Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
I did a draft and I went 3-0 before I had to quit. I rocked with a mono-white deck. Both of my opponents were blue decks with lots of fliers. Is that a common thing for drafts?

On the last game, the guy thought he was going to win. I got the last mana I needed and then instead of letting him poke at me, I started letting him kill my troops while I set up the combo.

I get up to 6 mana. I put down the captain of the dragon guard. He assaults me and does a bunch of damage with his 7 troops. He mimics my captain. I play my judgement card and kill ALL of his shiny toys.

He puts out his mimicked captain, and I attack. He blocks, thinking I got nothing. Diamond aura comes out and I kill his only troop. He now has 0 cards in his hand while I still have 4.

I proceed to completely trash him.

I love this game :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

While things are light years ahead of where they were a few months ago, it still really needs some polish (in some cases), complete features (in others), or a complete revamp (the interface is pretty awful all round). Each patch seems to shore things up a bit tighter, but I would say fall would be the earliest an open (monetized) beta wouldn't be a total disaster*. Unless they have hired a bunch more help recently and gotten then up to speed on the project. Throwing money/man hours at it in bulk would knock out quite a few of the to do items.

*This is for PVP only. Since we haven't seen anything PvE at all, tack another 6 months on if they want to launch feature complete with PvE.

It is fun, and headed the right direction. It is just taking its sweet time getting there.

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.
Patch today opening the store for testing. Pack opening, last of the pvp cards of set 1, and last of the gems are all in. All of the features that Cryptozoic wanted in before closed beta are now implemented (though still many bugs).

In case it wasn't widely known, in preparation for the coming beta, April 1st will be the last day Cryptozoic will offer the slacker backer or will give refunds.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

So there is a new card manager. All of you guys who were complaining before: How do you like it?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
It's still too slow.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

The changes to Bun'jitsu are great. Finally, my favorite champ is ready to go.

There are lots of nuances to his power. For Goon reference:

*Temporary buffs to attack and defense, such as wild growth, become permanent if buffed troops are turned into an abomination
*Effect buffs, such as lifedrain, are stripped from troops when making an abom (makes sense)
*Abominations are base 0/0. Mimicking them is a waste of a card. (Either a bug with mimic or reverting kills the abom, still need to test)
*You can't morph exhausted troops.

Now you too can put out 15/15 abominations on turn 4 (and then lose).

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
One of the strongest combos I've seen, Cerulean Mirror Knight + Horrible Conversion. Everything over cost two becomes draw fodder, especially the Xentoth's Inqusitor because the Mirror Knight's buff stacks with itself

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Just went through three rounds of a draft and didn't get to play a single game thanks to every match crashing before it started. I don't have a lot of opportunities to draft, so I'll probably not be coming back for a while. The drafting is really fun, though, just wish I'd reliably be able to play my games.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I took down a draft last night with mono green fatness. 2 howling brave, 4(!) feral ogre, crash of beasts, and 3 honeycaps - alongside a plethora of other creatures, with 2 survival of the fittest and 2 wild growth. Was nuts

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
revengeanceful did you try quitting out of the client and doing a repair install? A friend of mine had the same problem and that fixed it for him

Also yea draft has been great, I played against John Tatta from HexTCG Pro in a final the other night and lost big both games but it was still a lot of fun!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Afgad posted:

So there is a new card manager. All of you guys who were complaining before: How do you like it?

Maybe the deck builder is more functional. It's still painfully slow to use.

Filters are faster, but card images load one at a time. Even though each card takes a fraction of a second to load in, with over 2k cards in the collection that's taking a long time. Picking a champion also is pretty frustrating. Scroll wheel doesn't work on that screen for some reason, not all of the champion text is readable, some of it is cut off, but you can't get a zoom view for that champion to read what it actually does.

This deckbuilder is an improvement, but it's not nearly good enough for me.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also the deckbuilder has a very subtle problem when you are drafting - the "save deck" option is right above the "forfeit" option

99% of the time that's no problem at all, but I suspect at least one of my draft opponents fell victim to that after winning the first match

And yea I feel like card loading is faster, but it is also still slower than where it needs to be

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The "save deck" option really needs to be a) separate from the "I'm ready to play" button and b) on the main screen, not buried in a submenu.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Grim posted:

And yea I feel like card loading is faster, but it is also still slower than where it needs to be

This.

For the type of game that Hex is, it seems to me like the #1 thing they need to get right is the deck builder. Soooooo far away from that for me.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I watched the latest Interview with Cory Jones; it was great to hear about new stuff coming and Cory is super enthusiastic as always but the two interviewers just seemed bored almost? Whatever, looking forward to Cory's blog post tomorrow.

Also from over on the Hex forums;

quote:

Failed to Start Game Bug
We need your help in tracking down a client bug that prevents tournament games from starting. If you ever get the “Failed to start game” pop-up message please follow these steps

1. Close your client with the red “X” button immediately, don’t click on anything else in the client
2. Open your C-drive (or where you installed HEX) and navigate to the HEX folder
3. Open the “Hex_Data” folder
4. Find the file named “output_log”
5. Email that file to debug@cryptozoic.com

Thanks everyone, this will help us identify this problem quickly.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Grim posted:

Also the deckbuilder has a very subtle problem when you are drafting - the "save deck" option is right above the "forfeit" option

99% of the time that's no problem at all, but I suspect at least one of my draft opponents fell victim to that after winning the first match

None of the deck stats are working either. No ratios, resources, test draws, etc. Annoying, and obviously needs to be fixed before beta.

I wish I could export some of the my drafted decks to test against the AI. I feel like a have drafted good decks, but that I am somehow screwing up the implementation of them. Some practice would be good.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

WayAbvPar posted:

None of the deck stats are working either. No ratios, resources, test draws, etc. Annoying, and obviously needs to be fixed before beta.

I wish I could export some of the my drafted decks to test against the AI. I feel like a have drafted good decks, but that I am somehow screwing up the implementation of them. Some practice would be good.
That's weird, last I looked it was working in the new interface

Also you can load up your draft decks, just go into the card manager then load and it will have some weird name - if you wanna play with it you'll need to bring it up to 60 cards though, but at least you can look at the other cards you drafted in your reserves so that can be helpful

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Grim posted:

I watched the latest Interview with Cory Jones; it was great to hear about new stuff coming and Cory is super enthusiastic as always but the two interviewers just seemed bored almost? Whatever, looking forward to Cory's blog post tomorrow.

Interesting video, PvE is really what I'm excited about. PvP looks fine, but I'm just going to wait until release.

I did a draft the other day, which went fine though. A lot of people dropped after the draft though so not that exciting.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Yeah I wish there was a way to punish people who drop out of drafts. Like make them ineligible for a new draft for 4 hours or something. As it stands now they can wait 30 minutes and be back drafting before I am done sitting through my first round bye :negative:

Obviously when we are playing with real assets I will be much happier with a first round bye since I am that much closer to getting paid. The way I am playing now, that is about my only hope of advancing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Man, I hope Eye of Creation doesn't get nerfed too hard because it is easily my favorite card right now.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

WayAbvPar posted:

Yeah I wish there was a way to punish people who drop out of drafts. Like make them ineligible for a new draft for 4 hours or something. As it stands now they can wait 30 minutes and be back drafting before I am done sitting through my first round bye :negative:

Obviously when we are playing with real assets I will be much happier with a first round bye since I am that much closer to getting paid. The way I am playing now, that is about my only hope of advancing.

I figure the best punishment would be they can't win and wasted their entry fee?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Whoa whoa, since when could we not choose which garden we would be a part of? IP based? What kind of bullshit is that? I don't want to be stuck with China because I live in Taiwan. I want to be able to play and trade with my US friends. I thought we could choose which garden we'd be a part of!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Afgad posted:

Whoa whoa, since when could we not choose which garden we would be a part of? IP based? What kind of bullshit is that? I don't want to be stuck with China because I live in Taiwan. I want to be able to play and trade with my US friends. I thought we could choose which garden we'd be a part of!

Go discuss it on the forums where this kinda thing is still open, maybe even send Cory an email about it.

Maybe they can change it to where you can play against everybody--but only trade cards within your garden.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Anyone having trouble playing? It takes Hex a long time to load up, usually sitting on the Cryptozoic splash screen for a while, and when I go to play, it just straight hangs.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

Go discuss it on the forums where this kinda thing is still open, maybe even send Cory an email about it.

Maybe they can change it to where you can play against everybody--but only trade cards within your garden.

I made a topic on the forums. I don't expect a reply but it's worth a shot. If it goes ignored on the forums for too long, I'll email Cory about it.

Also, I seriously dislike the idea that my pro player account will be worth less than a pro player account someone else bought, simply because I live in Taiwan. Fewer people to trade with, and they'll likely have lower costs in the "China" region than in the USA. So I get 44 PvP cards a week, but they're worth less in real dollars because I'm IP locked to a region filled with developing nations? It leaves a bad flavor in my mouth.

Anyway, I'll keep my rage down until it is actually confirmed on the forums that we can't choose our region.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I was under the impression that you could play with anyone. I thought the gardens were just for buy/sell/trading

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Afgad I'll keep an eye out for a cheap/free VPN service, I don't imagine that IP locking people into a region will be hard to get around - but yea I remember it previously being said that people could choose which garden to be in and so who they could trade with / etc, maybe it was just too hard for them to implement?

Edit: also just in case people weren't aware the HexTCGPro Challenge Series thing has a King Tier Kickstarter account as prizes for 1st and 2nd place

Grim fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 3, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Grim posted:

Afgad I'll keep an eye out for a cheap/free VPN service, I don't imagine that IP locking people into a region will be hard to get around - but yea I remember it previously being said that people could choose which garden to be in and so who they could trade with / etc, maybe it was just too hard for them to implement?

Edit: also just in case people weren't aware the HexTCGPro Challenge Series thing has a King Tier Kickstarter account as prizes for 1st and 2nd place

Thanks Grim. I'd probably just use Cyberghost if it comes to that. They're tolerable even when free. Thankfully Hex doesn't need a lot of bandwidth.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

I bought the slacker backer on the last week it was available. And from my few days of constructed playing, it feels like players are too invested in alpha's current meta.
I would think that both the fact that we're in alpha, and that we're given a full playset of every card in the game, this is the best possible opportunity to explore and experiment.
Yet maybe 2 out of 3 players I find in constructed are running some form of EoC/Puck, while the other 1/3 are either running a deck that counters it or is a new player like myself.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Remb posted:

I bought the slacker backer on the last week it was available. And from my few days of constructed playing, it feels like players are too invested in alpha's current meta.
I would think that both the fact that we're in alpha, and that we're given a full playset of every card in the game, this is the best possible opportunity to explore and experiment.
Yet maybe 2 out of 3 players I find in constructed are running some form of EoC/Puck, while the other 1/3 are either running a deck that counters it or is a new player like myself.

One issue is that with EoC being as strong as it is makes it hard to experiment, because EoC will just destroy you.

Also, some people will win any game at any cost even (especially) when there's nothing on the line. Because some people can't handle losing.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Remb posted:

What's your keep name Remb? I experiment a ton (I'm a total Johnny) and I'd love to play with you if I see you on. I do all sorts of crazy stuff that usually is not viable at all (but sometimes is pretty good!)

My name is Solaris in game.

Even so, I don't know of any good way to counter those puck/EoC decks. But maybe someday! Until then, I'm playing limited.

Edit: I also see DMW45 on a lot. I believe he's a goon, and he's an over-all nice guy. I forgot which goon he is, though.

Double edit: I also want to debate the idea that now is the best time to experiment. Certainly it is the easiest time to experiment, but it's also the easiest time to copy other people. Once things get more limited, it will be very difficult for people to build those puck/EoC decks simply because they won't have the cards. I actually think open beta will also be a good time to experiment and actually get rewards for your experimentation.

Or we could just bank on our huge kickstarter rewards and build EoC/Puck decks and crush the guys who don't have those cards.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 5, 2014

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Afgad posted:

Edit: I also see DMW45 on a lot. I believe he's a goon, and he's an over-all nice guy. I forgot which goon he is, though.

That'd be me, thanks.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

My keep name is the same as here -- Remb. Anyone can feel free to add me.

Right now I'm messing with a suicide burn blood orc deck, also I'm working on a deck built around Angel of Dawn.
I want to sink my teeth into constructed, but I notice some people play me and decline after one game.

The blood burn deck can take those green ramp decks occasionally, maybe with some tweaks and experience I can compete with them (maybe). I think Inquisition is a powerful card, even in limited.
Draft is probably alpha's focal point right now since it's relatively new, so I do that most of the day.
Figure people who want to get a feel for this set are probably sticking with limited while the netdeckers do their thing.

On another note, I'm not sure if I like these player hosted tournaments with prize pools in alpha's current state.
Forget about the green ramp deck, many cards are still bugged. I've submitted 3 reports on cards and CZE already confirmed 2 of them.
It also exacerbates the netdecking thing, because people are going to practice with the best deck they know, to win, because prizes are on the line.

Afgad posted:

I also want to debate the idea that now is the best time to experiment. Certainly it is the easiest time to experiment, but it's also the easiest time to copy other people. Once things get more limited, it will be very difficult for people to build those puck/EoC decks simply because they won't have the cards. I actually think open beta will also be a good time to experiment and actually get rewards for your experimentation.
I'd imagine once the monetized phase rolls in and trading/AH starts up on top of KS payouts, people will be building those decks within a week.
You'll probably even see some within 24 hours. Money flies fast when a person gets into a competitive mindset.
Right now I can make a deck for free with 12 legendaries, decide it's garbage, and throw it away. That's pretty neat.
Open beta might have an advantage though because someone can queue up their deck and grind it against a variety of opponents.

Remb fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 5, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Remb posted:

I'd imagine once the monetized phase rolls in and trading/AH starts up on top of KS payouts, people will be building those decks within a week.
You'll probably even see some within 24 hours. Money flies fast when a person gets into a competitive mindset.
Right now I can make a deck for free with 12 legendaries, decide it's garbage, and throw it away. That's pretty neat.
Open beta might have an advantage though because someone can queue up their deck and grind it against a variety of opponents.

I agree, but I think that will be a very small part of the overall population, certainly not enough for every casual "on-demand" tournament or proving-grounds 1v1 match to be swamped with them. Players can want to win without wanting to spend a ton of cash (they may not even have the ability to do so).

In set tournaments with pre-arranged times and big prize pools, yeah, you're probably right. All the people willing to shell out more than the customary $1 will pit their various green decks against one another in a vicious dinosaur bloodbath.

As for customizing, certainly the most options are available to play with right now. But like you said, the variety to play against isn't that great because of copying. Hopefully goons can band together to address that problem.

Going back to my note on regions: I posted in the forum but there hasn't been a response from the devs yet. Here it is if anyone is interested: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=34326

I'll give it a few more days then hit Cory up in an email (or call him.)

Edit: I tried to add you Remb but it says "Remb already requested you." But you don't show up in my pending queue. I'm not sure what's going on.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 5, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I haven't played in a couple months -- could someone send me a link to the "hot" combos right now?

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I haven't played in a couple months -- could someone send me a link to the "hot" combos right now?

Outside of green I've come across a blue control deck that locks you down with Menacing Gralk and bounce.
There's probably a lot more out there but I'm new at this.

v829 patch notes are out.
It's been delayed due to bugs in the current build, but you can see a few strong cards in the nerf list.
Also looks like they want to make the shin'hare theme deck a lot stronger.

Afgad posted:

I tried to add you Remb but it says "Remb already requested you." But you don't show up in my pending queue. I'm not sure what's going on.

I resent with /unfriend and /friend command. See if it's pending now. If not try unfriending me and send again.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, a good combo I've been using, I mentioned this earlier, but I like Mirror Knight + Hideous Conversion + Eldrich Dreamer (Gem of Cruelty). That way you can play a troop, sac for a card draw, attack with the dreamer and put the troop back in your hand. Even better with cards with on death or enter play abilities.

You can also sub in Hop'hiro for Hideous Conversion, though HC also gives Hop'hiro transformation counters without costing mana, or Xentoth's Inquisitor for Eldrich Dreamer as it'll just go back in your hand anyway.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I dont know if it's intended or what but with multiple Mirror Knights in play a troop will draw extra cards for each time it was inspired - combined with Hideous Conversion being able to sac creatures at will and a few ways of getting them back in hand that can be pretty rad; as a test I just drew my entire deck from about 12 turns into the game (by that time of course there was a clear winner already so whatever)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Grim posted:

I dont know if it's intended or what but with multiple Mirror Knights in play a troop will draw extra cards for each time it was inspired - combined with Hideous Conversion being able to sac creatures at will and a few ways of getting them back in hand that can be pretty rad; as a test I just drew my entire deck from about 12 turns into the game (by that time of course there was a clear winner already so whatever)

Not only that but if you inspire an inquisitor with the mirror knight, sac it, and put it back into play, it gets inspired again. So you can end up with situations where you can just draw obscene amounts of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

BenRGamer posted:

I figure the best punishment would be they can't win and wasted their entry fee?

I meant during alpha. I have limited play time and wasting it waiting around to play isn't my idea of fun. Just happened to me again, in fact. Reading SA because I got a first round bye after waiting almost the entire 20 minutes for deck building. Really starting to get irritating.

• Locked thread