for the first time, disaster. The paste was sticky as hell and would break down if pulled even a little bit.
The cast iron plancha from my grill does the trick in the oven though.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Spatule posted:

Tried pizza for the first time, disaster. The paste was sticky as hell and would break down if pulled even a little bit.
The cast iron plancha from my grill does the trick in the oven though.

Well, more flour with a higher protein content did the trick. That was paste like in the best Italian restaurants, and easy to handle too.
Cornflour is a gift from god.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Aaronicon posted:

I've used pesto as a sauce before, and dotted it with little blobs of homemade pizza sauce on top so as it cooks it kinda oozes alongside the cheese and provides a nice acid contrast. It's pretty aces. I don't like using little actual tomatoes on the top of my pies because there's just too much liquid and they just turn into boiling little tomato bombs in your mouth.

I'm 100% against fresh tomato (in any form) on top of a pizza. I've noticed recently that sliced tomato is finding it's way onto most "gourmet pizzas". Like you said, all you get out of that is a soggy mess of wet tomato.

That being said, what I think i'm going to try is roasting some cherry heirloom tomatoes first and them tossing them on. Hoping that roasting them will pull out a little liquid.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
The only time I care for fresh tomato is on top of white pies. Though I've had some that end up like you said, just a wet mess. But there are absolutely places that pull it off very well by me at least.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

If your tomato slices are making puddles, try making them thinner or even just not using the seeds. Personally fresh tomato is one of my favourite toppings when pulled off well, as even mealy off-season grocery tomatoes can get roasted up to a nice flavour.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I don't put tomato on a pizza when I'm using tomato sauce, but with white or barbecue sauces I commonly do. Then I use plum tomatoes, partly since they're lower moisture to start, and scoop the inner seed part out too.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
When I put fresh tomato on my pizzas, I use Romas - much more meaty, and far less of that watery seedy goo.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza? Can you even make them in a regular (gas) oven?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2uGmk0kYC4

I always just have trouble getting it out of the pan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I usually don't enjoy fresh tomato on pizza but one time I had one that had oven dehydrated the tomatoes before being used as a topping. It intensified the tomato flavor and was actually surprisingly good, not to mention no water seeping all over the place.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Is there a way to make non-lovely pizza dough without waiting for it to rise?

I looked up a few recipes, but they all look like regular dough recipes without the waiting. Is there a point to using yeast at that point? I thought it needed at least half an hour or so for the yeast to actually matter. Would a small amount of baking soda work instead?

I'm not looking for a puffy crust, but I'm not looking for a cracker, either. Every time I've tried a "fast" dough recipe, the dough still takes a while and is just bland.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I know you can't really rush good bread, but someone here may have already experimented.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Make a batch, put it in the fridge for a day or two, freeze and put them back in the fridge the morning of pizza.

If you are looking for instant gratification use a rolling pin and play with the hydration?

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Couple of things...

Like with beer, yeast /fermentation is really what creates the flavor (and texture) in dough. There are a ton of recipes for no-rise dough on the web but I doubt any of them are going to be comparable to a yeast dough's. You may still like it though, I love tombstone "pizza" and I'm pretty sure that's a no rise dough, in fact it's almost more of a pie crust.

Lastly.. just this past Sunday we had some friends tell us they were coming by for dinner sort of at the last minute. I was out of dough (which i normally let ferment for 3 days) so I decided to give a super short fermentation a shot. I made my typical Caputo "00" dough but instead of portioning it and letting it sit in the fridge, I portioned it and just let it sit out on the counter for 4 hours. Honestly, it ended up being pretty drat ok. It was easy to work with and tasted pretty similar to my 3 day dough's. Actually, that part of is was kind of a bummer because it's making me think maybe my 3 day dough should be way better.

Anyway..

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

There's "emergency" dough recipes for various types of crust over on the pizzamaking.com forums. Most ferment for 2-5 hours, and I've enjoyed all my short rise doughs.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
I have a question that I am sure has been covered already. Made pizza last night, killer dough recipe
and using a primo bbq (ceramic dealie a la big green egg). I have seen the comments on using steel instead
of a stone, and I get that, but I had no steel last night, just a stone.

So I have the temp bouncing between 500 and 550, the first two come off beautifully. The third, however,
did not fare as well. It spent less time in, and the crust was blackened. I had wiped the stone clean in between
each cook, and I did use corn meal to slide. My assumption is that the stone absorbs proteins and gets saturated,
then returns burnt proteins/fats to the crust, because my temp didn't spike and I didn't leave it on for very long.

Am I on the right track here, GWS? I would really like for that to never happen again.

TIA

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

wontondestruction posted:

Am I on the right track here, GWS? I would really like for that to never happen again.

TIA

Are you letting your stone reheat between pies? How long are you baking you pizza's for when they burn?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

indoflaven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2uGmk0kYC4

I always just have trouble getting it out of the pan.

Got to "fine ground cornmeal" and shut it off. There's no cornmeal in pizza, much less Chicago deep dish :argh:. Here's a good recipe:

http://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail.pdf

Try using a 2 piece non-stick 2" deep tart pan. Makes de-panning extremely easy.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Sointenly posted:

Are you letting your stone reheat between pies? How long are you baking you pizza's for when they burn?

I did leave time for the stone to re-heat, and they were cooked for about 5-6 minutes. I am kinda baffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nostrum posted:

Got to "fine ground cornmeal" and shut it off. There's no cornmeal in pizza, much less Chicago deep dish :argh:. Here's a good recipe:

http://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail.pdf

Try using a 2 piece non-stick 2" deep tart pan. Makes de-panning extremely easy.

Lou Malnati's has it with cornmeal.