Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Could one of you make an avatar-sized looping gif from this video of Liu Bei beating his son against the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it just me or is it impossible to draw out Pang De in Tong Gate? I know you can complete the battle just fine anyway but I would like to see what happens at least once.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Selane posted:

Well, actually I did, I just kind of forgot. While some characters got redesigned for the better in 6 and they stuck with it since(Liu Bei, Sun Quan, Jiang Wei, etc), most are awful looking outliers. I mean, look at Guan Yu's hair...or Pang Tong or Xiahou Yuan in general.
Giant moth Pang Tong is the best Pang Tong :colbert:

Also Meng Huo's crazy-rear end DW6:E moveset was the most amazing thing.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it just me or is it impossible to draw out Pang De in Tong Gate? I know you can complete the battle just fine anyway but I would like to see what happens at least once.

It's reaaaallly tricky and I haven't been able to do it in Chaos mode. Basically you need to kill ~300 mooks in that area where they spawn near where the event is triggered, the base just south of that, and the area south of there before Peng De decides to gently caress over your plans. Wang Yi's EX1 works okay for this if you have her strong enough but the most luck I had was spamming Zhang Liao's first musou. The first area doesn't have enough dudes to trigger the event but by the time you have them reasonably thinned out then the base to the south should be pretty thick with guys, just run over there quickly and go to town.

Unfortunately the event doesn't change the battle much, especially compared to the previous games.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Selane posted:

Man, I thought some people were exaggerating how bad some of the character redesigns were in 6 until I watched this video.

I...I didn't know :negative:

Well, actually I did, I just kind of forgot. While some characters got redesigned for the better in 6 and they stuck with it since(Liu Bei, Sun Quan, Jiang Wei, etc), most are awful looking outliers. I mean, look at Guan Yu's hair...or Pang Tong or Xiahou Yuan in general.

edit: Jesus Christ, that Meng Huo design in 6 :stare:

Do we need to haul out the Kessen 2 designs again to remind you of the true terrors?

Also It should be noted that that video uses the Japanese numbering for the games, so the horror is number 5 not number six.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Lu Bu's new story mode might have ruined the rest of the story modes for me. I just played through it on normal and by the end of the hypothetical path I was swimming in four star weapons.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ChaosReaper posted:

Lu Bu's new story mode might have ruined the rest of the story modes for me. I just played through it on normal and by the end of the hypothetical path I was swimming in four star weapons.

Yeah it was great headstart, mainly because my old DW8 save was nuked with my old PS3.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Once again, history is more batshit than Dynasty Warriors:

quote:

Q: CAN YOU MABE TELL US SOME TRIVIA ABOUT SUN QUAN OR MAYBE EVEN A BIT ABOUT HIS LIFE?

A: Sun Quan lived for a very long time (71 years) so a bit about his life would be more than “a bit”. We’ll give you one of our favorite “Sun Quan” moments, though.

Zhang Zhao was Sun Quan’s most trusted adviser, but the two often argued. At one point, the two had a serious disagreement and Zhang Zhao angrily stormed out of the court and went home. He refused to come out and speak to anyone until Sun Quan overturned a poor decison he had made.

Sun Quan went to Zhang Zhao’s house to apologize, but Zhang Zhao would not go out to meet with him. Instead he barricaded the door so that Sun Quan couldn’t force his way in.

Quan responded to this in a very reasonable and sane fashion: he set the gate of Zhang Zhao’s house on fire.

He set part of the man’s house on fire so that he could force Zhang Zhao to come outside so that he could apologize to him.

But Zhang Zhao had known Sun Quan since he was a child and decided to prove that he was the most stubborn man in all of China. He completely ignored the flaming gate and wouldn’t go outside.

After a while, Quan realized that this totally rational plan wasn’t going to work and he had servants douse the flames. He then stayed outside of Zhang Zhao’s house for several hours, just waiting.Eventually, Zhang Zhao did come out of his home and the two apologized to each other and became friends again.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wu: Solutions Through Fire Attacks

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
And here I was thinking that poo poo like this only happened in the 2010 live-action series when Zhang Fei's response to glimpsing Zhuge Liang sleeping -- with Liu Bei waiting on him outside -- was to burn the cottage.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

So. I found an amazingly surreal way to play this on PS4. Mute the TV.

The only thing you hear is the actual disucssions between characters, no background, people yelling, or anything. It's eerie.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jibo posted:

Well hey, it kind of worked for Zhang Fei and Zhuge Liang...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
That was presumably Sun Quan sober. As it turns out, apparently there's a historical counterpart for the time in the novel that Sun Quan wasn't able to prevent Liu Bei's escape from Wu (with Sun Shangxiang) because he was passed out from drinking... except instead of him being unable to hold his liquor, it was what he'd do while drunk:

quote:

The King was drinking with his body of officials; he rose up and went around to toast everyone. Yu Fan lay prostrate on the ground and feigned as if he could not contain any more wine. When the King left him, Yu Fan rose up and took his seat. The King was very angry, and grasped his sword to strike at him. Of those sitting in attendance on him there was not one who was not startled and frightened. It was only the Minister of Agriculture (da sinong) Liu Ji who rose up and embraced the King, remonstrating with him. Liu Ji said, “After three cups of wine the Great King in person will kill an excellent gentleman. Yu Fan deserves his punishment, but will the world believe that? Furthermore, the Great King has been loved by the empire because he is able to tolerate the worthy and nourish the multitudes. Must he give up his good name on the spur of the moment?”

The King said, “Even Cao Mengde killed Kong Wenju {aka Kong Rong}. Why can’t I kill Yu Fan?”

Liu Ji said, “Cao Mengde was frivolous enough to kill a gentleman; the empire blamed him for it. But the Great King himself is practicing virtue and justice, with the intention of becoming a peer of Yao and Shun. How can he compare himself with such a man?” Yu Fan’s life was thus saved. Then the King ordered to his attendants, that from now on no man should be killed if he, in a moment of intoxication, should issue such a command. Liu Ji was Liu Yu’s son.
Also:

quote:

Zhou Tai did a lot for Sun Quan. At one point, the man literally used his body as a shield to protect Sun Quan when he was just 14. At one point, Sun Quan decided to reward this by making Zhou Tai Commander of Ruxu, a very important military position. Basically, if Cao Cao was going to attack Wu, he’d do it there.

But when Zhou Tai got there, some of the officers didn’t want to take orders from him. Some were from better families, some felt that they had more achievements, and some just didn’t want to do what Zhou Tai said because they’d been around longer.

When he heard about this, Sun Quan went to Ruxu to settle things. He held a special banquet for Zhou Tai to demonstrate how much he valued him. And then things started to get weird.

Sun Quan ordered Zhou Tai to take off his clothes in front of everyone. Quan then pointed out each and every scar Zhou Tai had and made him talk about how he got them.

While it sounds kind of nice, really try to picture this. On the one hand, you’ve got Sun Quan who was probably drunk as hell. And then there’s Zhou Tai, who is just standing there bareass naked. Then Sun Quan starts to lovingly trace all of his scars and Zhou Tai has to relive traumatic moments from his recent past. All the while, a bunch of Wu officers who didn’t respect Zhou Tai to begin with are just sitting there trying not to laugh or cry while this goes on.
The literal human shield bit is basically the historical counterpart of the DW7XL Legend Mode stage with the Shanyue.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Jibo posted:

The burning passion of the Sun family strikes again!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I am having some issues on the Battle of Nanjun with Wu for getting the hypothetical. Playing as Zhou Yu as the guide listed at http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7080371/1/ suggest, I cannot get Cao Cao's forces to all advance forward when waiting for Lu Su to get up the cliffs. When it gets to the last wave ofZhang Pu and Chen Zao, they just sit in the fort and don't come forward. even if I lure then out and kill them int he designated area, Lu Su and Lu Meng don't do their cliff attack after and Li Dian never moves forward because they are hung up on Xiahou Shang.

I have tried it several times and these dudes never move forward. I tried it as Lu Su but I have no idea what to do on the second half as I am always spotted by Wei forces. anyone have any idea what I am supposed to do/what is causing them to not advance? Thanks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's a new trailer for Kamen Rider: Battride War 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYUJGc0j5uc

I actually ordered the first game a month or so ago because it's like $40. Hope it'll arrive some day so I can play it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MotU posted:

I am having some issues on the Battle of Nanjun with Wu for getting the hypothetical. Playing as Zhou Yu as the guide listed at http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7080371/1/ suggest, I cannot get Cao Cao's forces to all advance forward when waiting for Lu Su to get up the cliffs. When it gets to the last wave ofZhang Pu and Chen Zao, they just sit in the fort and don't come forward. even if I lure then out and kill them int he designated area, Lu Su and Lu Meng don't do their cliff attack after and Li Dian never moves forward because they are hung up on Xiahou Shang.

I have tried it several times and these dudes never move forward. I tried it as Lu Su but I have no idea what to do on the second half as I am always spotted by Wei forces. anyone have any idea what I am supposed to do/what is causing them to not advance? Thanks.

I did this a long time ago so I may not be remembering correctly but I think you can actually go out and kill them outside of the designated area. That or if you leave to the south (maybe?) it makes them move forward.

Have you tried looking up videos of people doing it?

E: Make sure you interim save after you get it because the next part has some touchy parts too.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 3, 2014

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I have but Lu Su still never gets into position. I waited 15 minutes doing nothing and nada.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

It's easiest as LuSu, because they just show you the route to take

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I get spotted like immediately on the second one. It shows me the green boxes but I guess I stray slightly from what it is supposed to be? I'm not exactly sure of the exact route and there aren't like any star Guides playing as Lu Su

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

First it's go around the outside then you have to follow Zhou Yu and take the first right...

the zetaboards link has a good image that shows the route.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Oh that same route works for Lu Su? I'll have to try that. It looked like it wanted me to go in a different direction

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Both Lu Su and Lu Meng use that route.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

I actually ordered the first game a month or so ago because it's like $40. Hope it'll arrive some day so I can play it.

Aaaargh, I shouldn't want this, since the first game was almost aggressively average, but seeing Gaim there makes my resolve waver like hell.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Fianlly got the first part working as Zhou Yu and now Zhange He, Xiahou Yuan and Yue Jin don't come forward so the second pincer doesn't work. I hate this mission. Only star I have left to get besides the hypothetical route ones this unlocks

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MotU posted:

Fianlly got the first part working as Zhou Yu and now Zhange He, Xiahou Yuan and Yue Jin don't come forward so the second pincer doesn't work. I hate this mission. Only star I have left to get besides the hypothetical route ones this unlocks

That was the part I had trouble with here. Basically if you stay in the base that you get to after you take out the guard tower and smack some dudes around then Zhang He and Xiahou Yuan will come after you. Yue Jin just kind of does whatever and isn't important.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah they never came after me at all and the one time I got them to, Lu Meng and Lu Su just like stood in their way and the trigger never happened. I managed to do it as Lu Su, as I didn't know before that "You have been spotted!" isn't a fail state, it just means defeat the officer. I always angrily reloaded it before it said "Quickly defeat the lookout!" :v:

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo, I know next to nothing about Kamen Rider but I am tempted to import this for the Abarenbo Shogun cross-over.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It would be nice if they release that Vita patch here soon. I just had the game do a total hard lock of my Vita that required me to reboot in safe mode.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
From the twitter account of one of Samurai Warriors 4's producers..

He seems pretty certain.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So he's gone from "Summer I guess" to definitively saying it will come overseas? Good to hear!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Daikoku posted:

Holy poo poo, I know next to nothing about Kamen Rider but I am tempted to import this for the Abarenbo Shogun cross-over.
The Kamen Rider OOOs movie is an unofficial crossover with Abarenbo Shogun (not technically a crossover, but same actor playing the same historical figure in about the same way), hence the appearance here.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

So... Just kicked Kessen 2 on the PS3 (it's available via PSN). Good LORD this looks hilarious. I'd forgotten it was this bad.

Seriously, it's ripe for a gag dubbing given how bad the mouth movements are.

Also, I'd probably pay to have a costume set from this game in DW8. MINISTRY OF SILLY HATS, AWAY!

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Slugnoid posted:

From the twitter account of one of Samurai Warriors 4's producers..

He seems pretty certain.

God I hope so. SW2 was my favorite and I totally missed out on 3 so getting back into that universe can't happen soon enough.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Missing out on 3 proper isn't that big a deal, but if you have a 3DS SW:Chronicles is pretty good and has a lot of systems that are apparently returning.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

How often does KOEI put out a NA localization and then just pass on EU?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It can take a while sometimes, especially when it comes to Empires / XL games, but I seriously can't think of any game they didn't eventually bring over. The gap has been getting better and better nowadays.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I haven't played one of these games since one of the early ones on the PS2, but on a whim I decided to pick up Dynasty Warriors 8 for my PS4 as it was released yesterday.

There are so many options on the menu for game modes and ways to play it's overwhelming I don't even really understand the differences so I started the Tutorial and now I know the buttons to attack dudes with, awesome.

Within the large amount of options I picked to start a Wei campaign even though that LuBu option was tempting (is there any advised order for the campaigns or any of the other missions?).

Immediately I'm not pursuing LuBu, but I'm mashing buttons and there's lots of flashy things going on and dudes are dying everywhere and they're being thrown around into the sky and on the ground and now there's a million pick-ups on the ground I can't even comprehend what they are because everything is going so fast and more dudes just arrived who just got hoovered up in front of me was I wildly flailed my sword around and everything exploded and now I got a new weapon and some some skills but too slow I don't have time to equip that here's some more dudes. Woo I escaped. I think some story happened I don't actually know.

:allears: I forgot how much I love these games.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There really isn't a preferred "order," though I would definitely do Jin last, and probably Lu Bu second to last. Jin occurs after the events of Wei/Wu/Shu, and Lu Bu would be more interesting once you are familiar again with the "actual" stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Generally do Wei/Wu/Shu first then Jin and finally Lu Bu.

You can do Lu Bu at any point but his campaign will UTTERLY break any difficulty curve in the game