Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I was trying to remember if Jon has been named heir to Winterfell by Robb on the show but I'm drawing a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
He wasn't

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Second edition:

Yes, I want feedback on #4: Alcohol poisoning. Too obvious? Is it better or worse with Robert? Joffrey getting poisoned seems like an open secret in the other thread so presenting the card as it is might tip them off. I've managed to resist putting Joffrey on the same plane as #4 just because that might be pushing it.

Someone mentioned have a slot for children in danger, which I think has a lot of potential in light of the Meereen child corpses, Joffrey's death, Tommen, Sweetrobin, Rickon (if he appears), the Stark babbies in general, Hazzea, and also the actual Children of the Forest. If anyone has any ideas for face + corresponding title combo, let me know.

Anyway, to address this:

CapnAndy posted:

How many times is "New Actor, Old Role" going to happen? Two, three max, and possibly some of them in the same episode? It's unfair.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for. I'm going to be changing the card after Joffrey dies in the second episode anyway, so if we can get all three new actors for old roles (Tommen, Gregor, Daario) in the first two episodes then I can remove that one too while guaranteeing a good distribution in the early episodes.

A Brienne square would make sense after Episode 2 because that's around the time that she's going to be sent out looking for Sansa and will start to do interesting stuff. I'll think about it.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I won't lie, I'll miss The Roose is Loose.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Was watching one of the new trailers and noticed two characters I can't place. Anyone out there have any clue who these two girls are?

http://imgur.com/L4bVpkj
http://imgur.com/UmlXLLe

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

ruddiger posted:

Was watching one of the new trailers and noticed two characters I can't place. Anyone out there have any clue who these two girls are?

http://imgur.com/L4bVpkj
http://imgur.com/UmlXLLe

The second one is one of the two (Violet?) who seduced Theon prior to his dick cut off. The first one is prey in one of Ramsay's hunting trips.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
No no keep the shot of Cersei drinking for "alcohol poisoning" because that way people think it's just a funny way of saying "Cersei drinks too much"

"Reek on a leash" though, that is genius :golfclap:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 3, 2014

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Re: why people seem more ready to forgive Jaime than Theon. I think they key difference is that Jaime actually took actions of redemption (i.e. going back to save Brienne while he was under no obligation to do so at all) whereas Theon was just tortured. Of course, Theon hasn't had a chance at taking any meaingful action to redeem himself, but it's not outside the realm of possibility within the story's logic. Plus, while both (attempted to) kill kids to cover up a dirty secret, Theon's reason was arguably worse - he wanted people to believe he'd killed the kids.

I do disagree with whoever said Theon's likely to live by the end of the series. His story arc is a shadow parallel of Jaime's in a couple of ways since the start of the War of the Five Kings. Both have fathers that spurn them despite obviously being accomplished in several areas of life, both attempt child murder, both were held captive in circumstances where they believed their life could have ended at moment's notice, both physically lose their pride (hand - cock), hell, you could make a case for both having incestuous longings. The difference is that Theon's arc represents the worse event at each point. That's why I think Jaime's arc might end with a 'Kill the King Pt II' that is horrible but ultimately justified, and that Theon's will end up with dying brutally to save someone else.

e: Not to mention both their fathers die in unceremonious circumstances.

Pope Hilarius II fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 3, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm kinda curious what they're going to do with a number of plots. Balon Grey almost certainly dies but they haven't cast Euron or Victarion, and Jeyne Poole isn't a real character on the show.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

the jizz taxi posted:

Re: why people seem more ready to forgive Jaime than Theon. I think they key difference is that Jaime actually took actions of redemption (i.e. going back to save Brienne while he was under no obligation to do so at all) whereas Theon was just tortured. Of course, Theon hasn't had a chance at taking any meaingful action to redeem himself, but it's not outside the realm of possibility within the story's logic. Plus, while both (attempted to) kill kids to cover up a dirty secret, Theon's reason was arguably worse - he wanted people to believe he'd killed the kids.

I do disagree with whoever said Theon's likely to live by the end of the series. His story arc is a shadow parallel of Jaime's in a couple of ways since the start of the War of the Five Kings. Both have fathers that spurn them despite obviously being accomplished in several areas of life, both attempt child murder, both were held captive in circumstances where they believed their life could have ended at moment's notice, both physically lose their pride (hand - cock), hell, you could make a case for both having incestuous longings. The difference is that Theon's arc represents the worse event at each point. That's why I think Jaime's arc might end with a 'Kill the King Pt II' that is horrible but ultimately justified, and that Theon's will end up with dying brutally to save someone else.

I think Cercei was manipulating Jaime, which is a mitigating factor. She was playing the battered wife desperately needing love. But she's really not capable of love and is probably psychotic. Jaime had taken vows to never have a wife, so he was sexually repressed and probably easy to sexually manipulate.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 3, 2014

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And of course there's Tywin who's a solid general and a masterful politician, also Kevan to a lesser extent.

A couple pages late but this got me thinking, is he really? Tywin I mean. Off the top of my head I don't recall him ever being shown as a particularly savvy military leader. In the rebellion his entire plan is to wait and see who wins. In the books he commands what, Blackwater which is irrelevant because of the input of the Tyrells and Tyrion's stratagem, and that one fight where he basically falls for Robb's ruse and would've lost Casterly Rock as a direct result if not for Theon's treason. A masterful politician is a given, but does he ultimately have any aptitude for warfare?

I know he's talked up as being a cunning general but people being talked up by unreliable sources is a big theme in the books. That's what bothers me about the book portrayal of Jaime vis a vis his duel with Brienne, actually. There are a lot of swordsmen like The Sword of the Morning who are made up to be these near mythical figures of ultimate swordsmanship, but in the end they're all just men with swords who get killed by other men with swords. Jaime however is almost mary-sue levels of badass in the book, especially in the duel against Brienne where he seemingly has the upper hand despite being in poor condition and bound in irons. In the show he's back to the "yes you're a great fighter but so is Brienne and she has the advantage, get out of your little boy dreams" realistic approach the rest of the characters in the books are portrayed through. On the other hand, that made what followed abit more poignant which might've been the entire point.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Hra Mormo posted:

Jaime however is almost mary-sue levels of badass in the book, especially in the duel against Brienne where he seemingly has the upper hand despite being in poor condition and bound in irons.

"Jaime could not have said how long he pressed the attack. It might have been minutes or it might have been hours..."

That entire scene happens in Jaime's head, so I wouldn't take it at face value. Jaime naturally thinks he has the advantage in that duel, he thinks it takes longer than it actually does, and so on. It's a very skewed perspective where he notes with great relish that Brienne slipped on a root once and that he managed to get in a lucky scrape. Not until the Bloody Mummers have caught and bound them does he mention that he'd been beaten swollen and bloody.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Promethium posted:

"Jaime could not have said how long he pressed the attack. It might have been minutes or it might have been hours..."

That entire scene happens in Jaime's head, so I wouldn't take it at face value. Jaime naturally thinks he has the advantage in that duel, he thinks it takes longer than it actually does, and so on. It's a very skewed perspective where he notes with great relish that Brienne slipped on a root once and that he managed to get in a lucky scrape. Not until the Bloody Mummers have caught and bound them does he mention that he'd been beaten swollen and bloody.

Brienne also mentions in her inner monologue in her first AFFC chapter that she was struggling and that if he had been unbound and not tired she wouldn't have been a match for him

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

So this is a thing they're currently doing in my city. Can't wait to see it collapse :D

Haha, this is amazing - one of the tweets was "I wish someone would make a statue for Carl of The Walking Dead"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm kinda curious what they're going to do with a number of plots. Balon Grey almost certainly dies but they haven't cast Euron or Victarion, and Jeyne Poole isn't a real character on the show.

Balon can die in the finale (or some time close to it), and Yara can get word that her uncle has returned, so she should head home.

Then at the beginning of Season 5 they can introduce him and say they already did the Kingsmoot if that really upsets people that much.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Do we learn about Balon's death before or after Joffrey's in the book?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lifts cats over head posted:

Balon dies in 299 (I don't know about when we find out) while Joffrey dies in 300.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

lifts cats over head posted:

Before. In fact, even Robb finds out before he dies himself.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rosscifer posted:

I think Cercei was manipulating Jaime, which is a mitigating factor. She was playing the battered wife desperately needing love. But she's really not capable of love and is probably psychotic. Jaime had taken vows to never have a wife, so he was sexually repressed and probably easy to sexually manipulate.

Eh, I think the Lannistwins are painted pretty well as having been that way their entire lives, honestly. They've always been close, but I do think it's ultimately Cersei who initiated the incest what with how loving narcissistic she is. But not after her marriage, I'm pretty sure they've been banging since they were old enough to do so.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Eh, I think the Lannistwins are painted pretty well as having been that way their entire lives, honestly. They've always been close, but I do think it's ultimately Cersei who initiated the incest what with how loving narcissistic she is. But not after her marriage, I'm pretty sure they've been banging since they were old enough to do so.
When Tywin was the hand and they all lived in Kings Landing (edit: except Jaime who was squiring around), Cersei believed she was going to get married with Rhaegar so she had sex with Jaime during one of his visit to convince him to join the Kingsguard so he could stay close to her. Jaime's joined the guard, the mad king decided Rhaegar would marry with Elia Martell, Tywin was "WHAT? I RESIGN", Cersei ended up alone in Casterly Rock and is a terrible plotter.

Also they had sex in the Tower of the Hand so it's probable Varys/a bird/whoever was spying for him then was watching and reporting the whole Cersei's plot/incest to the Mad King and it's why he canceled the marriage.

Edit: yeah, that's how Jaime remembers it in a Feast for Crows. Also Cersei told him that Tywin wanted to have Jaime marry Lysa Tully.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 3, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's a Jeyne Poole in the show, she just had like one line in the first episode.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Are euron and victarion going to be core to the plot of this season? Or will most of that plotline be in the next one? Guessing that the earlier parts of that story will be included

Crap, I only have a few days to rewatch season 3... otherwise Im gonna be all confused

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Euron and Victarion haven't even been cast yet. They're not going to be in this season at all. Some people even think one or both of them will be cut entirely.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Euron and Victarion haven't even been cast yet. They're not going to be in this season at all. Some people even think one or both of them will be cut entirely.

Without euron/victarion, there is much less exceitement about who gets to marry Danny which sucks. It kinda makes sense if they need to make the plot more compact to fit in a finite amount of air time, they would remove that part. I am kinda concerned about the plot trimming that will start to increase as the series continues and the plot branches become more prevalent in the books

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it makes more sense for them to be introduced next season anyway, but who knows.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thehacker0 posted:

exceitement about who gets to marry Danny

There was excitement over this? Maybe two or three characters thought they were going to marry her for a couple of chapters while the reader already knows there's zero chance for any of them.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I thought Victarion was cast already, I coulda sworn I saw a promotional picture with him on it.

If Euron doesn't get cast this season or next then I'm pretty much convinced that the Iron Isles story arc isn't that important to the overall series.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
There was fanart of the "oh boy it'd be so great if they cast [I forget who] as Victarion" variety that was made to look like a promo poster or something, I believe. You may be thinking of that.

Steve2911 posted:

There was excitement over this? Maybe two or three characters thought they were going to marry her for a couple of chapters while the reader already knows there's zero chance for any of them.

The ultimate source of confusion here, of course, is that the High Valyrian word for "dead husband" can also mean "head".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Unless Victarion turns out to be a genuine player and not just a cool oaf who has a kickin' rad viking quest that gets his eaten by a dragon it's easy to imagine Euron and Victarion being merged into the same character.

Instead of having one scary Greyjoy that lurks in the shadows and sends his idiot but slightly more sympathetic brother on a fool's errand that intersects with Dany's storyline and gets him killed we could just have Euron do everything himself and not get eaten by a dragon.

Of course this is all bullshit speculation cause we don't really know how Victarion's quest is gonna turn out.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

I thought Victarion was cast already, I coulda sworn I saw a promotional picture with him on it.

If Euron doesn't get cast this season or next then I'm pretty much convinced that the Iron Isles story arc isn't that important to the overall series.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

There was fanart of the "oh boy it'd be so great if they cast [I forget who] as Victarion" variety that was made to look like a promo poster or something, I believe. You may be thinking of that.

The ultimate source of confusion here, of course, is that the High Valyrian word for "dead husband" can also mean "head".

Ray Stevenson Does Not Sow

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Or have eyes.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Max posted:

That reminds me, I re-watched the series in the lead up to this Sunday, and I was struck by how they made the Jaime/Brienne fight go more in Brienne's favor. In the book it really seems like the fight could go either way, even with Jaime in irons. The show kind of makes him look like a buffoon in that fight.

I think the fight in the books seemed like it could either way because it was from Jaime's point of view. It starts with him so happy he has a sword and gets to fight again, to realizing that hey, I'm pretty out of shape, my hands are chained and it's making this kinda hard, to oh poo poo this lady is kicking my rear end. The fight on the show is similar, just without the benefit of being inside Jaime's head.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Well, by excitement, I guess I am referring to how the characters are on a quest for Danny's hand. Victarion, Euron, the Dornish prince and her brother are all acting based on the goal of marrying her...

Not so much excitement over who will win her hand, but just the underlying reason and the potential outcomes of the competition between the potential suitors

Max
Nov 30, 2002

nopants posted:

I think the fight in the books seemed like it could either way because it was from Jaime's point of view. It starts with him so happy he has a sword and gets to fight again, to realizing that hey, I'm pretty out of shape, my hands are chained and it's making this kinda hard, to oh poo poo this lady is kicking my rear end. The fight on the show is similar, just without the benefit of being inside Jaime's head.

It was pointed out earlier, but Brienne reflects in a later chapter that it was a very close fight.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Max posted:

It was pointed out earlier, but Brienne reflects in a later chapter that it was a very close fight.

Honestly I prefer the show version.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Unless Victarion turns out to be a genuine player and not just a cool oaf who has a kickin' rad viking quest that gets his eaten by a dragon it's easy to imagine Euron and Victarion being merged into the same character.

Instead of having one scary Greyjoy that lurks in the shadows and sends his idiot but slightly more sympathetic brother on a fool's errand that intersects with Dany's storyline and gets him killed we could just have Euron do everything himself and not get eaten by a dragon.

Of course this is all bullshit speculation cause we don't really know how Victarion's quest is gonna turn out.

Alternatively, some of Victarions more rebellious aspects could be merged into Asha/Yara. Of course it's as of yet unclear how her stint with Stannis will turn out, but if she does eventually escape from that then it'd be entirely possible to rearrange things in such a way that she'd be the one Euron sends down to Mereen to pick up Dany. Of course a lot depends on Euron's and Victarion's respective endgames and how that entire storyline eventually pans out, so it's all still very much in the air.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Victarion seems to be aware that it's a fools errand from the get go. He just does it to get away from Euron, who he obviously hates. Victarion won't live for much longer but I'm pretty confident he's going to gently caress something up before he dies. He'll probably kill a dragon.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

last season my roommates and I bought a big ham and had a "ham of thrones" party for the premiere. this year one of my roommates (who pretty much organizes the whole thing) is going to be gone for the premiere so we're doing it next week instead. I'm the only one who's read the books and knows what's going to happen that episode and I've been struggling to keep a straight face and not say something like "it's better this way, trust me." so that's going to be a fun night :)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

romanowski posted:

last season my roommates and I bought a big ham and had a "ham of thrones" party for the premiere. this year one of my roommates (who pretty much organizes the whole thing) is going to be gone for the premiere so we're doing it next week instead. I'm the only one who's read the books and knows what's going to happen that episode and I've been struggling to keep a straight face and not say something like "it's better this way, trust me." so that's going to be a fun night :)

Apparently the fight in the inn with Sandor and Arya is going to be at the end of the episode. How far are they pushing her story this season? It feels like she'll be in Braavos and blind by the 10th episode.

Max fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Max posted:

Apparently the fight in the inn with Sandor and Arya is going to be at the end of the episode. How far are they pushing her story this season? It feels like she'll be in Bravos and blind by the 10th episode.

Well, she'll definitely be in Braavos.

• Locked thread