Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

HGH posted:

Also, the Touhou LP died/fell into archives. Alas, the mediocrity of TD managed to kill even that. It had a good run.

RIP Touhou LP

Also RIP Clarste's editor. There's a new Wild and Horned Hermit and three Forbidden Scrollery chapters out by now and nobody else can be arsed to translate them. Can't even trust random weeaboos on the net to prepare your entertainment for you, for free anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

a cartoon duck posted:

Also RIP Clarste's editor. There's a new Wild and Horned Hermit and three Forbidden Scrollery chapters out by now and nobody else can be arsed to translate them. Can't even trust random weeaboos on the net to prepare your entertainment for you, for free anymore.

Gah, don't remind me. This situation has been bugging me a lot recently. I wonder if I can, like, order the magazines online and scan them myself...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RIP Touhou LP.

3 victims so far and counting.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How about people not try and LP every Touhou game ever made which inevitably leads to burnout. Just pick one and play it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Coming 2028: Let's Play Fantasy Maiden Wars P.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

HGH posted:

His stage design is really bad compared to his bosses. The bosses all have pretty fancy attacks and gimmicks and make you think how to dodge even starting with stage 1, but most of his stage enemies seem to consist of "high speed weaklings that appear suddenly and all fire streamable bullets". They're still nice games and have interesting mechanics though, but he really needs to work on the levels for the third game.
His original music is still pretty fine though.

Yeah I guess I should have put a disclaimer on that that his stage design is nothing spectacular. He does do some neat things with enemy patterns every so often, but it's pretty clear that he puts most of his effort into the bosses (which I don't necessarily disagree with). Some of his spellcards really are fantastic though. Just never try to beat EMS's Absurdly Extra stage, because it's pretty absurd :v:.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

How about people not try and LP every Touhou game ever made which inevitably leads to burnout. Just pick one and play it.

Yeah, if you want a short LP thread.
One day we'll be blessed with a true touhou LPer, one capable of 1ccing all the games without burning out.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Brb livestreaming a 100% Double Spoiler run. What could go wrong?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Brb livestreaming a 100% Double Spoiler run. What could go wrong?

You should actually do it though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Coming 2028: Let's Play Fantasy Maiden Wars P.
I'm still holding out for "Let's Translate Devil of Decline". :unsmigghh:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm still holding out for "Let's Translate Devil of Decline". :unsmigghh:

I could hypothetically do this with some assistance, but then I remember my various attempts and failures to work up the effort to LP Genius of Sappheiros, and it just seems like trying to LP an inferior game would be a lost cause.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

One day that one guy'll finish the touhou VN and then I'll LP that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Namtab posted:

One day that one guy'll finish the touhou VN and then I'll LP that.

Only if you do it in DDRD.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You're not my LP dad

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.sporcle.com/games/ThndrMge/touhou-character-boss-themes I got linked to this name that Touhou tune quiz. I got 26/52 because I only really played SA and IN (and a bit of the demo for UFO). I spent half the time trying to remember Yuugi's name but couldn't do it at all.
:negative:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nftyw posted:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/ThndrMge/touhou-character-boss-themes I got linked to this name that Touhou tune quiz. I got 26/52 because I only really played SA and IN (and a bit of the demo for UFO). I spent half the time trying to remember Yuugi's name but couldn't do it at all.

I got 100% (not that I'd settle for anything less), but I only got Chen by the process of elimination. I was seriously convinced that was Letty's theme, and that the test had gotten it wrong, until I got to Letty's actual theme. I guess PCB blends together in my head.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

nftyw posted:

After I saw the answers I went back over it, and it's definitly :psyduck: at how I could miss some of these themes, but it's much harder when the character's name isn't fresh in your mind.

http://i.imgur.com/o4N14Jo.png

^^^^^ Haha, you thought Chen was Letty too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is there an updated version for post-UFO?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

If that's the case then I'd miss all the new questions. :ohdear:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I can't identify anyone's theme from just a 7-second clip. What do you think I am, some kind of nerd? :colbert:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
The only one I had to do via process of elimination was Medicine's, because who even plays PofV?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

The only one I had to do via process of elimination was Medicine's, because who even plays PofV?

Medicine has that distinct instrument in her theme that I don't think is in any other song.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
25/52

I would do better if I knew more names. For a bunch of them, I could tell you which stage of which game the theme was from, but somehow that didn't count.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I should mention for some reason I could not remember Utsuho's name, so I put in "Okuu" and it totally accepted it :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah it says it accepts nicknames.

100%. :toot: Only ones that tripped me up were Wriggle (I just drew a complete blank for a bit), Kanako (too used to more slow paced arranges), and Rin (I remember Lullaby of a Deserted Hell waaaaay more). Too bad it didn't have anything from DDC, I haven't completely memorized those yet because a House Set hasn't come out.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Dang I got 100%. Neeeeeeeeeerd! For the record I got 40-some right before I had to replay the songs.
The themes I did not recognize were from the fighting games (which I don't play because I'm terrible at them) and PoFV so I guessed. Looking at the results, only half of those who took the quiz recognized Iku's theme and is the least recognizable theme.

I laughed at them using only the beginning swell for Reimu's theme.

It's weird how that little quiz puts into perspective that ZUN wrote a lot of music for his games.

Is there a PC-98 one? Mystic Square's soundtrack is pretty badass.
And I would like to see a post-UFO version as well. I'd totally fail anything from TD because the music is kinda weird in that one. Besides Desire Drive and Seiga's theme, I can never recognize any themes from TD even though I love the game.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Which touhou is the best at gambling?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
On games of pure chance, Keine. If she doesn't like the results, she can eat them. :v:

On games against other opponents, Satori, natch.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
100%. I'm a little surprised at how fast I recognized Medicine's theme.

DrPaper posted:

Which touhou is the best at gambling?

Sakuya could probably cheat pretty hard at any game that isn't a slot machine.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Manipulating the Border of Winning and Not Winning would be pretty trivial for Yukari, I'd say.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Gensokyo is filled with a bunch of cheating jerks.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Gensokyo is filled with a bunch of cheating jerks.

I understand why all the others are there except for Cirno. What powers does she have that can help with cheating at the game?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

nftyw posted:

Wow, I can't believe I forgot Suika's theme. I just associate Broken Moon with her I guess.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 3, 2014

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
It is canon that Reimu has suspiciously good luck because of her sharp intuition: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Curiosities_of_Lotus_Asia/Chapter_27

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

I understand why all the others are there except for Cirno. What powers does she have that can help with cheating at the game?

I think the generally accepted interpretation is that Tewi is using Cirno as a "mind shield" so that when Satori tries to read Tewi's mind, she reads Cirno's instead.

Par for the course, really.

Also, Eiki is apparently declaring the game "white", as in, all this cheating balances out.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

JosephWongKS posted:

I always assumed Tewi put her there to be a mental vacuum between her and Satori http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/339029

efb

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The one who lives the longest is the best gambler.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Of course she's there. Only an idiot would try to gamble with these cheaters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HellCopter posted:

Of course she's there. Only an idiot would try to gamble with these cheaters.

She's not actually playing. Mahjong is a 4 person game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I got 100% on the Touhous music quiz.

:smug:

:shepface: