Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually think this is a good point. Lucy Lawless basically means that Ron's family can't be shown, which is a big problem when him having a family is the central part of his character arc now.

Given Ron's obsession with privacy ("My name is Ron, you don't need to know my last name."), it makes perfect sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Pope Guilty posted:

Given Ron's obsession with privacy ("My name is Ron, you don't need to know my last name."), it makes perfect sense to me.

And his son, John [REDACTED] Swanson.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Well, given the main thrust of him having a family seems to be the fact that he needs to finally learn to act less like a crazy libertarian survivalist and more like an actual functioning human being and member of society, I would have thought this was something that would have changed if they had had his wife be an actress they could afford to hire more often.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

They should bring back Brandanowicz and make him the new Larry.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm kind of okay with not having Lucy Lawless around a bunch because we don't need "RON HAS A FAMILY LOOK AT RON AND HIS FAMILY" storylines every episode and she's been established as an independent character, so it wouldn't make sense to have her just hanging around the office like they've done with both Andy and Ben at various points in their employment arcs. It's nice having characters who aren't Pawnee city employees that pop up every now and then but aren't just the six angry villagers who get all the speaking lines at city meetings. It gives the characters lives outside the office (which, incidentally, was one of the weird things about later seasons of The Office).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
But she's soooo pretty.

Also I know it's been said, but casting the Warrior Princess as Ron's wife is just inspired.

But yeah, I don't need her around constantly either, I'd just like to see her once in a while.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

EvilTaytoMan posted:

They should bring back Brandanowicz and make him the new Larry.

Catching a few s1 eps on netflix recently only reaffirmed my belief that Mark was the best.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Unmature posted:

But she's soooo pretty.

Also I know it's been said, but casting the Warrior Princess as Ron's wife is just inspired.

But yeah, I don't need her around constantly either, I'd just like to see her once in a while.

If you haven't done so already, you should really go watch Spartacus.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Unmature posted:

But she's soooo pretty.

Xena started airing in 1995. That's nineteen years ago. If Xena had a baby in the second season it could vote now. Not relevant to the thread; just wanted to share. Also she turns 46 in four days.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

If you haven't done so already, you should really go watch Spartacus.

I've seen certain select scenes of Spartacus.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unmature posted:

I've seen certain select scenes of Spartacus.

Not good enough. Take a weekend and plow through the entire series. It's entirely worth it.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Be warned that the first four episodes or so of the first series of Spartacus aren't that great, takes a little while before it ratchets up to awesome level.

But hey, this is the Parks and Recreation thead, look who I'm talking to.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dave Angel posted:

Be warned that the first four episodes or so of the first series of Spartacus aren't that great, takes a little while before it ratchets up to awesome level.

True. Although for "aren't that great", substitute "are nigh-unwatchable crap". It's amazing how quickly and dramatically the series turns around.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Some episodes of P&R have made me bawl like a baby (wedding episode) and some have made me laugh till I almost puke, but here lately, while it's still better than a lot of TV, I agree that it feels like it's spinning its wheels. It also seems to suffer from Supernatural's problem, which is hinting at some really neat potential new plot lines and instead reverting to the same tired tropes. They need to really shake it up and pick a direction; like how Leslie really should have some powerful rich allies in Eagleton for saving them, or maybe make Jamm Leslie's replacement Ann since he thinks they're BFFs anyway.

EDIT: Or another election plot line working only because Leslie has some big financial backers and realizes she's the Bobby Newport in the scenario.

The Red Queen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 26, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

The Red Queen posted:

EDIT: Or another election plot line working only because Leslie has some big financial backers and realizes she's the Bobby Newport in the scenario.

Bobby Newport was the "villain" he was, not because he was rich but because he was ignorant, didn't really want the job, and the money gave him a big upper hand. Leslie with money would still just be Leslie, except with you know... money.

Also, I miss Jamm and seeing him a few episodes back was great.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jamm should get married to Mona-Lisa. We need another wedding to keep the show fresh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe Tom can marry Craig? Or Champion. A Champion wedding will save this show.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In the season finale, it will be revealed that, due to a technicality in the Pawnee legal code, the town merger mandates that every unmarried Pawnee citizen must marry an Eagletonian within twenty-four hours.

Alternative storyline: "Engage with Zorp" was a whole lot more literal than anybody realized.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I was really hoping we'd have multi-episode episode arc of Ron renovating City Hall's Floor 3.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Maybe I'm just a boring, lovely person but I would legit watch that.

gently caress it just give me Hotel Impossible or something similar but with Nick/Ron instead of the guy they have now.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Andrew_1985 posted:

I was really hoping we'd have multi-episode episode arc of Ron renovating City Hall's Floor 3.

There's still a chance at it! I was hoping for the exact same thing.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Chairman Capone posted:

The whole Larry hate thing didn't really come full swing until season 3, I feel like. Season 1 he was just a background character, and season 2, while it started the Larry-joking (with the murinal episode, I think?) there were also things like Ron being glad with him being on the hunting trip, or him actually contributing to the telethon, neither of which would be allowed to happen now.
In previous seasons, the joke wasn't that they went out of their way to be mean to Larry, but rather the piling on of Larry was due to a combination of a) Larry's genuine incompetence at work and b) nobody in the office knowing him that well. Larry's truest life is at home - his gorgeous wife, his loving children, his enormous penis, his painting, his music, etc. The result of his awesome home life is that he doesn't really have work friends - thus his coworkers don't know him (like the joke about his adoptive mom smoking pot, when Larry didn't know he was adopted), or misunderstand him, or miscommunicate with him, or simply prefer the ideas of their friends over his own. Larry's nobody's friend at work so he's the last person his coworkers think of. Therefore his punching-bag status is more of a social accident than cruel intent.

And it WAS tempered by his kindness, and by occasional expressions of kindness towards him - my fave was when April hid Chris's keys to punish him for mauling Jerry's daughter at the Halloween party.

So the insults to Gerry/Larry in previous seasons were pretty casual and throwaway. Honestly, when Ben stood up for Larry at the end of last week's episode, I was kind of expecting everyone to be surprised. "What's this about Larry? We don't make fun of Larry!" The joke would work more if it was the kind of thing where it's so habitual the Parks and Rec people don't even know they're doing it anymore. That would have been funnier than their, "What are you doing? BEFRIENDING LARRY IS SUICIDE! A POX UPON LARRY!" reaction. That makes the hatred intentional. Which really makes no sense.

EDIT: to respond to the person who disliked the use of babies for ratings on TV shows and how annoying it is - let's be fair. Parks and Rec had TWO babies this season and on both occasions sidestepped having a "Very Special Episode" in favour of just showing up with an infant and going, "'S'up. I have a child."

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've just binge watched the entire show over the past 5 months or so and overall it's been great. I can see it losing its steam but the worst aspect of the show is that annoying, shouting human being. (his sexuality has nothing to do with it)
ANNOYING SHOUTING human being
What the hell were they thinking casting this guy? He just doesn't fit with the show and its very jarring.

Swanson in Scotland could have been a great finale. That was done well and the poem was beautiful.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did you know human being used to mean 'a bundle of sticks'? True story!

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Did you know human being used to mean 'a bundle of sticks'? True story!

I would prefer to watch him have Jamm's cock in his mouth the entire time than to see one more of his grating tirades.
There's jumping the shark and then there's beating the viewers to death with a bundle of sticks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So the show got one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TtfMLGnok

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Unfortunately neither he nor the guy below joined the parks department. We got the guy from the 'leave britney alone turned up to 11, 24/7' video.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
yeah but it's definitely not about his sexuality or anything. Can you stop posting now?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I still find it hilarous that people are acting like he is acting. The actor is just being himself.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Poque posted:

yeah but it's definitely not about his sexuality or anything. Can you stop posting now?

It's not. The guy in the pic is an awesome gay dude who played an awesome over the top character in parks n rec.
Craig is loving terrible.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Craig is a great character. I just rewatched through most of the 6th season, and he's not even that loud. I think they may have turned up the volume recently but he really is just that passionate. Also, what's the difference between Craig and Chris? A part of their humor is derived from how they speak. The issue is that Craig has not been fleshed out. He's just there and I think it's a disservice to him. I really would like an episode to be shown where his passion for the Parks department is actually pretty close to Leslie, he just doesn't want to step on her toes based on how she's acted in the past.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I still find it hilarous that people are acting like he is acting. The actor is just being himself.
Whelp! I didn't bring it up this time, but all the same:

This point is relevant to the tune of zero. It's a non-argument.

If he had any semblance of a character beyond shouty gay stereotype, it'd be a lot less of a problem, but his whole character consists of "gay stereotype."

If the actor also lives the gay stereotype (which you couldn't possibly know), then picking him to be on television and not giving him any motivation beyond showing up to be a loud, overbearing stereotype is the problem.

Still a problem.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

bobkatt013 posted:

You don't really think that those videos he does on Youtube are "himself", right? I mean, he's acting, it's a character, it's a bit.

And even if it wasn't, you're acting, do something else once in a while.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It doesn't matter if he's acting or playing himself. Either way it's annoying as gently caress.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I thought he was fine when talking to Andy about where to go see bands and in a few other scenes. In that scene he seemed kinda agitated but wasn't YELLING FOR NO REASON.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I thought Craig was funny when he was obsessing how much the queen of the first graders liked his nephew. I don't think he's very funny when he's shouting about what type of dog he is. It turns out that the humour of characters is dependent on the material the writers provide for them!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think Retta is slowly draining the power from the other actors using black magic*. Donna keeps getting funnier even as the show begins to wane.

*not racist

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Timett posted:

I thought he was fine when talking to Andy about where to go see bands and in a few other scenes. In that scene he seemed kinda agitated but wasn't YELLING FOR NO REASON.

Yeah, he's fine when he's interacting with the rest of the cast normally. It's just when he SUDDENLY STARTS SCREAMING THAT EVERYTHING GOES TO poo poo.

I wish we had Tynnyfer instead.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zoot Suit Wyatt

also Alison as mini-Leslie is so awesome :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yaaaay prom!

Zoot Suit Wyatt is great.

• Locked thread