Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't there also a rumour of a half-finished remake of Day of the Tentacle as well? The masters for that are probably in the same shallow grave Lucasarts dumped that manager in :sigh:.
Yes. It was being done by the Singapore team that did the Monkey Island remakes. Supposedly it was 80% done despite never being greenlit by management, because late-day Lucasarts was a competently-run studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't there also a rumour of a half-finished remake of Day of the Tentacle as well? The masters for that are probably in the same shallow grave Lucasarts dumped that manager in :sigh:.

I think that was a fan project, wasn't it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh yeah, I meant to post this yesterday, so I'll do it now: After a good few delays, The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime is coming out on April 10th. It's an updated version of the absurdly rare Power Mac remake of the original game, with additional features from the double-absurdly rare Playstation port, plus improved artwork and such.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

You know, I am sort of tempted to do this...
http://www.gog.com/game/tesla_effect_a_tex_murphy_adventure

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I know very little about it, though, but this is the kind of thing I'd be happy to support if it's anything like the old classics...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I know very little about it, though, but this is the kind of thing I'd be happy to support if it's anything like the old classics...

I can't imagine they're going to change up the formula much. As far as I can tell from the kickstarter backer updates and the few videos/trailers they've released its basically a better looking version of the older games. The trailers have concentrated on the FMV cutscenes but the biggest change will probably be just WASD and mouse-look to get around in the investigation bits.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

You should totally buy it. It's cheap and you get the soundtrack and one of the classics for pre-ordering it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dragonrah posted:

You should totally buy it. It's cheap and you get the soundtrack and one of the classics for pre-ordering it.

Quick question for anyone who's preordered: I already own all the old Tex Murphy games. Will GOG give me a giftable code I can give a spare to someone else or am I just going to lose out?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kibayasu posted:

I can't imagine they're going to change up the formula much. As far as I can tell from the kickstarter backer updates and the few videos/trailers they've released its basically a better looking version of the older games. The trailers have concentrated on the FMV cutscenes but the biggest change will probably be just WASD and mouse-look to get around in the investigation bits.

KS backer here. That's pretty much exactly what it looks like: a game done in almost exactly the same style as UAKM and Pandora Directive.

Not to derail, but this is the first game from a "classic" dev that I've backed that really feels like I'm getting a continuation of the old game I loved, rather than something set in the same universe with drastically updated tech.

It would be like if the Coles' Hero U KS was for a point and click VGA game like :qfg: and not... whatever it is we got.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Peas and Rice posted:

It would be like if the Coles' Hero U KS was for a point and click VGA game like :qfg: and not... whatever it is we got.

I'm not sure what to say about that, but as much as I loved QFG, I couldn't bring myself to pledge. Especially after their insistence that to do Hero U in the style of QFG4 it would take millions. Yeah, all those devs who copied the old Sierra style really spent that much on development.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dragonrah posted:

I'm not sure what to say about that, but as much as I loved QFG, I couldn't bring myself to pledge. Especially after their insistence that to do Hero U in the style of QFG4 it would take millions. Yeah, all those devs who copied the old Sierra style really spent that much on development.

Yeah, I ended up backing out as well for exactly that reason. I REALLY want them to do well, but I was hoping for another QfG game, even if it was a spiritual successor.

There's Heroine's Quest, a F2P QFG-like which I could only stand for about 10 minutes, and Mage's Initiation, which is done by the same group that did the QFG2 remake, but I just want another :qfg:.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Peas and Rice posted:

Yeah, I ended up backing out as well for exactly that reason. I REALLY want them to do well, but I was hoping for another QfG game, even if it was a spiritual successor.

There's Heroine's Quest, a F2P QFG-like which I could only stand for about 10 minutes, and Mage's Initiation, which is done by the same group that did the QFG2 remake, but I just want another :qfg:.

I tried booting up Heroine's Quest earlier and couldn't get it to run. Granted I gave up after a minute, though I might go back to it later at some point.

I'm right there with you. License the rights and give us a real QFG. Is that even possible? I'm assuming Activision owns the right?

Edit: In addition to Mage's initiation there is also Quest For Infamy (another Kickstarter) to look forward to.

Edit 2: QFI has a demo...trying it now. http://infamous-quests.com/home/index.php?page=qfi

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 2, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dragonrah posted:

I tried booting up Heroine's Quest earlier and couldn't get it to run.

Sounds just like the real Quest for Glory games already!

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Neo Rasa posted:

You're right.

So I booted up the demo to Quest for Infamy and "Oh God, the voice acting burns..." Thankfully you can turn it off.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dragonrah posted:

I tried booting up Heroine's Quest earlier and couldn't get it to run. Granted I gave up after a minute, though I might go back to it later at some point.

I'm right there with you. License the rights and give us a real QFG. Is that even possible? I'm assuming Activision owns the right?

Edit: In addition to Mage's initiation there is also Quest For Infamy (another Kickstarter) to look forward to.

Edit 2: QFI has a demo...trying it now. http://infamous-quests.com/home/index.php?page=qfi

Well, Jane Jenson got the rights to Gabriel Knight, and her studio is remaking GK1.. so I assume it would be possible. But that operates under the assumption that Activision flat-out owns the IP, and the Coles retained no rights to it at all and didn't want a piece of the action.

The writing in Heroine's Quest killed any joy it had for me. I mean, QFG isn't exactly Shakespeare.. but goddamn was it bad. Like, Codename: Iceman bad. Gonna have to check out the QFI demo though, I'm glad that's finally close to being released!

quote:

The GOG versions of the QFG games run just fine. They even fixed the crashes in QFG4 and made QFG5 workable on Windows 7 machines, which is no mean feat.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Say I pre-order the new Tex Murphy; which of the old ones should I choose to get for free? Note that I don't really care about storyline continuity so long as it's not absolutely pivotal.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Under a Killing Moon is my personal favorite.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Tex Murphy is the only game I've ever backed on kickstarter and it looks like it ended up exactly as I'd imagined.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

macnbc posted:

Quick question for anyone who's preordered: I already own all the old Tex Murphy games. Will GOG give me a giftable code I can give a spare to someone else or am I just going to lose out?

I got a GOG code for backing the kickstarter while I already had all the games and could just regift it. I'm assuming it'll work the same way on this occasion.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

synertia posted:

Tex Murphy is the only game I've ever backed on kickstarter and it looks like it ended up exactly as I'd imagined.

I'm cool with it if it follows the same basic formula as the classics. Those were games I thought I'd hate going in, but ended up adoring. FMV seems a thing that got unnecessarily abandoned and in need if a revival. Their trailer looks great!

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Overwined posted:

I'm cool with it if it follows the same basic formula as the classics. Those were games I thought I'd hate going in, but ended up adoring. FMV seems a thing that got unnecessarily abandoned and in need if a revival. Their trailer looks great!

I'm probably in the minority, but I love the FMV of Dark Forces 2 with Jason Court and Angela Harry.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aratoeldar posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but I love the FMV of Dark Forces 2 with Jason Court and Angela Harry.

I love the badness of them, if that's the same thing. It's not the same as the intentional hammy-ness of Tex Murphy but its an enjoyable bad.

Edit: I'd probably go with Pandora Directive myself. The gameplay is basically the same and though you miss a fair number of character introductions by not starting with Under a Killing Moon it had a much larger budget so you get some great "guest" actors and better FMV's.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Risen is apparently on sale for $3.99, which is a steal if you haven't played the game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
GOG is playing host to my dreams. Their NewDark updated versions of Thief 1 and 2 are on sale for $3.49 each. Thief DS is on sale as well.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

There is a Square Enix sale this weekend, I picked up the Legacy of Kain games for $1.50 each.

Matthaeus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kibayasu posted:

I love the badness of them, if that's the same thing. It's not the same as the intentional hammy-ness of Tex Murphy but its an enjoyable bad.

Edit: I'd probably go with Pandora Directive myself. The gameplay is basically the same and though you miss a fair number of character introductions by not starting with Under a Killing Moon it had a much larger budget so you get some great "guest" actors and better FMV's.

They tried, and that's what makes it work. They're not hamming it up, but they're also not Academy Award actors, but dammit, they're TRYING to be cool Star Wars dudes even if all they have are green screen backdrops and costumes, and it added to the charm.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

How are the PC versions of the Legacy of Kain games? I used to have them for PS1 and PS2 long ago but no longer have them. I've heard the Soul Reaver 1 port isn't so good and that the Dreamcast version is the best version but, what about Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance? Are they functional?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The PC version of Defiance seemed just fine when I played it, but it was awhile ago.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How are the PC versions of the Legacy of Kain games? I used to have them for PS1 and PS2 long ago but no longer have them. I've heard the Soul Reaver 1 port isn't so good and that the Dreamcast version is the best version but, what about Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance? Are they functional?

They're all functional, though if you're like me and you have an ATI card you may get some texture errors in Soul Reaver 2 that you'll have to download some guy's .dll to fix. I've never played the DC version of Soul Reaver 1 but the PC version looks like a PS1 game through and through, and I'd have to imagine the DC version looks at least slightly better. I'd certainly hope so, anyhow. They're all fun games though and you won't regret playing through the PC versions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Check out Omikron, people. It's like Shenmue in genre breaking style (adventure/action hybrid) and while the multiple elements don't work nearly as well it's one of the most unique offerings on GOG. Plus David Bowie.

Grab Anachronox, too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

They tried, and that's what makes it work. They're not hamming it up, but they're also not Academy Award actors, but dammit, they're TRYING to be cool Star Wars dudes even if all they have are green screen backdrops and costumes, and it added to the charm.

Nope, no ham here at all :v:

Unless we have different definitions of ham, but I think we're on the same page anyways. Its a thoroughly enjoyable experience of good-bad acting.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kibayasu posted:

Nope, no ham here at all :v:

Unless we have different definitions of ham, but I think we're on the same page anyways. Its a thoroughly enjoyable experience of good-bad acting.

Oh, I was talking about the Jedi Knight cutscenes, sorry. Tex Murphy is so hammy, they had to cook a pig to make it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh, I was talking about the Jedi Knight cutscenes, sorry. Tex Murphy is so hammy, they had to cook a pig to make it.

Oh, right, I'm confusing two different conversations. My bad. Yeah, the Dark Forces 2 cutscenes are definitely on the trying-too-hard bad scale but comes out alright in the end regardless.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
There's something I've realized. If Tesla Effect is going on GOG, that means an Atlus game is going on GOG. And if an Atlus game is going on GOG, that technically means a Sega game is going on GOG. And if a Sega game is going on GOG, they might have an in to sign a deal for other Sega games, including motherfucking Obsidian (assuming they can get it to work on modern systems - it uses an old version of Quicktime, for example).

Also, has Big Finish confirmed that they and not Atlus/Sega still own the rights to Tex Murphy?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 6, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

There's something I've realized. If Tesla Effect is going on GOG, that means an Atlus game is going on GOG. And if an Atlus game is going on GOG, that technically means a Sega game is going on GOG. And if a Sega game is going on GOG, they might have an in to sign a deal for other Sega games, including motherfucking Obsidian (assuming they can get it to work on modern systems - it uses an old version of Quicktime, for example).

Also, has Big Finish confirmed that they and not Atlus/Sega still own the rights to Tex Murphy?

No developer is going to sign away their rights to a property to get help in marketing and publishing (which is different from financing) their game. There's certainly some kind of profit sharing for a return and then some on whatever investment Atlus made but as long as a publisher isn't paying for the creation of a product they don't have any grounds to ask for the rights to it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Journeyman Project 1: Pegasus Prime is out today.

Moof Strydar
Jul 13, 2001

Peas and Rice posted:

I backed their KS, they've changed focus after some of their talent dropped out (like a programmer and artist), it's looking more like a traditional QfG game. However, I don't have high hopes of it getting completed, for various reasons (seems like the Coles lack the business experience required to run a game studio).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I don't know what you're talking about... that game's been out since GoG launched... :tinfoil::science:.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

This is an awesome adventure game. Anyone who likes these sort of games should own it.

I'll put my money where my mouth is on this one and give a copy away but I'd rather someone who actually wants it gets it.
So.. the 5th person who PMs me what their favorite time travel game/TV show/movie/book/whatever is and why gets a code!
Claimed by radicalr! (Who's a Quantum Leap fan)

macnbc fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 10, 2014

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Moof Strydar posted:

I backed their KS, they've changed focus after some of their talent dropped out (like a programmer and artist), it's looking more like a traditional QfG game. However, I don't have high hopes of it getting completed, for various reasons (seems like the Coles lack the business experience required to run a game studio).

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way. Their initial designs were something different (a Persona type game, I think?) but after they figured out that everyone just wanted another QFG game they've shifted the design to it. I'm not especially optimistic either, but I wish them the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Moof Strydar posted:

That's really too bad, but doesn't surprise me that much. :smith:

I really wish they'd just have pitched and focused on a QFG-like from the start.