Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

kojicolnair posted:

Having a hard time with the second mission in the elf campaign, I can deal with everything except the manticore riders and man do they use those a lot. Anyone have advice about which units I can make that could handle them?

I posted a big effortpost on this a ways back : did you get the free golden dragon/dragon city? They're slow to build but the huge AOE spirit damage is pretty much uncontestable by the orc. Spam a lot of summon gargantuan creature and summon horned god - Horned god gets you some nice lightning aoe to whittle down multiple manticores at once, as well as being one of the few things you can make that has a chance at beating a manticore in a one on one fight a lot of the gargantuan creatures can debuff and are hard hitting in their own right.

However, one of the big keys to you winning is making a giant horde of draconian fliers - they're way deadlier than you might think and in large numbers the orc will just melt. If you use some draconian elders to buff their damage (and shoot things afterwards) they can be even scarier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

dud root posted:

Should I be spamming global summoning units like they're candy? I always seem to have an abundance of mana, in total and per turn amounts.

Yes, keep summoning as long as you have spare casting points and mana income.

OwlFancier posted:

Something like dominions-style putting more mana into your spell to make it harder to dispel could be worthwhile?

Maybe global spells could have hit points or something which you can attack with dispels or recharge as the caster?

I don't really like the whole global enchantment/global dispel mechanic as it stands in any game that uses this system, it's something that could do with a better system everywhere.

I'm not comfortable changing the actual mechanics for disjunction in an early patch. I've modified the AI so it's a bit smarter. To cut a long story short, there's now only a 1 in 15 chance (ish) of the AI trying to dispel something which doesn't directly affect it (like a global that increases you gold income) and a 1 in 3 (ish) chance for a spell which does (like if you cast Incite Revolt on one of its cities). Hopefully this will make the AI act more like a player, more interested in casting their own spells than using mana to mess up other peoples.

Another issue with changing mana costs for dispelling is that the cheating AI will have way more mana than you, so you end up hurting players much more than the AI, which isn't really the idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

I'm not comfortable changing the actual mechanics for disjunction in an early patch. I've modified the AI so it's a bit smarter. To cut a long story short, there's now only a 1 in 15 chance (ish) of the AI trying to dispel something which doesn't directly affect it (like a global that increases you gold income) and a 1 in 3 (ish) chance for a spell which does (like if you cast Incite Revolt on one of its cities). Hopefully this will make the AI act more like a player, more interested in casting their own spells than using mana to mess up other peoples.

Another issue with changing mana costs for dispelling is that the cheating AI will have way more mana than you, so you end up hurting players much more than the AI, which isn't really the idea.

That'll probably help a bunch, though I think the main issue with it is that you can cast a spell pretty quickly, and dispel even more quickly.

So you end up with a really weird tug of war where people just throw mana at each other and the spells flicker on and off like some sort of malfunctioning magical kitchen light.

If you wanted a simpler change, perhaps dispelling a spell would prevent it being re-cast for a few turns, and casting a global or friendly city enchantment would prevent it from being dispelled for a few turns, that at least gives your actions a bit more weight.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

So you end up with a really weird tug of war where people just throw mana at each other and the spells flicker on and off like some sort of malfunctioning magical kitchen light.

If you wanted a simpler change, perhaps dispelling a spell would prevent it being re-cast for a few turns, and casting a global or friendly city enchantment would prevent it from being dispelled for a few turns, that at least gives your actions a bit more weight.

That's an interesting idea. I'll add it to the list, thanks!

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007
The in-game manual is a fantastic reference. It would be really useful if it had a back button or something - if you follow a link on a particular page, there's no easy way to return to the previous one unless the new page also cross-links the one you were just reading. Also, being able to access the Tome from the menu screen is nice, but so many of the pages just say 'This information is only available in-game', which renders it somewhat pointless.

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, it really sucks, but there's almost nothing we can do about it :( Most people who play MP ban tactical combat versus the AI full stop, since otherwise it can take hours just to complete one turn.
The HOMM-esque solution would be to allow players to use autocombat but then have the option to manually re-play it after seeing the results. This seems likely to at least speed up the mid game without hurting early creeping, where you have less firepower in your army and it requires a little more finesse to take down some neutrals without major losses (e.g by using spells/sacrificial chaff to isolate and split them up).

OwlFancier posted:

This is a good idea. Another option might be a 'Weave Shield' that absorbs a number of dispel attempts on an enchantment (so a concerted effort by all other players can still bring it down quickly)?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

dud root posted:

Should I be spamming global summoning units like they're candy? I always seem to have an abundance of mana, in total and per turn amounts.

I tend to just forget about casting when not in battle

When I play again later I want to try massing Spy Drones: the explosion isn't usually enough to outright kill but it does considerable damage by itself.

E: not complaining but I think it's funny that a balloon with a camera can take over a fortress while everyone went out for lunch

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 2, 2014

rotapper
Sep 16, 2007
AI units don't seem to use fortification walls, they just run out of the fort/castle to attack all the time. Not worth building siege engines.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mokinokaro posted:

I just wish you could use created heroes in the campaign somehow, or just visually customize your main characters.

Gerblyn, is there any chance we'll see a hero creation kit? (if one already exists, feel free to point and laugh at me) I'd love to make me some more heroes to recruit! :getin:

Prof. B. Bearington posted:

This is a good idea. Another option might be a 'Weave Shield' that absorbs a number of dispel attempts on an enchantment (so a concerted effort by all other players can still bring it down quickly)?

This is good, it could be an solid expansion addition since it would be pretty game changing currently.

My take on it;
"Weave Shield" comes in stacks equal to the tier of the spell -1. It decays at one per turn and per disjunction.
Thus, a tier 4 global spell is cast. At the point of casting it would require 4 disjunctions to remove. After three turns that protection has decayed completely.

Mechanically however, i have two concerns, 1) What is the cost in casting points? 2) Will it have a cost in mana crystals?

I'd say it should cost equal to disjunctioning the spell when its unprotected, but only a quarter of the crystals. This is sacrifice enough to say it could be a turn without your leader's casting pool.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

rotapper posted:

AI units don't seem to use fortification walls, they just run out of the fort/castle to attack all the time. Not worth building siege engines.

Depends on their army composition and yours, actually. If the enemy is really missile heavy they will hug those walls like no tomorrow, but if they're melee heavy they will usually sally out to meet you.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

rotapper posted:

Well, well, you don't use battering rams for city defense? I try to keep two in each city to avoid losing them to wandering dudes.

And rams in the beginning of a map. They are pretty nice for cheap, throw away tank units

e: noone have any clue to where I can look up what all the spells are out of game?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
To follow-up on my basic overview of racial units, here's a (very) shallow look at the various unique class units.

On the subject of races, elves have a neat hidden perk of always use longbows instead of shortbows. So Mounted Elven Archers for example use longbows whereas any other type still has shortbows.

Warlord

The Warlords main gimmick with units is essentially having higher-tier units of all the basic types available.

Mounted Archers are just archers with extra durability and movement, for example.

Berserkers are like Orc Greatswords but with higher stats and immunity to mind control.

Phalanx are the strongest spear unit in the game, a very tanky tier 3 unit with an attack that cripples movement.

Warbred are just big old meatsticks designed to rush in and smash through walls. With 80 HP, 36 Mv and 20 Dam they do that very well.

Monster Hunters are an oddity, sort of a kickass Tier 2 crossbowman with swimming and a host of slayer skills. (Fey, Giant, Dragon, Animal)

Manticore are their most feared units and for good reason. It's a monstrous Tier 4 flyer without any real gimmick, just raw stats. (Also they have First Strike, which I don't know how I missed. That's brutal.)

Dreadnaught

By contrast, the Dreadnaughts are all about their vast mechanized army. Only two of their units are influenced by race at all, (Musketeer, Engineer) but races with strong Cav have a very nice perk with the sidearms upgrade. Machines are totally immune to spirit and blight damage but vulnerable to shock. There's also various spells and abilities (sabotage) designed to counter them directly. In general they have a lot of HPs and phy def but low resistance.

Spy Drone: Basic flying/scouting unit with a hilariously powerful death explosion. It's tempting to build these just as suicide bombers.

Musketeers: Very powerful ranged infantry with a slow firing rate. With relatively high HPs and Defense they aren't particularly vulnerable to melee.

Engineers: Key support unit with an ability that refreshes cooldowns. A lot of Dreadnaught units can only attack every other round normally, so this is pretty handy. Also have a lot of Fire Resist and a respectable shotgun attack.

Cannon: It's a cannon! slow but hilariously powerful ranged attack, and tougher then you'd expect.

Flame Tank: Combines a powerful AOE Flame Attack with an even more powerful AOE death explosion. Bane of hordes of weak things everywhere, countered by high fire resistance.

Golem: Almost all Deadnaught units are artillery, so it's nice to have a simple bruiser/wall crusher like this. Does nothing fancy but can soak a lot of damage.

Ironclad: Congratulations on achieving naval superiority with one unit.

Juggernaught: The tree-mulching monster featured heavily in previews. Super-heavily armored super-artillery unit, straight up. Also has a one shot broadside attack to discourage surrounding tactics. It's...not safe.

Arch Druid

Druid has the lowest number of unique units, only because their primary gimmick is summoning hordes of random animals and I can't be bothered to make an extensive list right now. They also have a lot of focus on boosting ranged units and slowing/hindering spell effects to make them more effective. Elves have wicked synergy with Arch Druids for obvious reasons.

Hunters are basically just archers with a ton of movement bonuses, forest concealment and animal charm. They aren't an amazing battlefield unit but they're cheap and make great explorers, especially with animal convert snowball potential.

Shamans are one of the best caster units in the game. They give no fucks about any sort of terrain or hindering effects, great stats, poison bolts, swimming, concealment, animal charm, and best of all can lock down units with Entangle. They're basically SM Druids on steroids and should be abused liberally.

Ancestral Spirits: One of many ghost units, and probably the least impressive. They're extremely tough against physical damage and immune to spirit damage entirely, but they don't have the damage output to be a real threat. Their spirit break (-2 Def, Res) is however a useful way to soften up targets for your ranged units to hammer, and druids do love spamming archers.

Horned God: Simply awesome looking and very powerful Tier 4 summon. They're a melee monster for the most part but they do have a cool long range lightning attack and are resistant to most forms of damage.

Ugh, out of time. I'll go over the other three classes later.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 2, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Shadowmorn posted:

This is good, it could be an solid expansion addition since it would be pretty game changing currently.

My take on it;
"Weave Shield" comes in stacks equal to the tier of the spell -1. It decays at one per turn and per disjunction.
Thus, a tier 4 global spell is cast. At the point of casting it would require 4 disjunctions to remove. After three turns that protection has decayed completely.

Mechanically however, i have two concerns, 1) What is the cost in casting points? 2) Will it have a cost in mana crystals?

I'd say it should cost equal to disjunctioning the spell when its unprotected, but only a quarter of the crystals. This is sacrifice enough to say it could be a turn without your leader's casting pool.

A simpler way to do this maybe could be, on the spell casting screen there would be a few icons for spell 'power' level, something like spell casting in Wizardry 8. Each extra power level would increase the casting cost of the spell by say 20%, but in turn would give you that many turns worth of dispel protection.

Alternatively you could instead have it increase the cost to dispel it, but again that's less of an issue for the AI since it gets extra mana anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

That'll probably help a bunch, though I think the main issue with it is that you can cast a spell pretty quickly, and dispel even more quickly.

Maybe you can still cast disjunction during that invulnerability time to destabilise it, causing it to die automatically after the invulnerability runs out. Recasting the spell during that time stabilises it, or additional casts of disjunction knock a turn off the invulnerability.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 2, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

rotapper posted:

It's sort of a bug, the AI counts the number of ranged units you have, and decides to leave the walls based on that. So, if there are two ranged units defending, and you turn up with 4 or more ranged units (including heroes and such), the AI comes out immediately. I have a fix in the next patch that should address it, the AI will still come out from behind the walls sometimes, but it should do so in a more intelligent way.

Shadowmorn posted:

Gerblyn, is there any chance we'll see a hero creation kit? (if one already exists, feel free to point and laugh at me) I'd love to make me some more heroes to recruit! :getin:

You can make them in the level editor, but I don't think there's any way of getting them into the game, without actually playing in the level you edited, since that's where you store the things you make in the level editor. Once modding tools are released, I hope that adding more random heroes will be a thing.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

I posted a big effortpost on this a ways back : did you get the free golden dragon/dragon city? They're slow to build but the huge AOE spirit damage is pretty much uncontestable by the orc. Spam a lot of summon gargantuan creature and summon horned god - Horned god gets you some nice lightning aoe to whittle down multiple manticores at once, as well as being one of the few things you can make that has a chance at beating a manticore in a one on one fight a lot of the gargantuan creatures can debuff and are hard hitting in their own right.

However, one of the big keys to you winning is making a giant horde of draconian fliers - they're way deadlier than you might think and in large numbers the orc will just melt. If you use some draconian elders to buff their damage (and shoot things afterwards) they can be even scarier.

The problem with that is I have such a lack of gold and gold revenue by the time I get to the dragon city there is no way I'm EVER going to be able to build even a single dragon. I could build less units but I can barely defend my one city as it is.

Plus they take so many units of the manticores to attack the dragon city that if I don't take all or most of my units I can't defend, and if I do that I lose my city. I'm kind of terrible at this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

madmac posted:

Manticore are their most feared units and for good reason. It's a monstrous Tier 4 flyer without any real gimmick, just raw stats.

Manticore has first strike. That's what makes it so incredibly strong - even when it's nearly dead, it's going to smack you for a good 20 or 30 damage. I'm actually finding it hard to defend my cities against them since TWO manticores can sometimes take down six or seven firstborn.
I'm a bit miffed at how weak some archers are without the game QUITE making it clear. Good god, orc razorbows are worthless!

And I can do Theologist for you.

Theologist
Their spells buff your units and tend to add spirit damage in combat, while on the global map they're more focused on debuffs - the ultimate spell is Armageddon, which makes all enemy units stop regenerating and throws a ton of extra damage your way.
It also uses the "Heretic" and "Devout" buffs, your devout units will cause more damage against things you tag as a heretic using other spells. It's often a LOT more damage too.

Martyrs are your standard infantry with a throwing attack, but they can "absorb pain" for another unit, taking damage themselves instead.

Crusaders are a lot like the Dwarf axeman unit - strong infantry with a shield. They do bonus fire damage to undead and to anything tagged Heretic. With spirit immunity and wall climbing I'm still using them in end-game.

Evangelists are a mixed bag - they can heal, see invisible units and also cast mind control once per fight. Once again they're Devout with all the advantages that brings against heretics. They're Support.

Exalted are angels. Unkillable angels, since they have the "Resurgence" ability that means they come back to life at the end of a fight if you manage to win. They do bonus spirit damage, but they're "just" flying infantry beyond that.

The Shrine of Smiting is a mechanical unit, like those the Dreadnought has, so it cannot be healed. It's sort of like a gigantic cannon, doing extreme amounts of damage at long range to any heretic unit and reasonable amounts of damage to everyone else.
It also has an AoE that you can use once per battle to do 10 fire and 20 shock damage to all units in a 4x4 range.
As has been mentioned in the thread they're monsterously powerful and pretty hard to kill too. Best mixed with dwarf firstborn since they're immune to the effect of the AoE.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Good god, turn times are slower than late-game Civ V in mid-game on v large maps with 8 AI :stare:

It's taking 5-6 minutes for the AI to take their turns.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Theologist
The Shrine of Smiting is a mechanical unit, like those the Dreadnought has, so it cannot be healed. It's sort of like a gigantic cannon, doing extreme amounts of damage at long range to any heretic unit and reasonable amounts of damage to everyone else.

The important thing to note about the Shrine Of Smiting is that it's main attack gets more powerful the more devout units are fighting with it. The base attack is 10phys + 10fire, each devout unit on the battle field on the same side, increases the damage by another 2phys/2fire. In the current version, the shrines themselves are devout, and they boost themselves and each other. A stack of 6 shrines will all do 22phys/22fire damage per shot.

We're going to nerf them in the next patch though, and make the shrine's themselves not have the devout ability. This will mean that to get the most out of shrines you'll need to mix them with armies of other units.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

We're going to nerf them in the next patch though, and make the shrines themselves not have the devout ability. This will mean that to get the most out of shrines you'll need to mix them with armies of other units.

You bastard. Although I find sometimes that what's devout and what isn't is a little random, I cast spells to make my stuff devout but for some reason there will be a unit or two that aren't, even when it's stuff that covers the battlefield.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
That's strange, could you give an example of what spell you're using to make things devout and which unit's are unaffected? We have so many spells int eh game, I lose track of what does what.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

That's strange, could you give an example of what spell you're using to make things devout and which unit's are unaffected? We have so many spells int eh game, I lose track of what does what.

Sorry, I've worded it wrongly.
Say for example Holy War gives all devout units +5 damage. All my units get this, but then the Shrine's AoE that isn't supposed to affect devout units will hurt a random unit of mine out of nowhere, even though it must be devout to get the buff from the spell. It's the same sort of unit too!

Incidentally I have a minor...bug with the AI. If they're near you, they'll often cross your border because it's the most efficent way to move and each time they do it if you haven't got open borders, it ruins your relations. I think they're just pathing across and not trying to actually be aggressive, but it's really ruined the relation I have with pretty much every single AI.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Taear posted:

Incidentally I have a minor...bug with the AI. If they're near you, they'll often cross your border because it's the most efficent way to move and each time they do it if you haven't got open borders, it ruins your relations. I think they're just pathing across and not trying to actually be aggressive, but it's really ruined the relation I have with pretty much every single AI.

This happens with your own unit auto-pathing over long distances, too. It does warn you if you're invading someone's territory, though. Seems to happen when your units have a choice of moving one more tile (and invading someone) rather than take a harder road and not move an extra tile that turn (but stay in neutral territory).

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If entering combat pauses the game for all players, what are the disadvantages to just playing multiplayer in classic turn mode?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Playing as a high level dreadnought nation against smaller, less developed nations is hilarious and incredibly evil outside the scope of the mechanics if you do it right.

All I did to breach the walls of this one city was combine all my spy drones that were finished scouting into one army and then bum rush the defenders. Cue a near nuclear explosion as everything just kind of blew up. The AI didn't even know what to do except let half the town get torched by suicidal drones. This was followed by a wave of infantry sieging the few remaining defenders, along with a volley of bullets slamming into the scorched remnants.

Drone warfare at its best. :getin:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 2, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Obama applauds you

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Murodese posted:

This happens with your own unit auto-pathing over long distances, too. It does warn you if you're invading someone's territory, though. Seems to happen when your units have a choice of moving one more tile (and invading someone) rather than take a harder road and not move an extra tile that turn (but stay in neutral territory).

Yea, I'd noticed it then when I realised I was going to end up at war with some tiny AI nearby me I saw a billion "violated territories" from her to me and realised where it came from!

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So far I'm really liking the game. The AI and tactical combat feel like huge improvements over the previous games. The AI in the original AoW was pretty dumb - I'm glad that's not the case anymore. The music is great too :v:

Taear posted:

And is it possible to make it so city production comes AFTER unit movement? It's annoying having to click through it telling me to stop producing merchandise, maybe I want to do that okay.

I found out that right-clicking on those messages will actually cycle through them. I wish this were more obvious though. I feel like there's a lot of little flaws in the UI, and that's the area that could use the most improvement.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Koldenblue posted:

So far I'm really liking the game. The AI and tactical combat feel like huge improvements over the previous games. The AI in the original AoW was pretty dumb - I'm glad that's not the case anymore. The music is great too :v:

It's pretty fantastic all around. Of course, this just proves that Steam forums are terrible since they're bitching about the "terrible" AI that knows not to dive headfirst into a honeytrap of a city.

Imagine my surprise when I created a border city to defend a more lucrative coastline city, only for the AI to bypass the heavily defended fortress in favor of marching for another turn to hit the harbor city. Smart little bastards. :v:

It would be nice if MP had better multi-combat mechanics though. Waiting for people to finish their fight to keep running your turn is tedious and pretty much takes large scale MP out of the equation.

Is there at least a PBEM option? I didn't think to check.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 2, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Pomp posted:

If entering combat pauses the game for all players, what are the disadvantages to just playing multiplayer in classic turn mode?

You can't all be looking at and moving on the strategic map at the same time, basically. If you're doing auto-only vs AI, it's much much faster. But overall alternating turns isn't really that much different.

Archonex posted:

It would be nice if MP had better multi-combat mechanics though. Waiting for people to finish their fight to keep running your turn is tedious and pretty much takes large scale MP out of the equation.

Is there at least a PBEM option? I didn't think to check.

PBEM didn't make it into the release version it seems, but I'd bet it'll probably show up sooner or later.

You might try out that house rule about Tactical Combat I mentioned earlier and see what you think, I've found it works pretty well to keep the pace of the game moving in previous games.

Also helps to run the game in Windowed mode so you can do other poo poo while waiting for other players. :I

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 2, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So i am doing the elf mission 2, do the draconian dudes like tropical land type?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

So i am doing the elf mission 2, do the draconian dudes like tropical land type?

No, but they don't dislike it and many other races do. If you bring up the unit panel for a draconian unit, and mouse over the morale face icon in the top right corner, it will show you what terrain Draconians like and dislike. Alternately, mouse over the happiness face icon for a draconian city.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Daktari posted:

Well, well, you don't use battering rams for city defense? I try to keep two in each city to avoid losing them to wandering dudes.

And rams in the beginning of a map. They are pretty nice for cheap, throw away tank units

e: noone have any clue to where I can look up what all the spells are out of game?

Looking up spells and traits outside of game:
The best resource I've found AT THE MOMENT is a series of pretty comprehensive YouTube videos by iHunterKiller. He has created a How to Play AoW3 series. In particular, the section on magic starts from video 11, Fire Specialization

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Koldenblue posted:

I found out that right-clicking on those messages will actually cycle through them. I wish this were more obvious though. I feel like there's a lot of little flaws in the UI, and that's the area that could use the most improvement.

I know, but in Warlock 2 you can open them all out or decide what order they pop up in, so the more important stuff is there before the stuff you don't care about.

And yea, the AI is really amazing I don't know why anyone could think otherwise. It might be the first game I've seen the AI properly buff their units and wheel around the back of your territory with a single flier stealing cities, as well as a host of other stuff.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Archonex posted:

Playing as a high level dreadnought nation against smaller, less developed nations is hilarious and incredibly evil outside the scope of the mechanics if you do it right.

All I did to breach the walls of this one city was combine all my spy drones that were finished scouting into one army and then bum rush the defenders. Cue a near nuclear explosion as everything just kind of blew up. The AI didn't even know what to do except let half the town get torched by suicidal drones. This was followed by a wave of infantry sieging the few remaining defenders, along with a volley of bullets slamming into the scorched remnants.

Drone warfare at its best. :getin:

Nthing this. I thought the spy drone was a joke unit, then I realized exactly how big of a boom the deathsplosion is (It makes a goddamned mushroom cloud!). I like having a wing of cheapo drones as a separate stack, moving them in one big blob in the fight (here, who would you rather shoot, me or my high-explosive buddies flanking you?) - they tend to distract big fat AI bruiser units, and if they're moving in a neat cluster the poor sucker will usually set off an overlapping chain reaction of explosions while at it. They're less surveillance drones and more very, very smart missiles!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Have the day off, anyone want to play multiplayer? hit me up http://steamcommunity.com/id/wya

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Went from having no idea what this game was to buying it within 24 hours. I actually grabbed HoMM3 off of GOG a few days ago out of hotseat nostalgia - guess I could have saved that money. The hero trailers and how to play vids definitely pushed me in the right direction, but I have to say that it was hearing about the AI that pushed me over the edge.

It actually reminds me of Unity of Command in that way, where you really can't doze off because the AI is vicious, and generally clever enough to use all of the weapons available to it. I'm sure that people may eventually figure out how to exploit it, but for now it seems like if you get beat, it's usually your gently caress up, and you legitimately feel a sense of satisfaction when you win.

e: Also the first game I've bought at full price in years. I'm actually glad that I didn't know about it ahead of time, since waiting would have been unbearable. Huge props to everyone at Triumph Studios.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just had one of those city quests where I had to kill a frost dragon. I achieved this by first swarming it with high-explosive spy drones - its frost breath would leave the affected drones at a couple HP each, and then on my turn I just kamikazed the dragon with one drone after another. Once I'd spent my drones, all my leader needed to do was to step in and bore it a new nostril with a seekered musket.

Dreadnought all day erryday!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

WYA posted:

Obama applauds you

Glad to hear drone warfare is so viable, in my first few dreadnought games I was having trouble with the chunkier units.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Taear posted:

Yeah, this annoys me. Please, please, please take a cue from Civ V and make it so that violating someones territory is an actual act of war. It's incredibly obnoxious to have the AI waltzing around in your land and makes Open Borders more meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

dud root posted:

I tend to just forget about casting when not in battle

It really hurts the whole strategic spell layer that using in-combat spells with your leader takes the same casting points you use for summons and global spells. And of course the one-spell-per-turn limit also limits the amount of mana you can spend and the amount of use you get out of casting in general.

• Locked thread