Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Taff posted:

So in your games no one can finish but the goalies are crap?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean you spacker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
The problem I have with most people I play with is not listening to me. I'm the keeper, when I tell you to step up on the ballcarrier, don't loving hang back and give him the space to rip a shot into the top corner.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Intelligent, off the ball movement.

No, don't just loving run wildly around the pitch, try and get yourself in between players in a channel.

No don't stand near your loving defender and try and steal his wallet.

Ah gently caress it i'll do it myself.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

JFairfax posted:

my favourite pre-match preparation

Right,

JFairfax posted:

was going out all night dancing

Oh

JFairfax posted:

and doing coke/mdma getting no sleep

What the!

JFairfax posted:

and playing in the final game of the season

!!

Lmao

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Captain Trips posted:

The problem I have with most people I play with is not listening to me. I'm the keeper, when I tell you to step up on the ballcarrier, don't loving hang back and give him the space to rip a shot into the top corner.

I have a problem with keepers that tell me what to do when I'm sweeper unless it's a reminder to push up or it's just general heads up to make sure I know where defenders are. Do professionals have to have the keeper tell them what to do or do the defenders coordinate the poo poo among themselves or with at least on of the central ones being a captain?

Just to be clear...if defenders are letting people rip shots, then yeah gently caress those guys, but our keeper used to try to tell us to do the wrong thing all of the time.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 3, 2014

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Don't get me started on sweepers. There was one big fat gently caress who played "sweeper" during indoor season this winter, but all he really did was stand in the way and try to block shots. Which is all well and good, but when he would miss an incoming ball, he would block my view of it entirely and it would be on top of me before I could react.

Sweepers who stand inside the 6-yard box are the worst. Step up more.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Curious, roughly how long were the fields for indoor?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
lol sweepers is such an unnecessary part of tactics in America it's hilarious. Our team is one of only like 2 in our division that do not employ a sweeper and just uses a back four.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

cosmicjim posted:

Curious, roughly how long were the fields for indoor?

About the size of a hockey rink.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
sweepers are terrible because 99% of the time they have no idea how to zonally mark and position themselves, so they just confuse the gently caress out of the other defenders and some wanker ends up waltzing through all of them while the defenders stand and stare at each other.

keeper as per usual is shouting at anything in a 5 mile radius but in this example i think his rage is justified.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

lol sweepers is such an unnecessary part of tactics in America it's hilarious. Our team is one of only like 2 in our division that do not employ a sweeper and just uses a back four.

We actually play a 3-5-2 because the strength of our team is the center midfielders.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Sweeper is code for "I want to run even less than a regular center back."

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Shrapnig posted:

We actually play a 3-5-2 because the strength of our team is the center midfielders.

Nice, I'm pushing really hard for us as a team experiment with a diamond midfield or something because we have terrible wingers and our fullbacks are all failed centre halves.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Sweepers were a south/central american thing that just spread. I blame mexico more than anybody.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

cosmicjim posted:

I have a problem with keepers that tell me what to do when I'm sweeper unless it's a reminder to push up or it's just general heads up to make sure I know where defenders are. Do professionals have to have the keeper tell them what to do or do the defenders coordinate the poo poo among themselves or with at least on of the central ones being a captain?
A huge part of a keeper's game is helping to keep the defense organised, even in the professional game. Yeah, they should be able to do it themselves, but sometimes the keeper can have a better view to read where attacking players are going to go, and what space needs to be covered. It's a team effort, and you always need good communication. If someone's telling you that you should do something, just loving do it. The worst thing is to turn around and have a go at that player.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

In your guys' experience, what have you noticed is the rarest skill among people you play with?

Intelligence and composure.

The ability to solve problems, read situations, tactical understand and be able to perform under pressure is the rarest skill imo. Even if you don't have good technique the ability to perform within your means is incredibly important.

Fitness is also extremely important, to be able to do all this combined with the the physical part, but I strongly believe the mental aspect is maybe the most important for a player.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

cosmicjim posted:

I love this answer. Every team I join, my teammates argue and bully just as much the other team if not more, and every game they argue and nearly get into fist fights and blame the other team for being a bunch of dicks.
There's something about football that turns adults into 5yr olds, it's true.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

euroboy posted:

Fitness is also extremely important, to be able to do all this combined with the the physical part, but I strongly believe the mental aspect is maybe the most important for a player.
I can usually make up for a lack of fitness by reading the game well, so while it's important you can compensate for not having it. I mostly just play smaller sided games (up to 7 or 8 a side) which helps, I can still get done really easily by someone who's really fast though. There's a guy who I play with on Wednesdays, if you're against him he can just run rings around your entire team. He doesn't always use much finesse though, so he'll typically knock the ball past one player to run on to it - if you have a covering player, you can usually win it. Being one-on-one against him loving sucks though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

cosmicjim posted:

Just to be clear...if defenders are letting people rip shots, then yeah gently caress those guys, but our keeper used to try to tell us to do the wrong thing all of the time.

irlZaphod posted:

A huge part of a keeper's game is helping to keep the defense organised, even in the professional game. Yeah, they should be able to do it themselves, but sometimes the keeper can have a better view to read where attacking players are going to go, and what space needs to be covered. It's a team effort, and you always need good communication. If someone's telling you that you should do something, just loving do it. The worst thing is to turn around and have a go at that player.

My five-a-side team has a pretty good keeper and he's constantly telling me when I need to make adjustments or if I'm blocking his view of the ball, or just not staying central when I need to. It frequently leads to defensive stops. I fuckin love it, I'd rather take orders and win than get mad because I might disagree with the keeper.

Also he's a Polish guy named Sev and his last name is a bunch of consonants, so I just assume he knows what he's talking about. Also the spelling of Sczezcznznzny apparently makes total sense to him, so he's clearly authentic.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
First indoor soccer (7 on 7) coed game is Sunday and I haven't played in about 10 years.. Any solid advice for someone whose going to be playing mainly defense?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Stretch.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

fyallm posted:

First indoor soccer (7 on 7) coed game is Sunday and I haven't played in about 10 years.. Any solid advice for someone whose going to be playing mainly defense?
Scythe down their forwards at the first opportunity to set a precedent.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

This, obviously. I also would say communication is absolutely key, though in a 7 vs 7 game I imagine it will be mainly you switching between defence and midfield. I absolutely hate twats who think they are a sweeper and can just sit in defence contributing nothing to forward play, it's especially hilarious to play against teams who employ those types of sweepers and they just play everyone onside.

I'd say for a defence you should be ideally be able to read the game well but since you haven't played in 10 years, just go wherever your keeper tells you to.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Why would you play offside in a 7v7 match?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tracking back and fitness are my only two strengths and I'm still poo poo.

Our sweeper is a girl who is roughly 6 inches taller than me and has legs so long that when she runs it looks like she's running underwater. She can't catch anyone that gets past her, but if she gets on you she'll somehow reach the ball even if your back is to her.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

This, obviously. I also would say communication is absolutely key, though in a 7 vs 7 game I imagine it will be mainly you switching between defence and midfield. I absolutely hate twats who think they are a sweeper and can just sit in defence contributing nothing to forward play, it's especially hilarious to play against teams who employ those types of sweepers and they just play everyone onside.

I'd say for a defence you should be ideally be able to read the game well but since you haven't played in 10 years, just go wherever your keeper tells you to.

I probably wouldn't even of thought of stretching, ha. I do run 5k's 3 times a week so I shouldn't be too out of shape..

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

fyallm posted:

I probably wouldn't even of thought of stretching, ha. I do run 5k's 3 times a week so I shouldn't be too out of shape..

You're going to die a slow, agonizing, oxygen deprived death. Just be ready for it.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Mmm yes, I'm ready to die today in our first game of the season in defence and be blamed for it. It's been raining all day too so the pitch is going to be poo poo.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Patellar tendonitis in my left knee, will definitely miss our tournament match on saturday and if we go through might miss the round of 16 as well.

Was getting into a nice rhythm playing 3 times a week too. At least I did the right thing and went to the physio instead of toughing it up and making it worse.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Warm up but don't stretch. Stretching is deprecated, just do the movements you'll be doing in game at low intensity

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

vaginal culture posted:

Warm up but don't stretch. Stretching is deprecated, just do the movements you'll be doing in game at low intensity

I open palm slap a VHS into its slot. It's a Champions League match and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character, Oliver Kahn. I do every move and do every move hard.

90 minutes plus wind down every prematch.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Bobby Digital posted:

I open palm slap a VHS into its slot. It's a Champions League match and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character, Oliver Kahn. I do every move and do every move hard.

Are you also a goalkeeper?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

Not many can say they escaped the most dangerous stadium in the galaxy.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Drogadon posted:

Patellar tendonitis in my left knee, will definitely miss our tournament match on saturday and if we go through might miss the round of 16 as well.

Was getting into a nice rhythm playing 3 times a week too. At least I did the right thing and went to the physio instead of toughing it up and making it worse.

I just started going to a PT for my quad tendinitis last month. Kicking myself I didn't go sooner. It and a spell of rest have done wonders for me this spring.

I feel like I hear the word "glutes" a dozen times each session.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Are you also a goalkeeper?

Usually, but if there's a better keeper or a fat dude who can't do anything else I play forward.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital posted:

Usually, but if there's a better keeper or a fat dude who can't do anything else I play forward.

I think we have found why there is often a finishing problem

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
playing outfield must be a real anathema for goons. I hate playing goalkeeper because I get super bored and we usually have to beg someone to play goalkeeper on our team. I love playing holding midfield though, just running around and twatting into people is something I take great pride in.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

JFairfax posted:

I think we have found why there is often a finishing problem

That's why I'm baffled by it. I'm not a clinical finisher by any means, but my shots are usually on target and away from the keeper. It doesn't seem that tough.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Bobby Digital posted:

That's why I'm baffled by it. I'm not a clinical finisher by any means, but my shots are usually on target and away from the keeper. It doesn't seem that tough.

I'm way better at heading or shooting when I have time on the ball to place my shots, if I'm harried or anything I tend to lash at the ball and don't really place good shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

playing outfield must be a real anathema for goons. I hate playing goalkeeper because I get super bored and we usually have to beg someone to play goalkeeper on our team. I love playing holding midfield though, just running around and twatting into people is something I take great pride in.

I play 5 a side so it's never boring unless it's a blowout.