Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The bigger problem for the Democrats in 2012 was that, by holding their convention in a right to work state, they angered the service unions who represent hotel and event workers who then refused to contribute to the convention, forcing the party to cancel some of the lead up events.

Congress also just voted to eliminate the federal contribution to convention funding (most of which went to security) so the parties will have to foot the bill for the whole shebang in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah. Funnily enough, it went red and Florida, where the Republicans held their convention, went blue. I think that's an argument for not having your convention in a swing state, because it doesn't seem to actually help at all.

I think that choice of convention venue, like choice of vice-presidential candidate, is one of those things that insiders and wonks sometimes think is meaningful, but that probably doesn't matter to the average person.

the Democrats holding their convention in North Carolina probably shifted even fewer votes there than Paul Ryan being on the ticket shifted in Wisconsin.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

The bigger problem for the Democrats in 2012 was that, by holding their convention in a right to work state, they angered the service unions who represent hotel and event workers who then refused to contribute to the convention, forcing the party to cancel some of the lead up events.

Congress also just voted to eliminate the federal contribution to convention funding (most of which went to security) so the parties will have to foot the bill for the whole shebang in 2016.

In a hilarious converse, Las Vegas is a highly unionized town. Hope all the delegates enjoy saliva in their food!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Joementum posted:

Good.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

It is good. But don't worry, the state taxpayers will still pay through the nose in the form of a massive police presence that will beat down any protesters that dare to get within hearing of the convention. Police who also get massive federal grants by the way, so you're paying for it no matter what.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Don't worry guys, ADM and the Kochs have got this! :waycool:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Saw Sanders on Fox the other day, he's pretty clearly running for president. Hope he does the Dem primaries so there's an actual challenge from the left for Hillary.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Saw Sanders on Fox the other day, he's pretty clearly running for president. Hope he does the Dem primaries so there's an actual challenge from the left for Hillary.

It'll make the primary more entertaining, but if Romney taught us one thing, it's that you can tack centre after defending your flank for months and most voters won't notice.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Sanders is the only US politician that I would put in manhours for to try and get elected.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It'll make the primary more entertaining, but if Romney taught us one thing, it's that you can tack centre after defending your flank for months and most voters won't notice.

Romney taught Americans how to lose really badly at an election.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah. Funnily enough, it went red and Florida, where the Republicans held their convention, went blue. I think that's an argument for not having your convention in a swing state, because it doesn't seem to actually help at all.

They should just go back to chasing their white whale and have it in Philadelphia again.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Bank of America Stadium. I mean really.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

2004 in NYC was a special case for obvious reasons (NEVER FORGET). Obama won NC in 2008 by a razor thin margin and 2012 was projected to be just as close and possibly more crucial.

Old thinking is that placing a convention in a tightly contested area will amp up the local and state levels of the campaign, so it follows that the party would employ that tool where they can get the most leverage.

Also they may just want to spite Obama by going to Denver, the site of his "coronation" in 2008 and proclaiming his hundreds of failures that have destroyed America, etc. They can parade out the state legislators that won recall elections over gun control backlash along with the various stripes of lunatics from Colorado Springs, the counties that voted to secede from CO, and so on.

As Joementum stated, Las Vegas has money and Sheldon Adelson, so that's just as likely as Denver.

North Carolina was not important in either 2008 or 2012. In 2012 Obama won the national popular vote by four points and lost North Carolina by two, which to say that it was a full six points more Republican than the nation as a whole (same was true in 2008). The convention being held in NC was more out of respect for how far the Democrats had come there, not because of electoral strategy, which would suggest somewhere in Virginia or Ohio.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Allen West has some suggestions for 2016.

quote:

“What type of gimmick will we rush to accept as a leader regardless of qualification, leadership, or principles? The first Hispanic president? The first gay president? The first transgender president? The first Muslim president? (Oh, wait…) How long will we follow destructive cults of personality just to appease the gods of political correctness?”

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miltank posted:

Sanders is the only US politician that I would put in manhours for to try and get elected.

Maybe for Governor of [New England State] but the dude seems pretty naive regarding racial issues.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Except that they did notice and he lost horribly?

computer parts posted:

Maybe for Governor of [New England State] but the dude seems pretty naive regarding racial issues.

Have you been to Vermont? There was a Stormfront thread discussing where they could all move for maximum whiteness and Vermont was first to be considered but got axed because hippies.

SavageBastard fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 3, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SavageBastard posted:

Except that they did notice and he lost horribly?

His loss wasn't because of a lack of conservative support for him, nor was he subject to relentless grilling as a "flip flopper" by the media.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Wait, Allen. Now you're telling me that we HAVEN'T already elected the first Muslim president? I guess two years out of office and you really can lose touch with your core constituency.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Pretty sure that's what the (Oh, wait...) is supposed to mean.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
As Allen West would put it, Obama is a gaijin.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

What's next, a war criminal president? (Oh, wait)

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Joementum posted:

I bet the Cincinnati boosters are bummed that Newt isn't going to have much influence in 2016. They've got a really nice zoo that's worth visiting if you're in the area.

I really hope he looks at the current crop of clowns predicted to run and decides gently caress it, why not, so we can get more intergalactic domination plans out of him (also space zoos).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zero_Grade posted:

I really hope he looks at the current crop of clowns predicted to run and decides gently caress it, why not, so we can get more intergalactic domination plans out of him (also space zoos).

And 10 year old janitors to keep them clean and earn their lunch.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Someone on my feed just said Sanders was a corrupt politician because unions gave him $7m for re-election. Oh my god.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Beamed posted:

Someone on my feed just said Sanders was a corrupt politician because unions gave him $7m for re-election. Oh my god.

Just tell that person Justice Roberts said that there is no reason that giving money to a politician for elections means that politician will do anything for the giver.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Radish posted:

Just tell that person Justice Roberts said that there is no reason that giving money to a politician for elections means that politician will do anything for the giver.

And then watch as they handwave it away in a stunning lack of cognitive dissonance.

What I am saying is, unfriend/unsubscribe all these people and never look back.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

The 2016 RNC will be in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Kansas City, or Las Vegas.

Wrap it up, Columbus and Phoenix!

Cowards! Running away from Poseidon's wrath like a bunch of Corinthians. They should hold it in Houston or Miami and dare the hurricanes to come.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

And then watch as they handwave it away in a stunning lack of cognitive dissonance.

You see when a GROUP of people give money to a politician that's corruption because he's being paid off. When ONE person does it, it's just that person feeling strongly about the issues! *blood starts pouring out of every facial orifice*

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Radish posted:

You see when a GROUP of people give money to a politician that's corruption because he's being paid off. When ONE person does it, it's just that person feeling strongly about the issues! *blood starts pouring out of every facial orifice*

But groups are people, my friend.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

sullat posted:

Cowards! Running away from Poseidon's wrath like a bunch of Corinthians. They should hold it in Houston or Miami and dare the hurricanes to come.

Remember in 2008 when they hosted it in St. Paul and it still got interrupted by a hurricane?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Naet posted:

But groups are people, my friend.

Some groups are more people than others.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Chokes McGee posted:

Well, they are a group that claims to support the free market while wanting Unions to be impossible.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Remember in 2008 when they hosted it in St. Paul and it still got interrupted by a hurricane?

:stonk: Holy poo poo, you're right!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Avoiding hurricane season is one of the reasons that they're bumping the convention up to early-mid June.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Does Allen West understand what the word "ronin" means? Does he understand anything? At all?

e: loving lol "Social welfare is worse than physical enslavement"

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 3, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Ammat The Ankh posted:

A hurricane of angry protestors. They still haven't taken down the surveillance cameras outside of the punk bars.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

Does Allen West understand what the word "ronin" means? Does he understand anything? At all?

e: loving lol "Social welfare is worse than physical enslavement"

Anyone who says that should get the option to be a literal slave for the low, low cost of giving up their super high tax bracket.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

made of bees posted:

Pretty sure that's what the (Oh, wait...) is supposed to mean.

Ah, I missed that when I read it. I was worried about West for a moment there. Good to see he hasn't actually let us down.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

dilbertschalter posted:

North Carolina was not important in either 2008 or 2012. In 2012 Obama won the national popular vote by four points and lost North Carolina by two, which to say that it was a full six points more Republican than the nation as a whole (same was true in 2008). The convention being held in NC was more out of respect for how far the Democrats had come there, not because of electoral strategy, which would suggest somewhere in Virginia or Ohio.

What's unfortunate about Virginia is that for a large, important state, we have no big arenas. The biggest metro area is a suburb and has to go to another federal jurisdiction for entertainment and there are no pro teams (nor will there be) in the 2nd and 3rd largest metros, which are both considerably smaller than Cleveland or Cincinnati. Also one is just a big Naval base.

The good thing is that, at the state level, Team Blue is doing especially well since the state GOP basically imploded last year and either chased out its most promising candidates or is watching them go to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It would be entertaining to see some second tier Virginia city expand their convention center just to accommodate a national party convention though.

• Locked thread