Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I really like the idea of a third version of Xenagos in this set. I hope that's something they do in the future if they don't do it here.

Also, I just 4-0d an April Fool's sealed. It was the slivers one, although there were few slivers to be seen on either side of the board of course. I built a U/R deck featuring Tradewind Rider, but after the first match I sided into a R/G build instead, since with green the curve was much better, had beefier guys lower on the curve, and the blue was kind of mediocre other than the rider. It was definitely a good move, the R/G build was actually a really solid deck, and I played fairly well also, so I'm quite happy with myself :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Elyv posted:

I don't think they reprint walkers outside of core sets because the cards are supposed to represent the character's evolutions

They haven't yet, at least, but if Planeswalker design space is as narrow as they claim I figure they'll do it eventually.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Notes From A Magic e-book
Part 1: Prologue

The prose has no flow to it. Overlong sentences welded together by commas and repetitious conjunctions, but the joins are so constant that everything is also abrupt and shortened. It's something of an achievement to make your writing both stutter and ramble simultaneously.

Daxos is a natural oracle as a kid, which means he understands and sees the languages and world of the gods. When he's very young, he can't sort it all out and his senses get overwhelmed. Somehow this also makes him frail and the size of a four year old when he's seven? Very different from the muscled and competent adult soldier on the card, which I guess will happen later. This also extends to vaguely defined poo poo like 'because he perceived the world in a multitude of complexity, he saw her grief like a prism'. What the crap does seeing grief like a prism mean?

He escapes an attempt at possession by Erebos and Athreos and happens on Elspeth as she arrives on Theros. Meanwhile, the gods are already locked in unusual and brutal battle in the sky, and Purphoros has divested himself of his hammer to use a sword for some reason. He knocks away Heliod's spear too - something where all the gods are going to lose their weapons? Fetch quest for later? The fight dislodges Polukranos from the heavens and drops him to earth.

Heliod calls on Kruphix, named as the eldest of the gods, to help him. He does, but warns that if any god again upsets the balance of Nyx in this way again, he will declare a Silence that binds them all to Nyx. Which is what we've been hearing leak out in mothership flavour articles about the problems happening during BNG.

Elspeth steals Purphoros' sword, which fell to earth when he was defeated. Scared by Heliod's appearance, she 'walks away while Daxos dedicates himself to the King of the Gods. This runs contra the flavour on Swordwise Centaur. Does she return later then, while still young?

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 2, 2014

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Attorney at Funk posted:

They haven't yet, at least, but if Planeswalker design space is as narrow as they claim I figure they'll do it eventually.

Where do they claim that? Seems to me Planeswalkers are one of the biggest design spaces they have open, especially if they give two mana walkers another, non-terrible shot.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Please continue to do these, this is a great way to get familiar with the lovely Magic books without having to read lovely Magic books!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ThirdEmperor posted:

Where do they claim that? Seems to me Planeswalkers are one of the biggest design spaces they have open, especially if they give two mana walkers another, non-terrible shot.

Mark Rosewater says it a lot. Basically the number of permutations of planeswalker abilities that result in coherent planeswalker cards is really small compared to how much room there is for all the other card types. That's why they extrapolate on the design so slowly - they're trying to conserve it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Jenx posted:

Please continue to do these, this is a great way to get familiar with the lovely Magic books without having to read lovely Magic books!

Sure, I might as well save people the time and a bob or two. It makes me think a bit more deeply about the book while I'm reading it and organises those thoughts more as well.

Part 2: Chapter One

This is up for free on the mothership, so go check that out if you want.

Ten years later ...

Xenagos is an arrogant poo poo. Like, gently caress this antihero revolutionary thing from speculation, what an absolute tit.
He’d always known there was something special about him, but his burden was truly unique. There must be some grand design because most mortals couldn’t have handled seeing the infinite planes— they would have gone mad with the knowledge. Only a mind like his could truly profit from the experience. But still, he had never asked for this ability. It was thrust on him in a moment of great weakness. And now he shouldered the responsibility of leading these bleating sheep . For he alone among mortals— and gods— knew what was best for them, what was best for this tiny speck of existence known as Theros.

He uses mind control to make the satyrs laugh at his bad jokes. Not even because he finds it funny to screw them, just because they don't really think his mockery of the gods is that hilarious (it isn't.) How is this guy R/G again?

Xenagos behaves in a vaguely predatory way towards a young human visitor. When he gets tired of the formal recital, he has the satyrs stone him to death while holding the poor guy under an ecstasy spell. Wonderful person. Xenagos does learn from him that Polukranos might have slipped free from the emergency bindings Heliod and Nylea put on it ten years ago.

Xenagos is holding an oracle of Kruphix captive. Keranos breaches the magic dome Xenagos had put up to keep out the gods' eyes. Kruphix confirms through his oracle that Polukranos is free and that the sword of Purphoros is linked to the World Eater's destiny. Mention of a lost city - perhaps the giant polis Polukranos had destroyed before it was taken up into Nyx? - being important too. Kind of revealing for the god of secrets, but it's at least phrased semi cryptically.

"He didn’t want to test his strength against a female"
Because he's afraid after his divine encounter? Because he's "chivalrous" in the Reddit vein? :shrug:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Green is the color with this card. Between being too stupid to realize his own problems and the red "I WANT THINGS MY WAY", he could be representing the pettiest loving parts of both colors.

And red can mind control, or rather induce madness.

Basically, Xenagos is freshly off of Reddit's red pill page.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ramos posted:

Green is the color with this card. Between being too stupid to realize his own problems and the red "I WANT THINGS MY WAY", he could be representing the pettiest loving parts of both colors.

And red can mind control, or rather induce madness.

Basically, Xenagos is freshly off of Reddit's red pill page.

His behavior there is waaaaaaay more Blue-Black than Red-Green.

I'm going to stick with my own, non-shittily characterized interpretation of Xenagos, thank you very much :colbert:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Notes from a Magic e-book

Part 3: Chapter Two

In which Elspeth has yet again decided to become an underappreciated fighter ignoring the other planes. This is at least the third time her story has hit this particular beat (a knight on Bant, gladiator in Urborg, mercenary on Theros) and there better be a new twist on it.

Suspicious activity from both leonin and minotaurs outside Akros which the mercenary group Elspeth is part of has been hired to investigate/guard against. They come under attack from frenzied satyrs, chanting Xenagos' 'title' of King Stranger (Kruphix's oracle also called him this). Which I guess you could very loosely derive from its Greek parts but that combination really means a guide *of* strangers so eh.

Elspeth is casting spells through Purphoros' sword and is fiercely protective of it, which I don't think was actually a thing in her previous appearances? Maybe the Mirrodin book but that was meant to be poo poo beyond even the normal Magic book standard so I haven't read it. Basically just extra emphasis on the themes of now without much regard for what went before. Whatever, sure, no need to sperg out over continuity.

Elspeth and her mercenary companion Xiro fight off the satyr attack, using the fact that they're blood maddened and will even cannibalise each other to their advantage. The satyrs are also distracted by smashing up emblems of the gods. The chapter finishes with them both bewildered by the sudden ferocity of the hippy satyrs and wondering what happened to the rest of their troop who were out on patrol.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

What happened to Brygus the Brave, I have to know

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

From the Planeswalker's guide to Journey Into Nyx:

Time for another Heroes' Reunion reprint! :unsmith:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Xenagos is holding an oracle of Kruphix captive. Keranos breaches the magic dome Xenagos had put up to keep out the gods' eyes. Kruphix confirms through his oracle that Polukranos is free and that the sword of Purphoros is linked to the World Eater's destiny. Mention of a lost city - perhaps the giant polis Polukranos had destroyed before it was taken up into Nyx? - being important too. Kind of revealing for the god of secrets, but it's at least phrased semi cryptically.

Wait. So, the oracle and deity shown in the BNG print of Divination is Kruphix talking to Prophet of Kruphix? I always though it was Keranos speaking with Stormcaller of Keranos through Epiphany Storm.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GoutPatrol posted:

From the Planeswalker's guide to Journey Into Nyx:

Time for another Heroes' Reunion reprint! :unsmith:

That Elspeth looked really weird, so I went and looked up her cards. She basically never has her hood down in art. The one other art she clearly does is Ardent Plea, and she doesn't look anything like that version. She has dark hair and asian facial features on Ardent Plea.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. So, the oracle and deity shown in the BNG print of Divination is Kruphix talking to Prophet of Kruphix? I always though it was Keranos speaking with Stormcaller of Keranos through Epiphany Storm.

Divination has very specific art in this block. The woman is Cymede of Anax and Cymede, and she is indeed getting visions from Keranos.

Action: Show Cymede, the queen of Akros. She is a devotee of the god Keranos. Show her in an open air temple and has cast a spell of prophecy. Cymede is looking into the night sky and in the sky is a scene of Mogis about to destroy a tiny city.

All the gods have oracles to convey the god language to their mortal followers - in fact, Xenagos gets pissed off that he's killed all his other captive oracles who served different gods because it means he has to talk to Kruphix's.

Part 4: Chapter 3

We get our first close up look at the gods here. Heliod tries to summon up Thassa from the sea and chases off an eavesdropping Keranos. The gods are continually shifting forms and causing massive waves, storms and shudders carelessly. It could be more powerful and more vivid but it's probably the best part of the books so far.

Heliod is schizophrenic as gently caress, which is particularly odd for the White ruler god. He likes Thassa, but then he insults her; he flatters her to make her sympathetic and then is abrupt, direct and angry. The narrative shows that he's afraid and furious so the reader can attribute most of his moodiness to that, but Thassa who can only hear his words should be staring at him like he's a nutter.

The conversation turns up the impossibility of passing from Nyx to the fundament or back unless you're a god. HEY GUYS WE HAVE A SET CALLED JOURNEY INTO NYX OK. Purphoros' sword was an exception, possibly because it has some association with 'chaos' (this could be the Greek meaning of primordium and void or the more usual havoc and disorder meaning, it's not made clear.) The reminder of this sets Heliod's paranoia going.

It's more than that, though. Fragments of the night sky are falling, which I suppose leads to the Nyxborn/Born of the Gods. Kruphix sent a dove messenger to Heliod to tell him about his worries. Heliod is even dreaming, which he shouldn't be able to do, and the dreams are of void which limits his reach.

Thassa taunts Heliod until he gets fed up. He kidnaps her and drags her off toward the entrance to the underworld, where Daxos was during the attempt at possession. Giant pieces of Nyx really have fallen to earth there, and there's only void where they once were. Thassa makes some vague intimations about Polukranos stirring and how the waves will drown everything for her. Heliod is angry and in denial about the hydra, but also sad at how opposed Thassa has become to him and the fact that she won't see how hosed the world is getting. She attacks him and actually manages to hurt him outside Nyx - another supposed impossibility. He hits back with his spear while she's shifting forms and absolutely wrecks her. He leaves her bleeding on the earth among the Nyx fragments.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 2, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So Daniel Ljunggren does art for a lot of artifacts and equipment. http://tinyurl.com/pvnvjyq

This image seems to focus tightly on Elspeth's weapon. Pretty sure we're getting a Godsend equipment.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 2, 2014

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Why are Elspeth's arms different lengths?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

jassi007 posted:

That Elspeth looked really weird, so I went and looked up her cards. She basically never has her hood down in art. The one other art she clearly does is Ardent Plea, and she doesn't look anything like that version. She has dark hair and asian facial features on Ardent Plea.
She doesn't look all that asian to me

Plus, I seem to remember reading about the various Planeswalkers' closest nationality matches. Sarkhan Vol was (supposed to be) asian, Liliana Vess was arabic, and Elspeth was...eastern European, I think?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Veyrall posted:

She doesn't look all that asian to me

Plus, I seem to remember reading about the various Planeswalkers' closest nationality matches. Sarkhan Vol was (supposed to be) asian, Liliana Vess was arabic, and Elspeth was...eastern European, I think?

I knew someone was going to object to me saying she had asian features. Whatever. These two people don't look like each other.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

I knew someone was going to object to me saying she had asian features. Whatever. These two people don't look like each other.

Can planeswalkers still change their appearance at will or is that strictly an old-walker thing?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

jassi007 posted:

I knew someone was going to object to me saying she had asian features
Not calling you out or anything, just mostly using the excuse to post the old art for people to compare.

Madmarker posted:

Can planeswalkers still change their appearance at will or is that strictly an old-walker thing?
That's an old-walker thing. I seem to remember Tevesh Szat doing that a lot. I think Jace uses illusions to do kinda the same thing, and Liliana looks drastically different as she kills more of the demons who have contracts on her soul, but I wanna say most PWs are stuck looking the way they look.

Though I suppose nothing is stopping Elspeth from dyeing her hair...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Veyrall posted:

Not calling you out or anything, just mostly using the excuse to post the old art for people to compare.
That's an old-walker thing. I seem to remember Tevesh Szat doing that a lot. I think Jace uses illusions to do kinda the same thing, and Liliana looks drastically different as she kills more of the demons who have contracts on her soul, but I wanna say most PWs are stuck looking the way they look.

Though I suppose nothing is stopping Elspeth from dyeing her hair...

The style is different, she looks swarthy in the second image and eurasian in the first. She looks like two different ethnicities.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Bring on the spoilers :fap:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Part 5: Chapter Four

Elspeth angsts in front of a mirror and reminisces about Ajani. Mentions her time in Urborg and calls out Elesh Norn's minions specifically when thinking about New Phyrexia. Wizards do seem to be pushing the idea that White won the NPH war.

It may have taken a bloody battle, but Elspeth is now going to do something about the planes she ends up on always going to poo poo. She decides she'll try to seek out the dark side of Theros and prepare for it. She hopes the gods can keep it pure but will still move on her own initiative. I like this this: Elspeth's character has always been steadfastly reactive and you'd hope she'd get a clue after a while that her planes aren't just going to be cheerfulness and light just because she wants them to.

Akros' approach to its metics is interesting for a Greekish city. It confines them to their own quarter and takes a punitive toll for going in and out. Mercenary work pays well enough though, so Elspeth goes off into the city proper. Later we'll discover that Anax is getting even more restrictive on foreign citizens' rights. Sparta, the analogous state from our time, got it over with and just banned metics. Foreigners weren't allowed to permanently or semipermanently live in the city.

Xiro gives Elspeth directions for her investigation and she ends up in a secret den full of stoned dudes. King Stranger, Xenagos' tag, is scrawled across the walls alongside 'lewd pictures in graphic detail'. Elspeth has left her sword behind, which seems out of character both because she's been so careful about it in the book so far and because it seems really unprepared.

Turns out this place is the Temple of Deception, Phenax's shrine. Or the Temple proper is further in and the Xenagos worshippers were in a kind of antechamber? The gods already don't like Xenagos much, why Phenax would let this happen in his Temple I don't know. Deception though, so maybe there is a purpose.

She meets the temple's priest. Apparently Xiro was cast out by noble, victorious Iroas and has some links to Phenax now. He still overtly worships Iroas and named the mercenaries after him, so whether that's a relic of his past or something that's ongoing isn't clear. There's lots of circumlocution and not getting to the topic - again, appropriate for Phenax - but it's pretty clear that the Priest is an assassin who does dirty work for worshippers that want people dead. Elspeth has come here for the unvarnished truth about the gods, not tainted by visions of glory. Though really, the god of deception's temple is where you've gone to find the truth?

Priest is called Sarpedon. This is the name of one of the more noble heroes of the Iliad and not exactly fitting for an assassin. He reveals that he's an oracle and talks a bit about what that means. Oracles give the gods a smaller view in the world than they natively get - which seems pointless, except that it allows the gods to notice human details they otherwise would dismiss. A god can't kill another god's oracle, but an oracle can do whatever they like. Sarpedon thinks it's still a poo poo life despite the honour because 'being an oracle means devastation. An oracle is consumed by the god who chose him.'

Elspeth wants to know how to gain the gods' favour. Sarpedon tells her to request an ordeal (oh unsubtle game references.) He gets seriously close in her face, hand on her hip, and uses magic to probe her mind. She permits him, but lets him know that she knows. He discovers the knowledge of other planes in her head and basically cacks himself. Beings higher than the gods? Uh, poo poo, that's crazy and one hell of a theological problem. Through him, Phenax now knows of planeswalkers and that Elspeth is one. But Sarpedon is seriously into worshipping her and despite the knowledge that his god will punish him, tells her to seek out Heliod to achieve what she wants.

Phenax briefly meets Thassa and is pissed off at her deception, because she supposedly told the other gods that the sea had taken Purphoros' sword and Elspeth proves that handily wrong. Thassa blows him off and prepares for a war between the gods that she has dreaded.

We're now at about the halfway mark.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

jassi007 posted:

So Daniel Ljunggren does art for a lot of artifacts and equipment. http://tinyurl.com/pvnvjyq

This image seems to focus tightly on Elspeth's weapon. Pretty sure we're getting a Godsend equipment.

*snip*

Godsend is a good name for a sword, but I just realized how weird it is that it's not an enchantment, since it either came from Heliod or was blessed by him, right? I mean, I know the actual answer is that Elspeth was created before Nyx, but I wonder if they'll tie it into the lore.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Turns out this place is the Temple of Deception, Phenax's shrine. Or the Temple proper is further in and the Xenagos worshippers were in a kind of antechamber? The gods already don't like Xenagos much, why Phenax would let this happen in his Temple I don't know. Deception though, so maybe there is a purpose.

It was mentioned in some of the lore articles that Phenax is the only god to enjoy Xenagos loving with everything because it instills a measure of chaos which he can use to his advantage for whatever goals he has. So having Xenagos' followers sheltered in his temple seems fitting.

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009

Boxman posted:

Godsend is a good name for a sword, but I just realized how weird it is that it's not an enchantment, since it either came from Heliod or was blessed by him, right? I mean, I know the actual answer is that Elspeth was created before Nyx, but I wonder if they'll tie it into the lore.

Maybe they'll come up with something about how it leaving Theros breaks its ties to Nyx/the gods?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Boxman posted:

Well, they've already said they can't do Legendary Enchantment Artifact - Equipment so one of those will have to be absent from the card. I'd say the most likely to be absent is the Enchantment part. doesn't the same story say her sword was something Purphoros used but lost in a previous god-fight? It probably should be an enchanment being from Nyx and all, but it isn't actually one of the god's weapons and only their poo poo is enchantment-y. Or maybe it won't be legendary because they also said only legendaries in Theros block are gods and god things?

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 2, 2014

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'm guessing the ambiguity between the sword being named God's End and Godsend is intentional, seeing how she got the sword and how she intends to use it.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Would anyone be interested in a Goon MTGO League? I am thinking of starting a thread similar to the Poke League thread. If enough people are interested I will start it up. Besides coordinating on games and tournaments, we should have a goon trade bot to pool commons so we can all benefit from it as well.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

jassi007 posted:

Or maybe it won't be legendary because they also said only legendaries in Theros block are gods and god things?

Hythonia, Anthoussa, etc prove otherwise.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mindisgone posted:

Would anyone be interested in a Goon MTGO League? I am thinking of starting a thread similar to the Poke League thread. If enough people are interested I will start it up. Besides coordinating on games and tournaments, we should have a goon trade bot to pool commons so we can all benefit from it as well.

Yes

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

jassi007 posted:

The style is different, she looks swarthy in the second image and eurasian in the first. She looks like two different ethnicities.

Different artists, Alara was 5 years ago. People look differently just in different sets, to try and get that kind of block-by-block consistency is hard enough. Every time they print a Planeswalker it looks a little different.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

gang sines posted:

Why are Elspeth's arms different lengths?

Elspeth comes from a long line of boxers; having one longer arm to keep distance and jab with is ideal and when the fight moves inside she's not disadvantaged by her length, still able to throw hooks with abandon.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chorocojo posted:

Hythonia, Anthoussa, etc prove otherwise.

maybe it was legendary enchantments are only god stuff? It was something about the reason why chromanticore couldn't be a legendary.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gyshall posted:

Bring on the spoilers :fap:

Are those starting this week?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Are those starting this week?

Next week.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

jassi007 posted:

Well, they've already said they can't do Legendary Enchantment Artifact - Equipment so one of those will have to be absent from the card. I'd say the most likely to be absent is the Enchantment part. doesn't the same story say her sword was something Purphoros used but lost in a previous god-fight? It probably should be an enchanment being from Nyx and all, but it isn't actually one of the god's weapons and only their poo poo is enchantment-y. Or maybe it won't be legendary because they also said only legendaries in Theros block are gods and god things?

I would imagine there's some weirdness with the sword, which either made it possible to go from being a nyx weapon to a mortal weapon or it was a mortal weapon all along and Purphoros took it into Nyx.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kabanaw posted:

I would imagine there's some weirdness with the sword, which either made it possible to go from being a nyx weapon to a mortal weapon or it was a mortal weapon all along and Purphoros took it into Nyx.

I just hope its a good new mythic equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

It was mentioned in some of the lore articles that Phenax is the only god to enjoy Xenagos loving with everything because it instills a measure of chaos which he can use to his advantage for whatever goals he has. So having Xenagos' followers sheltered in his temple seems fitting.

Ta.

Part 6: Chapter 5

We meet Purphoros properly. Kruphix punished him for the big fight ten years ago by loving up his memories really badly. It comes across rather like Alzheimer's in the chapter: I suspect the author is drawing on her knowledge of it or something similar in the real world. Still fairly effective at making me feel sorry him - he might have done crazy poo poo but he's the most sympathetic character so far. Robbed of some of his divine knowledge, Purphoros holes up in a mountain on Theros and refuses to go to Nyx. He stays in roughly mortal form all the time, feels the pain of mortals and angsts like a mortal (and despises himself for that last bit.)

A cocky satyr, presumably Xenagos, turns up to ask about the sword of chaos. Purphoros, like the other gods, believes it was lost to Thassa. He also disagrees with Xenagos that the sword was his best work - instead, he thinks it's a Nyxborn called Petros who is a quasi mortal twin of Purphoros created when Purphoros was jealous of Iroas and Mogis having each other as brothers. Apparently the fact that they fight all the time passed him by? Petros still retains much of the knowledge that was stripped from his creator and helps him with the forge in their mountain bolthole. Xenagos freaks out massively when he sees the god's twin. He recovers enough to bluff the forgetful god into thinking that Xenagos is an unremembered oracle of his, then quickly departs ('walking?), somehow stealing away Petros unnoticed as Thassa comes to call.

Thassa brings out some of Purphoros' anger at Heliod, resentment which seems to have been around ever since they set up their pantheon, Heliod appointed himself ruler, and the mortals gave him more respect that Purphoros. Thassa asks about Purphoros creating another weapon to fight Heliod, and Purphoros barely recalls that someone recently asked him about his sword. (He's also either utterly incurious or has forgotten that he thinks Thassa has the sword because he doesn't question her looking for it at all.) It's very :smith:

Thassa agrees with me and is righteously pissed off with Kruphix. The two gods depart their mountain and fly around in a flurry of omens and outrageously destructive natural disasters. Purphoros manages some forging, even seeming to create a Nyxborn chimera which is one of the things he should have forgotten how to do. Unless the 'cosmos' that he no longer has the skill to forge with is the chaos of the sword and not Nyx? Or he forgot for a time earlier in the chapter and thought that he had always been stripped of the knowledge of how to make this stuff? This chimera will hunt down the sword, then Purphoros will take it back and annihilate whoever stole it. Thassa thinks to herself that she already knows who has it thanks to Phenax, and that Polukranos is going to be following the sword too. She doesn't tell Purphoros any of this for no readily apparent reason but hopes he will regain his memory and pride when he gets his hands on the sword and that he'll make all the gods equal with no king over them.

She names the chimera Galaia, which is meant to be a compliment but the nearest ancient Greek equivalent means 'weasel' and there's an expression 'to have a weasel' which means to have a run of bad luck so that's kind of hosed up.

• Locked thread