Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
As of yesterday, I have begun an experiment.

After going over the argument between slowbeef and DarkSydePhil on DSP's forum, one thing stuck out to me in Phil's comments; That his detractors are only seeing one half of the story by only focusing on the negative. By only looking at selective clips edited together into montages, we are (or in this case, I am) assuming that it is a perfect, accurate representation of his YouTube offerings as a whole.

Now, the first thing to note is that there is a fair amount of material to work with that shows Phil in a very negative light, and that's why so many of these videos exist and continue to pop up. There's just so much to work with. What if he's right though? What if we are just boiling everything down to the pure negative aspects and taking them out of context? What if those things really are just a fraction of a much larger whole? What if there is actually plenty of good to go with the bad?

That is what this experiment is about. I am delving into the world of DSP for myself to see what opinion I can form based on my own observations from his videos. In the meantime, I ask for opinions from this thread and to give your own input on the (currently hypothetical) questions asked above.

I will chronicle my experiences as a viewer of DSP's videos and my opinions on them, for however long it lasts. The way I will conduct this experiment will be the same as I would handle any other viewing for gaming videos, which means I have no intention of watching absolutely every video he has ever posted. I do intend to watch a fair sampling of videos, but what I watch depends heavily on my interest in a game, his ability to entertain, and my availability/interest in watching videos.

Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
no don't

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Jamesman posted:

After going over the argument between slowbeef and DarkSydePhil on DSP's forum, one thing stuck out to me in Phil's comments; That his detractors are only seeing one half of the story by only focusing on the negative. By only looking at selective clips edited together into montages, we are (or in this case, I am) assuming that it is a perfect, accurate representation of his YouTube offerings as a whole.

Now, the first thing to note is that there is a fair amount of material to work with that shows Phil in a very negative light, and that's why so many of these videos exist and continue to pop up. There's just so much to work with. What if he's right though? What if we are just boiling everything down to the pure negative aspects and taking them out of context? What if those things really are just a fraction of a much larger whole? What if there is actually plenty of good to go with the bad?

That is what this experiment is about. I am delving into the world of DSP for myself to see what opinion I can form based on my own observations from his videos. In the meantime, I ask for opinions from this thread and to give your own input on the (currently hypothetical) questions asked above.

I will chronicle my experiences as a viewer of DSP's videos and my opinions on them, for however long it lasts. The way I will conduct this experiment will be the same as I would handle any other viewing for gaming videos, which means I have no intention of watching absolutely every video he has ever posted. I do intend to watch a fair sampling of videos, but what I watch depends heavily on my interest in a game, his ability to entertain, and my availability/interest in watching videos.

Wish me luck.

I've been watching some of his streams for the past three months just to see what the fuss was about. I'm scared that I think I'm going native.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Is that really worth the time? DSP's content is terrible by SA's standards. Isn't that enough for you?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Jamesman posted:

Wish me luck.
Back in the day when he started The Witcher 2 I tried to do this myself. Don't bother. The montages we see show him at his worst, but at his best he's boring or barely competent.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jamesman posted:

Wish me luck.

You're going to become the journalist that went to do a story slamming Fred Phelps and ended up becoming a top ranking member in the WBC.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Jamesman posted:

Wish me luck.

Don't do this. Don't do this. Trust me, it's not worth it, man.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
And thus, Captain Walker entered Dubai.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
I'm thinking of some kind of quote about looking into abysses here.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

ritcheyz posted:

"Don't loving stare into the abyss you bumbling maroon."
- Arthur C. Clarke.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Have thine own respect, go not yonder knocking for nothing, I say!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

ritcheyz posted:

Is it about how big the abyss's tits are?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day One, Part One

When it comes to most big gaming channels, I will go to the playlists page and hope that things are well sorted for my viewing pleasure. Phil has accomplished this pretty well, and that is something not everyone does. I was pleased that, even though he has over 25,000 videos, they all seem to be properly sorted into playlists and properly titled to make things easily looked through and searchable.

I began to look at the newest playlists and work my way down from there. As I looked at the titles and at the numbers of videos in each playlist, I started to feel uneasy. I started to feel like something was wrong, and I shouldn't be here.

As of April 1, 2014;

Final Fantasy X HD
-Game Release Date (via Wikipedia): March 18th, 2014
-Number of Videos: 39
-Total Runtime: 7 Hours

inFAMOUS: Second Son
-Game Release Date (via Wikipedia): March 21nd, 2014
-Number of Videos: 42 for Good playthrough playlist, 55 for Evil playthrough playlist
-Total Runtime: 17 Hours

Titanfall
-Game Release Date (via Wikipedia): March 11th, 2014
-Number of Videos: 17
Total Runtime: 3 hours

Dark Souls II
-Game Release Date (via Wikipedia): March 11th, 2014
Number of Videos: 187
Total Runtime: YouTube would not calculate. A very rough, inaccurate estimate would suggest ~27 hours.

I could go on like this for a long, long time, but I won't. The point of this is what I was seeing was a lot of brand new releases, and it really seems like the videos were being pumped out at a rate that would have to be unpleasant for Phil. In turn, it made me feel unpleasant.

While I'm sure (hell, I know) there are people who enjoy watching videos of new releases, I tend to not be one of them, so Phil's efforts were wasted on me. I continued to look through his playlist for older games, games I was familiar with, or if I had to go with a new title, one I was definitely not going to buy down the line when it was cheaper.

I first took note of a playlist for Dragon Age, which was a game I enjoyed well enough. I picked the original and its expansion up for very cheap at a K-mart, and then bought the complete edition when I realized it was cheaper to buy that than all the DLC separately. Then I got all the trophies. Yep, I had a lot of fun with that game. But Phil's playlist(s) for it totaled 220 videos, so it was probably not ideal for my first outing, so I decided to save it for later, and continued on.

After staring in awe at a 10-video playlist where he spends over 2 hours creating a DarkSydePhil create-a-wrestler in WWE 2K14, I finally managed to keep scrolling down until I found something to watch - A co-op playthrough of Super Mario World with a fellow by the name of John Rambo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

gatz posted:

Is that really worth the time? DSP's content is terrible by SA's standards. Isn't that enough for you?

Highwang posted:

Back in the day when he started The Witcher 2 I tried to do this myself. Don't bother. The montages we see show him at his worst, but at his best he's boring or barely competent.

RSCNyx posted:

Don't do this. Don't do this. Trust me, it's not worth it, man.

ritcheyz posted:

Attestant posted:

Have thine own respect, go not yonder knocking for nothing, I say!

The point of this isn't to see how much Phil sucks. I am not going into this expecting or looking for badness. I have an open mind and am seeing for myself what I like and don't like about Phil's efforts and will see what comes out of it. That is the point of the experiment, and maybe something will be gained as a result of it.

Previously, my opinions of Phil have been based entirely on what has been shown to me by others. While I can't (maybe even won't, or shouldn't) clear my mind of those established opinions, I am not carrying those opinions in with me into this.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 2, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

When it comes to most big gaming channels, I will go to the playlists page and hope that things are well sorted for my viewing pleasure. Phil has accomplished this pretty well, and that is something not everyone does. I was pleased that, even though he has over 25,000 videos, they all seem to be properly sorted into playlists and properly titled to make things easily looked through and searchable.

Is that new? All his stuff is usually: "The Witcher pt 82." with a default channel description.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Is that new? All his stuff is usually: "The Witcher pt 82." with a default channel description.

I'm only talking about the playlists here. The playlists are titled by game, so you can say "Oh, this is the playlist for this game." and you can search for the game title and find the playlist for that game. You would be very surprised how many channels have poo poo playlists. It also appears to be current with his most recent videos and might even go as far back as the start of the channel, but it's difficult to tell because YouTube fucks everything up.

I wasn't referring to video titles or descriptions.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Thing is, everyone has good / watchable points. I enjoyed a few of PDP's early Happy Wheels videos until he started getting creepy and rapey with the kid on the bike. I'm sure DSP isn't 100% offensive and awful at all times.

There's just so many clip videos - all with unrepeated material - that show him as an redemption-less fucksack. It's a lot of negative evidence; even if the remainder of his content is fine or bearable, why sort through the rest of the filth?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazyfire posted:

I think part of that is that a lot of people expect "balanced" feedback in all aspects of life now. I know that desire gets associated with people in my generation all the time (I refuse to term anyone as a millennial as it's a kind of stupid label), but my 54 year old co-worker complains that when customers call her they only talk about what didn't work and never mention the things we delivered that did work. A lot of people think like this and it drives me nuts.

This a million times. As someone who works and has worked in customer service, directly or indirectly, I've never expected someone to call me to tell me my solution(s) worked perfectly and I'm a stand up guy.

I feel like it ends up being more about not being able to accept being wrong, with negative criticism contributing to that feeling.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roar posted:

Thing is, everyone has good / watchable points. I enjoyed a few of PDP's early Happy Wheels videos until he started getting creepy and rapey with the kid on the bike. I'm sure DSP isn't 100% offensive and awful at all times.

There's just so many clip videos - all with unrepeated material - that show him as an redemption-less fucksack. It's a lot of negative evidence; even if the remainder of his content is fine or bearable, why sort through the rest of the filth?

As his peers, we've concentrated Phil down to his most negative aspects. Phil and his fans claim that by doing so, we're taking him out of context.

The experiment is to see what Phil is like in context. When these negative aspects are incorporated into the larger picture, do you have really have a "redemption-less fucksack?"

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Jamesman posted:

As his peers, we've concentrated Phil down to his most negative aspects. Phil and his fans claim that by doing so, we're taking him out of context.

The experiment is to see what Phil is like in context. When these negative aspects are incorporated into the larger picture, do you have really have a "redemption-less fucksack?"

I don't know, he compared a parody video to raping Mrs. Beef... Not sure I need much more than that to judge him.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jamesman posted:

I have a proposal to expand your experiment.

If possible, try to make a compilation of all the positive moments you happen to encounter, and then show it to a randomly selected group of people who have not encountered any of his material before (ideally having not even heard of him, but at the very least people who have not seen any of his videos, or any of the compilation videos), and a compare their reactions to a group that has only viewed the negative compilations, and one which views unedited content from his channel.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 2, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Keeshhound posted:

What if we did montages of both types for other LPers to see if other people are as abhorrent as DSP for as large a fraction of the content that they put out?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Jamesman posted:

Keeshhound posted:

Finally this thread is good for something. :colbert:

God speed!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day One, Part Two

I consider it very hard to make interesting videos out of Super Mario World. Mario is a staple of video games, and Super Mario World is a staple of video game videos. If you ever think about doing a playthrough of Super Mario World or a Super Mario World romhack for the internet, stop, and think long and hard about what the hell you could possibly do that would make it worth watching.

So why did I start out with something I was so down on from the get-go? I considered it a palette cleanser; Something nice and simple that Phil would putz around in, without any real chance of him being offensive or annoying (though I was curious to see if he could). I also wanted to see more of this John Rambo.

In my opinion, from a first impression, John and Phil don't really work well together. I don't know if John Rambo makes videos of his own or not, or what his non-working relationship is with Phil, but it's like they're both used to doing their own thing, and neither of them really feel comfortable with one another. John mumbles (could just be bad mic placement), Phil brings up forced, banal game trivia, some awkward attempts at jokes are made, reading of game text is done. It was uninteresting to me, and though I can't say I was expecting something great, I can say I was expecting something more out of a pair of commentators.

When it comes to gameplay, my definition of "good" is someone playing the game in a way that's not dumb. You can play a game blind and you can play a game bad, so long as you don't play like an idiot. That's pretty vague and everyone's opinion is different. It doesn't matter at this point. I did not see any dumb playing here. They played Super Mario World. They ran and jumped and remembered some things about a 13-year-old game and forgot some other things about a 13-year-old game.

Before they started, they lamented the existence of input lag due to using an LCD TV. Phil seemed to adjust to it fairly quickly, while John struggled.

Anyway, about halfway through the 3rd video (out of 41), I thought to myself "I am not enjoying this." and I stopped watching.

Conclusion based on 2 1/2 videos of Super Mario World (approximately 17 minutes):

DSPositivity: Phil and John reminisce about a classic Nintendo game from their childhood, shows some excitement over re-discovering things and collecting 1ups.
DSNegativity: Nothing directly, but Phil and John's lack of chemistry makes watching the videos a wearying experience.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

frozentreasure posted:

What if we did montages of both types for other LPers to see if other people are as abhorrent as DSP for as large a fraction of the content that they put out?

Too many variables; for proper experimental etiquette, you need to keep as many things constant as possible.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jamesman posted:

DSP Experiment: Day One, Part Two

I consider it very hard to make interesting videos out of Super Mario World. Mario is a staple of video games, and Super Mario World is a staple of video game videos. If you ever think about doing a playthrough of Super Mario World or a Super Mario World romhack for the internet, stop, and think long and hard about what the hell you could possibly do that would make it worth watching.

So why did I start out with something I was so down on from the get-go? I considered it a palette cleanser; Something nice and simple that Phil would putz around in, without any real chance of him being offensive or annoying (though I was curious to see if he could). I also wanted to see more of this John Rambo.

In my opinion, from a first impression, John and Phil don't really work well together. I don't know if John Rambo makes videos of his own or not, or what his non-working relationship is with Phil, but it's like they're both used to doing their own thing, and neither of them really feel comfortable with one another. John mumbles (could just be bad mic placement), Phil brings up forced, banal game trivia, some awkward attempts at jokes are made, reading of game text is done. It was uninteresting to me, and though I can't say I was expecting something great, I can say I was expecting something more out of a pair of commentators.

When it comes to gameplay, my definition of "good" is someone playing the game in a way that's not dumb. You can play a game blind and you can play a game bad, so long as you don't play like an idiot. That's pretty vague and everyone's opinion is different. It doesn't matter at this point. I did not see any dumb playing here. They played Super Mario World. They ran and jumped and remembered some things about a 13-year-old game and forgot some other things about a 13-year-old game.

Before they started, they lamented the existence of input lag due to using an LCD TV. Phil seemed to adjust to it fairly quickly, while John struggled.

Anyway, about halfway through the 3rd video (out of 41), I thought to myself "I am not enjoying this." and I stopped watching.

Conclusion based on 2 1/2 videos of Super Mario World (approximately 17 minutes):

DSPositivity: Phil and John reminisce about a classic Nintendo game from their childhood, shows some excitement over re-discovering things and collecting 1ups.
DSNegativity: Nothing directly, but Phil and John's lack of chemistry makes watching the videos a wearying experience.

Request: keep a tally of how many times he says the following phrases:

"Nothing I could do"
"WhaaaAAAT?" (not just a normal "what," but this particular inflection. It's really distinctive)

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Request: keep a tally of how many times he says the following phrases:

"Nothing I could do"
"WhaaaAAAT?" (not just a normal "what," but this particular inflection. It's really distinctive)

Add the following:

"C'mon, man!"
"This is bullshit!"
"I died instantly!"
"I was supposed to know how to that!"
"Whatever dude!"
"Oh, it's this rear end in a top hat."

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Keeshhound posted:

This would actually be pretty interesting, and brings up a point: What if all the fans of DSP only notices the positive things, and block out the negative things? Like something enough, and you can just pretend all the bad things about them don't exist.

I would be really interested in seeing the result of this.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe
Take a shot every time he burps, or snorts, and I'll see you in the next life.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Jamesman posted:

Excerpt from DSP Experiment: Day One, Part Two

...John Rambo.

Sweet mother of all things good and sturdly, I know that name from somewhere other than that Stallone movie. Isn't he some internet uber-wunderkind who tried running some comedy website in the early 2000's or am I mistaking him for some other Rambo? Uncyclopedia is no help whatsoever in this sudden epiphany.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Someone done did write a let's play thing and I said things in it:

http://westernreport.fims.uwo.ca/index.php/they-play-video-games-so-you-dont-have-to/

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Mr DJB posted:

http://westernreport.fims.uwo.ca/index.php/they-play-video-games-so-you-dont-have-to/

I still can't get over the fact that Baldurk's name is seriously Baldur K.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I know you're true name now David, and thus, I have dominion over you :twisted:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Great article, loved how the author presented the real problems behind current LP trends instead of just talking about how lucrative the idea can be like a Game Informer article I saw a couple months ago.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Within that article posted:

Yet Future Friend and Boreham said they are not concerned with amassing large audiences. Instead, they are focused on having fun and entertaining those who do happen to watch them.
Let's Play needs more people like you two. There are way too many people trying to use it as an easy jump to "Youtube stardom", and that is, by far, one of the most pathetic things I see almost everybody on Youtube trying to accomplish these days.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mr DJB posted:

I used to live in Milton Keynes too. It was actually all right! Good article too.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

forbidden lesbian posted:

I know you're true name now David, and thus, I have dominion over you :twisted:

If you say my name three times into a bathroom mirror, I'll appear behind you and talk to you about video games until you die.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SnakemanMn posted:

Let's Play needs more people like you two.

There are plenty of people who do LP's for fun and to show off cool stuff, just look at this forum. The others are people who are strictly on youtube or independant that either try to make a living off of it or force themselves onto LP'ing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day Two

With the palette cleanser behind me, I jumped in with both feet to my next playlist. Posted just a couple of days before the first video for SMW, was Phil's first video for God of War.

Do I really need to explain why this caught my eye?

Phil kept the introductions short and sweet as he booted up the game, only to be met with a game update. I really can't understand how a person could prepare to sit down and record/stream a game and not make sure the game was up to date first, but hopefully it was a one-off flub on his part, and thankfully it was a speedy update. After the chat helped him adjust the audio levels I was able to hear his commentary.

I don't understand Phil's humor. I do not understand what he's going for. Often, he's mocking the game for things that don't make sense, like imitating sound effects from the game, but not at all in the way they actually sound. Sometimes, he's making very juvenile and unsophisticated comments, like saying Poseidon needs a breath mint, or saying an enemy is looking at Kratos' balls, or saying the hydra needs a breath mint (a lot of breath mint humor). Sometimes, he will latch onto an idea, and have a very difficult time letting it go, like deciding the lyrics to the music are "me gusta, tacos locos" and carrying along those lines with various Taco Bell-related comments for quite a while. He also really, really enjoys referring to people in the game as assholes, regardless of their roles. I just do not get it.

Phil played fairly well. I don't believe it was his first God of War game, as I glanced at some of the comments and they mentioned he played God of War 3 before this one. He was thorough in exploring areas for hidden chests (though there are not many hidden areas to find in the first part of the game), and he used a nice variety of attacks against enemies, and blocked to avoid taking a lot of damage. One thing that did confuse me was how he would put experience orbs toward upgrading, when he didn't have enough to upgrade, leaving me to wonder if he thought that actually did anything or not.

After making a passing comment that signaled he thought the game was based in Roman mythology, and another comment and made it clear he knew nothing about mythology at all, he defeated the hydra (hydras, as he thought they were) and celebrated with a thunderous belch. It was soon approaching the moment I was dreading, and anticipating, the most.

How do I accurately explain what happened next? Given past exposure to Phil's crazed, violent, sexual deviancy in anti-fan videos, I tried to prepare myself for... something. I was not prepared for :nws: THIS! :nws:

And that was a good stopping point for me.

Conclusions based on 4 videos of God of War HD (Approximately 45 minutes):

DSPositivity: Phil beats enemies into the ground while calling things assholes.
DSNegativity: Phil beats jokes into the ground while calling things assholes. Also belching at your audience is unwelcome. Mute button, Phil.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jamesman posted:

How do I accurately explain what happened next? Given past exposure to Phil's crazed, violent, sexual deviancy in anti-fan videos, I tried to prepare myself for... something. I was not prepared for THIS!

I honestly don't know exactly why, but I found that to be hilarious. Maybe it's the complete non-sequitur of it all ("Oh hey, boobies! Oh hey, gay marriage! Oh hey, loving minigame! Oh hey, more gay marriage!"), the fact I was already laughing because he completely botched the "censor bar", I don't know. Maybe I should watch more of these DSP montages, it seems like I'm missing out, because he seems to inadvertently perfectly nail one of the kinds of "humor" I absolutely adore - non-stop incompetence mixed with a heavy dosage of "what the gently caress just happened, and how the gently caress is he going to top that".

EDIT: Also, maybe he just takes the George Carlin approach when it comes to assholes, in that he really likes the word "rear end in a top hat" because it's such a great external target that can be applied in so many ways, even varying in type depending on volume, intonation and all that good stuff. I like using the term a lot myself over other, similar terms.

• Locked thread