Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Considering the way things are going, it seems like there wouldn't really be much of a distance between:

1. Legalise electroshock 'therapy'
2. Precedent of using electroshock to remedy 'problem' children
3. Minorities and orphans are now 'problem' children
4. Electrocute brown kids in special 'rehabilitation' camps

I don't know how much of a joke post this is, but you do realise that ECT isn't just shocking people right? It's a perfectly legitimate line of treatment and has proved effective, particularly for those with depression. There's a whole lot of unfounded hysteria surrounding the treatment because they've seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. When I was suffering depression (and it feels like one big mental health clinic in here, wow), I seriously considered ECT but only discounted it because my psych said that it would severely impact on my ability to work for around 3 months due to memory issues and such. In the end, I had a seizure which pretty much had the same affect (messed up my memory and fixed my depression, woo!).

To the subject at hand specifically, the biggest issues with this legislation is the lack of research on the impact on brain development on children, and not being fit to consent. The latter is a lesser issue provided that the parents are well informed. Provided that this is actually used as a "last resort" treatment, the risk may be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
To continue drugchat, I came pretty close to killing my are self due to depression before being prescribed an SNRI (by a GP!!!) and now I'm pretty sure that my life has value and meaning and things are worth doing. I've also been getting CBT which is really helpful but without the drugs I probably wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning to make the appointment.

Side effects are definitely a thing, but they beat the poo poo out of not being able to function as a human being.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

I finished coming off the last of my medication for depression about a week ago, it's great. The SSRI I was on didn't do much for me aside from make me dizzy and paranoid whenever I missed a dose, but the other drug (agomelatine, which increases dopamine production) worked wonders for me. I tried CBT, but just ended up freaking out and not going back after the 2nd or 3rd time.

Drugs aren't the best for everyone, but they certainly made things easier for me. I had great support from family and my partner, but drugs bolstered that. Depression is awful, and my experience was fairly mild (2 years prior to meds, 1 after treatment and a further 1 coming off of meds) but from my experience I'd recommend at least trying medication; they don't fix things, but they can make things easier. Even with the support I had, I wouldn't have broken out of my depressive cycle without the opportunity they provided.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

What drugs do you guys think count chocks is on?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
While we're drugchatting, I am on lexapro and it owns and helps me function. Still very occasionally have massive panic attacks but gently caress it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

What drugs do you guys think count chocks is on?

Not enough.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

poo poo, society still just cannot grasp the role or nature of grief, something everybody is going to meet by their early 20s at latest, how is it supposed to deal with mental illness? Every time a mentally ill person dies society goes 'oh okay we know how to deal with this now, we'll give their relatives 0-3 days off work and then stare at them in awkward confusion if they ever bring that person up again'

Happened to me when grandad passed. I got a bit of sympathy but no empathy at work, and 2 days after it happened I was expected to be back at work and getting on with it.

I'm usually the sort of person who can analyze why I feel the way I do, and rationalise it and come out the stronger, but with this I just wasn't able to. I wasn't able to reconcile my aunts suicide the previous year with my grandads murder that year, it was too much of a burden to bear in too much a short timeframe.

Then I got made redundant and that was the final straw, I basically sought out a councillor in spite of the fact that I felt really awkward about doing so. I know I shouldn't have, I know I didn't need to feel that way, but the truth was that I did.

It helped a great deal, and it helped me pin down the (genuine) root cause of why I felt the way I did.

And on the upside, my new boss kicks rear end and is 100% behind me.

Thankfully I've been able to get through this without drugs, but not everyone is able to, and that doesn't mean they should be looked down upon. Our society is a loving unhealthy one.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

I'm not taking anything for remedy, since the aforementioned acid helped me quit smoking weed and grow into being a person without anxiety or depression. Have been prescribed avanza once, it gave me day time hallucinations (at sixteen, not cool) and got myself a hell of an appetite on those SSRIs for stopping smoking, champix.

I was interested in boosting my performance at work, though. So now I'm on dexamphetamine. So much more productive and switched on. Going to see if methylphinydate suits me better, though.

Anyone have any experience or pharmacological insight into nutropics?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/apr/02/coalition-review-of-consumer-laws-may-ban-environmental-boycotts

So, free speech is only ok if you're going to be racist?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tony Jowns posted:

In other "wait, it's not an April Fools joke? Aw gently caress" news, Labor want the government to guarantee that asylum seekers on Manus Island will never make it to Australia.

You know, I'm hoping that this is Labor trying to keep the LNP to their word while fully understanding its practically untenable. If the LNP promise they will never get here, and then if a single one does, then they can claim LNP are bad at border control and break promises. I imagine the LNP know it would be dumb to promise this, but given their record lately...

That's what I tell myself anyway.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

I felt sharper but not hugely so. Could not entirely discount placebo effect (Piracetam/Aniracetam)

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

I felt sharper but not hugely so. Could not entirely discount placebo effect (Piracetam/Aniracetam)

Tastes like arse: Piracetam.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

I was interested in boosting my performance at work, though. So now I'm on dexamphetamine. So much more productive and switched on. Going to see if methylphinydate suits me better, though.

This is deviating somewhat from the focus of this thread but I've basically taken every nootropic under the sun. If you're specifically trying to make yourself more "switched on" I'd probably recommend a combination of pramiracetam, alpha GCP (you pretty much have to take racetams with an acetylcholine precursor if you want them to work) and maybe vinpocetine. Also, read the op of the nootropics thread in TCC and the second post of the supps thread in YLLS. Be careful what you stack with amphetamines though.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome
I went to see a psych type after a close friend was murdered. I just couldn't make sense of the world around me anymore.

We had a couple of really difficult, painful, awful but necessary sessions and then we started talking about my ~~childhood~~. Both parents are mentally ill and I'm completely terrified that that is my future. So the psych did a session with me on staying well eg signs of illness and how to respond, things that keep you well and why, strategies/coping mechanisms and stuff. It was probably the best thing I've ever done for my well-being and I think that sort of mental health education should be available to everyone.

Also: it's really cool that you guys are all being so open about mental health stuff. Hopefully it de-stygmitises (is that even a word?) just a little bit.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i got banned posted:

I've yet to be recommended a shrink that doesn't loving solve poo poo by chucking pills down my throat, I'm seeing you to stop using drugs you gently caress.

I've had a friend recommend me CBT though. How are you finding it Fruity Gordo?

While I don't agree with the general sentiment about medications, I do think people overvalue their worth in treating mental illness. Also don't expect a psychiatrist/shrink to provide anything other then medication; if you go to a dentist, they will work with your teeth but won't cut your hair. I do think that if you are the sort of person that needs to take psychiatric medicine, you should also be seeing a psychologist.

CBT is useful for people with depression/anxiety, however don't go to a psychologist with the expectation that you want CBT. After an initial assessment, they may suggest a different, more appropriate therapy for your situation. However this doesn't mean that you should not ask questions about how the consultations are conducted. Some psychologists are just content to sit there and listen to you talk for an hour and keep the formal therapies on the sidelines.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Never mind!

slingshot effect fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 3, 2014

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

If I recall my research on it, you probably should avoid them if you take stimulant medication; they may interact in unexpected ways. Besides they seem to have even less evidence for efficacy, then some of the more common supplements. Your probably better off taking fish oil (marginal evidence, probably most beneficial while the brain is still developing).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Emmjay posted:

I went to see a psych type after a close friend was murdered. I just couldn't make sense of the world around me anymore.

We had a couple of really difficult, painful, awful but necessary sessions and then we started talking about my ~~childhood~~. Both parents are mentally ill and I'm completely terrified that that is my future. So the psych did a session with me on staying well eg signs of illness and how to respond, things that keep you well and why, strategies/coping mechanisms and stuff. It was probably the best thing I've ever done for my well-being and I think that sort of mental health education should be available to everyone.

Also: it's really cool that you guys are all being so open about mental health stuff. Hopefully it de-stygmitises (is that even a word?) just a little bit.

:smith::hf:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Forgive my ignorance but what does CBT stand for in the mental health parlance?

Lot of terms and drug names being thrown around in here and it's hard to follow!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Lot of terms and drug names being thrown around in here and it's hard to follow!

Cognitive behavioural therapy, it's a thing that helped me deal with some anxiety issues that were getting pretty loving awful

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Those On My Left posted:

Cognitive behavioural therapy, it's a thing that helped me deal with some anxiety issues that were getting pretty loving awful

Chicken, Bacon and Tomato. It's actually sponsored by Nandos.

Real talk: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a very effective therapy for a huge range of mental health issues and when combined with medication is one of the preferred treatment methods in modern psychology.

Also, ACT is acceptance and commitment therapy.

Chrodyn fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy. It's one of the more common psychological interventions, and basically involves equipping patients with cognitive tools to help overcome/reduce/manage the effects of a psychological disorder. It includes things like positive self-talk and imagery, relaxation techniques, symptom identification etc

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Clearly the issue is that free speech conducted on environmental matters is wrong.

Also the only impact of racism I can see is a black dollar sign in the 'Murdoch' column. Environmental free speech gives me red dollar signs across the books.

How else could I possibly measure good and evil?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cheers for the answers, all. Sounds like a good way to help cope with certain conditions.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

i got banned posted:

He didn't like the cut of her jib AT ALL.

More like the cut of her hijab amirite

I'll show myself out

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Emmjay posted:

Also: it's really funny that I'm the only one here in good mental health. Me, brown blitzkrieg: defender of Stalin's legacy and advocate for literal class warfare.

Implants
Feb 14, 2007
I wrote up a big long post about my time working as a clinical mental health care professional in the public system (have a guess as to why I now work in politics) but it made me pretty sad so instead I'll just say SSRIs are really really good from both a clinical and policy perspective, increased use rates are largely due to an increasing awareness of mental health issues, the availability for the last 20 years or so of demonstrably superior drugs and the use of federal funding to subsidise those drugs. Prior to this, getting effective treatment for persistent mood disorders was pretty much the purview of the rich alone - poor people just had to suck it up and sink a heap of piss. There's a reason why one of the most enduring images of mental health care is the upper class housewife ala Mad Men, and it's loving great that this has and is changing - access to good, cheap pharma treatment tools is a massive part of this.

Pharmacological treatments aren't a silver bullet, but they're not a bad thing, at all, by any stretch of the imagination. They're also not overprescribed. (this piece pretty much summarises my views on the matter, and is written by an absolutely wonderful person who is a leader in the field in Aus). There is certainly an ongoing conversation to be had about our approach to the treatment of mood disorders, but don't think for a second that this conversation isn't underway in the mental health sector.

Implants fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 3, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I feel really bad for people who experience really bad side-effects and deteriorating mental health on psychoactive drugs. I got put on Prozac last year and it just worked, first time. Barring a doubled dose I haven't needed any alteration to my medication since. I count myself as being really loving lucky.

Although still no cure for my shitposting. #yolo

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

Endman posted:

I feel really bad for people who experience really bad side-effects and deteriorating mental health on psychoactive drugs. I got put on Prozac last year and it just worked, first time. Barring a doubled dose I haven't needed any alteration to my medication since. I count myself as being really loving lucky.

Although still no cure for my shitposting. #yolo

That's the statistically normal experience. People who endure horrible side effects are unbelievably unlucky, and exist in ever decreasing numbers.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

i got banned posted:

Yeah she was upsetting a few people, it owned a lot. Basically if you upset an Australian you're doing good things.

Gough Suppressant posted:

If the state of Australian politics doesn't make you swear you are loving well beyond help.
I think there is a logical disconnect here unless 'Australian' doesn't include me or any of the people Gough Suppressant is referring to.

Anyhoo. Strange Days Indeed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-02/parkinson-treasury-gst-tax-reform-fuel-excise/5363062

Dr Martin Parkingson gives a speech that contains all of the usual rubbish: Broaden the GST, slowing of productivity :siren:growth:siren: (that was immediately conflated by the interviewer to mean productivity), Indexing the fuel excise (again, John Howard removed this). So maintain the rage (etc.) blogg post denouncing (et al) except...

This is the guy that noted torture apologist Tony Abbott (in one of his many acts of extremist bastardry) announced upon being sworn in as PM was being axed in May, then reinstated on a short term contract till November. What possible reason does he have for loudly singing the "I just drank the Tory Kool-Aid™ song" just now? Call me paranoid and delusional :tinfoil: but I think we have just witnessed a wonderful piece of anti-government dog whistling ahead of the WA senate election. Otherwise called damning by faint praise. The LNP are desperate to have a focus on anything else but the GST (a complete vote destroyer in WA) and intimating that 'sound economic management' would also include a return of indexed fuel excise liberally ices that cowpat with warm excrement. I'm probably over thinking this but the timing is excruciating for the LNP WA senate campaign.

Obviously Chris Bowen had to rush to throw his shoe into his mouth repeatedly in the face of this gift. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/chris-bowen-on-gst-reform/5363558

quote:

Too many taxes raising not enough money.
:ironicat:

Psych chat. A previous partner suffered from anxiety attacks and the state of the mental health system in the ACT was frightening once you were exposed to it. A couple of observations. You need to be very careful what CBT you use as there are plenty of expensive shonks out there and the way some of them prey on the vulnerable is horrifying. They were prescribed Zoloft and I did extensive reading and research about it and it's effects and it seems that it is only better than a placebo because it has identifible side effects. Any label of 'wonder drug' is pretty wide of the mark.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

While we're drugchatting, I am on lexapro and it owns and helps me function. Still very occasionally have massive panic attacks but gently caress it.

Actually with that said I left my tablets in my bag two days in a row (commuting between gf's place and mine blows) and had one this morning. Feeling quite tense. Don't skip tablets, kids.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sheeit i'm on 300mg of Effexor a day and i'm not even sure it's doing me any good.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

IMO the main problem with mental health treatment in Australia is an under-supply of psychologists. You go to see a GP and tell them you're depressed, the likely outcome is that they'll give you a box of prozac and put you on a several month-long waiting list to see a psychologist. This applies even for specialist mental health practices like Headspace.

Of course, that's what you get when the APA keeps psych registrations artificially low (<100 per year in VIC IIRC).

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

My former partner was on 150mg of Effexor (f x z0r) until she had an incident and we shipped her off to see a psychiatrist that my family knew. It turned out the effexor was the wrong one for her to be on, so that started about a years worth of trips to see a psychiatrist and psychologist, including CBT and eventually electroshock therapy.

At the same time my previously undiagnosed depression emerged and I eventually had to go see a clinical psych and then a psychiatrist just to get on enough meds to make the CBT effective - which it was for the most part. Over summer I ended up doing something called EMDR which i thoroughly encourage anybody to explore if they're already seeking psychological treatment.

Anyway, what ended up helping both of us was not the fact that the facilities existed to help, but that we had people around us (including each other) to set us straight and recommend who to talk to and where to go.

The fact that it is necessary for a person to have a large, supportive and knowledgable enough social network in order to get the right treatment is possibly the biggest issue with mental health in this nation.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/asic-to-look-into-prank-metgasco-email-from-schoolgirl-kudra-fallaricketts-20140402-35yy7.html

No wonder ASIC are utterly and completely ineffectual at their primary purpose of policing corporate financial behaviour like cartels and insider trading. This is obviously more important. A bunch of shitstains always keeping their eye on the corporate gig waiting for them.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Haters Objector posted:

IMO the main problem with mental health treatment in Australia is an under-supply of psychologists. You go to see a GP and tell them you're depressed, the likely outcome is that they'll give you a box of prozac and put you on a several month-long waiting list to see a psychologist. This applies even for specialist mental health practices like Headspace.

Of course, that's what you get when the APA keeps psych registrations artificially low (<100 per year in VIC IIRC).

The APS (APA is American) doesn't have control over registration, that the PBA's job. Vic has had a net 500 new registrations between the 10/11 and 12/13 FYs, so more than 250 per year when you take retirements etc into account. NSW had less than 300 in the same period, which is worrying.

But yes, training (good) psychologists is pretty time intensive. For what it's worth, most unis will have an intern (provisional) psychologist staffed clinic that offers low-cost and often short waiting-list services to the public, plus you're helping the mental health sector by giving learning opportunities to the (well-supervised) interns.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The worst thing about SSRIs is coming off them when you're done. I only had them for about 6 months but holy gently caress the 2-3 days after I stopped taking them I may as well have been paralysed from the eyebrows down. I was useless.

Granted I stopped cold turkey, which isnt recommended, but they were expensive and I was at the end of the box so I figured I would power through.

After 2 ex girlfriends, both being on effexor and both being totally unstable and toxic people who were most definitely misdiagnosed as having depression when they definitely had borderline personality disorder, I think the mental health system in the country needs to work better (although it will probably only get worse) with patients to determine what their actual problem is rather than see your GP, get a box of pills and a referral to a Psychologist they will never follow up because 'Im not crazy, I dont need a psychologist!'

I mean, I get why we see a GP, get a box of low-dose SSRIs first (to stop immediate risk of suicide) but there needs to be a fast track system for new patients to psychologists or something so people can actually get diagnosed and not just get stuck in the spiral of taking SSRIs forever because they missed it one time and felt weird for a few days so they better keep taking it!

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Unimpressed posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/asic-to-look-into-prank-metgasco-email-from-schoolgirl-kudra-fallaricketts-20140402-35yy7.html

No wonder ASIC are utterly and completely ineffectual at their primary purpose of policing corporate financial behaviour like cartels and insider trading. This is obviously more important. A bunch of shitstains always keeping their eye on the corporate gig waiting for them.

ITT: An agency with almost 1900 staff can only investigate one matter at a time.

That's the same logic my 'there are way more important things the government focus on instead of writing marriage amendments' mother-in-law uses. As if everything grinds to a halt because something new happened.

Also, investigating market manipulation is clearly ones of their primary roles. You can tell by the way it's right there in the charter. The fact that she didnt plan to directly profit is irrelevant. If it had happened during trading hours, there could have been some pretty serious repercussions.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Trying to get a referral to a psychiatrist is a real struggle in Aus. It's a pain in the rear end to do that ~*~mental health plan~*~ to end up with psychologist or counsellor referrals if you need medication support, and having that small consultation limit on Medicare means people end up rationing their visits if they can even afford the gap in the first place.

Anyway. I don't know if mental health care is ever going to receive adequate support in Australia, not when one in four people believe depression isn't real/it can be cured by 'hardening up'. It's not a sexy vote winner, especially not when the current government is all about bootstraps and Randian supermen.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BrosephofArimathea posted:

ITT: An agency with almost 1900 staff can only investigate one matter at a time.

That's the same logic my 'there are way more important things the government focus on instead of writing marriage amendments' mother-in-law uses. As if everything grinds to a halt because something new happened.

Also, investigating market manipulation is clearly ones of their primary roles. You can tell by the way it's right there in the charter. The fact that she didnt plan to directly profit is irrelevant. If it had happened during trading hours, there could have been some pretty serious repercussions.

John Gay.

• Locked thread