Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Looks like the Amazon Fire TV could be the mythical do-everything box everyone's been waiting for. It will do Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Hulu, and a lot more, plus it runs Android, so XBMC shouldn't be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Should have sold my aTV2 for $200 when I had the chance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Should have sold my aTV2 for $200 when I had the chance.

They're still $200+ on ebay. More if already jailbroken.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

wolfbiker posted:

Looks like the Amazon Fire TV could be the mythical do-everything box everyone's been waiting for. It will do Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Hulu, and a lot more, plus it runs Android, so XBMC shouldn't be an issue.

How much?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's going on right now. Probably $200ish.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/amazon-liveblog-video-device/

EDIT: $99. That's impressive.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 2, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're comparing it to Roku and AppleTV. They'd be fools to price it over $100 and since it's Amazon, they'll sell it as close to $0 margin as they can.

EDIT: $99

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

They're comparing it to Roku and AppleTV. They'd be fools to price it over $100 and since it's Amazon, they'll sell it as close to $0 margin as they can.

EDIT: $99

Unless the user experience is amazing I can't see it beating out the new $50 Roku stick that supports all the same services.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
If it can run XBMC then I'd be happy. I've been chasing the all in one HTPC dream for awhile and gave up. I just hope it can be controlled by my Harmony Smart Control.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

They're already advertising Plex app as one of the channels/services. Plex's website or blog hasn't been updated yet, but Plex's Android tablet app was already available on the Amazon App Store for the Kindle Fire tablets. On my Nexus 7, the Plex app has a "TV mode" setting. I imagine the FireTV interface will look a lot like that.

How well is XBMC running on Ouya and the other Chinese Android devices now that XBMC has full Android support? Is hardware HD video acceleration/decoding supported across the board, or at least for most chipsets?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I recently installed XBMC on my Nexus 5 phone and it worked amazingly and played back a 1080p x264 file seamlessly, so if this Fire thing can install XBMC (which since it's Android, it should be able to somehow) it should play everything fine. It's a quad-core with 2GB of RAM, BUT I don't think it has a LAN port, just wireless.

Edit: It has a 10/100 port.

Size 4.5" x 4.5" x 0.7" (115 mm x 115 mm x 17.5 mm)
Weight 9.9 oz (281 grams)
SOC Platform Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064
Processor Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
Storage 8 GB internal
Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ
Wi-Fi Connectivity Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. 802.11a/b/g/n
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0 with support for the following profiles: HID, HFP 1.6, SPP
Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content
Ports 5.5 mm DC Jack, Type A HDMI 1.4b output, w/HDCP, Optical Audio (TOSLINK), 10/100 Ethernet, USB 2.0 Type A
Audio Support for Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch Stereo and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1
Content Formats Supported Video: H.263, H.264, MPEG4-SP, VC1
Audio AAC, AC-3, E-AC-3, HE-A, PCM, MP3
Photo JPG, PNG
Output Resolution Supported 720p and 1080p up to 60fps

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 2, 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

wolfbiker posted:

BUT I don't think it has a LAN port, just wireless.

The FireTV has an ethernet port. http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-CL1130-Fire-TV/dp/B00CX5P8FC#tech

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The app store is up for the FireTV

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_7031...6462227&lo=none

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

It has a USB port as well but in the manual it just says that it supports no accessories at this time. If this can eventually be made to play local content I'll get one for sure.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

wolfbiker posted:

Edit: It has a 10/100 port.

They still make 10/100 poo poo?? Why in the world would this not have gigabit ethernet?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TraderStav posted:

Unless the user experience is amazing I can't see it beating out the new $50 Roku stick that supports all the same services.

It's running Android, which means it's going to have a way more flexible gui than Roku, so the UI could be much better. Plex's will be at least. That also means much more extensibility.

fletcher posted:

They still make 10/100 poo poo?? Why in the world would this not have gigabit ethernet?

Because what the hell are you going to be doing with a FireTV that requires gigabit Ethernet?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Crackbone posted:

Because what the hell are you going to be doing with a FireTV that requires gigabit Ethernet?

Running XBMC and playing files from a NAS. Way snappier experience on gigabit.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elston Gunn posted:

It has a USB port as well but in the manual it just says that it supports no accessories at this time. If this can eventually be made to play local content I'll get one for sure.

Someone said it'll have the Plex app which is fine I guess. Personally I hate the vanilla Plex skin on the Roku/etc so I'll hope for XBMC. The base UI they showed off looks a lot like XBMC which is interesting, I wonder if they forked it.

quote:

100 is fine for streaming Bluray and its probably just a cost cutting thing. They're competing with the Chromecast and Roku so keeping it under $100 was pretty important.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fletcher posted:

Running XBMC and playing files from a NAS. Way snappier experience on gigabit.

They arn't building it with unsupported applications in mind it seems.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

fletcher posted:

What OS are you running? What version of the AMD video drivers? Any chance there is a background process running consuming processing power? (I noticed my youtube videos were choppy when I had crashplan running) Is hardware acceleration enabled in your Flash player settings?

I'm running Win8. I'll have to check the driver version later, but I won't say confidently that they're the newest ones. I don't really know the best way to get drivers for prebuilt PCs/laptops. I've made sure background processes aren't running, but I'll have to check hardware acceleration in Flash.

By the way, we have mutual real life friends (told to me by a friend who is also a goon). Sorry if that's creepy.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

KingKapalone posted:

I'm running Win8. I'll have to check the driver version later, but I won't say confidently that they're the newest ones. I don't really know the best way to get drivers for prebuilt PCs/laptops. I've made sure background processes aren't running, but I'll have to check hardware acceleration in Flash.

By the way, we have mutual real life friends (told to me by a friend who is also a goon). Sorry if that's creepy.

Definitely try the latest and greatest video card drivers, just grab 'em right off http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

No way!! Not creepy at all, that's hella cool. Who is our mutual friend? Feel free to PM me.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A brief trip report with the Fire TV

- It had to download a large update right out of the box.
- It's lightning fast compared to my old Roku LT. Even with apps like Hulu.
- There's no distinction between normal android apps and Fire TV apps. If you grabbed Sonic CD yesterday in their free app of the day promotion, you also got the Fire TV version for free. It was nice to see that I had a nice little collection going right out the box.
- Voice works surprisingly well. The majority of actors/shows popped up on the first try. There was some funny issues like it interpreting Degrassi as The Grassy or Dinosaur Jr. as Dinosaur Junior, showing kids shows instead of the band. Voice also only works on Amazon stuff (TV/movies/apps)
- Setting a pin up for purchases is only available when you turn on parental controls. That also makes it where you have to enter a pin to access any system stuff or to download any free videos/apps.
- There's no acceleration on scroll when you're going through videos/apps which is weird.
- There's no way to organize your apps like on the Roku.
- Only music apps will continue to play when you bounce back to the main menu. I don't know if that's an Amazon imposed thing or the nature of the apps. YouTube didn't continue running.
- But the music app will continue to play until you click a video to watch.
- I think you can set up your own photos from your Cloud as the screensaver. I haven't tested it yet but it defaults to a bunch of stock HD images from Amazon.
- There's no other screensaver besides photos and there's no clock anywhere to be found.
- Plex loaded quick, showed all my movies as covers but there was a notable lag between clicking one and getting to the information page before being able to launch the movie. I think that's more of a Plex issue than Amazon's.
- It looks like you'll be able to sideload applications when you turn on ADB debugging in the developer options.
- It runs as hot as my old Roku, which is disappointing.

Overall, I like it but it feels a bit half-baked at the moment. If Amazon tweaks the software and apps keep rolling out, they could have a real contender on their hands.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

A brief trip report with the Fire TV

- It had to download a large update right out of the box.
- It's lightning fast compared to my old Roku LT. Even with apps like Hulu.
- There's no distinction between normal android apps and Fire TV apps. If you grabbed Sonic CD yesterday in their free app of the day promotion, you also got the Fire TV version for free. It was nice to see that I had a nice little collection going right out the box.
- Voice works surprisingly well. The majority of actors/shows popped up on the first try. There was some funny issues like it interpreting Degrassi as The Grassy or Dinosaur Jr. as Dinosaur Junior, showing kids shows instead of the band. Voice also only works on Amazon stuff (TV/movies/apps)
- Setting a pin up for purchases is only available when you turn on parental controls. That also makes it where you have to enter a pin to access any system stuff or to download any free videos/apps.
- There's no acceleration on scroll when you're going through videos/apps which is weird.
- There's no way to organize your apps like on the Roku.
- Only music apps will continue to play when you bounce back to the main menu. I don't know if that's an Amazon imposed thing or the nature of the apps. YouTube didn't continue running.
- But the music app will continue to play until you click a video to watch.
- I think you can set up your own photos from your Cloud as the screensaver. I haven't tested it yet but it defaults to a bunch of stock HD images from Amazon.
- There's no other screensaver besides photos and there's no clock anywhere to be found.
- Plex loaded quick, showed all my movies as covers but there was a notable lag between clicking one and getting to the information page before being able to launch the movie. I think that's more of a Plex issue than Amazon's.
- It looks like you'll be able to sideload applications when you turn on ADB debugging in the developer options.
- It runs as hot as my old Roku, which is disappointing.

Overall, I like it but it feels a bit half-baked at the moment. If Amazon tweaks the software and apps keep rolling out, they could have a real contender on their hands.

I ordered one today to try it out. Reading your review got me very optimistic and then your closing statement seemed contradictory. Was it the smaller features like not being able to back out to a menu and acceleration through lists? How did the Plex playback perform? Rough time to buffer a 1080p movie? I know that's very anecdotal but anything helps!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TraderStav posted:

I ordered one today to try it out. Reading your review got me very optimistic and then your closing statement seemed contradictory. Was it the smaller features like not being able to back out to a menu and acceleration through lists? How did the Plex playback perform? Rough time to buffer a 1080p movie? I know that's very anecdotal but anything helps!

There's a number of things that are suppose to be coming soon. Missing apps like HBO GO/Vudu/WWE Network, Amazon Cloud Player, Kindle Freetime, miracast support.

Right now, it's good. In six months, it could be great.

My Plex server is only strong enough to direct play stuff so I couldn't test play back.

Another weird thing I noticed, Amazon said that search would search everything but I only get results from Amazon's store. No content from Hulu/Crackle are listed.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 3, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's a number of things that are suppose to be coming soon. Missing apps like HBO GO/Vudu/WWE Network, Kindle Freetime, miracast support.

Right now, it's good. In six months, it could be great.

My Plex server is only strong enough to direct play stuff so I couldn't test play back.

Another weird thing I noticed, Amazon said that search would search everything but I only get results from Amazon's store. No content from Hulu/Crackle are listed.

Thanks for the trip report. 30 day free trial so little risk here.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Call Me Charlie posted:

I was wondering about that myself. I figured I must have misread about how search was supposed to work so it's good to see I'm not crazy. Hopefully it gets patched in.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone asked Amazon support about it and apparently the app makers can "opt out" out of having their stuff indexed by the voice search which is why Flixster and Netflix don't show in the results. I don't know how knowledgeable your average support worker is at Amazon though. Does this pass DTS by the way?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Short Plex on Amazon Fire TV video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZNsACFJuU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I'm guessing the fire can't handle emulators?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Guitarchitect posted:

I'm guessing the fire can't handle emulators?

I don't see why not. It can handle pretty beefy Android games.

The Gunslinger posted:

Someone asked Amazon support about it and apparently the app makers can "opt out" out of having their stuff indexed by the voice search which is why Flixster and Netflix don't show in the results.

The only other thing I've seen in Amazon's search so far is music videos from Vevo. Although it's a fun novelty to say 'kanye west new slaves' into the mic and have it bring up the SNL performance.

------

The more I use this thing, the more I like it. There's been some minor bugs like artwork not showing up in a new search but being able to play some King Oddball, jumping to a show I was watching on Amazon, out to Hulu and back to King Oddball without it having to reopen the app/game is such a departure from the Roku. Everything's nearly instant.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Will the Fire TV play local content? By local content, I mean content on a USB enclosure. I don't have a Plex server setup, and I'm not really sure that I want to setup a Plex server.

At the moment, I have a Boxee that I use for local content and Netflix. The Boxee is really starting to show its age, and I'm wondering if the Fire TV could outright replace it?

Does the Plex app for Fire TV support local content? If it does, I'm pretty much sold.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

n0n0 posted:

Will the Fire TV play local content? By local content, I mean content on a USB enclosure. I don't have a Plex server setup, and I'm not really sure that I want to setup a Plex server.

At the moment, I have a Boxee that I use for local content and Netflix. The Boxee is really starting to show its age, and I'm wondering if the Fire TV could outright replace it?

Does the Plex app for Fire TV support local content? If it does, I'm pretty much sold.

Not currently.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Elston Gunn posted:

Not currently.
Meh, I ordered one anyway.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I don't use my desktop much anymore, just for streaming my video files via Plex. I was thinking about building a HTPC or getting NAS or something, but I really wasn't sure what the best option would be for my needs. I basically just want something that's always on & connected to the network, low power consumption, & able to transcode HD video efficiently. What's my best bet here?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I don't use my desktop much anymore, just for streaming my video files via Plex. I was thinking about building a HTPC or getting NAS or something, but I really wasn't sure what the best option would be for my needs. I basically just want something that's always on & connected to the network, low power consumption, & able to transcode HD video efficiently. What's my best bet here?

I'm selling an AD12 and an Intel NUC that would do exactly that in SA-Mart. The aD12 would be better to put windows on it but Openelec would work great on both.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If you're streaming files from local storage, what's your local storage setup then? I had my NAS pull double duty as a transcoder because I didn't want more machines than minimum to get a scalable setup, but with a small little machine you're limited to transferring from elsewhere on the network taking up potentially limited bandwidth or mounting external drives via eSATA or USB.

In truth, a lot of people that use their desktop frequently are probably better off just dropping a bunch of drives there and running a NAS from that setup. My desktop is on most of the time and now my NAS and HTPC are too, sweet power savings right? :downs: It makes sense to separate duties when your usage patterns and availability conflict though like you reboot your desktop when someone's trying to watch a movie or you're playing a game when someone needs to transcode off you.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is this the thread to ask about set top network players? I have an older WDTV Live Hub and its been pretty good despite the UI.

Right now I'm looking for a similar product for a kiosk at work. The catch is that it needs to be at the top of support for H.264 profiles, levels and bitrate. Basically whatever is the decoding king as the content I'll be pushing to it will be all encoded in house from lossless high depth sources. Is sigma designs still the king of decoder ASICs?

Edit: Dune HD Base 3D?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 7, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There's some pretty exciting things happening with the Fire TV. It's recognizing keyboards/mouses/controllers plugged into the USB port and people are already sideloading apps onto it.

quote:

APPS Working:
Adobe Flash with Firefox *Thanks destinal*
Allcast - Reported
Dropbox - Works but you cant install apk this way
Firefox *Thanks PHAMOS1*
Remote. Media Center TV *Thanks PHAMOS1*
ES File Explorer *Thanks PHAMOS1*
MX Player *Thanks PHAMOS1*
AirReceiver *Thanks PHAMOS1*
HBO GO *Thanks PHAMOS1*
TimeWarner App *Thanks georgieff*
SPMC *Thanks Koying from XBMC* Download
XBMC for Ouya *Tested by MejDam aka ME!!* This version runs amazing plus its the last version to support DTS - Download

Xfinity TV Go - Works - Reported
XBMC v13 Beta 3 - Still WIP *Thanks Koying from XBMC* Gotham Beta 3 will give you a green screen, need to change to expert, under video - acceleration, turn libstagefright off . Read below for Android Fire TV version of XBMC.

XBMC Member Koying seems to be creating an XBMC version that works for the Amazon Fire TV.
Grab the Latest xbmc-20140404-XXXXXXX-fixamcoutput-armeabi-v7a.apk apk at:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/arm/

Emulators:
ePSXe for Android - Reported
FPse for Android - Installs but reports that the controllers arent registering correctly - Reported
Snes9x EX+ - Reported

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general?nocache=1&z=2667700415818007

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's some pretty exciting things happening with the Fire TV. It's recognizing keyboards/mouses/controllers plugged into the USB port and people are already sideloading apps onto it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general?nocache=1&z=2667700415818007

I heard the 360 wireless controller works with the dongle of course.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is side loading an involved process? Really want HBO Go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did anyone figure out a way to get sideloaded apps on the launcher yet? That's the only thing holding me back.