Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Al2001 posted:

I'm pretty sure for a while owning a computer meant you technically needed a licence in the UK because you could potentially install a TV card (this was a few years before your new-fangled on demand services)
Unfortunately judgements are often issued in cases by judges with little or no idea about the technology involved. If the BBC can baffle the judge enough, the ruling stands in their favour until enough complaints encourage parliament to legislate properly. And unfortunately, 'the judge had no loving idea what we were talking about because he's 60 and can barely work email' is not really something the court of appeal are sympathetic to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
The same people think that viewing an image = making a copy of it because it downloads a copy to your hdd which didn't exist before you viewed it therefore you always get done for distribution too.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

This is an interesting page about the detector vans that may or may not exist.

One of the licensing blokes came around to my flat a month or two back at around seven asking to come in. The flat was a right loving mess and I'd just been working out and smoking weed. The scene must have made him a little uncomfortable as he just glanced around the room, asked if I watched television on my computer and I responded that I sit around watching the plants grow. He left pretty quickly, which was good as I had a television in my room I used to play my playstation on at the time.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If any of you don't live in a disgusting hovel perpetually smogged by weed smoke, where a person might actually want to spend time, just say no at the door.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mods please ban everyone itt who says BBC when they should say TVL

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cerv posted:

mods please ban everyone itt who says BBC when they should say TVL

Why would they do that?

Wikipedia posted:

The BBC pursues its licence fee collection and enforcement under the trading name "TV Licensing", but contracts much of the task to commercial organisations.

The BBC are the ones who outsource the collection to specific organisations, and they're responsible for it.

e: cited for morons.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 2, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mods please ban everyone who marks something up as a quote, but doesn't source it. cos that poo poo's just weird.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Foxtrot_13 posted:

North Norfolk Digital TV (sorry, Mustard) is ok and in parts you could think you were watching a soft news program from Look East, then the sports comes on and the lighting a camra quality gives it away.

I suppose its a good way for people to get work experiance but just like radio we have come to expect a certain level of quality and when you don't get it you turn over. Do we really need yet another channel that's even more local than the local BBC stuff?

Well I've genuinely seen the students at my uni do better shows than a lot of the local TV stuff so far. The 3rd years, mind. The other two have a way to go.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Was anyone brave enough to watch oval office vs. oval office?

I can't stand looking at Clegg so I skipped it, how was it?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Ratjaculation posted:

I dunno man. Im 2/3 ds of the way through right now (had nothing else to do except sleep) and my learned conclusion is that so far they are both cunts.

Strangly UK nazi seems to be getting much more clapping.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ratjaculation posted:

Oh, it was just delightful. Clegg reiterated the history of the universe and told people lots of figures they don't care about. Nige flirted eith an old lady, shouted soundbites, and declared war (really).

I did miss Corrie, mind.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Having Clegg defend EU membership is going to be about as effective as having Cameron campaign for Scotland staying in the union, which is to say that its like trying to advertise nice appealing food with endorsements from gently caress-off massive disgusting hairy spiders.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Looke posted:

That's a bit of a tall order trying to match that, however...

(I doubt anyone cares, but I'll spoiler it just incase.)

Basically two nurses are about to get married, male nurses ex tries to get on him before he gets married but he rejects her and says that he loves lady nurse etc etc. He rushes to the church where he's about to get married (he's late because he was in surgery, lol) His wife-to-be see's him and is like "omg you arrived I love you so much" goes to cross the road to embrace him and gets hit by a lorry and dies.

Ah hahaha! I love Caz and Holby for this very reason. I haven't seen this week's episodes as yet, but it's probably a good thing I read the spoiler, otherwise I'd've choked laughing.

NB: I was introduced to Caz about 20 years ago by an auntie who told me deliberately it was a comedy.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Nobody calls it Caz.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Clegg need to shut up about everything forever. He's working his way through sensible political ideas (voting reform, EU membership) and killing them with his support like Zig and Zag killing of novelty pop genres in the early 90s.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

Nobody calls it Caz.

Maybe it's generational? My auntie and her nutty friends all referred to it that way. They're between 70 and 80 years old on average.

Whatever it's called, the pair of them* have been very welcome brain candy for me every week for a long time, especially after a week of dealing with students :catdrugs:

*The shows, not my auntie, although she's awesome.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
the best bit in the clegg/farage debate was farage saying 'well labour said we'd get 35000 immigrants in from eastern europe and we actually got far more than anyone could have predicted!' and nobody picked him up on it and i did a lol.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

C4 is bringing back 15 to 1 next week with Britain's favourite lesbian* Sandi Toksvig presenting.

*Current ranking:
1. Sandi Toksvig
2. Clare Balding
3. Sue Perkins
4. Mary Portas

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

reality_groove posted:

C4 is bringing back 15 to 1 next week with Britain's favourite lesbian* Sandi Toksvig presenting.

*Current ranking:
1. Sandi Toksvig
2. Clare Balding
3. Sue Perkins
4. Mary Portas

Sue is better than Clare. <:mad:>

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sue Perkins is worse than cancer, especially when teamed up with that other unfunny shitlord.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sue Perkins is worse than cancer, especially when teamed up with that other unfunny shitlord.

Choose Your Own Post:
Who do you mean by "that other unfunny shitlord"?

If it's Giles Coren: I Agree
If it's Mel: gently caress you

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
ek

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ms Boods posted:

Maybe it's generational? My auntie and her nutty friends all referred to it that way. They're between 70 and 80 years old on average.

Whatever it's called, the pair of them* have been very welcome brain candy for me every week for a long time, especially after a week of dealing with students :catdrugs:

*The shows, not my auntie, although she's awesome.

I unashamedly watch Casualty every week too. Because it's so ridiculous at points, it makes me giggle like an idiot.

I've never watched Holby City though. Does it exist in the same universe as Casualty or something? And does it have the typically Casualty "LET'S GO PLAY FOOTBALL IN THAT POWER SUBSTATION" insane setups?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You are, I'm sorry to say, Incorrect.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

I unashamedly watch Casualty every week too. Because it's so ridiculous at points, it makes me giggle like an idiot.

I've never watched Holby City though. Does it exist in the same universe as Casualty or something? And does it have the typically Casualty "LET'S GO PLAY FOOTBALL IN THAT POWER SUBSTATION" insane setups?

Holby's in the same universe, and they occasionally have cross-overs; it's meant to be in a different part of the hospital. I just caught up with this week's, spoiler'd above. I am one of those people who know characters and storylines going back forever, and will frequently talk back to the show, MTS3K style. I care not who knows that I watch it; I get quite a bit of grief about it from my colleagues, but mysteriously, they seem all to know the current characters and plotlines, too.

Holby doesn't have the same 'Casualty moments' of 'camera lingers on sharp object, then pans over to small child, then back to object but closer so you can see there's no safety features' and so forth. Every once in a while, though Casualty throws in a ringer -- there was one once with two hassled, arguing parents, then shot of small toddler stumping about the kitchen floor, arguing parents, child wandering near a clearly boiling pot on stove, arguing parents, toddler reaching out -- then the second child comes in with a shotgun he's found in the shed and shoots the dad in the chest.

Rule of thumb on Holby: no one's allowed to be happy, ever. Two characters get engaged, one of them will be dead by the next major holiday. If it's start of the series, end of the series, or Christmas, someone, somewhere is going to get mown down by a passing van. (Casualty did it one series by having a van filled with juvenile delinquents distracting the driver enough for her not only to plow into the side of an illegal whorehouse, but to careen through a crowd of old dears who were stood on the sidewalk protesting the location of said whorehouse.)

Apologies for the long muse, but these shows are awesome. Awesomely silly. Having gone through the real-life stress and agony of my mom undergoing scary surgery for a sub-dural haematoma (twice, because infection set in after the first one), it still cracks me up that a previous head of the hospital survived not only having half his brain removed in a cancer surgery, but was back on the job as head of department and chief neurosurgeon after a few weeks. As you do.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 3, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

reality_groove posted:

C4 is bringing back 15 to 1 next week

Yaaaaaaay! :neckbeard:

reality_groove posted:

with Britain's favourite lesbian* Sandi Toksvig presenting.

She'll be good, but will the show be as good as it used to be without William G. Stewart?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
My boss was on The One Show yesterday talking about Dawlish apparently. Quite a good bit of company propaganda!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ms Boods posted:

there was one once with two hassled, arguing parents, then shot of small toddler stumping about the kitchen floor, arguing parents, child wandering near a clearly boiling pot on stove, arguing parents, toddler reaching out -- then the second child comes in with a shotgun he's found in the shed and shoots the dad in the chest.

10 out of loving 10, you have just created another Holby City fan.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So, We Need to Talk About Kevin is on iPlayer, you should watch it if you haven't already. Really drat good.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Great casting, but I wasn't that convinced with the film as a whole. Reading the book 1st ruins a lot of the suspense though I suppose.

Talking of Casualty: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26343239

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If anyone hoped that the removal of BBC4's dramatic budget would extirpate the ludicrously generic "famous 70s comedian had unhappy life" didn't bank on ITV. It turns out that Tommy Cooper too, was unhappy.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mr. Squishy posted:

If anyone hoped that the removal of BBC4's dramatic budget would extirpate the ludicrously generic "famous 70s comedian had unhappy life" didn't bank on ITV. It turns out that Tommy Cooper too, was unhappy.

Tommy Cooper in a bar with Des 0'Connor, having lost a shilling in amongst the glasses and debris on the bar
O'connor: "Its only a shilling Tommy, stop searching"
Cooper: " Its not the principle, Des, its the money"

Sad clowns can be the best clowns.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Keep seeing ads for Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. Best thing about BBC3 shutting has to be Nick Grimshaw getting less work.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Boods posted:

Holby's in the same universe, and they occasionally have cross-overs; it's meant to be in a different part of the hospital.
The 'Casualty' department is what English hospitals call their Emergency Room. So casualty tends to be about people who come in needing urgent care, Holby is about the 'non emergency' wards and tends to create storylines from patients who have long-term conditions that turn chronic or who are reaching their terminus (and the zany antics of the staff who care for them / sleep with each other).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The 'Casualty' department is what English hospitals call their Emergency Room. So casualty tends to be about people who come in needing urgent care, Holby is about the 'non emergency' wards and tends to create storylines from patients who have long-term conditions that turn chronic or who are reaching their terminus (and the zany antics of the staff who care for them / sleep with each other).

Cheers -- been in Britain a long time (and have even been taken to casualty, which, locally was 1. disappointingly called A & E and 2. even more disappointingly, the doctors weren't all hot, the nurses weren't wearing more slap than a firesale at the make-up counter at Boots and 3. no sign of Charlie anywhere to hove into view to give an annoying lecture about the fine benefits of the NHS :) )

I think originally, Holby City took place in the section of the hospital where the heart surgery stuff took place in the room next door to gyne-obs -- so you not only got babies being born in lifts all the time, but you also got like the world's rarest heart conditions strolling in and out of the hospital like some sort of cardio-May pole dance.

One of my dreams will shortly be coming true on Casualty, as Derek 'Charlie Fairhead' Thompson was part of a brother-sister singing duo back in the '60s (they appeared in such fine family entertainment as Gonks Go Beat), but now that they've added Lee Mead to the cast, they're threatening to have LM and Charlie perform. Will it be as good as the time when the normally grim & stoic head of department had to coax down from the roof a troubled young girl who cried and cried that she couldn't, and he reached deeply within himself for the long-recessed sensitive side lain dormant beneath his stoney exterior and softly reassured her that everything was fine and to just come to him, and yet she cried that she couldn't come safely down from the scaffolding at the top of the roof; then he held out his hand and gently coaxed her, only for her to fling back her free hand which, until now we didn't realise was clutching a nail gun, and exclaimed, 'I really can't come down; I've nailed myself to the wall!'

Time will tell...

And because you want to know, a selection of hits from Derek and Elaine
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=derek+and+elaine

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I've been going through Fresh Meat as it always seems goons rave about it, and I think its pretty over rated. The characters are all pretty one dimensional and theres not a likeable person in the show.

Weirdly I also have been rewatching Nathan Barley, where all the characters are also unlikeable, but they have a depth and the show still stands up today as pretty good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The first season of Fresh Meat was really good, but I've given up on it now as they've fallen into the trap of putting the characters into a stagnant loop of being unpleasant and never actually growing.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

VogeGandire posted:

10 out of loving 10, you have just created another Holby City fan.

They're really bad parents. It was only a matter of time before this happened.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Taff posted:

I've been going through Fresh Meat as it always seems goons rave about it, and I think its pretty over rated. The characters are all pretty one dimensional and theres not a likeable person in the show.

Weirdly I also have been rewatching Nathan Barley, where all the characters are also unlikeable, but they have a depth and the show still stands up today as pretty good.

I'm the same, I wanted to like Fresh Meat but it's wank.

Nathan Barley, I'm still convinced, is more bona-fide evidence that Chris Morris can see into the future.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

VogeGandire posted:

Nathan Barley, I'm still convinced, is more bona-fide evidence that Chris Morris can see into the future.

Thats the crazy part isnt it. It makes it not feel dated.

I want a Wasp phone, with an extra large number 5 as its the most used number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The funny thing about Barley is, most of the media reaction to it was that it came too late - the whole Hoxton thing was played out and done by the time the show aired. I disagree completely, and think it's a great show.

I can't even think about the scene in Stanley Knives with the scissors and that loving cat. Every single time I just crease up laughing because of the look on its face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x4L1PCM74w

Oh God, there I go again...