Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

It really hurts the whole strategic spell layer that using in-combat spells with your leader takes the same casting points you use for summons and global spells. And of course the one-spell-per-turn limit also limits the amount of mana you can spend and the amount of use you get out of casting in general.

I'm ok with the pools being the same, I just wish your in-battle casting points regen a bit every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotapper
Sep 16, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

It's sort of a bug, the AI counts the number of ranged units you have, and decides to leave the walls based on that. So, if there are two ranged units defending, and you turn up with 4 or more ranged units (including heroes and such), the AI comes out immediately. I have a fix in the next patch that should address it, the AI will still come out from behind the walls sometimes, but it should do so in a more intelligent way.

OK I just saw the AI do this. I attacked a city using fewer ranged units, expecting them to rush out. Instead, the AI put its archers on the wall and massed its infantry behind the gates. Of course I didn't bring any siege engines and lost, but it was pretty cool. They even opened a gate to kill my unit that was bashing it down, then shut the gate again.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

kojicolnair posted:

Having a hard time with the second mission in the elf campaign, I can deal with everything except the manticore riders and man do they use those a lot. Anyone have advice about which units I can make that could handle them?

Horned Gods. As many as you can carry.

That mission made me realize I don't really like the archdruid. outside of the HG it just feels like playing a poor man's mage.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gerblyn posted:

It's sort of a bug, the AI counts the number of ranged units you have, and decides to leave the walls based on that. So, if there are two ranged units defending, and you turn up with 4 or more ranged units (including heroes and such), the AI comes out immediately. I have a fix in the next patch that should address it, the AI will still come out from behind the walls sometimes, but it should do so in a more intelligent way.

Does the AI also consider if you have phasing, flying, or wall climbing units?

Do you guys know if you're going to be doing smaller, more frequent patches, or larger ones? Or if you'll be doing open beta testing for patches like some games do?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'd say the only true problem I have with the game is the same one that's present in every Age of Wonders game, but feels a bit more obvious in this because there are fewer races.
It's that there aren't very many units that are "unique". So my goblin army tends to be all Big Beetles, my Dwarf army is all Firstborn and so on.

Yes there's the class units and I use them too and they're good and allay the problem a bit, but I do wish say Dwarfs had Firstborn AND Steam tanks (which was their top tier in AoW2) or something, so you had two choices that were both interesting and did good stuff.

Incidentally I like that in many ways the game is more of a sequel to AoW1, with Archons back as the name of the "High Men" and Firstborn as the Dwarf top tier. Woo!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Taear posted:

I'd say the only true problem I have with the game is the same one that's present in every Age of Wonders game, but feels a bit more obvious in this because there are fewer races.
It's that there aren't very many units that are "unique". So my goblin army tends to be all Big Beetles, my Dwarf army is all Firstborn and so on.

Yes there's the class units and I use them too and they're good and allay the problem a bit, but I do wish say Dwarfs had Firstborn AND Steam tanks (which was their top tier in AoW2) or something, so you had two choices that were both interesting and did good stuff.

Incidentally I like that in many ways the game is more of a sequel to AoW1, with Archons back as the name of the "High Men" and Firstborn as the Dwarf top tier. Woo!

This is probably a symptom of the way classes change the game pretty fundamentally. I use racial units very sparingly and highly favour my class units. For example I tend to build rifle heavy armies with a strong alpha strike supported by only a few swordsmen base unit. Sometimes in the late game I'll supplement the rifles with spears though since the first strike is really strong for defending. I've played dreadnought mostly so far though so I don't have a lot of insight into the other classes yet. The golem is a wonderful slugger though and really complements a dread army. I actually think of rifles as primary support until you get those big units in as well. The fact they can only fire once every 2 turns is really bad for even engagements.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, High Elf Dreadnaught is Actually pretty horrifying. Good mobility on the musketeers, they hit like a freight train at a distance further then you might expect, and their Griffon Riders have Sidearms to make them a double pile of gently caress You.

I love how even going for a non-intuitive approach is completely viable in this game. Definitely my pick for top 4X in recent years.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Demiurge4 posted:

This is probably a symptom of the way classes change the game pretty fundamentally. I use racial units very sparingly and highly favour my class units. For example I tend to build rifle heavy armies with a strong alpha strike supported by only a few swordsmen base unit. Sometimes in the late game I'll supplement the rifles with spears though since the first strike is really strong for defending. I've played dreadnought mostly so far though so I don't have a lot of insight into the other classes yet. The golem is a wonderful slugger though and really complements a dread army. I actually think of rifles as primary support until you get those big units in as well. The fact they can only fire once every 2 turns is really bad for even engagements.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are the class ones and they can make armies too, but I'd just like some more racial units. Like I say, the other games were the same, it's not exclusive to AoW3. I can't remember ever making a Halfling army that wasn't just Leprechauns for example.
They did have a few more SLIGHTLY unique troops though, such as the halfling sheriff.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

It varies with class, I think. Dreadnaught stands out for having basically an entirely separate tech tree, whereas Druids and Sorcerers for example are much more reliant on summons and only get a couple of actual added recruitable units. (I think Sorceress gets...one?) They still need racial units to fill out their armies at least until late game.

Warlords get a good selection of uniques but they're all humanoid, which means race bonuses remain an interesting calculation for them throughout the game. They have a few holes they can fill with racial units, too.

Theocrats have a few good class units but you can't rely entirely of them, Rogues get some awesome irregulars and that's it, not even a Tier 4. It's a cool focused playstyle but if you want to build anything besides ninja's and ghost ninja's and charmers you'll be falling back on racial units pretty quick.

quote:

Don't get me wrong, I know there are the class ones and they can make armies too, but I'd just like some more racial units. Like I say, the other games were the same, it's not exclusive to AoW3. I can't remember ever making a Halfling army that wasn't just Leprechauns for example.
They did have a few more SLIGHTLY unique troops though, such as the halfling sheriff.

I get what you're saying. The old races could be pretty samey, but they at least got 2 (3 with SM) Tier 3 units and a Tier 4, whereas AOW 3 has classes fill in most of the high tier slots, leaving races lacking some of the cooler options they used to have, but that's hard to avoid with the new race/class system. It wouldn't hurt if we had more races though, especially some that aren't standard fantasy archtypes.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 2, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Alectai posted:

So, High Elf Dreadnaught is Actually pretty horrifying. Good mobility on the musketeers, they hit like a freight train at a distance further then you might expect, and their Griffon Riders have Sidearms to make them a double pile of gently caress You.

I love how even going for a non-intuitive approach is completely viable in this game. Definitely my pick for top 4X in recent years.

God I love that loving Sidearm upgrade. It's so great and gives more ways of attacking.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Yes, keep summoning as long as you have spare casting points and mana income.

I'm not comfortable changing the actual mechanics for disjunction in an early patch. I've modified the AI so it's a bit smarter. To cut a long story short, there's now only a 1 in 15 chance (ish) of the AI trying to dispel something which doesn't directly affect it (like a global that increases you gold income) and a 1 in 3 (ish) chance for a spell which does (like if you cast Incite Revolt on one of its cities). Hopefully this will make the AI act more like a player, more interested in casting their own spells than using mana to mess up other peoples.

Another issue with changing mana costs for dispelling is that the cheating AI will have way more mana than you, so you end up hurting players much more than the AI, which isn't really the idea.

Man, it also cheats on mana gains? I thought it would only cheat in the economic (money) part. or is in the research amount where it cheats?

That's not "a bit smarter", but "a bit more playable". In fact, think about what you are proposing, it's basically making it dumber (2/3 chance of not acting when it should act!) to compensate AI cheats. Lower the AI cheats, then you don't have the need of making it dumber!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
http://steamcommunity.com/games/226840/announcements/detail/1712799761297233865

quote:

Our plans for the first AoWIII update/patch
2 APRIL - LGSAS
Hi everybody,

The dust is settling after launch; so it's time for an update! The team is very happy and humbled with the overall reception so far: reviews, sales, but most importantly we’re happy with overall fan reaction. But of course we can always do better. We’ve spent 39 months developing Age of Wonders III, and we're planning on supporting the game for a long period of time. We’ll release patches, free new features and dlc/expansion packs and we’re looking forward to implementing lots of feedback from the community. For the first update/patch, which will go live in the coming days we are looking at the following items:

Likely fixes:

* WQHD / QHD (up to 2560 x 1440 / 2560 *1600) native resolution display support (the Black & White boxes and blurry text should disappear)
* Frame Drops, particularly when having an army selected removed.
* AI Difficulty lowered for “Squire” – people dying a lot in the first Elven Court mission is not good.
* AI Global Spell Disjunction Spamming is limited
* AI Leaving their walls less quickly in combat
* Disabling of controller / joystick input to avoid camera drift
* Saving profile – e.g. graphics settings – fixed for the ‘Guest’ account.

New Features:
* Previous/Next Button for Cities (added to the city header)
* Quick Save Option.

This Auto-Steam update should drop in the next couple of days. This is just a start! We have many other updates and fixes in the works, including an option to disable observing multiplayer tactical combat between other players.

We are also looking for additional fixes for people having troubles with the online account system, folks getting the game to run through their routers, and compatibility with certain integrated Graphics Laptops / Tablets. Please check the Support Forums and Knowledge base for updates and don’t hesitate to contact us when you have trouble getting the game running smoothly on your equipment.

Thanks for your support!
-The Team @ Triumph

New Features:
* Quick Save Option.

:swoon:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Shadowmorn posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/226840/announcements/detail/1712799761297233865

New Features:
* Quick Save Option.

:swoon:

I really wanted the next button for cities and this makes me very happy

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, it also cheats on mana gains? I thought it would only cheat in the economic (money) part. or is in the research amount where it cheats?

That's not "a bit smarter", but "a bit more playable". In fact, think about what you are proposing, it's basically making it dumber (2/3 chance of not acting when it should act!) to compensate AI cheats. Lower the AI cheats, then you don't have the need of making it dumber!

I think his oversimplification of the change is causing you to make inferences that aren't there.

He's claiming an overall reduced chance of the spell being cast, he's not detailing to you the various mechanisms, preferences and probabilities that led to that overall reduction number.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Sorcerer is mad fun. My High-Elven Witchqueen managed to produce a Gold Wyvern mount for herself with the Invoke Mount spell, and now she is flying around the map with her entourage of Phantasm Warriors decimating anyone who doesn't flee at the sight of her.

Chaos Rift is absolutely insane. As long as my leader can cast (Blind! :argh:) she can really take down anyone practically by herself. I cast Chaos Rift, park myself right near the edge of the map, and then target whatever is immune to Shock damage with my other spells each turn. The Rift will constantly resupply meatshields to draw the attention of the defenders while electrocuting them to death, and if anyone gets close, I fly away and blast 'em.

I took Air Mastery, but looking back, Sorcerer already gets so much Shock damage that I think Earth or something would probably have been better? Oh well.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

bennyfranks posted:

I took Air Mastery, but looking back, Sorcerer already gets so much Shock damage that I think Earth or something would probably have been better? Oh well.

I had the same. :haw: Not had enough time with the other spheres but a heal would have been appreciated.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Can you add an option to always speed up animations? After the first day I'm already tired of them and tired of having to right click a second time every time I move or attack with every unit. And sometimes the game gets a bit of lag and it doesn't register the second click if you do it very fast.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Taear posted:

I think that's generally a problem with higher tier units being exclusively better than lower tier ones. Ideally from a design perspective, you'd want players to need an army with a mix of probably Tier 2-4 troops to cover all of your roles. If that's not how the game is working out then the unit balance probably just needs a good look over. IIRC this is something that Dwigg's mod tried to address in SM, though I didn't end up playing it enough to get an idea on how well it did that.

It could be a matter of looking at unit costs and upkeep and build times, or tweaking how many roles they cover, or how effective one role is against another (ie should a Tier 2 pikeman be able to stand up against a Tier 4 cavalry, being that it's the natural counter to them?). Balance is complicated though and the game is still really new.

Note that I'm speaking pretty generally here because I've barely gotten to touch on to T4 units so far in AoW3 yet so I have no idea how they look overall. :I

Turin Turambar posted:

Can you add an option to always speed up animations? After the first day I'm already tired of them and tired of having to right click a second time every time I move or attack with every unit. And sometimes the game gets a bit of lag and it doesn't register the second click if you do it very fast.

I'd like this too, previous games had options for Fast and Very Fast movement speeds and I really think this game should have them too.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

I wish the Evolving units did so a bit earlier. It takes quite a while to get a Gold medal on your Apprentice/Hatchling whatever, and you still only wind up with a tier 2 or 1 unit which you could have made an army of by the time you get your baby unit up to snuff.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

bennyfranks posted:

I wish the Evolving units did so a bit earlier. It takes quite a while to get a Gold medal on your Apprentice/Hatchling whatever, and you still only wind up with a tier 2 or 1 unit which you could have made an army of by the time you get your baby unit up to snuff.

I think for all the effort you put them into evolving, they should retain their rank after they evolve.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

bennyfranks posted:

The baby spiders makes some good poo poo

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to build your cities?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I don't get the qualms people have with Shooters. They're really good for clearing the map and defending in my experience as you can quite easily lure the AI into a concave of Shooters and melt them one or two at a time.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

This has easily been my favorite impulse buy of the past year or so, and there have been many.

I'm a bit peeved that I bought Civ/HoMM V now that everything I've wanted from them has been supplanted and improved upon. :smithicide:

Oh, and the goblin succubi alone make this game worth playing.

Caustic Soda posted:

HoMM V is 7 years old. Did you mean HoMM VI?

Yep, my bad.

LaSalsaVerde fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 2, 2014

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Dirty_Moses posted:

This has easily been my favorite impulse buy of the past year or so, and there have been many.

I'm a bit peeved that I bought Civ/HoMM V now that everything I've wanted from them has been supplanted and improved upon. :smithicide:

Oh, and the goblin succubi alone make this game worth playing.

HoMM V is 7 years old. Did you mean HoMM VI?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Scrolling through list of pre-made characters. Encounter female goblin rogue.

I was not prepared

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Scrolling through list of pre-made characters. Encounter female goblin rogue.

I was not prepared

She's a rear end in a top hat in the mission she's in too :argh:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Turin Turambar posted:

The hex grid also seems to be a bit inconsistent when it comes to actually staying toggled as well.

Also that's a speedy patch, big thanks for your work.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I.. think spy drones are kind of OP against AI - throw one forward and he'll surround it with all his melee units to try and flank it, kindly setting them all up for suicide bombing.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Ok, someone who has made it through the Torchbearer Campaign, how do you capture the enemy leaders? I thought I was supposed to kill them with a melee attack from the hero that had the magic wand, but that doesn't seem to do anything, and capturing the enemy capital is an automatic mission failure.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't think I really get Draconians. Flyers are godlike, Raptors are dangerous, and Elders are pretty great, but their other troops feel like they have too many weaknesses. Chargers and Crushers do insane psycho damage but they're so slow and fragile that they get ripped to pieces trying to employ it. Flamers are great against enemies that cluster but terrible shooters otherwise. Hatchlings seem utterly pointless; I can babysit a terribly weak, fragile unit to gold medal to get a free tier 1 or tier 2 unit, whoop de doo why wouldn't I just build the unit itself for 15 more gold?

Any Draconian players want to fill me in on what works best with them? Is it really just Flyer/Elder spam?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Wolpertinger posted:

I.. think spy drones are kind of OP against AI - throw one forward and he'll surround it with all his melee units to try and flank it, kindly setting them all up for suicide bombing.

Agreed, it should prolly not incur counter attacks. :haw: Abusing it on my stream currently.

Also Gerblyn, is it a bug that neutral towns at war offer you a quest that only has the dialogue "gently caress you, get out."? Its slightly annoying, not that i want a quest from them, i just dont want the popup.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

I don't think I really get Draconians. Flyers are godlike, Raptors are dangerous, and Elders are pretty great, but their other troops feel like they have too many weaknesses. Chargers and Crushers do insane psycho damage but they're so slow and fragile that they get ripped to pieces trying to employ it. Flamers are great against enemies that cluster but terrible shooters otherwise. Hatchlings seem utterly pointless; I can babysit a terribly weak, fragile unit to gold medal to get a free tier 1 or tier 2 unit, whoop de doo why wouldn't I just build the unit itself for 15 more gold?

Any Draconian players want to fill me in on what works best with them? Is it really just Flyer/Elder spam?

I just wish they went further with the Aztec aesthetic

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

This is all theory since I haven't been able to play much, but it seems like they would work very well if you use your class troops very heavily, and utilize the Raptors/Flyers/Elders as well. I've been underwhelmed by most of their troops too, but I imagine they would hit very hard if you have some Monster Hunters or Mounted Archers helping you out.

Rabhadh posted:

I just wish they went further with the Aztec aesthetic

I agree, but I still find it amusing that Mesoamerican indigenous cultures are so frequently linked to reptile people in fantasy.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

Agreed, it should prolly not incur counter attacks. :haw: Abusing it on my stream currently.

Also Gerblyn, is it a bug that neutral towns at war offer you a quest that only has the dialogue "gently caress you, get out."? Its slightly annoying, not that i want a quest from them, i just dont want the popup.

I think counter attacks are OK, because if enemies are smart they're the only way you'll force your drone to detonate, and enemies can pick them off with ranged/fire immune units not too difficultly. The thing they should just fix is make the AI somehow recognize drones as a 'avoid melee at all costs, and if you have to go into melee, don't surround it' unit.

They're still so cheap, though! I can imagine a wizard with like 120 casting points summoning four per round and just constantly bombarding an enemy city with suicide bombers before coming in with the kill. :haw:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Are there any unit buffs you cast in the geoscape or are they all battlescape spells now? That seems like one of the bigger re-balances from previous games to me. Offset somewhat by the hero abilities that grant +1 stat here or there I guess. I'm still going to miss doom stacks with enchanted weapon, unholy champion, fire halo, stone skin etc. etc. though.

Fledgling Gulps fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 2, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Still having some trouble on how units are healed. I know some health is returned each turn marching except for machines. Outside of taking Repair as a hero skill or getting gold-ranked engineers is there a good way to keeping my flame tanks from exploding?

E: and I know this would take an OP class and have it break the game over it's knee but I'm still miffed that the Engineer's rapid reload is only ever useful for the cannons.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 2, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kanos posted:

Well at least they're staying true to their AOW2/SM roots!

Seriously, they had the exact same problem in the older games. Hatchlings were useless, their infantry was weird and not very effective, Flamers (Cone based, but similar concept) were at best situational, and their whole gameplay revolved around Elder/Flyer/Dragon spam. Sucked early and powerful late.

That said, I haven't actually played around with them yet in this game, so maybe I'm overlooking something. Chargers at least have the potential to butcher Cav if they can get in range.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Kanos posted:

Draconians

Well, the game just came out, but here goes my conjecture: Draconian units are slightly weaker than other races probably due to all that fire damage. Their infantry are poor, but still useful as a fodder screen for better units. I don't think Flamers are bad, though -- they seem pretty great against Goblin T1/T2 hordes. Think of them sort of like Elves (great damage, shoddy front line), except with more of a focus on flanking units rather than archers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Did I just encounter a bugg, or have I messed up something here? :ohdear:
Elven campaign #4: 2 of the heroes Nomlik and Reskar have theirs skills reset in the beginning of the map.
I can't give them extra HP!!! - they are stuck at 40HP. And we all know how this is gonna turn out. Welp, the maps ends if either of these fools die in combat.

• Locked thread