Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Collateral Damage posted:

Paying off your mortage counts as saving, right? :ohdear:

You're building equity, so yes, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

ReelBigLizard posted:

I know too many hard working folks who are hosed to ever dare say this to anyone.

Well, that's what worked for me.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

adary posted:

Well, that's what worked for me.

I'm not saying hard work isn't the key to success, I'm just saying it's no guarantee. Sometimes life will just throw you a heap of poo poo and you have to eat it and all your hard work is washed away in a blink of an eye.

And success isn't everything either. A friend of mine used to work in premium a care home, she got to hear a lot of last words from the mouths of millionaires. Most wished they hadn't spent so much time at work.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm not saying hard work isn't the key to success, I'm just saying it's no guarantee. Sometimes life will just throw you a heap of poo poo and you have to eat it and all your hard work is washed away in a blink of an eye.

And success isn't everything either. A friend of mine used to work in premium a care home, she got to hear a lot of last words from the mouths of millionaires. Most wished they hadn't spent so much time at work.

A valid point.

I still have my toys though and enjoy quality time with the family. Guess I have a nice balance between work and fun

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What was that quote I've heard...."If hard work was a valid measure of success every woman in Africa would be a millionaire"?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

What was that quote I've heard...."If hard work was a valid measure of success every woman in Africa would be a millionaire"?

Sounds about right. Read The Joys of Motherhood for more hard work and poverty.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Slavvy posted:

Honestly, when I was 20 and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, I didn't picture being 26 and still living pay to pay, getting financially steamrolled by the slightest setback and just being a massive failure in pretty much every way. My friends have all surpassed me enormously by now and I've basically never felt worse about myself and my situation. I don't know how many more times I can keep bouncing back (which I've been doing continuously for half a decade) before I just run out of energy and peg the speedo off a bridge. I feel like there was a manual on succeeding at life that got handed out around age 17 and I was sick on the day, and everyone around me knows something I don't. I don't have kids, don't smoke, barely ever do drugs, barely drink, don't have any real debt, but I still feel like I'm drowning. Gotta keep getting back up I guess :unsmith:

The e/n derail is now at an end, we return to your regular programming: HNasty Hates Hipsters.

Apologies for continuing a derail, but at 26, I was largely dead broke too, even having a decent job and doing all the right things money-wise. Taxes, expenses, whatever ate into any potential savings and unlike you I had about ten grand in credit card debt. At 38, things have gotten a bunch better, but realize that savings are fragile thing. Just hang in there. :unsmith:

nsaP posted:

I've lived in Africa and while hard work isn't automatically going to make anyone a millionaire or even provide the comforts and conveniences any American is used to, thrift and industry provides a for relative wealth. The difference in living conditions between the industrious and the lazy was obvious.

I think it's good to count one's successes as a blessing and understand that illness or injury can wipe someone out very quickly.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm two years younger than you Slavvy and in the same boat. You'll find a way through it as long as you remember that you're playing a game that nobody really loses but just sucks tremendously for everybody involved until you're able to bounce back with gusto while everybody else, who you thought was doing well through the shiny cars they were driving, suffers. Life is literally Mario Party for the N64.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I wish it was more like Mario Kart and I had a couple thousand blue shells.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

everyone posted:

Financial poo poo.

That's a...relief to hear, I guess. I can't actually picture myself 10 years from now at all, there's just this event horizon, like the lip of a waterfall, somewhere a couple of years from now.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I'm two years younger than you Slavvy and in the same boat. You'll find a way through it as long as you remember that you're playing a game that nobody really loses but just sucks tremendously for everybody involved until you're able to bounce back with gusto while everybody else, who you thought was doing well through the shiny cars they were driving, suffers. Life is literally Mario Party for the N64.

I'd better grow a moustache :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

That's a...relief to hear, I guess. I can't actually picture myself 10 years from now at all, there's just this event horizon, like the lip of a waterfall, somewhere a couple of years from now.

Neither can I, haha. I'm in a completely different place now than I thought I would have been 10 years ago, and I figure I'll be in a completely different place than I expected in 10 years. The first thing you learn is all plans are inevitable unrealistic and probably poo poo :P

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I'd better grow a moustache :)

I'm also going to guess that a large chunk of the people coming into your shop with nicer/more expensive cars have a few things in common:

They're at least 10 years older than you.
They are married.
They have college degrees.
They have a steady career in a white collar field.

All those things make a huge difference in what you're able to afford - spending a decade or more working at a halfway decent job, accumulating steady pay raises and promotions, repeatedly selling off your old car to get a nicer one every few years, which will then be worth more than the last one you traded in when the next time rolls around, and having a spouse also working a decent job whom you can split all the bills equally with, and can roughly double your combined budget, all makes a massive difference in what constitutes 'affordable'.

If you don't already have a long term steady career planned out, and/or a college education under your belt, those are very much your first priorities. It sucks, but the modern western world is very much set up around the idea of university degree = any kind of decent paying job, and gently caress you if you don't have one. That piece of paper is often more important to a recruiter than the quality of the person holding it. Kind of a paywall into all the really good jobs.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Well you know what they say, a plan is just a list of poo poo that isn't gonna happen.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Cycle Asylum › Cycle Asylum Glass Is Half Empty Chamber

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Silly, probably unfeasible business idea that popped into my head: Get people to pay you to ride their bike for the first 1000 mile "break-in" period, assuming you take it and just trash on it for 1000 miles

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Welp, the bar for dumb poo poo in cars has now been raised - saw someone using their phone in selfie mode to fix their hair while driving this evening.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lowered. The bar has been lowered.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wait, is it a limbo bar?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's a tree root.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Welp, the bar for dumb poo poo in cars has now been raised - saw someone using their phone in selfie mode to fix their hair while driving this evening.

Sorry, no. I passed a car on the motorway once that floated across the lanes in that unsettling manner that people do when they are really tired (or very distracted). So I floored it past him, but had to drop back and look again because I didn't believe my eyes.

While going 75 mph on the motorway, the guy had his Ipad up on the steering wheel. Playing Fruit Ninja.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I take I--5 between the Bay and la all the time. I'm likely to see at least one dude with his laptop on the dashboard watching movies every single time I go.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That section of the 5 is pretty much hell. It's stinky and boring and long and there's only two lanes so you're going to get stuck behind a group of people going 63.
The only decent part is the grapevine, and only to see how many peoples cars will catch fire crawling up the grades.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bugdrvr posted:

That section of the 5 is pretty much hell. It's stinky and boring and long and there's only two lanes so you're going to get stuck behind a group of people going 63.
The only decent part is the grapevine, and only to see how many peoples cars will catch fire crawling up the grades.

The Grapevine is a ton of fun in a car, I can't wait to take the bike on it. But yes, I-5 is the worst god drat road. There isn't even any interesting scenery to look at. I'm almost tempted to take 101 next time, even if it is an extra 2 or 3 hours.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chichevache posted:

The Grapevine is a ton of fun in a car, I can't wait to take the bike on it. But yes, I-5 is the worst god drat road. There isn't even any interesting scenery to look at. I'm almost tempted to take 101 next time, even if it is an extra 2 or 3 hours.

Hmm, five hours baking in flattop on the 5 versus seven hours on a gorgeous coastal route. Tough decision!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
PCH ain't that good, not like people like me from KY travel there to ride it or anything.

Oh 101, not 1. Yeah I'd still do it.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Just take even longer exploring the random windy roads connecting the 5 and 101, totally worth it when you get bored on either.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I did a good chunk of the 101 from Eureka down to Paso Robles (going back and forth from the 5 and whatever road looked fun) last summer and had a super good time. I think I almost overloaded on scenery a few times and had to pull over so I didn't crash while staring at vistas/ocean bluffs/giant trees/etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/4387890658.html

quote:

1999 TL 1000R DYNOED 187 HORSEPOWER V-TWIN TRADE OR CASH BEST OFFER - $2500

15,000 MILES FULL D&D TITANIUM EXHAUST ,NEW TIRES,BRAKES,NEW CHAIN,NEW SPOCKETS,PERFECT SEATS,STEERING STABLIZER,NEW BATTERY, POWER COMMANDER,DYNO-ED 187 HORSEPOWER, TWO WINDSHIELDS, BIKE COVER & RAIN SNOW COVER,EXTRA PARTS,WILL INCLUDE FRESH YELLOW PAINT JOB ON BIKE FACTORY COLORS,
CALL 360-485-9905

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That would be a $5000 bike here minimum.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Does the TL1000R have the same rear suspension setup as the TL1000S?

Because if that bike truly has 187hp and that rotary damper poo poo, that's a widowmaker if I ever saw one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There isn't a chance in hell that bike has 187 horse

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

>180 bhp from a brand new one litre v-twin would be a stretch, from a 15-year-old engine that was pushing the very ragged edge of what could be done at the time is impossible without turning the engine into a timebomb.

Not that it really matters because that chassis and (particularly) rear suspension couldn't cope with the 130 it made stock and he doesn't mention any suspension work at all even though he had time to mention a spare windscreen.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nah bro it totally has cop killin' horsepower.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Does the TL1000R have the same rear suspension setup as the TL1000S?

Because if that bike truly has 187hp and that rotary damper poo poo, that's a widowmaker if I ever saw one.

Yes, it does. You can get ohlins conventional shocks to convert them over and then they're apparently not too bad, if you like heavy bikes with very short wheelbases.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Double post for tears. ZX10R sold, hunt for a cheaper, more commute-friendly replacement is on.

Goodbye, nicest bike I've ever owned :saddowns:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 6, 2014

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Slavvy posted:

hunt for a cheaper, more commute-friendly replacement is on.

Plenty of red dirtbikes on Trade Me. ;)

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I've been eyeballing mid 00's literbikes lately because clearly my SV650 isn't enough bike for my 6 mile commute. This isn't unreasonable, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Double post for tears. ZX10R sold, hunt for a cheaper, more commute-friendly replacement is on.

Goodbye, nicest bike I've ever owned :saddowns:

ZX10s are good bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shouting Melon posted:

Plenty of red dirtbikes on Trade Me. ;)

I was looking at supermotos but they're all so expensive because so few get sold new here. I was going to make an effort to get a red one, too.

Quite A Tool posted:

I've been eyeballing mid 00's literbikes lately because clearly my SV650 isn't enough bike for my 6 mile commute. This isn't unreasonable, right?

Do it, you have to at least once.

Z3n posted:

ZX10s are good bikes.

This minus the passenger was pretty much my entire ownership experience, and I'm a wheelie pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Group rides can be fun
yet with twenty five riders
it's like herding cats

:suicide: