Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
She is precious! She may grow out of the weird eating habits. Dexter had this thing where he would scoop up a mouthful of food, walk from the kitchen to the living room, drop it, and then eat it off the floor. Lather, rinse, repeat until the bowl was empty. He grew out of that in about a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Sam is over 3 now, and she will still on ocassion, get a mouth full of food, dump it on the floor, and eat it one bit at a time. Usually she just inhales mouthfuls in hopes of getting more though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Wulfling posted:

Sam is over 3 now, and she will still on ocassion, get a mouth full of food, dump it on the floor, and eat it one bit at a time. Usually she just inhales mouthfuls in hopes of getting more though.

Do all corgis do this? We feed Otto the amount recommended and every time he eats, it's like he's starving with how fast he is inhaling the food.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Do all corgis do this? We feed Otto the amount recommended and every time he eats, it's like he's starving with how fast he is inhaling the food.

Corgis are just notorious for being fatties. We have one of each. One will scarf down every meal like it's going to disappear and as soon as she is done is sniffing around for more. The other one would eat casually throughout the day if she had her choice but finishes her bowl because she knows it'll get eaten by the other one.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
My vet loves me for keeping Tegan's weight down. She did gain a tiny bit of weight from 17 lbs to 17.8, and she would definitely eat herself to death if I free fed her.

Tegan had to come to work with me today because my girlfriend is watching over a stray dog. Corgi office day, best day.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Yeah Sam has always been a cow, and vacuums her food down. Though I always just assumed it was due to her running off into the other room to beg my mother for more food, which she would eventually get, reinforcing the behavior that she begs and whines when people are eating. Food just doesn't last around her. Hell she even jumped up and snatched a slice of pizza out of my hands and ate it, the little poo poo. She is a bit overweight though. Much less so than when my mother was feeding her several times a day off her plate or the stove.

E: Has anyone shaved their corgis? Is this something I can have done, or is it a bad idea. Sam sheds an unbelievable amount of fur, and my girlfriend wants me to have her shaved with her next grooming to cut down on that.

Hobold fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 28, 2014

catamar
May 23, 2008
Gansett stole a sandwich out of my husband's uncle's hands over Christmas. He's not invited back. The dogs have gotten into their big bag of costco kibble twice and didn't eat the entire bag either time, but they were extremely ... firm to the touch afterward.

Definitely don't shave your corgi! They'll still shed the same number of hairs, they'll just be shorter and pricklier. I don't know whether this is the best way to brush them, but I use one of those scary looking shedding blades on Holly and it gets off crazy fur. My groomer furminates her.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

catamar posted:

Gansett stole a sandwich out of my husband's uncle's hands over Christmas. He's not invited back. The dogs have gotten into their big bag of costco kibble twice and didn't eat the entire bag either time, but they were extremely ... firm to the touch afterward.

Definitely don't shave your corgi! They'll still shed the same number of hairs, they'll just be shorter and pricklier. I don't know whether this is the best way to brush them, but I use one of those scary looking shedding blades on Holly and it gets off crazy fur. My groomer furminates her.

Oh man I couldn't help but about laugh myself out of my chair on the firm comment. Oh its bad enough they already look like little sausages with legs, just fill em to the brim for kicks. Poor things, I bet they had a hell of a time when it was time to get rid of all that kibble.

I may or may not have a ferminator with me. It might have been left back at my mothers place. The problem with that is Sam doesn't really take to brushings, and squirms and whines a lot. Don't know why, but she gets fussy. Definitely won't shave her though.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Yeahhhhhh.

I got Holly and Gansett to accept the dremel at home with some kibble last weekend, counter-conditioning does work! Here's the pre-dremel loaf (I CAN'T GRIND WHAT I CAN'T FIND)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mordiceius posted:

Igby follows this. Well, first he takes a mouthful and carries it to the other room and dumps it on the floor to eat.

He also comes back after emptying the bowl and sniffs around in to just to make sure.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Oh lord. The sniffing. Soo much sniffing to make drat sure, not one single crumb got lost in the vacuuming of kibbles.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sir Tonk posted:

He also comes back after emptying the bowl and sniffs around in to just to make sure.

Bahahaha. Otto does that too. Luckily, he is behaved enough that he doesn't try to steal food. His food is also sealed up in our pantry, so he can't get into it. When we're feeding him, he's trained to sit and wait before he's allowed to go in and eat, so I really can't complain about him at all. Ever since I read The Hobbit to my wife a couple months ago, she's called Otto our little hobbit.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Try using a bowl with the posts in the middle. This forces them to eat around them, use their tongue, and slows down their eating. It's helped Loki tremendously

Edit: http://www.chewy.com/dog/proselect-...CFZRr7Aod9GIANA

Added a link to an example

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

What have people found to be the best comb for a corgi's undercoat? I tried a furminator and I didn't like how it was pulling on the top coat. I've got a zoomgroom coming to try, but was wondering if anyone had better suggestions.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Try a shedding blade. They look like bent over saws. I would probably use a zoom groom, a shedding blade and a comb or slicker on a corgi.

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014
I've been wanting to get a puppy for years, and my boyfriend and I are finally moving into a rental that allows pets! A corgi seems great in so many ways, but I want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

I'm looking for:
- a medium sized dog (my place has a 60 pound weight limit, and I'm not a fan of most tiny dogs)
- a pup that is smart and able to be trained (obedience and some tricks) if I put the effort in
- a dog that can walk 5-6 miles a day with me (at least) and hang out with other dogs and people at my office about 5 days a week
- a companion with a personality of its own - somewhere in the middle of the total lap dog <-> watchdog spectrum
It doesn't hurt that corgis are so drat cute...

I have the time, money, and enthusiasm to make sure to raise and train him/her well, and I'm already learning as much as I can from the puppy/new dog thread.

I live in a duplex in San Francisco, so I have neighbors living above me, but not below or on any sides. I've read things about barking that go both ways - either it's inevitable and uncontrollable, or it can be discouraged starting at a young age and isn't too persistent. Does this just depend on the dog, and is there any way to tell from a young age?

I also live half a block from a dog park, so I don't think getting too little exercise will be a problem, but I'm hoping 5-6+ miles a day isn't too much walking.

Any advice from corgi owners, especially those in cities? Anything I'm not considering?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

I live in a duplex with neighbors to the side, and your corgi will inform you of everything they do. A door opens? BARKBARKBARK. They go up the stairs? BARKBARKBARK. They have a conversation in a room right against your shared wall? You get the picture. Tegan has been getting more relaxed about it over the past year, but she's still very insistent that I'm aware of all of my neighbors' comings and goings.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
5-6 miles is a long ways for those little legs. I'd look into a breed with longer legs if you want a companion on long walks. When Lucy was younger, she used to walk with my mom, she'd poop out after a couple of miles. Now from arthritis, or whatever is wrong with her hips, she can barely make it on a short walk in the morning (I usually don't take her unless she gets up and acts like she really wants to go, had to carry her part of the way recently-she wants to do it herself so bad but you can tell when she can't go anymore.)

And yeah, she barks a lot. It's not as loud as my basset—but she'll bark at the school bus stopping down the street or any strange motor noises she doesn't recognize.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I wouldn't go 5-6+ miles a day with any breed of dog under a year old. That said, most non-broken adult dogs will go 5-6 miles a day with no issue if you condition them to it. This goes out the window if you end up with a dog with hip dysplasia or disc disease. The corgis that I see in agility seem a lot more fragile than the other herding breeds because of their shape. I also know a disproportionate number of reactive corgis - some are rescues, but others have been very well-socialized from a young age.

If you're prepared to take on Corgi-level energy, you might have an easier path for your other wants with a Toller, Brittany or Aussie.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Millions posted:

I live in a duplex with neighbors to the side, and your corgi will inform you of everything they do. A door opens? BARKBARKBARK. They go up the stairs? BARKBARKBARK.

Yep.

thylacine posted:

And yeah, she barks a lot. It's not as loud as my basset—but she'll bark at the school bus stopping down the street or any strange motor noises she doesn't recognize.

Yep. Any loud truck will set corgis off.

Igby freaks the gently caress out when the UPS clicks over for some reason. Certain clicking noises really set him off.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I've got a little stool set next to the bed for Sam to use as a step platform for climbing up. She doesn't really need it, she can just straight up if she really wants to but most of the time she'll sit at the stool and act like she's getting ready to go up, but just stand up then drop down again. I'm not sure if she's just being lazy or what. She seems fine most of the time, very active, runs a lot, and willingly throws herself off the bed when she wants down, often before you can try to do anything to stop her. Really I'm just wondering if she isn't being spoiled, or if its an early sign of a problem I need to be aware of. She's only about three and a half now. She does the same thing with the couch. Almost like she is afraid to jump up, has to keep standing up to make sure its okay for her to do it.

E: Sam barks at the stupidest poo poo, but has gotten better to the point where she wont do it inside. Other than dogs on the tv or computer anyways. Outside? Yeah she barks at grass blowing in the wind.

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks for the replies!

I think the walking should be ok. I was basing 5-6 miles on my fitbit activity, but my walk to work is actually about a mile and a half each way, with plenty of naptime in the middle of the day if needed. I could also carry the pup for part of the walk while it's little or leave him/her home with my boyfriend sometimes (he works from home a few days a week). I'll definitely be vigilant about parents' health issues if I get one, though.

The barking is slightly more troublesome. I'm not worried about *any barking ever* so much as barking that is loud and persistent enough to really upset the neighbors. Definitely worth some more thought, and hopefully chatting with some other city corgi owners.

I appreciate the breed recommendations, Engineer Lenk! I'll do some research into those, too.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'm living with my old corgi girl Indra in a rental with lots of neighbors around and it's working pretty well. Like every corgis (and maybe like most dogs in general) she barks pretty often as well, but since she's not that loud all the time and especially barking when no one's home, that's totally okay. Also this is mostly part of parenting your small lil' pal in order to show him how to have fun and be relatively quiet at the same time.

Going out for walk with her is nowadays ridiculously easy. As she's old she just walks around all by herself and takes the time she needs. When she was a pubby she wasn't a great walker, too. She wanted to go out a bit, look out who was around and who might be important to meet and that's it.

Looking forward to hear from you! Really interested if and how you decided and how he/she will go.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

What's up with so many of you being able to take your dog to work? I'd love to be able to do that. I fear that Panda is so bored at home while we're away.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Wow. I guess I was lucky with Otto as he NEVER barks. I mean, maybe once every few days he'll get excited enough during a play time that he'll let out one bark. But other than that, he's very quiet.

EDIT: On the flip side, Otto is afraid of the color black. All things black terrify him. No, he's not a racist dog. I mean like pitch black items around the house freak him out.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 4, 2014

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

What's up with so many of you being able to take your dog to work? I'd love to be able to do that. I fear that Panda is so bored at home while we're away.

Well Eevee had to interview and pass some qualification tests, but now she's a great supervisor!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I wish I could bring Panda to work and let her just chill in my office. I probably wouldn't get anything done but I know she'd probably be happier.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Another corgi office day. Tegan' care of business.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah for real. I don't think the museum would react well to a corgi running around, but it'd be awesome.

catamar
May 23, 2008
I had to fire Gansett again, he tipped over his water dish and knocked over more than one trash can. Holly's still my #1 direct report!

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014

I Might Be Adam posted:

Working in tech has helped me, I think... I've had three consecutive jobs that allow dogs (but unfortunately haven't been able to get one until now, so it's also been a bit frustrating). I do have a lot of friends in tech jobs who have never been allowed to bring dogs, so I guess it varies wildly and I've been lucky.

Also: I've done a bit more research and decided to start the corgi puppy hunt! I emailed a few breeders in my area this weekend and am excited to see what happens...

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Covalence again. Nearly 5 months old, probably 17 pounds now. About halfway done with puppy class! She's also ahead of the curve -- my husband has taught her to turn left, turn right, u-turn, halt (stop instantly and sit), and forward (to get her to stop sniffing and run), making it really easy to walk with her without her getting distracted.

Still having interesting eating issues. She gobbles a few mouthfuls of kibble, then distracts herself with the cat or toys or the window. I swear she wants to be a free-feeder, but I'm not doing that. Ambivalence the cat'll eat the kibble, and her own poop schedule will gently caress up too hard. At least we're able to get a full day's worth of food down her when we combine trading (eat some kibble, get an equivalent amount of chew time on the antler/bison ear) and tricks-for-food. UGH. Puppies.

Lots of teeth coming out lately; last night playing tug, a molar fell out and she got the Skinneez fox a little bloodstained.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I will just have to satiate my corgi need with the pictures in this thread. I've come to the conclusion that my place being above a row of garages that people are going in and out of all day would drive a little guy nuts with barks.

Bring on the corgi picture love.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Lola and I took a good long walk today. With all the melting snow and poo poo, she got a bit dirty so she got a rinse once we got home.

She wasnt totally thrilled about it, but shes cool now.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Gray Stormy posted:

Lola and I took a good long walk today. With all the melting snow and poo poo, she got a bit dirty so she got a rinse once we got home.

She wasnt totally thrilled about it, but shes cool now.

She's so adorable! Wet corgis are the incarnation of cuteness, especially if they don't really want it, but don't want to complain as well.

Speaking of complaining dogs:

Indra felt disturbed by my presence.

After a short argument with her I agreed to hand out her beloved monkey so she can continue the important business called sleeping.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Tegan is 5!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Happy Birthday, Birthday Dog!

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Such a happy puppy. :kimchi:

Dog why are you so dog?

Happy Birthday Tee!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This thread has gone too long without new photos, so here's an incredibly happy George:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

We took Panda to the beach for the first time last month and I just got around to getting the pictures off of the camera.

We also went to the dog park last night and ran into a 1 year old corgi and 5 month old corgi. They all ran around playing together trying to stay away from the horny chihuahua. Unfortunately my phone's HD was full so I couldn't get any good pictures, not like they would sit still long enough to get any pictures.

• Locked thread