Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Tetraptous posted:

Yes, I'm aware of Nyquist--but 192 kHz is still way way above that!

Then I think I misread your post, but I'm gonna leave my thing there since I'm certain there's at least a person or two who might find it informative in combination with your post about the limits of human hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

ErIog posted:

I agree with the overall point you're making here, but your reasoning is wrong. You're comparing two different things here. 44 kHz sampling can only reproduce sound frequencies up to 22 kHz because you need to capture both the peak and the valley of the wave in order to represent it digitally. So in order to reproduce your example of a 20 kHz tone you would need a minimum sampling rate of 40 kHz.

Digital audio sampling rate is not the same thing as the frequency of a tone despite both being measured in Hertz.

Yep. When sampling at a frequency of X, you're guaranteed to perfectly capture any signal whose content is below X/2 (the Nyquist frequency). The difficulty is that if there's any content above X/2, that's going to introduce error, in the form of aliasing. In order to guarantee that it's perfectly captured, you have to filter off that content. And that's a pain in the rear end to do in analog circuitry; most analog low-pass filters are nowhere close to ideal sinc.

This is actually the main reason that studios started working in 96KHz/192KHz in the early 90s -- it meant you had plenty of headroom in the signal's spectrum to capture without aliasing. Then, when you were done mastering, you'd decimate to 44.1KHz with an antialiasing filter.

These days, it's less important, because almost all audio-grade ADCs are oversampling anyways.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You also have stuff like Super Audio CD's 2.822 megahertz sampling, which is done at a 1 bit depth.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

if it means more Oingo Boingo/Satan Danny Elfman and less "needly needly bum bum lalalalala" Tim Burton soundtrack autopilot Danny Elfman then I can't hate it too much

The songs really made the original and I hope this happens. Either way, it won't be as good without Hervé Villechaize.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hey guys remember those muscle pads that you strap around your fat, slovenly gut, that do your workout for you?

Remember how you could instantly tell they were bullshit?

Well gently caress you we made em smaller and now you can strap em to your chest too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVCS58XX39Y

It's raised $76,000.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smartmio-the-world-s-first-connected-wearable-sports-muscle-stimulator

I can't help but wonder if a big reason for these workout machines is because of the old mention that Bruce Lee apparently used similar setups when he slept, so people figure it must work because a martial arts icon once did something similar.

Greyhawk posted:

you can

the question is do you really want to?

Don't doubt a person with an Crimean anime avatar.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't help but wonder if a big reason for these workout machines is because of the old mention that Bruce Lee apparently used similar setups when he slept, so people figure it must work because a martial arts icon once did something similar.

Isn't diet a big part of weight loss/control as well? I mean, exercise is important, but I recall reading somewhere that the vast majority of what developed nations eat is very high in fat and the like.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommissarMega posted:

Isn't diet a big part of weight loss/control as well? I mean, exercise is important, but I recall reading somewhere that the vast majority of what developed nations eat is very high in fat and the like.

America's been on a low fat kick for decades now, it just gets replaced by other basic nutrients in high amounts.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Install Windows posted:

America's been on a low fat kick for decades now, it just gets replaced by other basic nutrients in high amounts.

other basic nutrients = corn syrup

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Don't act like it's different than other sugars, thanks.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Install Windows posted:

Don't act like it's different than other sugars, thanks.

b-b-but...5% difference between sucrose and fructose compared to table sugar!!! :byodame:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

b-b-but...5% difference between sucrose and fructose compared to table sugar!!! :byodame:

All refined sugars are poison :smug:

(Seriously though high fructose corn syrup is terrible for you)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, just not appreciably moreso than any other sugar, it's just that hfcs is in everything so you get more of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And Sodium. Lots of Sodium.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
HFCS is terrible for you, but refined carbs in general aren't great for you. Eat more whole grains, veggies and proteins that aren't fried thanks.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Hard-hitting stuff:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/04/01/Crowdfund-it-and-they-will-come

quote:

Crowdfunding is a great liberal idea--that might just be the saving of conservatives.

So crowdfunding, for those who don't know--and many conservatives don't--is a new way of funding a creative project if you want to record an album, publish a book, put on a play, make a podcast, produce a movie or documentary, or basically any artistic endeavor.

If you can't get funding from an established record company, studio, theater, or publisher, you go to one of the crowdfunding sites, put up your pitch, and ask the public to fund your artistry. The idea is that crowdfunding allows the artist to bypass the establishment gatekeepers – go straight to the public and give the public true art.
And so far it has worked well. Kickstarter, one of the first and most prominent crowdfunding sites, has so far raised over $1 billion for projects. This is money that goes straight into the hands of artists (minus the commission of around 5 percent taken by the sites) so that the artist can create.

Liberals were the early adapters to crowfunding--which is probably not surprising because they dominate the arts. Kickstarter and other sites are dominated by projects supporting the usual liberal causes. There are, of course, a lot of nonpolitical projects, but where there is politics it is almost exclusively left-wing. These projects encompass the usual topics: America is horrible, America is really really horrible, horrible America is full of really horrible people, etc., etc.

Crowdfunding is also losing its slightly grungy, left-wing feel to become a solid establishment left-wing playground. Spike Lee--despite owning a Manhattan home valued at $32 million and a house in the Hamptons--decided that he needed to go on Kickstarter to fund a movie. He raised $1.4 million, which came through in suspiciously large chunks that suggested it was more rich friends helping another rich friend than a grassroots revolution.

There is another reason that liberals have taken to Kickstarter and conservatives have been slow to adapt. Liberals are politically inclined towards collectivism. They like groups--they love protesting, doing things, and joining up, whereas Conservatives are politically more individualistic--they want to be left alone, they don't want to be part of a group (except maybe for their family), and they don't like crowds telling them to do anything.
However, crowdfunding represents an opportunity for conservatives. On the liberal side it's difficult to really point to any new ideas or artistic movements that have come out of crowdfunding. Rather than create original ideas, crowd funding has just opened a different method of funding for the same old ideas. According to Kickstarter, ten percent of the movies shown at Sundance this year were funded through the website. Now I didn’t see all the films that were premiered at Sundance (I don’t get paid enough--possibly no one gets paid enough for that), but I think its pretty safe to say that they were fairly standard liberal creations.
This is where conservatives should spot an opportunity. Their ideas are not permeating the artistic community; their films are not being made, and the gatekeepers are really busy ensuring that the gates are closed to such ideas.

So conservatives now have an opportunity to take the means of production and make a product, and as the means of distribution become more and more diverse, then there are more and more opportunities to tell the stories that are important.

Of course, it's never that easy. We successfully crowdfunded our last film, FrackNation--the truth about fracking--through Kickstarter.

So we thought it would be the ideal venue for our new film about Philadelphia abortionist Kermit Gosnell. He is currently serving several life sentences for murdering babies at his clinic. According to a grand jury report, he murdered hundreds of babies by inducing labour when women were seven or eight months pregnant and then stabbing the live, viable babies in the neck to kill them. He was at this for 40 years and probably killed thousands in his killing career. He is America’s most prolific serial killer.

So we submitted our pitch for GosnellMovie.com as usual, but Kickstarter kept delaying and delaying, and then Kickstarter tried to censor us. They said we could only put the project on the site if we agreed not to upset the sensitivities of their community.

“Script looks good, but phrases like '1000s of babies stabbed to death' and '1000s of babies murdered' will need to be removed or modified to comply with the spirit of our Community Guidelines,” they told us.
This might be OK if it weren't for the fact that Kickstarter CEO Yancey Strickler in a PBS interview with Charlie Rose said:
We viewed Kickstarter as a public trust, this is a place of opportunity for anyone to make their thing happen and it's our jobs to be the stewards of it and to honor it... a living, breathing cultural institution that's there to represent the interests of everybody.

Well, apparently he wasn’t quite telling Rose the truth!

So we put GosnellMovie.com on the alternative Indiegogo site. They don’t censor… yet.

In just a few days we have raised $200,000. The Gosnell movie will be made.

Crowdfund it and they will come.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Jesus loving CHRIST. If I order a big mac before a conservative, it seems like their natural response is to fall to the floor kicking and screaming about persecution. Seriously, what is it with the right wing in the US? I've never seen a bigger collection of loving pussy-bitch-crybabies in my life.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

neongrey posted:

Yeah, just not appreciably moreso than any other sugar, it's just that hfcs is in everything so you get more of it.

The secret is that in every other developed country, they just use table sugar instead. Because America made regular table sugar really expensive in the 70s, which is the only reason corn syrup is competitive at all.

Table sugar, for wholesale purchases like for a food company, costs up to 3x less than in America in Canada, the UK, and so on. Incidentally they're all getting megafat just ever so slightly slower than America.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Install Windows posted:

The secret is that in every other developed country, they just use table sugar instead. Because America made regular table sugar really expensive in the 70s, which is the only reason corn syrup is competitive at all.

Table sugar, for wholesale purchases like for a food company, costs up to 3x less than in America in Canada, the UK, and so on. Incidentally they're all getting megafat just ever so slightly slower than America.

As a Scot I should point out that Scotland is in fact 2nd, just behind the USA. We loving love our sugar.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

lil mortimer posted:

Hard-hitting stuff:

"Seize the means of production and make them available for everyone!" And "collectivism works!". I'm not sure he's really got the hang of this conservatism thing.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So what about the atlas shrugs movie... Or the creationist movie... And I would assume there is dozens of stupid bible merchandise kick starters funded.

Dude just a big baby that has to make everything a war between left wing and right wing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shwqa posted:

So what about the atlas shrugs movie... Or the creationist movie... And I would assume there is dozens of stupid bible merchandise kick starters funded.

Dude just a big baby that has to make everything a war between left wing and right wing.

You've just reminded me that there is the Atlas Shrugged movie.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/atlas_shrugged_part_i/

:shrug:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Paladinus posted:

You've just reminded me that there is the Atlas Shrugged movie.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/atlas_shrugged_part_i/

:shrug:

Didn't they try to Kickstart the second movie in the series and failed miserably?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Morglon posted:

Didn't they try to Kickstart the second movie in the series and failed miserably?

Didn't they end up making that anyways though?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

moerketid posted:

As a Scot I should point out that Scotland is in fact 2nd, just behind the USA. We loving love our sugar.

Mexico is the fattest large country now (lots of small island countries like Tonga have crazy high fat rates, because they're all descendants of people who survived months-long canoe voyages with hardly any food).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Morglon posted:

The second movie came out with an entirely different cast.

! and the third part comes out this year!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

The first one wasnt the worst movie. They had good actors and a weak script. The second was poo poo acting and poo poo script.

The 3rd will just be Rush Limbaugh bellowing at some liberal strawman for 2 hours.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

theflyingorc posted:

Also with an entirely different cast!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Fauxtool posted:

The first one wasnt the worst movie. They had good actors and a weak script. The second was poo poo acting and poo poo script.

The 3rd will just be Rush Limbaugh bellowing at some liberal strawman for 2 hours.

So what you're telling me here is Atlas Sucked.

I'll show myself out.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Morglon posted:

So what you're telling me here is Atlas Sucked.

I'll show myself out.

My favorite was the gbs title. Atlus shrugged when asked about irony.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
In Greek mythology, Atlas did not hold up the Earth. He held up the Sky, which is entirely different. The Sky (Oranos) held himself up, staying as far as he could from Earth (Gaia) after their son Kronos hacked off the Sky's genitals.

Zeus punished the strongest of the Titans by giving him a completely worthless job. Atlas wasn't an essential part of the cosmology, he was extraneous.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Mexico is the fattest large country now (lots of small island countries like Tonga have crazy high fat rates, because they're all descendants of people who survived months-long canoe voyages with hardly any food).

Are they eating more to make up for what their ancestors missed out on?

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Amphigory posted:

As far as I have read, starvation/deprivation can cause metabolic damage that causes people to be more prone to gain/hold onto weight - from studies of people with eating disorders as teens as they go into a recovered adult life. But I have no idea whether that could apply to a population/generations (and the study could have counter-evidence etc - just throwing that out there).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Long time readers may be interested to hear that Doobie's Dog House has its grand opening in three weeks.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Amphigory posted:

They are descendants of people with more efficient metabolism and likely other traits that allow them to thrive in a low calorie environment. And now they live in an environment, where calories are cheap and plentiful.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jedit posted:

Long time readers may be interested to hear that Doobie's Dog House has its grand opening in three weeks.

No way.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Dear god

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Holy poo poo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did the vent hood finally materialize like manna from the heavens?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fauxtool posted:

did the vent hood finally materialize like manna from the heavens?

Last I heard Wayne was selling a whole heap of his personal possessions to raise the money for the fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
There's some info on that Facebook page, including a picture of the interior: