Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
REI got in on the April 1 specials action:

http://www.rei.com/share/tiny-tent.html

e: Oh sure, now the attachment works

And adventure gear for kittens!
http://www.rei.com/share/adventure-kitten-gear.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I actually kind of want one of those mini display tents for my dog

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Levitate posted:

I actually kind of want one of those mini display tents for my dog

My wife and I comment on the need for a mini tent every time we see one

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I picked up a Powerfilm 10V folding solar charging panel. Hopefully it works well enough for the two weeks I'll be out filming. I will report back sometime in May how it does!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

BeefofAges posted:

As I've gotten further and further into ultralight, nothing at REI seems worth getting anymore :(

Don't discount them yet, they might just be slow to move into that space. BPL really likes the new Dash 2 tent. I saw it yesterday when I went in to spend my rebate. I'm not in the market for a tent, but it looks good.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If you want an inflatable pad, the REI flash is also comparable in weigh to the Exped UL, even if it is a mummy shape versus rectangular.

Generally their Flash line isn't bad if you're looking to cut some weight without getting into reallllly ultralite stuff and boutique retailers and spending gobs of money

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

beefnoodle posted:

Don't discount them yet, they might just be slow to move into that space. BPL really likes the new Dash 2 tent. I saw it yesterday when I went in to spend my rebate. I'm not in the market for a tent, but it looks good.

When I asked an employee why they don't stock UL gear, they explained that ignorant customers buy it, misuse it, break it, and then return it, so it's not profitable to stock it.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Are leather hiking boots actually practical for backpacking? I've always worn gore-tex boots like the Vasque GTX but I'm eyeing a pair of Danners or similar for my next pair because they seem like they will last forever. I have to imagine they're less breathable, but do they still work well for backpacking?

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

door Door door posted:

Are leather hiking boots actually practical for backpacking? I've always worn gore-tex boots like the Vasque GTX but I'm eyeing a pair of Danners or similar for my next pair because they seem like they will last forever. I have to imagine they're less breathable, but do they still work well for backpacking?

I wore leather boots for a number of years in the military. It was horrible breaking them in, but they do last forever, if you take care of them.

For backpacking, I would look for something a bit lighter, and more comfortable. Several people have mentioned that waterproofing isn't really all it is cracked up to be versus just changing your socks if they get wet. It really comes down to the terrain you are going to be dealing with. Desert vs mountains vs rainforest or what have you.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

I've got a pair of old school scarpa boots like these that I used a lot when I lived out west. They are all leather and leather-lined and after a bitch of a break-in, they feel like slippers now.

But they're heavy, and overkill for light to moderate loads on established trails.

I still wear them for off-trail stuff, but boot tech has gotten so good that I don't think they're really necessary anymore.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Picnic Princess posted:

Anybody know the best dayhikes from the Green River in Canyonlands National Park? It's about a month away now and I trust you guys a lot for recommendations.

I've only been to Canyonlands once and didn't get to deep into the park but are you floating into the park on the Green River?

If so, I'd love to hear your plans/how you're setting it up.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I've only been to Canyonlands once and didn't get to deep into the park but are you floating into the park on the Green River?

If so, I'd love to hear your plans/how you're setting it up.

I'm doing an ecotourism and outdoor leadership degree up here in Canada, and each year the students take part in an expedition. My group is going to be canoeing and kayaking 53 miles through Canyonlands over 7 days, just camping on the river every night. We have some ideas of where we're going to land each day and where we would want to stop for some short hikes, but was hoping someone here had done one in particular that was a do-not-miss they could recommend.

I'm so super excited for this, I've never done anything like it before. I've always traveled by foot and so far maxed at 5 days in the wilderness.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm doing an ecotourism and outdoor leadership degree up here in Canada, and each year the students take part in an expedition. My group is going to be canoeing and kayaking 53 miles through Canyonlands over 7 days, just camping on the river every night. We have some ideas of where we're going to land each day and where we would want to stop for some short hikes, but was hoping someone here had done one in particular that was a do-not-miss they could recommend.

I'm so super excited for this, I've never done anything like it before. I've always traveled by foot and so far maxed at 5 days in the wilderness.

Never been canoeing before? If that's the case, get a pair of kayaking gloves - your hands will thank you.

Last year I spent 7 days canoeing down a river, and we went perhaps the same distance as you have planned - it was great :)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Just short trips done over a few hours and a certified course so far, same for kayaking. I will look into the gloves however.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

-CHA posted:

Now we just need an emergency whistle that sounds like a distressed animal .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ-zd97DlU8

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Picnic Princess posted:

Are you flying into Vegas or Salt Lake?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
50 miles in 7 days on what I'm guessing is mild class I/II water? You don't need gloves for paddling. You could probably do it in two days without too much effort.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

ReverendCode posted:

I wore leather boots for a number of years in the military. It was horrible breaking them in, but they do last forever, if you take care of them.

For backpacking, I would look for something a bit lighter, and more comfortable. Several people have mentioned that waterproofing isn't really all it is cracked up to be versus just changing your socks if they get wet. It really comes down to the terrain you are going to be dealing with. Desert vs mountains vs rainforest or what have you.

Yeah that's my philosophy on waterproofing as well. I'm more interested in leather for its durability.

stealie72 posted:

I've got a pair of old school scarpa boots like these that I used a lot when I lived out west. They are all leather and leather-lined and after a bitch of a break-in, they feel like slippers now.

But they're heavy, and overkill for light to moderate loads on established trails.

I still wear them for off-trail stuff, but boot tech has gotten so good that I don't think they're really necessary anymore.

I usually stick to established trails, but I also tend to pack fairly heavy. Right now I'm looking at something like these for boots that will still offer a lot of support without being as bulldozer-y as those Scarpas.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

We're driving down in a big van and a trailer. We're also doing it over 7 days so we can get practical experince planning landing sites with a map and acting as a guide. Ir's an actual credit course I'm doing so we have a minimum amount of hours needed to be spent too. Bit yeah, it's all stillwater, no rapids, easy going. It isn't the canoeing itself we're learning, it's the whole planning amd execution of a 10 day expedition (the other days are being spent mountain biking).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I just won a pair of Chaco Outcross shoes. Does anybody have recommendations for if I should order the laces or the straps?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Picnic Princess posted:

We're driving down in a big van and a trailer. We're also doing it over 7 days so we can get practical experince planning landing sites with a map and acting as a guide. Ir's an actual credit course I'm doing so we have a minimum amount of hours needed to be spent too. Bit yeah, it's all stillwater, no rapids, easy going. It isn't the canoeing itself we're learning, it's the whole planning amd execution of a 10 day expedition (the other days are being spent mountain biking).

What time of year are you going? Looks like you can probably get away without sleeping on the ground too FYI. Cots outside rule for multiday river trips.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

River trips are awesome, I wish I could do more poo poo like that. I did a week long trip down the main Salmon years ago and it's pretty sweet to be able to pack everything in your raft and have a sweet camp for the night

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

n8r posted:

What time of year are you going? Looks like you can probably get away without sleeping on the ground too FYI. Cots outside rule for multiday river trips.

We arrive in Moab May 1! :dance:

And we are preparing for below freezing temperatures too, even if the ground were to be completely frozen or snowy or hot, we wouldn't care, because we're :canada: and camp in those conditions all the time anyway. We're not bringing any cots., sadly.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
gently caress hiking, rent bikes and do the whole enchilada.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So MY WIFE and I are trying to put the finishing touches on our Yosemite trip in June. We are arriving at San Francisco airport on June 7th, then flying out from San Francisco on June 15th. Our permit is for 5 days, Monday the 9th to Friday June 13th. We are staying at Curry Village before we leave, so Saturday night and Sunday night. Then we are staying at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge the Friday night after the hike. It will be our first time hiking 5 days, first time hiking at such an altitude, and first time hiking with it being fairly cold.

My question is, does anyone have any advice for dealing with the public transportation from San Francisco to Yosemite, and really, more importantly, from Curry Village to our trailhead at White Wolf? I think we can hike from the Tuolumne Meadows trailhead to the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge. It looks like we could normally use YARTS to go from Curry Village to White Wolf, but that is only on the weekends during that season. There is something called "The Tuolumne Meadows Hikers Bus", but that doesn't start until the end of June.

Our thoughts are leaning more and more just renting a car, but even if we leave it at our exit point at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, we would still have to find a way back to the White Wolf trailhead to begin our hike on Monday.

I think we could leave our car at the White Wolf trailhead, and then when we arrive on Tuolumne Meadows Lodge on Friday night, the next morning take the YARTS bus (since it runs on the weekend) back to our car at White Wolf. The problem there is it seems like that bus only runs at a time putting us back at White Wolf 11:00AM... may be hard to get there then drive to San Francisco in time for a plane back.

So basically, this poo poo is complicated. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I did a thing..

pissboy
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah for Twinkies!
Has anyone camped out at Shackleford Banks? I'm looking to go in early May. I plan on putting in our kayaks at the boat launch in Beaufort, NC, paddling over to Shackleford Banks as the tide is going out, hiking around the island for the rest of the day and the next day, and paddling back as the tide is coming in. I see that there are water tours and taxis out to the island, but hopefully they aren't too busy or annoying while school is still in session. I'll have to pack in all my water, but since we're paddling out, it shouldn't be too annoying. It looks like as long as I can find a place to park for a few days, and leave a float plan with the park I should be good to go. Any recommendations for staking my tent (http://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent) in sand with windy conditions? I have some snow stakes and it was recommended that I tie my lines off to the middle of them and bury them, but since weight is not really an issue this time, I could bring something larger/heavier.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Quick California questions: is camping in national parks permitted? Is having fires in national parks permitted (in May)? Is this the best website to find free campsites, or is there a better one I've missed?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

freebooter posted:

Quick California questions: is camping in national parks permitted? Is having fires in national parks permitted (in May)? Is this the best website to find free campsites, or is there a better one I've missed?

Camping in national parks: Yes, but usually you have to stay in a campground (not normally free) or get a backcountry camping permit (usually free). The rules vary from park to park.

Campfires: In areas that aren't at risk of wildfires, yes, you can have campfires.

If you really want to camp for free, I'd suggest you do dispersed camping in a national forest. There are usually national forests around the national parks, and the rules are not nearly as strict. In most national forests you can camp for free practically anywhere in the forest.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What's the difference between a national park and a national forest? Also, how do they determine whether an area is at wildfire risk? I'm coming from Australia which is over-zealous about bushfires; in my area there's a total fire ban ($10,000 fine, one year in prison) between November and March.

Also, I should mention that I'm not going to be hiking but rather on a motorcycle. A dual sport, so I'll be able to go along rough trails etc. to places where I wouldn't be able to in a car - but is that legal? I'm assuming not, in a national park, but I don't know about a national forest or state forest or whatever. It would be a road-licensed vehicle if that makes a difference.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

National Parks are under the control of the National Parks Service, part of the Department of the Interior, and are more about conservation of a specific area that is designated by the park and handling tourist traffic to the area, etc (you'll often see big visitor centers and lodges, stores, etc at popular national parks like Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc)

e: national parks also include areas like the national mall, which obviously isn't a wilderness area

National Forests are under the control of the US Forest Service, part of the Department of Agriculture, and is more about resource management of the forests...balancing recreation and use of the forest resources (logging, grazing land, etc). Most of the time (all of the time?) you won't find big tourist build up locations like in National Parks, usually just a campground and Ranger station if you're lucky

Pretty general but that's the basics I guess.

Fires I"m not exactly sure but I assume it depends on the area (there's a wide variety of climates in the US and its forest/park areas, some are much more dry than others), the recent rainfall, and overall precipitation status of the area (like California is way below normal for its winter snow pack this year which means it will likely be a more dry than usual year as streams dry up faster in the summer, etc). Also fires about 10,000 feet tend to be disallowed, though I suspect that's more about being able to find adequate fuel and not wanting people to pack wood around from lower elevations. In general most parks/forests don't want you cutting down wood, breaking branches off, and creating new fire rings either.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 7, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Internet Explorer posted:

So MY WIFE and I are trying to put the finishing touches on our Yosemite trip in June. We are arriving at San Francisco airport on June 7th, then flying out from San Francisco on June 15th. Our permit is for 5 days, Monday the 9th to Friday June 13th. We are staying at Curry Village before we leave, so Saturday night and Sunday night. Then we are staying at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge the Friday night after the hike. It will be our first time hiking 5 days, first time hiking at such an altitude, and first time hiking with it being fairly cold.

My question is, does anyone have any advice for dealing with the public transportation from San Francisco to Yosemite, and really, more importantly, from Curry Village to our trailhead at White Wolf? I think we can hike from the Tuolumne Meadows trailhead to the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge. It looks like we could normally use YARTS to go from Curry Village to White Wolf, but that is only on the weekends during that season. There is something called "The Tuolumne Meadows Hikers Bus", but that doesn't start until the end of June.

Our thoughts are leaning more and more just renting a car, but even if we leave it at our exit point at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, we would still have to find a way back to the White Wolf trailhead to begin our hike on Monday.

I think we could leave our car at the White Wolf trailhead, and then when we arrive on Tuolumne Meadows Lodge on Friday night, the next morning take the YARTS bus (since it runs on the weekend) back to our car at White Wolf. The problem there is it seems like that bus only runs at a time putting us back at White Wolf 11:00AM... may be hard to get there then drive to San Francisco in time for a plane back.

So basically, this poo poo is complicated. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.
What time is your flight out of SFO? It's only about 4 hours from White Wolf I think. Renting a car and leaving it at WW would probably be easiest.

Hitchhiking is also a popular mode of transportation on highway 120, especially if you're leaving from a highly visited place (such as Tuolumne) and heading toward the valley.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

I did a thing..

Where is this?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

HFX posted:

Where is this?

Emerald lake in Rocky Mountain National Park - it was our first attempt at snowshoeing. We had a blast and are planning on making more trips.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I'm finally taking my first trip to Zion and i'm excited to check it out.

I'm definitely hiking Angel's landing but i'm on the fence about heading up the narrows. Friends of mine have warned me that hiking through cold water isn't going to be fun and I'm probably better off skipping it. I was planning on renting water proof pants/boots/socks but I'd love to hear your opinion on whether hiking the narrows is going to be worth it even with the proper equipment.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

freebooter posted:

What's the difference between a national park and a national forest? Also, how do they determine whether an area is at wildfire risk? I'm coming from Australia which is over-zealous about bushfires; in my area there's a total fire ban ($10,000 fine, one year in prison) between November and March.

Also, I should mention that I'm not going to be hiking but rather on a motorcycle. A dual sport, so I'll be able to go along rough trails etc. to places where I wouldn't be able to in a car - but is that legal? I'm assuming not, in a national park, but I don't know about a national forest or state forest or whatever. It would be a road-licensed vehicle if that makes a difference.

I think the wildfire rules/risks are determined locally at each park. You'll just have to wait until you get to places and see. Generally if the vegetation looks pretty green it's ok to have a campfire, whereas if if looks dry (which is much of California), fires are banned. California has horrible wildfires almost every year.

Your motorcycle is most likely allowed down any road that actually looks like a road. I would not take it down any singletrack unless it's explicitly allowed in the area.

If you know about the specific parks/areas you want to go to, look them up online. They should each have their own website, with their own rules listed. The rangers are usually pretty helpful via phone or email, or you can just ask questions when you arrive. Rangers are paid nearly nothing, so all of them are people who are doing it out of love of nature.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Knucklebear posted:

I'm finally taking my first trip to Zion and i'm excited to check it out.

I'm definitely hiking Angel's landing but i'm on the fence about heading up the narrows. Friends of mine have warned me that hiking through cold water isn't going to be fun and I'm probably better off skipping it. I was planning on renting water proof pants/boots/socks but I'd love to hear your opinion on whether hiking the narrows is going to be worth it even with the proper equipment.

The narrows is one of my most memorable hikes, but it was in July so ymmv. I would not go to Zion without at least hiking some of the narrows - google images will explain why.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The narrows will likely be too deep this time of year, they were when I went in May a few years ago. Use Joe's guide to Zion for other hikes, it's the best website I've seen for a national park.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BeefofAges posted:

I think the wildfire rules/risks are determined locally at each park. You'll just have to wait until you get to places and see. Generally if the vegetation looks pretty green it's ok to have a campfire, whereas if if looks dry (which is much of California), fires are banned. California has horrible wildfires almost every year.

Your motorcycle is most likely allowed down any road that actually looks like a road. I would not take it down any singletrack unless it's explicitly allowed in the area.

If you know about the specific parks/areas you want to go to, look them up online. They should each have their own website, with their own rules listed. The rangers are usually pretty helpful via phone or email, or you can just ask questions when you arrive. Rangers are paid nearly nothing, so all of them are people who are doing it out of love of nature.

Cool, thanks. It's a pretty flexible trip (part of the appeal is just the exploration of it) but at this stage I definitely know that I want to go to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Lake Mono, Kings Canyon and the White Mountains. Yosemite in particular looks like the kind of place that would have a lot of rules (with good reason, of course.) I've been checking their website and it looks like it's not even feasible to expect to camp anywhere in the park (at least, anywhere decent) without a booking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

freebooter posted:

Cool, thanks. It's a pretty flexible trip (part of the appeal is just the exploration of it) but at this stage I definitely know that I want to go to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Lake Mono, Kings Canyon and the White Mountains. Yosemite in particular looks like the kind of place that would have a lot of rules (with good reason, of course.) I've been checking their website and it looks like it's not even feasible to expect to camp anywhere in the park (at least, anywhere decent) without a booking.

Kind of depends on what time of year you're going, early in the year it's probably not so bad. There are first come first serve campgrounds, you just need to stop by right after checkout to snag an empty spot. Backcountry camping permits also aren't necessarily that hard to get depending on where you start hiking from, and are available via walkup the day before your anticipated "start date".