Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Holy poo poo spencer ilu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
holy poo poo spencer, holy poo poo the duck joke

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The duck joke shirt that they mentioned: http://skreened.com/capitalecreations/dan-harmon-s-duck-joke

I will miss this podcast during April. :(

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
I'm not sure which I like more: "whore clerk," or "matron."

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I don't hate Erin, but it always feels like a bonus when she is not on the show. Also they need to get Bobcat back.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think Erin just tries too hard. Her jokes always seem to be accompanied by long awkward pauses, from both herself (expecting a laugh) and the audience (not giving it).

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Occasionally she is funny but as you say quiet often she strikes out badly, and there is also the danger of awkward emotional conversation, where what we really want is Spencer, mystic Jeff and Dan screeds.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure she's playing up the whole 'bad improv, worse timing' thing. Like, that's her 'character.'

(my character is apparently 'single quotation marks guy,' the guy who sarcastically frames everything with single quotation marks)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

When Erin hits, she really really hits but I think her main problem is that her personality means she's strangely enough the most egotistical of the group. Which is weird since Harmon is a classic narcissist and Jeff is his own right is pretty self obsessed. But with Erin she gets focused on something she thinks is funny or wants to take the spotlight away for the sake of humor out drama our whatever and what ends up happening is if it isn't hilarious or emotional or whatever it comes of what it is, Erin derailing the podcast for her own ends

One of the absolute best and conversely, absolute worst segments of Harmontown illustrates this in totality. The giant argument that gave us sharpies death had erin desperately trying to draw attention away to put on a show and that made the entire situation even more ludicrous and hilarious. Maybe this was in spite is her plans but her stubborn insistence on the show made the section all the more memorable

In contrast the portion where Erin as comptroller tries to force schrab and Dan to talk about each other's standup as if they were show promoters ruined what could've been a great segment of two best friends reminiscing about their early years together in favor of her lovely bit that was never funny in the first places

I dunno how accurate I am since I've never been there in person, yo Goldberg how close is this to reality

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like Erin but she's bad at D&D. Thats my Erin review.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
It's not like everyone takes D&D seriously except for Erin. Kumail is obsessed with dicks and Lady In Red, Jeff tries to gently caress everything that moves, and Dan gets too focused on story structure and motivation.

They're all just drunkenly having a good time, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Occupation posted:

I dunno how accurate I am since I've never been there in person
It's just one of those generational/performative things. I think people's podcast success is inversely proportional to how much they want and need to succeed. It's why Spencer is so lovable and authentic. He doesn't care. Kumail might care a little, but he's a standup star and can handle himself on the stage. Jeff plays to the crowd (a lot of facial expressions that obviously don't come across to the taped audience) but is happy to be there.

If my girlfriend had a personality podcast, it'd be very awkward to come out every week and carry the weight of our relationship. The less stage time you have, the more you have to make every word count, so Erin is almost always in the position of having to play catch up (let's address the show's core point...let's address whatever Dan said about our relationship...and let's not take too long so we can get D&D in).

My own failures are due to the time constriction as much as anything. My best appearance was by far was on "U.S.S. Hubris" where I was on stage for a longish segment and able to get the rhythm down. And now that my life is going a lot better than it was last year, I don't care as much if I'm on stage or not, so the Oscar appearance worked pretty well.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 3, 2014

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Erin is almost always in the position of having to play catch up (let's address the show's core point...let's address whatever Dan said about our relationship...and let's not take too long so we can get D&D in).
Nah, she doesn't need to catchup on anything. That might make things better.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Nemo posted:

It's not like everyone takes D&D seriously except for Erin. Kumail is obsessed with dicks and Lady In Red, Jeff tries to gently caress everything that moves, and Dan gets too focused on story structure and motivation.

They're all just drunkenly having a good time, and I wouldn't change a thing.

I obviously don't care and don't want them to take it seriously, that would ruin it. Sometimes Erin just starts screaming gibberish during it or something.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Erin is just the annoying drama club high school girl she claims she isn't anymore.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Here's Siike's Kickstarter: http://kck.st/1gVwp5o

Did any goons fund?

And this April break is gonna suck.

SoylentCola posted:

I don't hate Erin, but it always feels like a bonus when she is not on the show. Also they need to get Bobcat back.

Definitely agree. About 80% of the time her humor fails and ends up being disruptive.

braveplan fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 4, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Man could you imagine bobcat and Mitch on the same episode

Or, poo poo, Mitch and Robin Williams

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Anybody remember which episode has Rob Schrab doing his impression of Two-Face? Tonight's episode of Community had him doing Cobra Commander's voice and I'm jonesing for more dumb humor via his dumb voice.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CPColin posted:

Anybody remember which episode has Rob Schrab doing his impression of Two-Face? Tonight's episode of Community had him doing Cobra Commander's voice and I'm jonesing for more dumb humor via his dumb voice.

pretty sure it's number 73. I know te two face impression is during an episode where erin is comptroller and 75 is the one with the peeing the pants story, in which rob schrab does the callback twoface impression. So it's either 73 or 74 but p sure it's 73

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's the one! Starts at 1:20:10. Thanks!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Teaser of harmonquest is up

http://io9.com/exclusive-look-inside-dan-harmons-dungeons-dragons-g-1557106189

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone know why Jeff sounds quite a bit different from his whoseline days? I was surprised when it turned out to be him and I still am surprised that hear that voice come out of him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Whose line was like 11 years ago, it could just be the passage of time

Also it could be the fact that as he admits freely he's been an alcoholic loner for most to all of those past eleven years until he met his Scottish girlfriend so his lifestyle might've been a part of it

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I decided to start over from the very beginning listening through the Harmontown podcasts and there are two interesting things from episode 8.

1. It contained Dan's first recorded attempt to tell the duck joke and wow, it's even longer than his super recent re-telling.

2. I had completely forgotten about this but in their character creation Jeff's character is described as having an affinity for smoking and riddles, which is what Bill Mardigan's is all about. I love the effort Spencer puts in.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I miss Harmontown. It's a wonderful long walk podcast.

I wonder if there'll be any excuses for the last episodes of Community. It felt like a rushed Harmon operation.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I am seeing the Harmontown documentary next weekend, I'll report back. Has anyone else seen it/is planning to see it?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Holy crap why didn't I find out that it was playing in Toronto. I'm busy for both indoor screenings (they are probably sold out anyways.)
Do I need a pass for the outdoor screening on May 1?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't think so, I think you can just go watch it, it's an open area.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Dan Harmon was on Don't Ever Change recently. It's a podcast where guest comedians talk about their high school lives.

http://www.feralaudio.com/34-dan-harmon/

It's not Harmontown but maybe it'll sate you for a little longer.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Harmontown documentary is interesting. In the interest of time, and focusing more on Dan himself, it doesn't really explain the premise of the podcast and does a crappy job letting you know anything about Jeff or Erin (beyond "he co-hosts, she's his girlfriend"). That said, they don't gloss over the ugly stuff - the Pittsburgh fight episode is covered, as is Dan's horrible procrastination about the CBS and Fox pilots he was supposed to be writing rather than driving across the country drinking vodka and rapping about people's mamas.

It does a good job of showing Dan as he is - a really smart, talented guy who has some horrible problems and flaws. My favorite part of the movie are all these talking head interviews with "Harmenians" as well as people like Steve Agee, Community's cast, Sarah Silverman, Jack Black, Rob Schrab, etc. talking about Dan.

Definitely worth seeing if you get the chance. My girlfriend thought it was great despite only kinda liking Community and having never listened to the podcast. That said, a lot of old people looked grumpy and a few people left, but that's a documentary festival for you.

Hoping that Neil releases a double-length director's cut or something on the DVD, I could have watched that documentary for hours.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Are the Harmenians in the documentary as weirdly cultish as they are on the podcast?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Not really. They just say how people flock to him/the show because they feel like weird outcasts and he makes them feel less alone. Pretty standard

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Irish Joe posted:

Are the Harmenians in the documentary as weirdly cultish as they are on the podcast?

They are all Occupation wearing different skinsuits

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It's 5/1 motherfucker, where's my harmontown?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HUMAN FISH posted:

They are all Occupation wearing different skinsuits

Correct

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

KoRMaK posted:

It's 5/1 motherfucker, where's my harmontown?

Updates on mondays, not first-of-the-month-day's.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Here's something:

Harmotown Nights Preview
MP3

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
What is Harmontown Nights supposed to be? Another podcast?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I have no idea what that was, but the rap was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's the Baywatch Nights of Harmontown.

No I have no idea what it was but if it becomes a regular thing I probably won't listen to it.