Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Having to call around to a bunch of our sites to warn them that patients will probably be late tomorrow since the president is going to be in town.

THANKS OBAMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

"I don't have Todd Johnson's email address, can you send this to him?"

What's your email address?

jane.smith@company.com

"What's my email address?"

bob.morales@company.com

"If you had to guess, what would you think Todd Johnson's email is?"

:haw:

Is he in sales? Does he regularly blow C-levels?

The_Toddster@awesum.company.com

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

poo poo that pisses me off: People throwing support under the bus for their own laziness.

quote:

abridged...

January:
:eng101: Hey, it looks like my w2 is wrong, taxable income doesn't account for pretax medical
:downs: huh, i'll take a look into it

Feb:
:eng101: Hey, anything come of this yet?
:downs: ... investigating

April 1:
:eng101: Hey, what's going on with this?
:downs: intuit support hasn't been answering my calls, sorry
:eng101: okay, well to me it's a pretty clear choice, if i file with the bad w2 I owe ~400. If I file with a corrected one, I receive ~1000 in refund. It's tax season so I can totally understand why the INDUSTRY loving LEADER IN SMB PAYROLL is just going "nope, not going to answer, lol". Unfortunately if the deadline comes and I don't have good information i'll have to file for an extension, report the bad w2, you get investigated to all hell and back, and it triggers fines PER W2 ISSUED. I don't want to pay taxes, you don't want to get fined, let's be a bit more aggressive in getting someone to answer, shall we?

:sigh:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
So we upgraded our desktops to use IE9. One of our web apps breaks.

:cool: "Hey vendor, the app broke."
:v: "Yeah that version doesn't support IE9 or better. Roll back."
:cool: "That version? There's a newer version?"
:v: "Oh sure, version 2 is compatible, but we were going to wait for version 3 for you guys."
:cool: "When's version 3 out?"
:v: "Dunno, I'll get back to you. In the meantime, roll back your environment to IE8, including on your server."
:cool: "No. Upgrade us to Version 2."
:v: "Oh... I guess."

Version 2 has apparently been out for a long time now, but they didn't "feel like" upgrading us. :psyduck:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sir_Substance posted:

I feel like I screwed up bad, but I think that nothing here was my fault.

I would say that if a PSU explodes and you didn't gently caress up the voltage switch/somehow connect it to a third rail or something, it's the hardware's fault.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pissing me off: Having to use these HP 6305 refurbished machines with 4GB and AMD A4 CPU, 250GB HD, Win7 32-bit. Between Outlook, Word, and a web browser they are getting crushed.

They are so loving slow. I have the higher model with the A8 5500 and 8GB (which is still slow as gently caress), but would it loving kill someone to get a base PC of i5/8GB? And SSD's for all the laptops. Christ almighty.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

Pissing me off: Having to use these HP 6305 refurbished machines with 4GB and AMD A4 CPU, 250GB HD, Win7 32-bit. Between Outlook, Word, and a web browser they are getting crushed.

They are so loving slow. I have the higher model with the A8 5500 and 8GB (which is still slow as gently caress), but would it loving kill someone to get a base PC of i5/8GB? And SSD's for all the laptops. Christ almighty.

Pissing me off: not Intel :emo:

Quads with 4GB are miles ahead of what some businesses have.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Inspector_666 posted:

I would say that if a PSU explodes and you didn't gently caress up the voltage switch/somehow connect it to a third rail or something, it's the hardware's fault.

Yeah, if it exploded in dramatic fashion it was likely hinky and the cause of the failures to begin with.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Version 2 has apparently been out for a long time now, but they didn't "feel like" upgrading us. :psyduck:
I'm on a crusade at my company to annihilate any old web apps that are not at least functionally compatible with IE11/Firefox/Chrome.

I've also convinced my boss (who holds the dollars) that we're drawing a hard line on taking on any web apps that aren't cross browser compatible, because I'm sick of being hamstrung and exposed to years old browser vulnerabilities by lazy web developers. Because if a web app only works in IE, you can be sure it will only work in THIS version of IE, and in a few years you'll be stuck supporting IE11 when you should have upgraded to IE14 ages ago.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm on a crusade at my company to annihilate any old web apps that are not at least functionally compatible with IE11/Firefox/Chrome.

I've also convinced my boss (who holds the dollars) that we're drawing a hard line on taking on any web apps that aren't cross browser compatible, because I'm sick of being hamstrung and exposed to years old browser vulnerabilities by lazy web developers. Because if a web app only works in IE, you can be sure it will only work in THIS version of IE, and in a few years you'll be stuck supporting IE11 when you should have upgraded to IE14 ages ago.

You are literally doing the Lord's work.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

evol262 posted:

Pissing me off: not Intel :emo:

Quads with 4GB are miles ahead of what some businesses have.

I don't know about that... http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/362/AMD_A4-Series_A4-5300_vs_Intel_Core_2_Duo_E7500.html

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 1, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Uh... and? I've worked at F500 companies who are still issuing 2GB machines. Processor performance is pretty irrelevant to most business workers. Memory is not.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Pissing me off: co-worker who has no interest at all in a sys-admin role, but has interest in the pay and applies and may get selected based entirely on seniority and not merit or passion for the type of work.

Edit: I've been working a month of 60-70 hour weeks to cover for our third hell desk guy quitting and second hell desk guy having no motivation to do anything beyond his 9-5 and playing on Facebook during most of it.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

evol262 posted:

Uh... and? I've worked at F500 companies who are still issuing 2GB machines. Processor performance is pretty irrelevant to most business workers. Memory is not.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to question you or anything. This particular chip from AMD is the absolute bottom of the barrel

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 2, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Roargasm posted:

I wasn't trying to question you or anything. This particular chip from AMD is absolute bottom of the barrel

I mean, Piledriver sucks at CPU performance in general. I'm not trying to argue that point at all. But at least it has enough memory to run Outlook, Word, Firefox with as many tabs as you want, and a few line-of-business apps without paging is all I'm saying.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best bang for buck way of doing office PCs, ignoring VDI, is to cheap out a bit on the CPU but make up for it with an SSD.

If there was an Optiplex with a 3 year warranty which was a copy of the i3 NUC, had an internal PSU and came with a 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM I would order the gently caress out of it. Nobody needs an optical drive, it's just another moving part to break.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Caged posted:

The best bang for buck way of doing office PCs, ignoring VDI, is to cheap out a bit on the CPU but make up for it with an SSD.

If there was an Optiplex with a 3 year warranty which was a copy of the i3 NUC, had an internal PSU and came with a 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM I would order the gently caress out of it. Nobody needs an optical drive, it's just another moving part to break.

Basically this. Buying an i3 with SSD versus an i5 with a SATA drive overwhelming response has been to the i3s with the SSD. Most of our employees are running a trifecta of Outlook, Word, and Excel and nothing else. The general office drone doesn't need great computing power of an i5, but they sure drat notice how long it takes to boot up or start stuff.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Caged posted:

Why do you want an internal power supply?

The USFF HPs we're using have been really good, never had a power supply fail (and even if it did its even easier to replace than an internal one)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Caged posted:

Yeah. We buy PCs from a small company that builds us Shuttles with everything we want at prices not far from buying everything yourself.

That means getting a machine with an i3 and SSD for reasonable money. It's exactly what you need, and Dell are still ballsing this key point up. No, my desktops where all the data is stored over the network do not need 500GB slow as poo poo drives, Dell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dissss posted:

Why do you want an internal power supply?

The USFF HPs we're using have been really good, never had a power supply fail (and even if it did its even easier to replace than an internal one)

Because people will lose everything that isn't the box itself, and power cables are cheap.

Edit: I learnt this with monitors - IEC inlets only. External power supplies annoy me probably more than they should.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 2, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah. We buy PCs from a small company that builds us Shuttles with everything we want at prices not far from buying everything yourself.

That means getting a machine with an i3 and SSD for reasonable money. It's exactly what you need, and Dell are still ballsing this key point up. No, my desktops where all the data is stored over the network do not need 500GB slow as poo poo drives, Dell.

I just bought an Intel NUC i3 for £130 from Amazon. With 8gb and a 240gb SSD that machine is £260.

That would suit virtually every non-gamesplayer in the entire universe, it's scary really.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So lately i've been swamped with calls in my name. I have the most out of all the other tech's right now. This is largely due to me being the only one available to take calls most of the time as most people hit the headset button so they can't take a call.

My manager, seeing that i've got the most tickets, calls me in to ask why i'm never on the phone, how i've got the most tickets and doesn't bother to check the report that say's how many tickets we've resolved (I'm not at the top, granted. But i'm in the upper 80%).

So now he's told me that I have to be on the phone literally all day and not take any calls. That's fine with me, i'll do what everyone else does. Nice to see that we're rewarding laziness!

I need more booze.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Caged posted:

Because people will lose everything that isn't the box itself, and power cables are cheap.

Edit: I learnt this with monitors - IEC inlets only. External power supplies annoy me probably more than they should.

This. An older boss kept getting cheap led monitors with external power bricks. Hated it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Moey posted:

This. An older boss kept getting cheap led monitors with external power bricks. Hated it.

Also make sure your monitors all have DVI inputs, plus VGA. My boss seems to have a lead on 19" HP LCD monitors with VGA only input. We also had to buy a huge box of DisplayPort to VGA adapters because the HP desktops we have come with DisplayPort.

So when someone gets a laptop dock that only has DVI outputs, we have to buy them new monitors too!

(that's actually a good thing because then they get 22" wide screens instead of loving 1280x1024 19" monitors)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Moey posted:

I have a hideously expensive monitor with an external power brick and I love it.

Why? Because when the PSU died outside the warranty period, I was able to get a replacement for £35 rather than having to buy a new monitor.

Most power supplies are cheaply made crap that will fail long before the rest of the device, so external is good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Lets talk about titles again. Here is one I saw today for a vmware webinar.

Ben Goodman
Lead Evangelist, End-User Computing

It screams to me "please look at how big of a douche I am".

My last gig had a CIO "Chief Innovations Officer". After 10 years with the title he still hasn't delivered that first innovation yet. :smith:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lum posted:

I have a hideously expensive monitor with an external power brick and I love it.

Why? Because when the PSU died outside the warranty period, I was able to get a replacement for £35 rather than having to buy a new monitor.

Most power supplies are cheaply made crap that will fail long before the rest of the device, so external is good.

This is fine for home use. I don't want to deal with 800 monitors with a mix of internal and external power supplies at work.

VVV :(

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 2, 2014

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Moey posted:

This is fine for home use. I don't want to deal with 800 monitors with a mix of internet and external power supplies at work.

I know this is a typo, but I'm now imagining someone setting up downloadmoreamps.com for people whose overclocked rigs are failing due to lovely PSUs.

Also I guess I've been spoilt by working with a bunch of devs who are fairly competent at hardware, and so workstation refresh involved dumping a load of cardboard boxes from Dell in the middle of the floor and giving them a skip to put the old kit in.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I have a Server 2012 box on which I am domain admin yet any time I try to do anything, as simple as copying a file to the server, I get access denied. Why? Please fix this, I don't want to.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I have a Server 2012 box on which I am domain admin yet any time I try to do anything, as simple as copying a file to the server, I get access denied. Why? Please fix this, I don't want to.

Wild guess: UAC disabled?

I believe the default behaviour after UAC was disabled changed dramatically from 7 to 8, to silently fail when an event that would normally trigger UAC was encountered, as opposed to succeed.

That could be bollocks though, since come to think of it, I've never tested that scenario myself.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Today? Users that don't reboot their PCs after I push out IE10 to their machines and they receive an email and a post-installation message telling them that they need to reboot in order to complete the installation. As a result of this, my reports are still showing a bunch of machines with IE8 installed, even though my other report tells me that IE10 successfully installed. Next time I'm just going to use /ForceRestart instead of /NoRestart and remove them from the decision entirely.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Today? Users that don't reboot their PCs after I push out IE10 to their machines and they receive an email and a post-installation message telling them that they need to reboot in order to complete the installation. As a result of this, my reports are still showing a bunch of machines with IE8 installed, even though my other report tells me that IE10 successfully installed. Next time I'm just going to use /ForceRestart instead of /NoRestart and remove them from the decision entirely.

Give 'em the ol'
shutdown /r /t /f /m

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

But... but I had stuff open! You destroyed my stuff! WAAAAAAH!

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Caged posted:

Close (except for the power supply): http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m73/

We just bought a bunch of these to replace the last of our XP machines. The SSD makes deploying them so much faster and the users love them.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Alereon posted:

That's the thing, there should be a fuse or breaker that pops before you can pull enough current to damage the wiring, otherwise you'd have building fires all the time.

I can neither confirm nor deny that there is a breaker panel that will start tripping all over the place if there's not a fan pointed at it in the summer...

At least my kit is now on all new code-compliant wiring with a separate feed out to the generator now. Used to be a bunch of office outlets were patched in to the computer room circuits. I once had the UPSes go on battery power because one phase (???) of a 208V circuit blew out in the executive office.

Lum posted:

Christ, at that sort of temperature (26.66C apparently) my brain goes into thermal throttling mode and I can barely stay awake let alone be a functional human being. Still at lest I'd get to wear cute summer dresses all year round :)

Yeah my brain does the same thing sometimes, unlike most of the folks working here, I can just go in the server room to cool down. Funny I've got to wear a shirt, slacks, and tie but all the ladies get away with pretty much anything that isn't jeans and a t-shirt.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

Yeah my brain does the same thing sometimes, unlike most of the folks working here, I can just go in the server room to cool down. Funny I've got to wear a shirt, slacks, and tie but all the ladies get away with pretty much anything that isn't jeans and a t-shirt.

Here, if you're really fat, you can basically wear t-shirt and sweatpants.

Our dress code is company-wide but enforcement is really by department. Most of the girls wear black yoga pants and big droopy shirts but I came on casual Friday without a collared shirt and got an email from my boss.

Since you can wear anything with a company logo on it, any day of the week, I'm tempted to just order 5 company t-shirts and just wear those fuckers every single day with khakis.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
The decision was made after we were halfway through the Win7 rollout that due to cost, contractors will not be licensed for O365/Office 2013. After we had imaged over 500 PCs with the standard image that included Office 2013. There's now two images, one with 2007 and one with 2013, and we have to lookup in a database which image to use for each user.

For the ones that are already deployed, the system admins have setup a push to remove Office 2013 that fails about 50% of the time, then we have to go to the workstation, run a repair on 2013, then request a new push. Then about 50% of the time, we have to manually install 2007 because that push failed, plus Lync 2013 doesn't install with the 2013 removal and Lync 2010 doesn't install with the 2007 install, so we have to do all that manually too.

Only to get an email yesterday that the agency is in the process of purchasing more licenses so that every user/workstation on our contact will be licensed for 2013, so in another month or so we're going to have to re-upgrade all of these people to 2013 again.

:fuckoff: :suicide:

Edit: This is what happens when we use Tivoli Endpoint Manager instead of something sane like, I dunno, SCCM?

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012
I've been doing MS Office installs via GPO for years now with excellent results once I got it OUT of my default images. Where you run into trouble is with the little bits and pieces it leaves lying around...

CommanderApaul posted:

Edit: This is what happens when we use Tivoli Endpoint Manager instead of something sane like, I dunno, SCCM?

Edit: This is what happens when your OS still doesn't have sane package management... :argh:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bob Morales posted:

Here, if you're really fat, you can basically wear t-shirt and sweatpants.

Our dress code is company-wide but enforcement is really by department. Most of the girls wear black yoga pants and big droopy shirts but I came on casual Friday without a collared shirt and got an email from my boss.

Since you can wear anything with a company logo on it, any day of the week, I'm tempted to just order 5 company t-shirts and just wear those fuckers every single day with khakis.

Reminds me of my last job where the conundrum was: On casual Friday (medical office) we can't have ladies wearing all these tight clothes.

The problem with enforcing a rule about that was: What about fat people whose clothes are too tight simply because they are fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Sickening posted:

Lets talk about titles again. Here is one I saw today for a vmware webinar.

Ben Goodman
Lead Evangelist, End-User Computing

It screams to me "please look at how big of a douche I am".

My last gig had a CIO "Chief Innovations Officer". After 10 years with the title he still hasn't delivered that first innovation yet. :smith:

My company has a Chief Technology Evangelist. And an evangelism team. But, it's a start-up, so evangelism is kind of important?