Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

The ESP in my Audi can be pretty annoying in low traction situations like snow. Mainly because it's decision to fire a brake on one side or reduce the throttle is acting counter to the counter measures I'm already instinctively taking to control things.

I blame the misunderstanding to years of driving FWD, AWD, and RWD cars with no electronic assistance at all. I have a bag of tricks I do to drive each type through slippery stuff but it's expecting me to just sit back and let it work.

I can't not do these tricks at this point because it's instinct so me and ESP fight until I remember to turn it off.

That's what is going to be so awesome on the new R. You can fully 100% disable the nanny system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

April 9/10 here. I'll give a trip report

I'm really interested, as I'll probably be going in the fall sometime, if possible.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Laranzu posted:

April 9/10 here. I'll give a trip report

Quite interested in this. Let us know.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have to put the front plate mount on my car - just going with the OE one. Stupid pop rivets. Anyone installed their own?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why not do something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_9gq1l9wglr_b

Heh, this led me to laser jammers which then led me to figuring out if it's legal here. Nope not legal in CO.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 2, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think they look stupid and I really don't care about having to have the front plate on.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Why not do something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_9gq1l9wglr_b

Heh, this led me to laser jammers which then led me to figuring out if it's legal here. Nope not legal in CO.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to break the law while you are... breaking the law.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's the tow mount ones if you have one of those in the front bumper. I'd probably go that route just to prevent drilling holes in mine. (Course I think it looks worse than the normal center mounting)

japtor fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 2, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Swung by the dealer since the rivet size wasn't one I could drive. It cost like twenty bucks to get it installed. Not terrible. It looks fine, too. I hate how shady the tow hook mounts look.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Atmus posted:

Yeah, you wouldn't want to break the law while you are... breaking the law.

No no. I'm talking about the hidden plate mounts. I don't run a front plate, but at times it is needed. Like parking downtown where all the metermaids will ticket you for not having one. I don't park downtown so it's not an issue for me.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

So yeah, don't buy a Hyundai guys... or maybe I just got stuck with a Lemon.

Which Dealership are you working with, Winnipeg, Murray, Focus or Birchwood?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

Which Dealership are you working with, Winnipeg, Murray, Focus or Birchwood?

I'm dealing with Murray, they ended up giving the best price and 0% financing and my initial impression was that their customer service was good, Birchwood was close to get our business but their financing department fell through, they insisted Hyundai didn't offer 0% financing and tried giving us 7.9% on a base dct Veloster, so it would have ended up costing us $27.7k or so, a few thousand more and we got the fully loaded turbo with all the goodies. Winnipeg and Focus we contacted but didn't actually physically go to them.

Murray is mostly polite, but when it comes to addressing issues in a timely manner you really have to press them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was gonna write this when you first picked up your car, but didn't want to prejudice you in case your car turned out to be fine...

In the course of a year I went from "hell yes Hyundai is gonna cave in the Civic's rear end in a top hat" to "coulda bought like two used Civics for what he spent on this thing." It's not even my car.

Yeah, I'm really soured on Hyundai right now, I kept hearing positive things about them in recent years, so I thought they were turning into a 90's Honda with good underrated cars that are trying to prove themselves. My family's been Honda fanatics for over 20 years and I'm hearing no end that I could've gotten an SI for about the same as the Veloster turbo.

I've kinda had the same arc of Hell yeah to gently caress :suicide: with this drat thing. On the plus side Hyundai decided the tire is being covered so now I just have to wait until it comes in, no local stock.

For now the plan is try to enjoy new car ownership as much as possible and live in a state of quasi-denial of the quality of the car. I'll keep bringing it in for all the issues we've had and any new ones that pop up (hopefully ours isn't as bad as your friends), I just hope it doesn't end up with us having to go through the arbitration as it seems like a soul sucking long drawn out process, with the addition of sounding like it's a craps shot anyway with no guarantee.

Should have stuck to Subaru or Honda but I was drawn by the siren of cheap turbo hot hatch.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
More A45 photos!

I had some Gtechniq products applied, and a full Xpel Ultimate kit installed. This is the whitest white car I've ever seen... it hurts to look at it in bright sunlight.

It's so much fun to drive. I find myself going the long way and unnecessarily entering underground or multi-level car parks. The sound - particularly upshifts and the snaps and crackles on the overrun - seems to upset a few pedestrians, but it also does get plenty of thumbs up. Willall Racing do a "phase 1" tuning package for $2500, taking it to 305kw and 560nm (409hp/413 foot pounds), with free upgrades to phase 2 and 3 as they are released. It's tempting as gently caress but I'm scared to spend any more money :(

Edit for interior:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
So mad that we don't get that in the US. That may be my most favorite new hot-hatch yet.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Terrible Robot posted:

So mad that we don't get that in the US. That may be my most favorite new hot-hatch yet.

Yeah, I don't understand that. I'm almost certain they come in both left and right hand drive variants. I know you get the CLA, I'm kinda puzzled as to why you don't get the A, particularly the A45. You're missing out :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Finch! posted:

More A45 photos!

I had some Gtechniq products applied, and a full Xpel Ultimate kit installed. This is the whitest white car I've ever seen... it hurts to look at it in bright sunlight.

It's so much fun to drive. I find myself going the long way and unnecessarily entering underground or multi-level car parks. The sound - particularly upshifts and the snaps and crackles on the overrun - seems to upset a few pedestrians, but it also does get plenty of thumbs up. Willall Racing do a "phase 1" tuning package for $2500, taking it to 305kw and 560nm (409hp/413 foot pounds), with free upgrades to phase 2 and 3 as they are released. It's tempting as gently caress but I'm scared to spend any more money :(

Edit for interior:

Rub it in a bit more you jerk.

Just kidding dude, that's hot as gently caress.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I don't really get Merc's design decision to stick a little tablet to the dash like that. Reminds me of those aftermarket phone holders that clip on to the air vents. Literally everything else about that car is incredible though so whatever.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Rhyno posted:

Rub it in a bit more you jerk.

Just kidding dude, that's hot as gently caress.

I'm loving the colour combination. I thought white on black wheels was played out a few years ago. Never thought I'd end up with it, but I kind of like it. My other car is blue (VW R36 - belongs in the 'hot wagon' thread!) and it's forever filthy, particularly the wheels with brake dust. This looks cleaner - I like it.

Galler posted:

I don't really get Merc's design decision to stick a little tablet to the dash like that. Reminds me of those aftermarket phone holders that clip on to the air vents. Literally everything else about that car is incredible though so whatever.

I'm with you on that. It's weird. It does work though - it's easy to see and take in the information on it, particularly in navigation mode. Controlling it is taking some getting used to, particularly as it is not a touch screen and you have to do everything by either voice commands (which work surprisingly well) or a kind of annoying dial and some buttons. I guess I'm still figuring it out.

Sumptious
Dec 19, 2013

Finch! posted:

More A45 photos!

Edit for interior:

What a beautiful example of an A45. How much $AU did it end up setting you back so far? I think the A45 looks much more expensive than it is. Can't wait till I see one in the flesh.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

veedubfreak posted:

Do laser jammers work and/or are they worth it? My previous vehicle was a Ford Windstar and my Speed3 has attracted more...attention than I'd like so far.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Sumptious posted:

What a beautiful example of an A45. How much $AU did it end up setting you back so far? I think the A45 looks much more expensive than it is. Can't wait till I see one in the flesh.

Hey, thanks. I haven't really had time to make it filthy yet - it only has 500km on it. I need to be less busy so I can drive it more. I'm heading overseas for three weeks soon, so it won't get used much for a while. There aren't too many around - I've only seen one other on the road in Adelaide and three others at the dealer when I picked it up. I did see one in Bangkok last year, but that's it.

It's cost me way too much money for a small car. It was $82500-ish on the road, minus $12000 for a 2006 Golf GTI trade in - so around $70000 out of pocket. The paint protection and film was $3000, Euro style plates are $150 a year, and NRMA comprehensive plus insurance with a $250 excess is $1300-ish per year. But hey, it's fun and I've had a good year so I can kind of justify it.

I have no idea what servicing costs will be like, but I'm really not looking forward to buying new tyres - they're 235/35/R19 :ohdear:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 3, 2014

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
That car is just stunning. Worth every $$$.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really like that interior on the A45 but Jesus Christ, that's well out of hot hatch territory.

For a price benchmark so us 'murcans can get an idea of what it runs, what would a ST or a GTI Performance Pack run you?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That is drat nice and I'm jealous as hell.

I'm also interested in a price reference on a ST/GTI. This thread has reinforced how relatively cheap things seem to be where I live.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really like that interior on the A45 but Jesus Christ, that's well out of hot hatch territory.

For a price benchmark so us 'murcans can get an idea of what it runs, what would a ST or a GTI Performance Pack run you?

Seriously. Considering a CLA45 AMG is over $48,000 (US) with absolutely no options, you would figure an A45 AMG would be minimum $40,000. That makes it a really hard sell considering the countless new and slightly used performance cars you can buy for that money.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Very nice A45 - just curious, how much would a similarly optioned M3 or C63 AMG set you back where you are?

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Voltage posted:

Very nice A45 - just curious, how much would a similarly optioned M3 or C63 AMG set you back where you are?

I checked it out, due to morbid curiosity.

The MSRP (so no delivery or taxes) of a C63 AMG Coupe in Australia is $135,108 (in comparison, the MSRP in the US is $62,750.

A BMW M235i has an MSRP of $75,381 in Australia, while it costs $46,025 in the US.

A base VW Golf GTI has a driveaway price of $46,610 in AUS, while a GTI Wolfsberg edition costs $25,095 in the US.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Finch! posted:

More A45 photos!

This thing is gorgeous. The exterior looks amazing, and those seast, drat they look good. Also not a huge fan of the nav setup but eh, I've seen lots of euro cars with that kind of mounting so I guess it's the style now.

And yeah, $2500 for a 40-50hp bump with the the phase 1 and free upgrades to phase 2 & 3(what exactly does that all entail?) seems like a hell of a deal. At this point your too far down the rabbit hole to look back, it's a relatively small expense compared to the purchase price of the car, and why not make it more looney toons crazy fast.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sole Survivor posted:

I checked it out, due to morbid curiosity.

The MSRP (so no delivery or taxes) of a C63 AMG Coupe in Australia is $135,108 (in comparison, the MSRP in the US is $62,750.

A BMW M235i has an MSRP of $75,381 in Australia, while it costs $46,025 in the US.

A base VW Golf GTI has a driveaway price of $46,610 in AUS, while a GTI Wolfsberg edition costs $25,095 in the US.

So in the US, back of envelope, the A45 would cost about 48K.

That's not horrible, but I'd be hard pressed to not buy the M235i.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At drive away prices (basically inclusive of all costs incurred to buy it without finance and with all taxes and charges included - drive it home from the dealer and keep driving it prices) a Focus ST is $42,425, and a Golf GTI with DSG (the way I'd buy it) is $49,393. I'm not sure if that includes the performance pack - factor in another $2500 if it doesn't.

Sole Survivor posted:

Seriously. Considering a CLA45 AMG is over $48,000 (US) with absolutely no options, you would figure an A45 AMG would be minimum $40,000. That makes it a really hard sell considering the countless new and slightly used performance cars you can buy for that money.

A CLA45 is $95,142 drive away here. Ridiculous. :(

We do tend to get cars with a very high level of base options here, though. There are only three options for the A45: black wheels, performance suspension, and the aero kit. Every other possible option is included.

Voltage posted:

A 2014 C63 sedan is $157,277, and the Edition 507 is $182,693. An M3 coupe, with the dual clutch transmission, is $176,090.

Here are some other fun prices!

Porsche 991 911. Base model coupe, manual gearbox, no options: $224,863.
Ferrari F12: $740,408.
Rolls Royce Phantam II: $862,948.
Rolls Royce Phantom II Drophead: $1,085,311 (yes, that's over a million bucks for a convertible - and people actually buy 'em).
Nissan GT-R: $183,042.
Subaru WRX Premium, manual: $48,358.
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: $54,003.

The median house price in my state is something like $450,000.

:sigh:

Bajaha posted:

This thing is gorgeous. The exterior looks amazing, and those seast, drat they look good. Also not a huge fan of the nav setup but eh, I've seen lots of euro cars with that kind of mounting so I guess it's the style now.

And yeah, $2500 for a 40-50hp bump with the the phase 1 and free upgrades to phase 2 & 3(what exactly does that all entail?) seems like a hell of a deal. At this point your too far down the rabbit hole to look back, it's a relatively small expense compared to the purchase price of the car, and why not make it more looney toons crazy fast.

I'll look into it more seriously when I either get bored with - or at least used to - the current performance. Technically it's still being run in. I've never chipped a car under warranty before and given the brief history of A45 gearbox issues I'm a little reluctant to. We'll see :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So in the US, back of envelope, the A45 would cost about 48K.

That's not horrible, but I'd be hard pressed to not buy the M235i.

I don't think we have confirmed M235i pricing here yet, but I expect it to be around $90,000. Would be a tough decision between the two. Given that even thinking about being a bit tail happy through corners here is a one way ticket to fines and your car being impounded, the all wheel drive of the AMG makes it a more useful car and much faster point-to-point. The M235i isn't a real M car and the AMG is a real AMG - but the BMW's engine is gorgeous, the interior isn't as lairy, and it's a sexy, sexy coupe shape. Flip a coin, I guess!

Finch! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 4, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Finch! posted:

Yeah, I don't understand that. I'm almost certain they come in both left and right hand drive variants. I know you get the CLA, I'm kinda puzzled as to why you don't get the A, particularly the A45. You're missing out :(

Mercedes (probably correctly) believes there is no market for a $50K hatchback in America. Like you said, we still get the CLA, which I think looks better. Not saying the A looks bad. It is a very nice looking car, but the CLA is gorgeous.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There wasn't a market for a 27K premium hatchback in NA, so 50K is probably a stretch (C30, A3).

I saw a new CLA the other day in person and was very disappointed. Part of the MB appeal is how god drat German the designs are - the CLA looked like an upscale Hyundai concept to me.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

A friend of mine came to visit from NC and he let me drive his tuned FoST today. Goddamn that's a fun car to drive, so much torque. Only downside was he has some cheap all-seasons on it since it can get too cold (and snow a little) in NC for summers but still gets over 60 regularly. The major upside to that was he didn't care about them so I got to do all the burnouts I wanted. I did hate how the pedals were set up making heel-toe shifting almost impossible.

drat, now I have to find a dealer with a FiST I can test drive.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There wasn't a market for a 27K premium hatchback in NA, so 50K is probably a stretch (C30, A3).

I saw a new CLA the other day in person and was very disappointed. Part of the MB appeal is how god drat German the designs are - the CLA looked like an upscale Hyundai concept to me.

Chiseled front, melty asses. I'd much prefer all chiseled or even all melty.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
GarageLine has a bracket plate for FoSTs that can not only move the accel pedal up for better heel-toe, but you can also move it to the left for it to be closer to the brake. Pity it's about 125, but so far it's the only part out there unless you go your own route of using shims.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ringo Star Get posted:

GarageLine has a bracket plate for FoSTs that can not only move the accel pedal up for better heel-toe, but you can also move it to the left for it to be closer to the brake. Pity it's about 125, but so far it's the only part out there unless you go your own route of using shims.

I don't know if it's that I'm too tall (I'm not, only 5'10) but my main problem isn't that the accelerator is too far away, it's that the brake is too close to me. I could probably fix the overall phenomenon with steering and seat adjustments but then I'd be further away from the shifter as well.

Either way the distance between the two pedals is still pretty laughable. I don't even really need to heel-toe ever and it's still irritating, especially after 7 years of basically just moving my foot laterally in my old car to get from one to the other.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Any of you Euro chaps pick up the new R yet? Curious as to what size spare it comes with. Need to decide my tire/wheel situation when I go to buy one. I know my current snows won't fit, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just using the stock 18s it comes with and getting it with all seasons and putting some sticky summer rubber on my current 19s, or upgrading to the 19s with summers and just buy winter 19s for my current wheels.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Stew Man Chew posted:

I don't know if it's that I'm too tall (I'm not, only 5'10) but my main problem isn't that the accelerator is too far away, it's that the brake is too close to me. I could probably fix the overall phenomenon with steering and seat adjustments but then I'd be further away from the shifter as well.

Either way the distance between the two pedals is still pretty laughable. I don't even really need to heel-toe ever and it's still irritating, especially after 7 years of basically just moving my foot laterally in my old car to get from one to the other.

My friend mentioned the bracket while I was driving his car. Moving the gas pedal closer would make it really awkward. Being able to move the brake down about an inch would be much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I bought an Abarth today. Wasn't really planing on it, but I've been driving more than riding the bike lately and my old backup beater I've been using since I sold my old 240 failed on me yesterday and I'm tired of throwing money at and busting knuckes on a high mileage piece of poo poo that's boring to drive anyhow. It's not a lot of money, but I don't like spending money I don't have to. I dunno, hopefully I won't regret it.