Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Would I be able to call up Sprint to have it deactivated? That's really loving annoying.

You can try, but Sprint doesn`t care about supporting ROMs or the Nexus devices. I`m sure you`ll recall for a long time they couldn`t even activate 64Gb Nexus 5.

You`ll probably have a really hard time even convincing anyone you talk to this is a legit issue. I only know about it because I was involved in VVM for awhile and actually had a lengthy conversations about these issues. Best of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Last time I had that issue, on my old Epic 4G running CM10, the number given in the text rang through to a prompt that let you disable VVM. Did that go away?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

thelightguy posted:

Last time I had that issue, on my old Epic 4G running CM10, the number given in the text rang through to a prompt that let you disable VVM. Did that go away?

I got through after trying a few times, and embarrassingly enough, it was confusing and I think I screwed up that chance to stop it. It says something to the effect of "Our system shows you are using a phone that accepts SMS voice messages. If you recently purchased a new phone that does not support this feature, press 2. If your phone supports this feature, press 1." I think I pressed 2? and it says "ok, you will continue to receive sms voice messages." Durr durr durr. Now when I dial in I get a standard voicemail system (with no messages, of course). :cripes:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well thanks guys. Now hopefully I can fix it and I won't get asked about it every single time she gets one.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 21, 2014

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
My family is moving to modesto ca this week and for work my wife and I will be going roundtrip from Sacramento ca to Portland Oregon on i5 the whole way 5x a week.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with phone and data service on this drive? We stream heavily, its not unusual to have 14 to 18 hours a day combined of radio streaming and some scattered Netflix. In there. We also need to be able to make calls as if were not streaming were on the phone.

Have a year left on our contract so between that and our data usage wed like to stay on sprint but if there's no service there's no point. We both have gs3's.

Thank you anyone who is able to help me out here!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You're going to be driving 18 hours a day for work? :what:

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
We are truck drivers. Each will drive about 10 1/2 hours before swapping drivers.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Judging from S4GRU and the official Sprint coverage map, you're going to have terrible to nonexistent service in your part of California for the remainder of 2014 (except around Red Bluff). Between Redding and Oregon, don't even expect coverage except in little pockets here and there. Check it out.

Oregon is well-covered though, and has seen many tower and network upgrades over the past year, so you've got that going for you.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
On the plus side, a lot of the towers along the route are 800Mhz voice complete, so your voice coverage may be a little better than what it currently shows on Sprint's site.

With that much usage, it will be painful to lose unlimited data if you have to switch to AT&T or Verizon.

If I were in your position, I would look into buying a Verizon customer's grandfathered unlimited data plan. It might cost a few hundred dollars to buy someone's account, and you'll have to buy your phones at full price off contract, but it will likely be cheaper than paying for data by the gigabyte. Though there is the risk that Verizon will kill off the grandfathered plans at some point.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

For the past month at least, the tower that serves my workplace (the most congested part of the county) will go from good 4g for a day or two, then drop and no data will work for a week or more. I notice other towers appear to switch 4g off and on also, but this particular one affects me the most.

I assume they're working on upgrades...any idea how long data purgatory will continue to last? A couple weeks I understand but this is getting silly. Zip is 29153.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

angryrobots posted:

For the past month at least, the tower that serves my workplace (the most congested part of the county) will go from good 4g for a day or two, then drop and no data will work for a week or more. I notice other towers appear to switch 4g off and on also, but this particular one affects me the most.

I assume they're working on upgrades...any idea how long data purgatory will continue to last? A couple weeks I understand but this is getting silly. Zip is 29153.
If you're getting no data for that long, you should definitely call and complain.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
They need to hurry up and finish Denver, poo poo is basically unusable there.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Shadokin posted:

My family is moving to modesto ca this week and for work my wife and I will be going roundtrip from Sacramento ca to Portland Oregon on i5 the whole way 5x a week.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with phone and data service on this drive? We stream heavily, its not unusual to have 14 to 18 hours a day combined of radio streaming and some scattered Netflix. In there. We also need to be able to make calls as if were not streaming were on the phone.

Have a year left on our contract so between that and our data usage wed like to stay on sprint but if there's no service there's no point. We both have gs3's.

Thank you anyone who is able to help me out here!

My iPhone 4S couldn't even keep a conversation going on the 5 between Sacramento and the 20. It got better south of Woodland into Sacramento proper, but it didn't approach what I would consider a good user experience once we were outside large metro areas. My 4S doesn't do 4G/LTE stuff, though, so maybe that would make a difference.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I burned an upgrade on a 5s this past Friday. I'm still really happy with my One so I might be flipping the iPhone in a couple days if it doesn't really grow on me. Anything special I need to do with Sprint beyond the usual wipe the phone etc?

BTW, the One has a Sense 6 port out now done by the same guy who made the rock solid Google Edition port. Reactivating my One to check it out :3:

Trip Report Edit: Sense 6 is basically a much more polished Sense 5.5 - the camera app in particular is so much nicer to use.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 24, 2014

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I now have the Kit Kat upgrade notification on my Note 3, and it scares the hell out of me. A quick search shows a LOT of people having problems after upgrading, although it does appear that booting into recovery and deleting the cache partition seems to help quite a bit for many of them. I'm still debating whether or not to go through with it... I love my Note 3. I don't want to hate it. :(

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

brc64 posted:

I now have the Kit Kat upgrade notification on my Note 3, and it scares the hell out of me. A quick search shows a LOT of people having problems after upgrading, although it does appear that booting into recovery and deleting the cache partition seems to help quite a bit for many of them. I'm still debating whether or not to go through with it... I love my Note 3. I don't want to hate it. :(

I updated my rom recently and saw this. Apparently once you go to kitkat you can't get back, and most of the roms out there seem to be in the beta phase. I'm holding off a couple months and letting the dust settle before I upgrade.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally getting a free airave, maybe I'll be able to make calls at home now.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

e.pilot posted:

Finally getting a free airave, maybe I'll be able to make calls at home now.
A lot of tower replacement work has been observed in Denver over the past month or two. Network Vision is coming any day now.

Any day now.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

td4guy posted:

A lot of tower replacement work has been observed in Denver over the past month or two. Network Vision is coming any day now.

Any day now.

Apparently it's done in the area around Colorado Springs that I live in.

Ironically that also seems to have coincided with my terrible voice service quality. :smith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Also trying to use any kind of data service in Littleton where I work or on the Auraria campus is an exercise in futility. :smithicide:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
But hey that speedy 5mbps or so I can get on the handful of LTE towers that are around is worth it, right?

Right?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is probably mentioned a little earlier and I missed it but does anyone have a framily id they don't mind letting me hop on? I'm tired of paying too much.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Wizard of Smart posted:

This is probably mentioned a little earlier and I missed it but does anyone have a framily id they don't mind letting me hop on? I'm tired of paying too much.
If you haven't found one already, my Framily ID is V01365575Kv (last four of phone 4385), only two lines right now but hopefully that'll change soon.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 1, 2014

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Picked up the LG G Flex a week ago. Everything is great, the feel, the size and the curve, it's fast and fluid in multitasking. But holy poo poo does it have the worst screen I've ever used on a phone. Burn in and image retention is so bad it's almost comical that they released it in this state. Beyond that, it's also grainy, uneven in color and backlighting, and splotchy in low brightness settings. Keeping the brightness at 75% or higher at least makes the screen usable.

Shame because everything else about the phone, especially the battery, is top notch. It was a really tough decision to keep the phone but I hated the galaxy s3 so much that I just can't consider the Note 3 a better alternative right now.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally got the Airave set up, making calls anywhere at home instead of on the 2nd floor by the window is nice.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I see that the HTC One (M8) is coming out in a Google Play edition. But it also says at the bottom of the page that, "Compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. Check with your carrier for details about coverage." Is there a way to use this phone with Sprint? People were buying Nexuses and getting a Sprint SIM card or something, weren't they? Is that an option for this phone, or no?

Is there another advantage to getting the phone from Google vs. Sprint, other than the lack of a 2-year contract? I guess it would let you switch carriers... Does it mean it'll also run stock Android vs. HTC Sense?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
loving great, I was JUST about to man up and bail, after years and years of promises and lovely service and reception, and... I see this Spark thing.

I live in Albany, CA, just north of Berkeley, and have poo poo speeds and reliability all over the Bay Area. If I ditch my SERO plan now, am I just going to experience bitter, bitter regret as Spark rolls out and flaunts 1GB/s in my face at the end of the year/next year?

I just realized this is the 7th year I've said "end of the year/next year" :negative:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

iluvpr0n posted:

I see that the HTC One (M8) is coming out in a Google Play edition. But it also says at the bottom of the page that, "Compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. Check with your carrier for details about coverage." Is there a way to use this phone with Sprint? People were buying Nexuses and getting a Sprint SIM card or something, weren't they? Is that an option for this phone, or no?

Is there another advantage to getting the phone from Google vs. Sprint, other than the lack of a 2-year contract? Does it mean it'll also run stock Android vs. HTC Sense?

No. The GPE HTC One is GSM/UMTS/LTE only. The Nexus 5 is unique in that regard. In order for a device to work on Sprint, they have to approve it for use on their CDMA and LTE networks. On Verizon, you can stick a Verizon SIM in an unlocked device with the right LTE bands and get LTE service but not CDMA voice and data. Doesn't work at all with Sprint.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

goku chewbacca posted:

No. The GPE HTC One is GSM/UMTS/LTE only. The Nexus 5 is unique in that regard. In order for a device to work on Sprint, they have to approve it for use on their CDMA and LTE networks. On Verizon, you can stick a Verizon SIM in an unlocked device with the right LTE bands and get LTE service but not CDMA voice and data. Doesn't work at all with Sprint.

Ahh, bummer. Shoulda figured - thanks for the education.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yellowjournalism posted:

loving great, I was JUST about to man up and bail, after years and years of promises and lovely service and reception, and... I see this Spark thing.

I live in Albany, CA, just north of Berkeley, and have poo poo speeds and reliability all over the Bay Area. If I ditch my SERO plan now, am I just going to experience bitter, bitter regret as Spark rolls out and flaunts 1GB/s in my face at the end of the year/next year?

I just realized this is the 7th year I've said "end of the year/next year" :negative:

Think of Spark as Premier Gold WiMax Network Vision nationwide LTE the next letdown.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

yellowjournalism posted:

The LTE speeds on my Galaxy S3 ranged from 1-7 mbps with the average speed being about 5mbps.

My spark enabled LG Flex routinely pulls down over 20mbps. Did they really say it would do 1gb/s?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tell me about this Framily plan poo poo.

Is there any sort of account master that can snoop on other account member's phone usage/call logs/etc?

How is the +$20 unlimited data and annual upgrade plan work compared to the current upgrade path? Are the phones subsidized the same amount?

What are any downsides to this plan?

---

Currently I have the option to get on a plan with some family members that would make my spouse and I's combined rate go down $20 if we spring for the unlimited data add-on and assuming the taxes and TEP charge are the same (I might drop TEP also but anyway). Could we be hosed if my family then leaves the plan and be unable to go back to the old plan with unlimited data + work discount setup we currently have?

edit: read back a page, it looks like current sprint customers might not be able to swap over to a framily plan is that accurate still (that it depends on the rep you talk to)?

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 2, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
There's a good chance I'll be switching to t-mo when my sprint contract is up, I held out for LTE and now that I have it and I'm barely hitting other carrier's 3G speeds, I'm just done with them.

I have t-mo on my iPad and hit 20-30mbit on LTE everywhere I've tried it, places I can't even hit 1mbit on sprint :smith:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The LTE speeds on my Galaxy S3 ranged from 1-7 mbps with the average speed being about 5mbps.

My spark enabled LG Flex routinely pulls down over 20mbps. Did they really say it would do 1gb/s?

It's theoretically possible to get something like 500mbps. This occurred in a lab (faraday cage), being able to get 20mbps would be amazing but more important is getting more bands/better bands that will reduce packet drops.

I'd be fine with just 2mbps if I could always get it. That would be enough to always stream audio and video just not HD. Anything past 5mbps (hd video stream minium) is really not all that useful for mobile except to get things done a tiny bit faster.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Stick100 posted:

It's theoretically possible to get something like 500mbps. This occurred in a lab (faraday cage), being able to get 20mbps would be amazing but more important is getting more bands/better bands that will reduce packet drops.

I'd be fine with just 2mbps if I could always get it. That would be enough to always stream audio and video just not HD. Anything past 5mbps (hd video stream minium) is really not all that useful for mobile except to get things done a tiny bit faster.

Jeez, Maybe Sprint in South Jersey is crazy good but I rarely drop below 10mbps on my single band S4. I average between 22-28 mbps with 50-60ms pings during the day. Back in 2011 I used to get just .5 mbps on 3G so Network Vision has been glorious.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

There's a good chance I'll be switching to t-mo when my sprint contract is up, I held out for LTE and now that I have it and I'm barely hitting other carrier's 3G speeds, I'm just done with them.

I have t-mo on my iPad and hit 20-30mbit on LTE everywhere I've tried it, places I can't even hit 1mbit on sprint :smith:

Tmobile will pay your ETF, and if you don't want to trade in your phone buy some cheap phone off eBay to trade in.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duckman2008 posted:

Tmobile will pay your ETF, and if you don't want to trade in your phone buy some cheap phone off eBay to trade in.

Interesting, how well would a sprint 5S work on their network?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

e.pilot posted:

My iPhone knowledge isn't as good as my Android knowledge but I'm pretty sure all the 5, 5C and 5S models are identical across carriers (as far as hardware goes) so it would work just fine, BUT, I'm pretty sure you have to jailbreak to unlock the SIM for domestic use.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

e.pilot posted:

Should work just fine as long as it isn't stolen or carrier-locked.

The whole single-SKU manufacturing process is something that's thankfully catching on. It makes updates consistent, private selling easier, and switching carriers a question of unlocking rather than hardware. I imagine it's cheaper for OEMs so it means they WANT to do it, snowflake variants at the behest of carriers be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

e.pilot posted:

It won't without working a lot of legwork from your end. Now TMo will buy your iPhone and happily sell you a new one and pay your ETF. Unfortunately you'll end up losing a couple $100 but you can spread that out over the next 24 months if that matters to you.