Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm not sure what's up but Sparrow crashes every 15 minutes now. What's a good alternative to it? 'Cause I'm done with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
I'm enjoying Mail Pilot for its workflow, and Airmail is also quite good.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Airmail has been kind of buggy for me lately, but I absolutely love it as a replacement for something like Sparrow.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

carry on then posted:

It's likely doing something disk-related on the main thread, and there is no way for you to fix it. Except maybe get a faster computer/SSD?

i have a 2012 i7 iMac with a 1TB Fusion drive and 32GB of RAM, not to mention the 2GB 680MX. Not really sure what I can do to make my system any faster, but thanks. Why is there a judder under every release of Mavericks but not at all under Mountain Lion?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

KidDynamite posted:

I'm not sure what's up but Sparrow crashes every 15 minutes now. What's a good alternative to it? 'Cause I'm done with this poo poo.

Airmail has been great for me.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Question: In Messages.app, there's this handy option hidden in a right-click context menu:

I generally prefer the Names and Pictures setting, especially for multi-recipient messages, but it always defaults to just Pictures whenever I quit Messages. I'm guessing there's a 'defaults write' command that would make it stick but my Google is turning up nothing... any ideas?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

binarysmurf posted:

i have a 2012 i7 iMac with a 1TB Fusion drive and 32GB of RAM, not to mention the 2GB 680MX. Not really sure what I can do to make my system any faster, but thanks. Why is there a judder under every release of Mavericks but not at all under Mountain Lion?

I'm going to go ahead and say this even if you don't want to hear it: there is nothing you can do. The cause is almost certainly related to a change made since Mavericks and is completely internal to the application. File a bug if it bothers you that much.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

lol internet. posted:

Did something change in OSX or Chrome?

I have a Microsoft keyboard and I swapped the Control + Option keys.

I use to do Control + L in Chrome to go straight address bar but it seems to not work now. If I reset, the keyboard modifies, the Option + L does work?

Cmd+L?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Any recommendations for photo editing software that is good at stitching together panoramic images, preferably free? Pixelmator doesn't have this function, surprisingly.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Any recommendations for photo editing software that is good at stitching together panoramic images, preferably free? Pixelmator doesn't have this function, surprisingly.

If you can run a windows VM, Microsofts image composite editor (ICE) works pretty well for no frills sticking.

There is some open source stuff like PTGui but they are quite more complex.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Something is up with Safari. Several pages it takes a few seconds to load, and the entire browser just seems like its locked up during the process. In addition, it looks like safari is using 100% of a core during these lock ups. It has only started in the past week or so, but its intolerable now and I've switched to Chrome for the time being.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

FlashBangBob posted:

Something is up with Safari. Several pages it takes a few seconds to load, and the entire browser just seems like its locked up during the process. In addition, it looks like safari is using 100% of a core during these lock ups. It has only started in the past week or so, but its intolerable now and I've switched to Chrome for the time being.

I have got a Safari update just today. Now I'm running 7.0.3, and I have not found any problems (yet).

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Amberskin posted:

I have got a Safari update just today. Now I'm running 7.0.3, and I have not found any problems (yet).

Yeah I updated yesterday hoping it would go away, but it didn't. and I had been running 7.0.2 since that released, and at release it had no problems.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FlashBangBob posted:

Clear your Safari cache and disable any extensions you're using and see if the problem goes away.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Van Dis posted:

My go-to software was always Autostitch.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

There's still no way to write to NTFS is there?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

There's still no way to write to NTFS is there?

Did you try Paragon NTFS?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I haven't tried anything. I'm asking. Google says "yeah kinda"

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Re: Writing to NTFS volumes...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I haven't tried anything. I'm asking. Google says "yeah kinda"

Funny you should ask at this time. The Paragon mini-bundle of utilities is on sale now for $30 from MacUpdate (normally $100). It includes:

NTFS for Mac - Out of the box, your Mac can't fully access Windows-based NTFS-formatted volumes, but with Paragon NTFS for Mac it will be able to create, delete, and modify files on such drives.

HFS for Windows - This utility address a similar problem that PCs have, enabling Windows to completely access HFS-formatted Mac volumes.

Camptune X - Quickly resize your Boot Camp partition without having to jump through the hoops OS X normally requires you to.

ExtFS for Mac - Similar to NTFS for Mac, but providing full read and write access to Ext2/3/4 volumes.

https://deals.macupdate.com/deal/15648

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Scrolling is backwards now.

Otherwise, enjoy OS X.

It makes sense with the magic trackpad. And then they even give you false hope with separate settings for mouse and trackpad. But surprise that flag is the same. :I

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Milkman posted:

It makes sense with the magic trackpad. And then they even give you false hope with separate settings for mouse and trackpad. But surprise that flag is the same. :I
I use Scroll Reverser to get around that (recommended by someone else in this thread).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I recommend Tuxerna NTFS over Paragon from some anecdotally-bad experiences with the latter.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

FlashBangBob posted:

I was having that problem until I rebooted.

Empereur Norton
Feb 28, 2013
What do people use to stream radio stations? Mainly the BBC but others would be handy as well.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Empereur Norton posted:

What do people use to stream radio stations? Mainly the BBC but others would be handy as well.

I use Radium. Works well enough for me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't really fault the iPlayer Radio app.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pages had a recent update, and now my copy-style doesn't work, and adding bullets is now a chore. Anybody know other kinds of short-cut keys. I used to just cmd-option-v to paste bullets, but now I can't do it any longer. Hope this gets patched soon.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Anton Chigurh posted:

Re: Writing to NTFS volumes...

Funny you should ask at this time. The Paragon mini-bundle of utilities is on sale now for $30 from MacUpdate (normally $100). It includes:

NTFS for Mac - Out of the box, your Mac can't fully access Windows-based NTFS-formatted volumes, but with Paragon NTFS for Mac it will be able to create, delete, and modify files on such drives.

HFS for Windows - This utility address a similar problem that PCs have, enabling Windows to completely access HFS-formatted Mac volumes.

Camptune X - Quickly resize your Boot Camp partition without having to jump through the hoops OS X normally requires you to.

ExtFS for Mac - Similar to NTFS for Mac, but providing full read and write access to Ext2/3/4 volumes.

https://deals.macupdate.com/deal/15648

Is NTFS-3G dead?

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
If anyone on an older Mac is debating about upgrading to 10.9, I just upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.9.2 (after asking about it upthread) and it is a phenomenal improvement. I had to buy the new version of Office, though. Man is that ugly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The Milkman posted:

Use BetterTouchTool if you use a mouse and trackpad to have separate settings.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

El Miguel posted:

If anyone on an older Mac is debating about upgrading to 10.9, I just upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.9.2 (after asking about it upthread) and it is a phenomenal improvement. I had to buy the new version of Office, though. Man is that ugly.

That means you were using office 2004. That's scary.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

That means you were using office 2004. That's scary.

I liked it. I wrote my dissertation on it, and knew how to use it in my sleep. Now it's all different. And ugly...

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

TACD posted:

My go-to software was always Autostitch.

Thanks, this isn't bad for a free little program.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Pages with endnote is much better an essay writer than ms word is. Unfortunately, endnote costs an absolute fortune and pages by itself has never had proper harvard citation support while word does...

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

Pages with endnote is much better an essay writer than ms word is. Unfortunately, endnote costs an absolute fortune and pages by itself has never had proper harvard citation support while word does...

Mendeley with the Word plugin is my go-to on OSX when I have to collaborate with people that can't understand how TeX works. Bonus is Mendeley is free and has support for every random journal citation I have ever needed.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I have an external FW800 drive I'm trying to connect to my MBP through the Thunderbolt_>FW800 adapter, and it gives me an error saying "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

Any idea what gives? The drive works fine on Windows, and while it is NTFS I only want to read off it. It's a Newertech Guardian Maximus RAID thingy that is about two years old.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

El Miguel posted:

If anyone on an older Mac ... and it is a phenomenal improvement.
What model Mac?

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Djimi posted:

What model Mac?

This is a Macbook Pro 3,1. 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB ram, from late 2007. It's all stock except for a larger hard drive.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

binarysmurf posted:

I have a 2013 Retina MBP and Disk Utility stutters on startup too. It's the only program that does it. It's most likely a bug in Disk Utility doing something crazy on the main thread like you said.

Edit: the solution is to just do this:

code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO
Which disables all of those zooming on startup animations.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

El Miguel posted:

This is a Macbook Pro 3,1. 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB ram, from late 2007. It's all stock except for a larger hard drive.

What OS? This also matters.