Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

JerryLee posted:

I was going to say there were enemy colored gold cards in BotG, but it was only Kiora and her followers... still, no reason why they can't go with Ajani and a few of his bros/sisters.
There were four other guys who used enemy colors: Akroan Phalanx, Odunos River Trawler, Stormcaller of Keranos, and Graverobber Spider.

Also, to gently caress up Karametra: Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

JerryLee posted:

I was going to say there were enemy colored gold cards in BotG, but it was only Kiora and her followers... still, no reason why they can't go with Ajani and a few of his bros/sisters.

There do seem to be quite a number of kitties in some of that art, plus we already have Brimaz and his clan.

Do we know anything about Oreskos from the lore? Maybe that's a hint at how Ajani will turn out.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I always thought the bots just connected to modos IRC backend, but then of course how would they interact with the trading fields. I know some were banned recently for dll injection so the ones that are left must just use UI scripting.

The bots actually uses OCR to parse whatever is on the screen at the moment which I find all kinds of hilarious. Then I assume they just fake mouse clicks to interact with the client.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

netcat posted:

The bots actually uses OCR to parse whatever is on the screen at the moment which I find all kinds of hilarious. Then I assume they just fake mouse clicks to interact with the client.

They're not fake clicks. The bot takes control of the computer.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Someone get on making a version that can scrape the UI in the new client. Be the first on the block when they force the old client into retirement and make out like a bandit. I only ask for 5% of gross for this fantastic idea.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Someone get on making a version that can scrape the UI in the new client. Be the first on the block when they force the old client into retirement and make out like a bandit. I only ask for 5% of gross for this fantastic idea.

MTGO Library has this already but I don't know if it's released yet.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zemyla posted:

Also, to gently caress up Karametra: Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon.

I don't get how this messes with Karametra at all, unless the player is absurdly heavy on nonbasics.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

What a Judas posted:

MTGO Library has this already but I don't know if it's released yet.

Well we all need to get on this and just make a better one people want to use even though they have to pay 5% :cheers:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Edit: hey did you get those cards I sent you?

I did! Came yesterday, good job.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kabanaw posted:

Everything is set up for a GW Mythic in JOU, there's even an incomplete cycle of allied color mythics in Theros that's missing GW.
I anxiously await my 6cmc GW Mythic creature that gives all my tokens pro black, gives me 6 life, and searches my library for three basic lands that then go into my hand. (I really hate the current design space of GW)

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Mindisgone posted:

Well we all need to get on this and just make a better one people want to use even though they have to pay 5% :cheers:

MTGO Library takes quite a bit more than 5%, so go for it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

Chain Reaction and Blasphemous Act are two of my favorite lesser-known Wrath effects in mono-red.

My favorite move ever is casting Blasphemous act with Boros Reckoner and Furnace of Wrath out. Here...take 52 damage.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

My favorite move ever is casting Blasphemous act with Boros Reckoner and Furnace of Wrath out. Here...take 52 damage.

I presume two Reckoners or two Furnaces? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I don't get how this messes with Karametra at all, unless the player is absurdly heavy on nonbasics.

It doesn't, really, she just searches for basic lands.

Playing Ephara with a blink deck, I will say there is one card I have that just ruins the guy who plays Karametra in my group. Stonehorn Dignitary, woo woo. In general though, there are a number of artifacts and enchantments in all colors to slow her down significantly and at that point, it's a proper race.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Serperoth posted:

I presume two Reckoners or two Furnaces? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Act does 26 to Boros Reckoner whose outgoing damage gets doubled again by Furnace of Rath to 52.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I think the fastest I put anyone from fine to tilt was with The Aristocrats, he was playing Naya blitz and dominating the last game, and played just enough creatures that I could afford to play Reckoner, a Blood Artist and cast Blasphemous Act for R, taking something like 22 life.

And since someone brought it up from around the OP, some of my favourite cards are Blood Artist and Falkenrath Aristocrat. I like Artist's effect anyway, but in that environment Aristocrat was pretty nuts.

And as another aside, I like to have something on my desk to fiddle with, a Transformers toy, a sketch pad, something like that. Right now I've taken to dealing out hands from my newly-assembled Breakfast Burrito deck and trying to combo them off.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Ramos posted:

It doesn't, really, she just searches for basic lands.

templating says "Plains or Forest card" but that caps the non-basics she fetches to only a few (dual, shock, dryad arbor, etc)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

It still doesn't gently caress with them, because in the library they're still Temple Garden or Scrubland or Murmuring Bosk

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Act does 26 to Boros Reckoner whose outgoing damage gets doubled again by Furnace of Rath to 52.

Oh drat, I WAS missing something. I thought it only doubled damage to creatures. Thanks.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tharizdun posted:

It still doesn't gently caress with them, because in the library they're still Temple Garden or Scrubland or Murmuring Bosk

I guess I was imagining a no-basic-lands Karametra EDH, which really defeats the purpose of Karametra now that I think about it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LordSaturn posted:

I guess I was imagining a no-basic-lands Karametra EDH, which really defeats the purpose of Karametra now that I think about it.

The deck in question usually had only its duals and sometimes a gaea's cradle or gavony township for nonbasics and an unpleasantly large pile of forests that Blood Moon doesn't even touch.

But really since my deck is Krenko, Mob Boss, I just need to play more goblins and win before the Elesh Norn drops and makes all the goblins die.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The deck in question usually had only its duals and sometimes a gaea's cradle or gavony township for nonbasics and an unpleasantly large pile of forests that Blood Moon doesn't even touch.

But really since my deck is Krenko, Mob Boss, I just need to play more goblins and win before the Elesh Norn drops and makes all the goblins die.

Then yeah, the answer is to pump bigger, go faster, and use Goblin Assassin.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
At FNM last week a guy pointed out that on Sun's Champion, Elspeth looks like Justin Bieber and now I can't un-see it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SharkTattoos posted:

At FNM last week a guy pointed out that on Sun's Champion, Elspeth looks like Justin Bieber and now I can't un-see it.

Not seeing it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Is this Top Cards tab on Deckbox new along with the other changes? Also, can we use this data to figure out the exact popularity order of the colored Theros boxes?

Most "Unwanted" Rare, Special and Mythic Cards
Based on the number of active users that have these rare cards in their tradelist.
code:
Place 	Name 				#
1	Clone 				1443
2	Bident of Thassa 		1138
3	Abhorrent Overlord 		1058
4 	Ember Swallower 		1055
5 	Shipbreaker Kraken 		1052
6 	Celestial Archon 		997
7 	Anthousa, Setessan Hero 	986
8 	Planar Cleansing 		954
9 	Anax and Cymede 		934
10 	Archon of the Triumvirate 	931

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SharkTattoos posted:

Bieber's not asian.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Played for the first time in awhile over the weekend, just casual multiplayer stuff.
I was blown away by how much money some people spend on their decks, and how ridiculous it is to run up against someone that buys the same decks as Champion winners and then plays them in a kitchen table format.
Even though I didn't win any games everyone left with a healthy respect for my BG Gorgon deck. Gaze of Granite is pretty good for dealing with Master of Waves.
Everyone scrambled to kill me when I played Hythonia the Cruel too early and I didn't have enough field wipes to hold them off a few rounds longer.
Looking forward to Phrika for sure, if only to have one more expensive Gorgon legend in my deck.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Toshimo posted:

Bieber's not asian.

She doesn't look Asian. She looks Mediterranean. Like Mediterranean Bieber.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Got a choice of GPTs this weekend, can either do Standard about an hour or so from London, or I can go further for a free Block Constructed GPT. Both are for Manchester, and I'm thinking I might have a better chance with monoblack at the block one. I figure the format and distance from London will ofset it being free?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ I want to say european meta is more Esper heavy but I could be totally wrong. Online I see a lot of Mono U from european pros.

Boco_T posted:

Is this Top Cards tab on Deckbox new along with the other changes? Also, can we use this data to figure out the exact popularity order of the colored Theros boxes?

Most "Unwanted" Rare, Special and Mythic Cards
Based on the number of active users that have these rare cards in their tradelist.
code:
Place 	Name 				#
1	Clone 				1443
2	Bident of Thassa 		1138
3	Abhorrent Overlord 		1058
4 	Ember Swallower 		1055
5 	Shipbreaker Kraken 		1052
6 	Celestial Archon 		997
7 	Anthousa, Setessan Hero 	986
8 	Planar Cleansing 		954
9 	Anax and Cymede 		934
10 	Archon of the Triumvirate 	931
The sound of 986 people realizing how bad Anthousa is. :bang:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Six of those cards are pre-release promos, one was a release promo, and one was in Heros v Monsters. It's not really surprising that the cards that show up on the most trade lists are bad cards almost everyone is guaranteed to have at least one of.

Planar Cleansing and Clone seem to be in the category of "no one is really playing this much but someone might actually want it." There a zillion worse rares but no one feels the need to list them because they just assume no one wants them. It's not really worth the effort to put your Trait Doctorings up for trade.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Are Abhorrent Overlord and Shipbreaker Kraken really not that good?

I've only just started getting into this and I've been modifying those 2 intro decks quite a lot but I like both of those cards...

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

CODChimera posted:

I've only just started getting into this and I've been modifying those 2 intro decks quite a lot but I like both of those cards...

Shipbreaker Kraken is outstanding in Sealed.

Also, to whoever it was wondering if the Elspeth+Ajani art was for Heroes' Reunion or Congregation at Dawn, MaRo just posted [url=http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/81512063971/hello-i-know-that-you-do-not-give-us-spoilers-ahead]this on his tumblr:

quote:

scofalik asked: Hello, I know that you do not give us spoilers ahead, but magic community would be thankful if you deny that Elspeth+Ajani art from newest Planeswalker guides is for Heroes' Reunion. Everybody is guessing that with sadness in their voice :)

It is not on Heroes’ Reunion. It’s on a cool new card that includes a new mechanic.

Also aren't there usually some cards leaked by this point? Waiting for spoiler season takes forever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

CODChimera posted:

6 or 7 mana is a lot of mana. If you're paying that much mana for something, you want it to be a creature that doesn't just eat a doom blade or Detention Sphere before you even get a chance to attack with it.

Blue decks would rather play Aetherling, black decks are doing just fine with cheaper threats like Desecration Demon and Gray Merchant of Asphodel, they don`t really want a 7-drop.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

They're not competitive cards is the main thing, but still fun cards in my opinion, which makes them desirable for me. It's just important to remember what's competitive and what isn't is a major determining factor for how widely wanted a card is.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They're pretty badass in draft and sealed, where removal is harder to come by because their impact is loving huge. But yeah in constructed play you tend to want your huge expensive cards to either win you the game immediately (actual wins like Craterhoof Behemoth or de facto wins like Cruel Ultimatum), be resilient/resistant to removal (e.g. Aetherling, Emrakul the Aeons Torn, Spiritmonger for something further back) , or to give you value before your opponent can even react (Grave Titan, Angel of Serenity).

The best fatties often do more than one of these things.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

CODChimera posted:

In Constructed, the rule of thumb is that your 6+ costing card better either be hard to kill(for example, Aetherling), or give you value even if it gets killed immediately, (Craterhoof Behemoth) Abhorrent overlord actually gets kind of close to the second one with the army of tokens, but it's not scary enough for a 7 drop on its own and the numbers of tokens is too conditional.

uruloki
Jan 8, 2007

SHIT YEAH, REQUISITION ME SOME OF THAT SHIT, BITCH

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

Mindisgone posted:

Would anyone be interested in a Goon MTGO League? I am thinking of starting a thread similar to the Poke League thread. If enough people are interested I will start it up. Besides coordinating on games and tournaments, we should have a goon trade bot to pool commons so we can all benefit from it as well.

I'd be in.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Entropic posted:

6 or 7 mana is a lot of mana. If you're paying that much mana for something, you want it to be a creature that doesn't just eat a doom blade or Detention Sphere before you even get a chance to attack with it.

Blue decks would rather play Aetherling, black decks are doing just fine with cheaper threats like Desecration Demon and Gray Merchant of Asphodel, they don`t really want a 7-drop.

Ahh ok, that makes sense. I have quite a few big creatures in my black/blue deck at the moment(Abhorrent, Eater of Hope, Lord of the Void, Champion of Stray Souls) mainly because they look interesting or a lack of choices. I'm just casually playing for now so I've got a lot to learn anyway. Definitely going to try and get a Desecration Demon at some point though.

I really like the devotion mechanic and hope they bring in more cards with it. Addicting stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

a dozen swans posted:

Shipbreaker Kraken is outstanding in Sealed.

Also, to whoever it was wondering if the Elspeth+Ajani art was for Heroes' Reunion or Congregation at Dawn, MaRo just posted [url=http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/81512063971/hello-i-know-that-you-do-not-give-us-spoilers-ahead]this on his tumblr:

Also aren't there usually some cards leaked by this point? Waiting for spoiler season takes forever.
Usually a handful of things would have been leaked by now. I hope this isn't a bad sign that there's nothing worth spoiling for the people at WotC that spoil these things. Like for Theros we got the spoiler of springleaf drum pretty far out. Looking back its funny some people thought "No way that has to be fake! They've been moving away from that kind of acceleration!"

• Locked thread