Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dublish posted:

New career mode game, went to track some asteroids and found one remarkably close by.

So now I've got about a week to slap a space program together and capture this thing.

with an orbit that elliptical... good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
We had a lot of fun with those monitors. One of them is supposed to be browsing GBS at work but it ended up too much of a blurry mess to be recognizable :saddowns:

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

JohnSherman posted:

Does anyone else using a Mac have constant issues with it crashing while loading the launchpad? Not just with this version, but the past several? I started the game up this morning and was very quickly reminded why I stopped playing in the first place.

I asked MaxMaps about Mac issues a couple days ago. He said he'd check with the team.

I get more crashes on OS X than Win7 too. Does it freeze on the black loading screen with the orbit loading graphic? Mine crashes like 20% of the time on that. It's maddening. I have Win7 installed on my iMac solely for KSP.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Maxmaps posted:

We had a lot of fun with those monitors. One of them is supposed to be browsing GBS at work but it ended up too much of a blurry mess to be recognizable :saddowns:

There's a guy playing Kerbal Space Program inside Kerbal Space Program. Where does it end? :ohdear:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't managed to catch an asteroid yet (I have enough trouble getting to the Mun), but what would you do with it once you caught it? Just redirect it to an orbit and let it go? Can you get science from them?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OK stupid KSP newbie question again

I've got the Science Jr and I blast off with it stuck under my lander, take a load of readings and sciency stuff, upon landing the fucker blows up, recover the module, no science points

Next time I do the same, manage to get it down, take a surface reading and get a message saying dust has hosed up my readings, recover the stuff, no science points

So I think "lets do this poo poo properly" add some landing feet so I don't blow it up, don't open it up on the ground, everything seems perfect so I recover the module. NO loving SCIENCE POINTS.

I don't even know...

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Germstore posted:

That's strange. It's mirrored.

borkencode posted:

That's not the right map for Kerbin.
:goonsay:

OAquinas posted:

Oh wait, yeah, the world map is mirrored. My bad.

Looks like somebody forgot to flip the libnoise example map and add the crater.

-----

Speaking of that screen from the trailer though though, Max - when can we expect the in-game map screen to look like it's Mission Command, with little kerbals at the bottom MST3k-style?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The crater's there.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

AceClown posted:

OK stupid KSP newbie question again

I've got the Science Jr and I blast off with it stuck under my lander, take a load of readings and sciency stuff, upon landing the fucker blows up, recover the module, no science points

Next time I do the same, manage to get it down, take a surface reading and get a message saying dust has hosed up my readings, recover the stuff, no science points

So I think "lets do this poo poo properly" add some landing feet so I don't blow it up, don't open it up on the ground, everything seems perfect so I recover the module. NO loving SCIENCE POINTS.

I don't even know...

Are you making sure you "keep" the data after you run the science experiment? It's the big green button on the window that pops up. After you land, you should be able to run your science jr -> hit "keep" -> recover vessel, and when you get back to KSC scene it will have a science window showing your gains. After you run the experiment and "keep" it, you can actually grab the data out of the science jr. on an EVA walk and your kerbal will be carrying it around instead.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 2, 2014

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The Green Calx posted:

Are you making sure you "keep" the data after you run the science experiment? It's the big green button on the window that pops up. After you land, you should be able to run your science jr -> hit "keep" -> recover vessel, and when you get back to KSC scene it will have a science window showing your gains. After you run the experiment and "keep" it, you can actually grab the data out of the science jr. on an EVA walk and your kerbal will be carrying it around instead.

Yeah, I'm deffo hitting the green clipboard to keep the data, I did wonder about having to get out and pull the data out manually but it just seemed counter intuitive given that I was recovering the module with the actual data in it anyway.

I'll have another go tomorrow, the thought of doing the exact same thing for a 4th time has killed my spirit.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
CRACK THE SKY

Big rockets stable now I go to spas

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Germstore posted:

The crater's there.

Ah, indeed. You can just barely make out the rim in that screenshot.

It looks like they did the sea-level raise as well, and of course added the polar caps. Just didn't flip it. Still, it's recognizably the default example map from libnoise, as a fun bit of trivia.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Green Calx posted:

Yeah, make sure you hit "keep" and not "reset" or "Transmit" (the latter assuming you want to return it for full science points). The green bar will show how much science you'll get for returning it to Kerbin. If you transmit, you get the (reduced) science points right then and there, instantly (doesn't show up on the craft return summary).

Science is stored in the actual testing module initially. An EVA Kerbal can pull it out and stuff it into a pod, but the pod can only hold 1 report of each test type. Also, if you pull out the science report some testing apparatus (goo, materials bay) will become inert and can't be reused unless cleaned out by the MPL.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hey Maxmaps, all this content is fantastic and I'm really happy to see the collaboration with NASA. Which reminds me! NASA is super cool about a lot of things, including its insistence on 'crewed' missions rather than 'manned'. I'd like to raise a call again for some lady kerbonauts, given that people like Tereshkova and Sally Ride were pioneers and that NASA's existing program is really great about drawing talent from any gender or nationality. I know it's 'just' an aesthetic feature but for a lot of people out there (especially kids maybe getting into aerospace) I think it'd be pretty big.

Even a bunch of lady Kerbal names in the name tables (or wherever they're drawn from) would be really great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

What the hell, that's nuts.

Did they seriously GIS for a planet texture and use the first suitable hit?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Green Calx are you an actual insane person.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Reminder that even tiny asteroids are large enough to cover an entire craft in shadows.

It took three months for it to get power back, during which the mün whizzed by and flung it out of orbit.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Alehkhs posted:

:staredog:

All this time, I thought it was parts of earth cobbled together. The continent KSC is on always reminded me of Africa, and other parts looked like North and South America with different scales.

I need to think about my life, now.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm guessing Squad probably started off using it as a placeholder and are now sort of stuck with it. It works perfectly fine as an object to point your rockets away from.

I just started a new career playthrough - are asteroids a viable source of early/mid game science, even if you haven't unlocked enough tech to grapple them or have any hope of dragging them around?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mother of god

It is time

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

I'm guessing Squad probably started off using it as a placeholder and are now sort of stuck with it. It works perfectly fine as an object to point your rockets away from.

I just started a new career playthrough - are asteroids a viable source of early/mid game science, even if you haven't unlocked enough tech to grapple them or have any hope of dragging them around?

One way to find out! I intend to try with tier 2 rockets when I get home tonight.

As an aside, you get Mainsails REALLY early now.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

You can still go there and collect samples, but that's about it. There's no science awarded for rendezvous with an asteroid, nor is there any to be had with grappling or returning from near one.

that said, Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus are great sources of science if you're into biome hopping. Way easier to get to than most asteroids too, given their usual highly elliptical orbits.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Any good hopper strategies out there? On my last career mode, I had a space station with a science lab orbiting the mun and a ship that would land, do science, and head back up for processing in the lab. Is that basically what everyone else is doing?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Karki posted:

Any good hopper strategies out there? On my last career mode, I had a space station with a science lab orbiting the mun and a ship that would land, do science, and head back up for processing in the lab. Is that basically what everyone else is doing?

Yeah, that works. It works even better on Minmus because your hopper can be that much flimsier and still do its job. Mine was about the size of an SUV and could land and reorbit with 4 ant engines and 4 of the gold ring tanks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Somebody asked a couple of pages back about a list of biomes for Kerbin. www.kerbalmaps.com has comprehensive biome maps for Kerbin, Mun and Minmus, with a slick zoomable interface.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Rectus posted:

Reminder that even tiny asteroids are large enough to cover an entire craft in shadows.

It took three months for it to get power back, during which the mün whizzed by and flung it out of orbit.

This is a very important announcement and I'm glad I saw it before I did the same stupid thing.

Always keep an eye on where the Sun is and rotate your ship if necessary.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

mad.radhu posted:

with an orbit that elliptical... good luck

Who needs luck when you have giant rockets? :jeb:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Rectus posted:

Obviously the solution to this is to make your solar power array wider than the asteroid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

peepsalot posted:

Obviously the solution to this is to make your solar power array wider than the asteroid.

Hell, just borrow illectro's Solar Spider. Assuming Infernal Robotics is ARM-ready anyway :v:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

So what's the best way to rendezvous with an asteroid - wait for it to approach and try to capture it, or head out to Kerbol SOI and catch it there? Because I was trying the first way last night without much luck. Some of those orbits are crazy eccentric.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Instead of just complaining about the new ion engines, I thought I'd make a duna lander to showcase how silly they are

Full powered descent, no aerobraking required (Or possible for that matter), and not much different from just enabling infinite fuel in terms of how difficult it was to perform (Not at all)

TheKnife fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 2, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there any way to tell on the map if an inclined object's orbital path goes directly over KSC (or your current location, anyway) besides by eyeball, for the sake of heavily inclined launches?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

xzzy posted:

What the hell, that's nuts.

Did they seriously GIS for a planet texture and use the first suitable hit?

Not quite! We actually used libnoise with the default settings for an earthlike world to make Kerbin, which generates that map. By now it's only similar to the base libnoise in landmass distribution, since we keep messing with the topography.

General Battuta posted:

Hey Maxmaps, all this content is fantastic and I'm really happy to see the collaboration with NASA. Which reminds me! NASA is super cool about a lot of things, including its insistence on 'crewed' missions rather than 'manned'. I'd like to raise a call again for some lady kerbonauts, given that people like Tereshkova and Sally Ride were pioneers and that NASA's existing program is really great about drawing talent from any gender or nationality. I know it's 'just' an aesthetic feature but for a lot of people out there (especially kids maybe getting into aerospace) I think it'd be pretty big.

Even a bunch of lady Kerbal names in the name tables (or wherever they're drawn from) would be really great.

We're on it, but feel just adding lady names is unacceptable. Girlbals will have their own models.

malk83
Sep 3, 2008

Loving the ARM pack. If nothing else, it's encouraged me to break away from MechJeb again, which is always good. Having intercepted an asteroid out past Minmus, I decided to bring it home...

This still seems like a good idea, let's pop the chutes (all six of them).

Nailed it! Good job Jeb :jeb:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Maxmaps posted:

Girlbals will have their own models.

I'm very pleased with this sentence.

I'm also really excited for when people decide that the current asteroids are "too easy" and start making mods for larger and larger asteroids.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any way to tell on the map if an inclined object's orbital path goes directly over KSC (or your current location, anyway) besides by eyeball, for the sake of heavily inclined launches?

This is what I asked earlier. A tool to do this would be a huge help.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Maxmaps posted:

We're on it, but feel just adding lady names is unacceptable. Girlbals will have their own models.

Will you actually be able to tell that they're female from looking at their spacesuits, or will it just be the same spacesuit, different facial model?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pyroi posted:

Will you actually be able to tell that they're female from looking at their spacesuits, or will it just be the same spacesuit, different facial model?

Basically do they have tits?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Has anyone tried out Realism Overhaul? If so, does it work well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pyroi posted:

the spacesuits will be pink and say GIRL IN A VIDEO GAME in big letters

• Locked thread