Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So, here's a very strange bug, if darkrenown is still passing these on to the CK2 team. I first noticed it in multiplayer, but just recreated it in single-player as well:

When you select the Third Crusade start date, it shows the Kingdom of Pala has united pretty much all of the Bengal delta except for a little duchy right in the middle called Sena. Selecting the king of Pala and starting a game, though, shows that Bengal is actually a lot more fractured than that, and in fact the Kingdom of Pala doesn't even exist. Instead, it starts you as the 133-year-old maharaja of Gahadvala. Of course he dies within days of unpausing, starting you as his 114-year-old eldest son, who similarly eats poo poo within seconds. Now you're playing as the second and last son, who has no children, and is 93. He hangs on a bit longer, but not long enough to have a kid, unless you get really lucky. Start to game over in under sixty seconds. I've recreated this 3 times already, exact same results.

Is anyone else having this happen or is my copy just hosed up somehow?

e: Now with screenshot:

Noted. Although IMO we should keep it and call it "Death race challenge".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm at absolute crown authority and one of my dukes just waged an "Albanite claim for Lothian." How did he do that with absolute crown authority? I thought the perk of that was that it prevented vassals from declaring war?

Could it be that the Duke of Albany had a claim on Lothian and the Duke of Lothian's vassals initiated a war to oust their ruler and replace him with the Duke of Albany?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I'm sure it will go over well.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Darkrenown posted:

Achievement: Conquer the world as the 133-year-old maharaja of Gahadvala.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm at absolute crown authority and one of my dukes just waged an "Albanite claim for Lothian." How did he do that with absolute crown authority? I thought the perk of that was that it prevented vassals from declaring war?

Is the Duke of Lothian your vassal as well? It prevents vassals from declaring war on each other (unless it's a war from a plot). They can still declare war on foreigners.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

marktheando posted:

Is the Duke of Lothian your vassal as well? It prevents vassals from declaring war on each other (unless it's a war from a plot). They can still declare war on foreigners.

I don't believe this is true at absolute authority. I'm sticking with my original suspicion that his absolute crown authority is actually for Ireland, not Scotland.

edit: Because I made a similar mistake when I was new to this game.

Dickensian Aspect fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 2, 2014

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Pierson posted:

Welp just had the endless tournament bug during my ironman game, and it was going so well too, gently caress. :(

I had that bug too, like others have said it stops when your ruler dies. Thankfully my ruler at the time sucked so it gave me a reason to get him killed when the Caliph counter assassinated me. Now I'm never clicking the tournament button again until it's fixed.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

marktheando posted:

The tooltip for absolute crown authority very clearly says that it stops vassals from waging war, full stop. Of course, I've also noted that vassals are very capable of declaring war on each other when the tooltip says they shouldn't be able to, but I've basically given up on crown authority working the way it should.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Dickensian Aspect posted:

Is the Scottish crown, specifically, at absolute?

I don't have the Scottish crown at absolute yet, I only have the Irish crown at absolute.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'd like if the economy drop tab would break down your profit/expenses, because there's games where I notice I have an expense and was completely baffled until I realized I still had a levy raised in the most far-flung section of my kingdom because it was off-screen.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't have the Scottish crown at absolute yet, I only have the Irish crown at absolute.

Yep, this is could be your problem - crown laws only apply within their de jure areas - though it is still weird if the Scottish one is medium or higher and both dukes are your vassals.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ray and Shirley posted:

Could it be that the Duke of Albany had a claim on Lothian and the Duke of Lothian's vassals initiated a war to oust their ruler and replace him with the Duke of Albany?

When the game has a war name like "Albanite Claim on Lothian", it names it based on who is declaring war, not on who the claimant is. A faction revolt for another claimant will have a different name.

Azuth0667 posted:

This is the problem. Crown authority only applies to de-jure vassals of that specific title. If you hold Ireland and Scotland, with Ireland at Absolute and Scotland at Limited, your Scottish vassals could still declare war on each other or, for that matter, your Irish vassals) for claims while your Irish vassals couldn't do anything.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Robindaybird posted:

I'd like if the economy drop tab would break down your profit/expenses, because there's games where I notice I have an expense and was completely baffled until I realized I still had a levy raised in the most far-flung section of my kingdom because it was off-screen.

Click the shield in the lower left corner of your portrait.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
For some reason the Kingdom of Scottland is called the Kingdom of Alba. I usurped it from the original holder and it spawned three petty kings who refuse to be vassalized :black101:. The crown authority was at limited you guys were right that's where the wars are coming from. From the looks of it my vassal who holds the Duchy of Lennister got called as an ally by the vassal holding the Duchy of Albany in the war against Lothian.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

For some reason the Kingdom of Scottland is called the Kingdom of Alba. I usurped it from the original holder and it spawned three petty kings who refuse to be vassalized :black101:. The crown authority was at limited you guys were right that's where the wars are coming from. From the looks of it my vassal who holds the Duchy of Lennister got called as an ally by the vassal holding the Duchy of Albany in the war against Lothian.

Alba is just the Gaelic word for Scotland.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So how are you really meant to start as the small Nestorian ruler at the old gods start date? You have 0 boats available.

Also is there some event that can remove Celibacy from a partner?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This first run through since I started playing again actually turned out well. I was struggling in the south of Ireland but managed to get marriage alliances with both Norway and England so they backed up my attempts to work my way up the island. Suddenly in my 60s I have 54% of Ireland and make myself King. All the other counts take my offer of vassalization and each time one gets annoyed with me he winds up in prison or stomped by my powerful friends.

So far the only disappointment is that my daughter that I married off to the young head of the Byzantines is back already because the rotten bastard dropped dead at 23 before they had a child. I'm still ruling but have lots of grandkids and almost none of them are ambitious so I'm hoping they won't tear Ireland apart when it's their turn to run things.

I'm glad I saved before finally throwing a Grand Tournament because of course I got hit by the bug.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

So how are you really meant to start as the small Nestorian ruler at the old gods start date? You have 0 boats available.

I'll have to try a game as them at some point. Socotra seems like such a cool place, it looks like an alien planet with their weird trees.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

marktheando posted:

I'll have to try a game as them at some point. Socotra seems like such a cool place, it looks like an alien planet with their weird trees.

Why do I have a sudden urge to play starbound now?

On topic why is it you guys don't see the HRE as an empire?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

Why do I have a sudden urge to play starbound now?

I see it as such, but apparently a large, ethnically- and culturally-diverse region controlled by a single (if highly decentralized) state apparatus can be a real empire if it's the Mongol Empire, but not if it's the Holy Roman Empire. The HRE wasn't an empire like Rome or Britain was, but it certainly was a kind of empire if we look at other states that have traditionally been referred to as empires.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Thrasophius posted:

Is there actually any reason to play ironman anymore? When it takes 5 seconds per auto save on an SSD it gets kind of silly the amount of time you waste waiting for the drat thing to resume. I know paradox said things would be slower but drat.

No, they did a really good job adding a massive useless blob for no reason that broke a bunch of poo poo even if you have no intention of ever playing there.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Antinumeric posted:

Is there a way to make it so Gavelkind is the only succession law? It'd really help anti-blobbing and I quite like how gavelkind functions.

So I was bored at work, and decided to whip this mod up real quick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq15y45jkugbaoh/allgavel.20140402.zip

I haven't tested it, so there is a chance it won't work quite right.

What is should do is the following:
  • Gavelkind is the only succession type available to all feudal rulers at the start of the game
  • Title history files that specified a succession type have been updated to specify Gavelkind
  • There is an intrigue menu option that lets you enable various succession types
  • Any enabled succession types will use the normal mechanics for them, so enabling primo won't immediately set everyone into it, they still need the normal requirements for it.
  • Unless Turkish succession is enabled, Muslims are also forced into Gavelkind. If Turkish is enabled, they lose access to Gavelkind but will still need to manually switch out of it.

If something doesn't work let me know, as I said I haven't actually tested this, I just created it in a few minutes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Geokinesis posted:

You need to wait until you have enough technology points to upgrade shipbuilding. Before that, you need to play the waiting game and hope there are no peasant revolts.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

SeaTard posted:

So I was bored at work, and decided to whip this mod up real quick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq15y45jkugbaoh/allgavel.20140402.zip

I haven't tested it, so there is a chance it won't work quite right.

What is should do is the following:
  • Gavelkind is the only succession type available to all feudal rulers at the start of the game
  • Title history files that specified a succession type have been updated to specify Gavelkind
  • There is an intrigue menu option that lets you enable various succession types
  • Any enabled succession types will use the normal mechanics for them, so enabling primo won't immediately set everyone into it, they still need the normal requirements for it.
  • Unless Turkish succession is enabled, Muslims are also forced into Gavelkind. If Turkish is enabled, they lose access to Gavelkind but will still need to manually switch out of it.

If something doesn't work let me know, as I said I haven't actually tested this, I just created it in a few minutes.

Thanks! I'll test it later tonight.

By the way it's still possible to reform your religion if you don't mind using the console. Just get it so you can reform. go into observer mode, wait a few days then s/q and play as your character again. The ai reforms as soon as it fulfils the requirements.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

It depends upon the period being discussed, really. From the 14th century onward, the various princes, bishops, etc. of the HRE had so many rights of their own that it gets harder to really see the HRE as a single, unified entity.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

It depends upon the period being discussed, really. From the 14th century onward, the various princes, bishops, etc. of the HRE had so many rights of their own that it gets harder to really see the HRE as a single, unified entity.

Basically this. Calling the 15th century HRE an empire is like calling the EU an empire. And I'm no expert on how far back this was the case, but given the nature of the feudal system, my understanding is that CKII already pretty seriously overstates the amount of centralization in all the realms in the game, not just the HRE.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Geokinesis posted:

I'm pretty sure asking this question puts you on some kind of a list somewhere.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm pretty sure asking this question puts you on some kind of a list somewhere.

Hah if there is an event I hope it isn't rape, as I'm sure I've seen it mentioned that with the right traits/stats there is some option to talk to the spouse to remove celibacy.

Edit: also what is going on with this guy and Gregarious? He has gregarious but also despises it?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I guess he only just got gregarious, sometimes it takes a bit for it to register traits in the break down. Or that one of his other traits is giving that malus.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

DStecks posted:

Basically this. Calling the 15th century HRE an empire is like calling the EU an empire. And I'm no expert on how far back this was the case, but given the nature of the feudal system, my understanding is that CKII already pretty seriously overstates the amount of centralization in all the realms in the game, not just the HRE.

I think the biggest failing of early EUIV and CK2 is that it was very difficult to convince the nobles to help in your conflicts and bringing troops from far distances was very expensive and less commonly used, especially against small foes. In ck2 you raise every soldier in the realm to put down one rebelling count, this is a little bit extreme.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I was just checking out the inhabitants of my dungeon when I came across this poor girl. :stare:

Should this really be possible, or is it a bug?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I dunno how that happened at that date, but once you're married to someone there's nothing to stop it happening. The one I've always seen is Hungary 1066 where the king starts off married to a 15 year old or something, rather than betrothed (can't remember specifics).

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE
Just as a thought, but is there any reason that people can't use the old map files to mod in the old map?
That way people can take advantage of patches while also being able to ignore India if they're not interested in it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Autism posted:

Just as a thought, but is there any reason that people can't use the old map files to mod in the old map?
That way people can take advantage of patches while also being able to ignore India if they're not interested in it.
You'd have to modify a few thing to get the old map working again. default.map in the /map folder now has an entry that include the lines sea_zones = { [ID1] [ID2] } and ocean_region = { [NUMBERS] }. The sea_zones entries now define which provinces are sea provinces by taking two province IDs and defining everything between them as sea provinces. Then ocean provinces come in with a set like ocean_region = { 1 2 4 } which means that sea_region sets 1, 2 and 4 (the first sea_region listed being 1, next one being 2, etc.) are all grouped into one "ocean", which is what the AI uses to suss out navigation so it doesn't get confused by the split between the Atlantic and Indian oceans.

Basically the system is meant to help AI differentiate between different bodies of water and prevent the need for all of the old sea provinces to be redefined so that India's land provinces can fit in.

Alternatively, roll back to 2.0.4 through steam settings.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Is there any way to lose the excommunicated trait if you're a heretic?

Zoinker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 2, 2014

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I'm really liking RoI so far, even with all the bugs. The fact that each major cultural/religious group plays so differently is part of why I think CK2 is a stronger game than the new Europa.

Now all we need is a Horde DLC so I can play as the Aztecs from day one. :getin:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Speaking of bugs, have they mentioned an estimated ETA for a patch yet?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nightblade posted:

I was just checking out the inhabitants of my dungeon when I came across this poor girl. :stare:

Should this really be possible, or is it a bug?

It's not like this never happened in the middle ages.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zoinker posted:

Is there any way to lose the excommunicated trait if you're a heretic?

... Stop being a heretic? I'm just working from real-world logic here, but doesn't excommunication come with the territory of being a heretic?

Torrannor posted:

It's not like this never happened in the middle ages.

In the middle ages? You know, there's this channel called TLC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DStecks posted:

... Stop being a heretic? I'm just working from real-world logic here, but doesn't excommunication come with the territory of being a heretic?

I think he means he got the excommunication trait and then became a heretic. You lose the ability to ask the Pope to lift the excommunication and everyone around you hates you even more. (They hate you for being both excommunicated and a heretic)

• Locked thread